9000 Placs Per Minute

Strut your greasy stuff!
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm People who pre-mix oil seem to use about the same amount as me. Mixing 0.5 oz/gal = at 15 mpg you're burning 50 oz per 100 gallons in 1500 miles, or about a quart per 1k.
:math:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:53 pm People who pre-mix oil seem to use about the same amount as me. Mixing 0.5 oz/gal = at 15 mpg you're burning 50 oz per 100 gallons in 1500 miles, or about a quart per 1k.
:dat:

Warmer weather is helping, got 18.3 mpg on the last tank, still driving it like a sports car (which is supposedly good for the engine, I'm not complaining...).

Next weekend (4/27) I'll be doing a full highway tank on the way out to its first national autox event. No chance of winning since RX8s are notoriously terrible at the drag launches in ProSolo, but it'll be a good test event anyway and should be fun too. Hopefully it'll be the first weekend of properly nice weather.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 pm
wap wrote:

Warmer weather is helping, got 18.3 mpg on the last tank, still driving it like a sports car (which is supposedly good for the engine, I'm not complaining...).

Next weekend (4/27) I'll be doing a full highway tank on the way out to its first national autox event. No chance of winning since RX8s are notoriously terrible at the drag launches in ProSolo, but it'll be a good test event anyway and should be fun too. Hopefully it'll be the first weekend of properly nice weather.
Think you'll break 25 mpg on an all highway tank?
troyguitar

wap wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:33 pm :dat:

Think you'll break 25 mpg on an all highway tank?
Haha not a chance. I'm hoping to break 20. I did 19.7 on the way home from FL when I bought the car, hoping that the tuneup plus warmer temps gets it to like 22 highway.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 pm
wap wrote: Think you'll break 25 mpg on an all highway tank?
Haha not a chance. I'm hoping to break 20. I did 19.7 on the way home from FL when I bought the car, hoping that the tuneup plus warmer temps gets it to like 22 highway.
In4results
dubshow
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: All of them

troyguitar wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:13 pm
wap wrote: Think you'll break 25 mpg on an all highway tank?
thats :impressive: bad mpg.

my jeep actually does about the same.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I had some Doritos with lunch today. Made me think of this thread.
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Apex wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:06 pm I had some Doritos with lunch today. Made me think of this thread.
Making me want Doritos now.
:doit:
troyguitar

Also had the PDR done today, it's hard to tell in photos but the car looks way better. Driver's door, rear passenger door, and right rear fender all had decent size parking lot dents that are 99% gone now.

Dr Colorchip stuff came in the mail today too, so I'm getting close to "done" working+spending on the car.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

From one bass boat to another. Lol.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

I like where this is going Troy. Keep the racing updates coming.
troyguitar

It's looking more like downsizing to one car will have been a good move for now. Chances of ending up in NC this summer just went up again - and maybe even in a bloody apartment for the first ~year. The original job on the East side of Charlotte (Midland) is still going through the application process, but another one on the NW side (Mountain Island) has come up and is moving more quickly. She's flying out tomorrow for an all day interview on Monday. The annoying part? The office hasn't been built yet. They've been operating out of Hickory, NC for years and will continue to do so until roughly a year from now, when this place is supposed to be ready:

https://www.mpvre.com/properties/riverbend-village/

They have no specs (or prices, or even whether they'll be for sale or for rent) available on the townhouses that are to be part of the development, so who knows if one of those will be an option. In the meantime, we'd either have to move to an apartment in Hickory for about a year and then move again to Charlotte or she'd have to commute an hour+ each way for a year if we moved straight to Charlotte. In theory one of those townhouses could be neat, she could literally walk to work and several stores. No way would I do it without a garage though. That NW side of town seems like kind of a no-man's land right now, there isn't much there in terms of houses or businesses but it's being developed quickly. :iono: :whocares:

The place is also, of course, a full 180 degrees on the other side of the I-485 loop from the hockey arena where I'd be driving to and from at least twice a week, ideally 5x a week at 70 miles and 70 minutes round trip with no traffic. :thanksobama:
troyguitar

On the actual car front: I spent this afternoon investigating my driver's seat and found that I could lower the rear of the bottom cushion by about an inch. Didn't have to remove the seat or modify anything; just remove 2 bolts, drop the seat pan from above a pair of L-brackets to below them, and replace the 2 bolts with longer ones. Mission Accomplished.

The seat is way better positioned now, not only lower at the bottom but more raked for leg support and the rear lumbar support hits at a higher (better) position. 5/7, eliminates my biggest complaint about the car.

Visual reference here:

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-you ... ost4579500

There are subtle differences between my seats and what others in the thread have, but it ended up working out to be pretty simple and the M8x1.25-30 bolt size was even correct. $5 in hardware for a major and reversible improvement? :fuckyeah:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:27 pm On the actual car front: I spent this afternoon investigating my driver's seat and found that I could lower the rear of the bottom cushion by about an inch. Didn't have to remove the seat or modify anything; just remove 2 bolts, drop the seat pan from above a pair of L-brackets to below them, and replace the 2 bolts with longer ones. Mission Accomplished.

The seat is way better positioned now, not only lower at the bottom but more raked for leg support and the rear lumbar support hits at a higher (better) position. 5/7, eliminates my biggest complaint about the car.

Visual reference here:

https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-do-you ... ost4579500

There are subtle differences between my seats and what others in the thread have, but it ended up working out to be pretty simple and the M8x1.25-30 bolt size was even correct. $5 in hardware for a major and reversible improvement? :fuckyeah:
:notbad:
troyguitar

Can confirm, lowering the seat bottom a bit game me enough room to not need to lean back to keep my helmet out of the curtain. It's now just brushing it with the seat at the proper angle. 5/7

A third of the cars still need to run today, but as of now I'm sitting 1st in PAX and 5th in raw time behind a couple of modded S2000s and a couple of Hoosier-shod cars.

The data looks like the car is doing about 1.15-1.20g or so sustained and 1.35g peak lateral... :stig:
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 pm Can confirm, lowering the seat bottom a bit game me enough room to not need to lean back to keep my helmet out of the curtain. It's now just brushing it with the seat at the proper angle. 5/7

A third of the cars still need to run today, but as of now I'm sitting 1st in PAX and 5th in raw time behind a couple of modded S2000s and a couple of Hoosier-shod cars.

The data looks like the car is doing about 1.15-1.20g or so sustained and 1.35g peak lateral... :stig:
:fuckyeah: :stig: :plaid:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote:Can confirm, lowering the seat bottom a bit game me enough room to not need to lean back to keep my helmet out of the curtain. It's now just brushing it with the seat at the proper angle. 5/7

:impressive: :stig:

Neat car dude!
wap

Apex wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:00 pm Can confirm, lowering the seat bottom a bit game me enough room to not need to lean back to keep my helmet out of the curtain. It's now just brushing it with the seat at the proper angle. 5/7

:fuckyeah: :stig: :plaid:
troyguitar

Dunno if you can do it the same on yours but there are a few seat mods detailed on miata.net so you should be able to do something similar. I really like it this way. It's even more comfortable in addition to being more sporty - and I can still adjust it back up with the ratcheting lever if needed.

It's :fullretard: how so many cars, especially sports cars, are not engineered to allow seats to be low enough... :poorvette: has the same damn problem.
Apex

troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm Dunno if you can do it the same on yours but there are a few seat mods detailed on miata.net so you should be able to do something similar. I really like it this way. It's even more comfortable in addition to being more sporty - and I can still adjust it back up with the ratcheting lever if needed.

It's :fullretard: how so many cars, especially sports cars, are not engineered to allow seats to be low enough... :poorvette: has the same damn problem.
Seats not only don't get low enough, but lack the adjustment to get appropriate seat base rake.
troyguitar

Apex wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:27 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:25 pm Dunno if you can do it the same on yours but there are a few seat mods detailed on miata.net so you should be able to do something similar. I really like it this way. It's even more comfortable in addition to being more sporty - and I can still adjust it back up with the ratcheting lever if needed.

Seats not only don't get low enough, but lack the adjustment to get appropriate seat base rake.
I've had less of an issue with that than with overall height. The low-tech :manuel: lever height adjusters usually only move one end of the seat, effectively giving you rake and height adjustment together... unfortunately they tend to operate on the front of the seat rather than the back, so max rake == max height. The Vibe seats, of all things, actually worked the opposite way so max rake was at min height which was nice.

In the age of 87-way power seats :doe: it should be possible to put the damn thing anywhere you want, same goes for steering wheels. Ergonomics are possibly the most important aspect of a "driver's car" IMO. If you aren't comfortable, you aren't likely to enjoy driving.
troyguitar

Uhh... Fun fact?

I made some fancy magnets to put my SCCA contingency stickers on tonight since I'm headed to a national event tomorrow. Then I went to put the cool rotor-shaped magnet I made on my hood and it didn't stick.

As it turns out, the RX8 has an aluminum hood and rear doors. The rest of the body and front doors are steel. I had no idea. :thanksobama:
troyguitar

Just put the car across the SCCA scales, it's 2896 lbs without me in it. Such lightness.

ImageImageImageImage
wap

:impressive:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:37 pm Just put the car across the SCCA scales, it's 2896 lbs without me in it. Such lightness.

ImageImageImageImage
Remove them stickers and lose 2 more lbs :triggered:

Not bad brah. Car looks great.