Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:07 am If you buy an R you should also buy a regular Golf so you have the whole spectrum. You know, for fun.

:wtf:

Nah I'd pass on the R. Boxster gets my vote, assuming you like/want the top down experience. There wouldn't be much reason to get the R over a GTI Sport in the land of no winter, which you basically already own.
fair point is fair.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 am
dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am

golf arr =/= GTI
The real question is, why do you need yet another expensive vehicle? Hasn't this burned you in the past? Isn't your lawn already full with crap as it is?
my yard is plentiful and free of vehicles.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

dubshow wrote:
Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 am The real question is, why do you need yet another expensive vehicle? Hasn't this burned you in the past? Isn't your lawn already full with crap as it is?
Wild card option, :manuel: Cadillac ATS with a $300 t00n. Stealth :stig:
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am
dubshow wrote:
:notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am
dubshow wrote:
These are surprisingly cheap and quite :notbad: to drive.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:16 am Wild card option, :manuel: Cadillac ATS with a $300 t00n. Stealth :stig:
These are surprisingly cheap and quite :notbad: to drive.
I assume it could easily tow the FV and have space for some tools/spares.

Plus, when the FV breaks down you can use the Caddy to beat up on the CAM guys in style...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

More updates on this guy and his LS3 RX7 build. This car is really nice and well done.

http://www.the370z.com/other-vehicles/1 ... -r1-5.html
Desertbreh

dubshow wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:54 am

golf arr =/= GTI
The real question is, why do you need yet another expensive vehicle? Hasn't this burned you in the past? Isn't your lawn already full with crap as it is?
Do you even airboat bro?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh

Davestr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 pm More updates on this guy and his LS3 RX7 build. This car is really nice and well done.

Interesting....even though LS he went with the honking JDM single GREDDY BRO exhaust for stealth.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:28 pm
Do you even airboat bro?
I would
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Still :notsure: why someone would spend so much on an Ellis RX-7 swap when you could buy a :poorvette: that looks the same and does the same things for way less.

Cool build, :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:35 pm Still :notsure: why someone would spend so much on an Ellis RX-7 swap when you could buy a :poorvette: that looks the same and does the same things for way less.

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:35 pm Still :notsure: why someone would spend so much on an Ellis RX-7 swap when you could buy a :poorvette: that looks the same and does the same things for way less.

Because they can and the internet tells them they are stupid.
troyguitar

Apparently the ND miatas are breaking subframes in stock class autox from all that body roll... :fullretard:

Looks like Karcepts has been working on braces for them this year. Between that and the exploding transmissions I'm :notsure: I'd want to buy an ND/Fiata.
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:30 pm
Davestr wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:20 pm More updates on this guy and his LS3 RX7 build. This car is really nice and well done.

Interesting....even though LS he went with the honking JDM single GREDDY BRO exhaust for stealth.
I noticed but the fabrication work was cool. Is there a space issue that requires it?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:47 pm C5/6 with the glass top is pretty close.
LS3 C6 in a cool color with... an automatic... could well happen if we're rolling around metro Charlotte traffic for the foreseeable future. Affordable and has enough power to be :aintcare: about running the AC all the time plus enough space for DD/trips for the no kids/pets lyfe. The 3.42 rear end from a Z06 is a direct swap for the :flaccid: auto 2.73 or whatever and gives you :plaid: speed without any engine mods.

The fantasy land options are McLaren 720S, 6-speed NSX-T, maybe 348 Targa but ain't nobody got cash fo' dat shit.
For what y'all are looking to do, traffic around Charlotte won't be a big issue. It's really only rough if you're commuting at rush hour from the south or north sides.

The scrape is a real bitch :doe:
troyguitar

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: LS3 C6 in a cool color with... an automatic... could well happen if we're rolling around metro Charlotte traffic for the foreseeable future. Affordable and has enough power to be :aintcare: about running the AC all the time plus enough space for DD/trips for the no kids/pets lyfe. The 3.42 rear end from a Z06 is a direct swap for the :flaccid: auto 2.73 or whatever and gives you :plaid: speed without any engine mods.

The fantasy land options are McLaren 720S, 6-speed NSX-T, maybe 348 Targa but ain't nobody got cash fo' dat shit.
For what y'all are looking to do, traffic around Charlotte won't be a big issue. It's really only rough if you're commuting at rush hour from the south or north sides.

Dunno if you saw, but there's a good chance that we'll end up near you on the North side of town - new office being built in Mountain Island. I'd be regularly driving to the south/southeast sides of town, so traffic could be a real thing.

That's not why I keep thinking about eventually getting an auto though, I'm just assuming that at this point the chances of the wife ever learning :manuel: are near zero and I'd like to be able to take the fun/nice car on more trips without doing 100% of the driving.
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:31 pm Apparently the ND miatas are breaking subframes in stock class autox from all that body roll... :fullretard:

Looks like Karcepts has been working on braces for them this year. Between that and the exploding transmissions I'm :notsure: I'd want to buy an ND/Fiata.
:ohdang:

but they are designed to have that roll.

:triggered:
troyguitar

dubshow wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:31 pm Apparently the ND miatas are breaking subframes in stock class autox from all that body roll... :fullretard:

:ohdang:

but they are designed to have that roll.

:triggered:
They're not designed to be run with the grip levels from sticky tires, fancy shocks, race alignments, and giant front sway bars :doe:

Hopefully the $300 bolt on braces will fix it, they're still cool cars.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

For the better interior, seats, and build quality? :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I want an RX7 twin turbo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote:
D Griff wrote: For what y'all are looking to do, traffic around Charlotte won't be a big issue. It's really only rough if you're commuting at rush hour from the south or north sides.

Dunno if you saw, but there's a good chance that we'll end up near you on the North side of town - new office being built in Mountain Island. I'd be regularly driving to the south/southeast sides of town, so traffic could be a real thing.

That's not why I keep thinking about eventually getting an auto though, I'm just assuming that at this point the chances of the wife ever learning :manuel: are near zero and I'd like to be able to take the fun/nice car on more trips without doing 100% of the driving.
:word:

The North Side is nice other than the traffic which really blows, 77 at rush hour is :nope:

We live in Huntersville near the intersection of 73 and 115, solid neighborhood and pretty affordable. I'm not super familiar with the Mountain Island area.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Johnny_P wrote:I want an RX7 twin turbo
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

dgriff wrote:
[user not found] wrote:
I still want one.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:I want an RX7 twin turbo
I have looked into turbro'ing the RX8 or a base Cayman. Ballpark $10k to get LS power, would be kind of neat but also completely :fullretard: