Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 am
Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Definitely enjoy the more laid back geometry over a race XC bike (I previously had a Stumpjumper) and the 27.5+ tires are like velcro. The Pivot Mach 429 Trail is a sweet ride and apparently the guys who own that company are great to work with. They all still ride and care about the bikes they are putting out (same deal for Santa Cruz).

I haven't dealt with Evil or Transition before so I don't have an opinion of them. People do really like Transition bikes though, so they could be a contender. If forums are crawling with Evil issues, I'd stay away just based on that.

Are you looking for a new bike? Or just looking? The new Santa Cruz's for this year are :wub:
Welcome to the vortex of Johnny Wasteful waxing poetic about bikes he won't buy. :hue:
Fuckin rookies.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

So I tried cleaning up whatever was on my seatpost and it might've been carbon paste. It was grey and smelled pretty bad. We'll see how the post holds without it.

Should I do anything specific before my first ride aside from the obvious check tires, lube chain, etc. My brakes are squealing like crazy. Does the fork need anything? I've never had hydro discs or an air fork.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

So I’m back at the lot after 6 miles around Walking Purchase/Sal’s up by Allentown. Sheri’s doing the ladies ride clinic with Liv and Saucon Valley Cycles. I’m really impressed with the setup they have and I watched a little bit of the instruction before I went off on my own.

Fuck me, this place kicked my ass. 6 miles in 1:30, and I barely did 2/3 of the main loop before I had to bail and take the road out. My janky arm started aching after about an hour and I was at the lowest point of the park.

I’m obviously not in bike shape, or shape at all. This place has a ton of rolling rocky terrain. It’s basically the rock garden section of Nox, with a bit of the bouldery section of baldpate thrown in to mix it up.

It’s constant.

And a ton of fun. I got some video. Endo’d Once, bounced off a few trees, and hit a couple of nice kickers. By far and away the toughest ride I’ve seen. It was Awesome.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

fledonfoot wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:00 pm So I’m back at the lot after 6 miles around Walking Purchase/Sal’s up by Allentown. Sheri’s doing the ladies ride clinic with Liv and Saucon Valley Cycles. I’m really impressed with the setup they have and I watched a little bit of the instruction before I went off on my own.

Fuck me, this place kicked my ass. 6 miles in 1:30, and I barely did 2/3 of the main loop before I had to bail and take the road out. My janky arm started aching after about an hour and I was at the lowest point of the park.

I’m obviously not in bike shape, or shape at all. This place has a ton of rolling rocky terrain. It’s basically the rock garden section of Nox, with a bit of the bouldery section of baldpate thrown in to mix it up.

It’s constant.

And a ton of fun. I got some video. Endo’d Once, bounced off a few trees, and hit a couple of nice kickers. By far and away the toughest ride I’ve seen. It was Awesome.
:notbad:

Rock gardens scare the crap out of me.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:21 pm
fledonfoot wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:00 pm So I’m back at the lot after 6 miles around Walking Purchase/Sal’s up by Allentown. Sheri’s doing the ladies ride clinic with Liv and Saucon Valley Cycles. I’m really impressed with the setup they have and I watched a little bit of the instruction before I went off on my own.

It’s constant.

Time for some non-alcoholic training. :hue:
:gtfo:
I had an alcohol sponsored pit stop at White Clay today :jimp:
Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm So I tried cleaning up whatever was on my seatpost and it might've been carbon paste. It was grey and smelled pretty bad. We'll see how the post holds without it.

Should I do anything specific before my first ride aside from the obvious check tires, lube chain, etc. My brakes are squealing like crazy. Does the fork need anything? I've never had hydro discs or an air fork.

Air fork should get a rebuild after about 2 years. Just seals and oil.
Hydro discs should need nothing. If the lever goes to the bar you need to bleed them.
Keep the chain clean ish and lubed.
Just pump up the tires and go shred.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:40 am
Bandit wrote: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:31 pm

I bought a Santa Cruz Chameleon a few months ago and I absolutely love it. Definitely enjoy the more laid back geometry over a race XC bike (I previously had a Stumpjumper) and the 27.5+ tires are like velcro. The Pivot Mach 429 Trail is a sweet ride and apparently the guys who own that company are great to work with. They all still ride and care about the bikes they are putting out (same deal for Santa Cruz).

I haven't dealt with Evil or Transition before so I don't have an opinion of them. People do really like Transition bikes though, so they could be a contender. If forums are crawling with Evil issues, I'd stay away just based on that.

Are you looking for a new bike? Or just looking? The new Santa Cruz's for this year are :wub:
Welcome to the vortex of Johnny Wasteful waxing poetic about bikes he won't buy. :hue:
:wub: you too, boo
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:45 pm

It’s constant.

:notbad:

Rock gardens scare the crap out of me.
:dat:

Especially since I've got no pads of any kind.
Johnny_P

White Clay was super fun today. Killer 88 degree weather!
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:04 pm So I tried cleaning up whatever was on my seatpost and it might've been carbon paste. It was grey and smelled pretty bad. We'll see how the post holds without it.

Air fork should get a rebuild after about 2 years. Just seals and oil.
Hydro discs should need nothing. If the lever goes to the bar you need to bleed them.
Keep the chain clean ish and lubed.
Just pump up the tires and go shred.
:like:

Brake levers seemed normal. Brakes themselves were crazy loud, probably from sitting all those months. Hopefully we can ride next week.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Just call me :wasteful: 2.0.

I almost pulled the trigger on the Fathom today, but something about that bike just doesn't feel quite right. I'm smack dab inbetween sizes and neither the medium nor the large is a great fit. The front end on the Medium feels a little low and the top tube is a just bit short, it's definitely not as trail-oriented as the Trance despite having the same 67* head angle. The Large is okay on the reach, maybe a hair long, but somehow I feel like I'm up quite a bit higher on the bigger size and it's not exactly comfortable.

I had the salesbro pull a medium Trance just to compare the riding position and it was just "ahhhh...yep, this is exactly what I remember". I feel like I sit lower but the bars are higher. It's not a particularly progressive bike by modern standards anymore, but compared to the Fathom it's much more confidence inspiring. On the Fathom it feels like as soon as the bike is nose-down I'm going to be feeling sketchy, but the front end of the Trance is high enough to make me feel like I can keep the bike in front of me in the rowdy stuff.

The shop said they'd do $2,600 for the Trance 2 ($2,890 MSRP), but would only come down to $1,400 on the Fathom 1 ($1,480 MSRP). I also didn't like the lower-spec Shimano brake levers on the Fathom, they don't have an adjustable reach like the SLX brakes, plus there's still the front tire that would need to be replaced right off the bat.

But then, $2,600 plus 7% sales tax and I'm at $2,782, at which point I might as well see if the dude with the TA1 would do $3k. Fack. :csb:
Johnny_P

2600 sounds like a great price on a killer bike with a good warranty. Doit.

You could put a shorter stem on the large fathom. Bonus is itlll speed up the handling. I love the 50mm chub stem I put on my 29er. That bike rips now.

Or put a stem with a bit of rise and spacers under it to raise the bars on the medium. A bit longer stem will slow the steering a tad.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:2600 sounds like a great price on a killer bike with a good warranty. Doit.

You could put a shorter stem on the large fathom. Bonus is itlll speed up the handling. I love the 50mm chub stem I put on my 29er. That bike rips now.

Or put a stem with a bit of rise and spacers under it to raise the bars on the medium. A bit longer stem will slow the steering a tad.
2018 Fathom actually already comes with a 50mm stem, so not really much room to go shorter. And I really don't want to run a riser on the medium. I don't think the medium Fathom would be terrible, but the Trance is just such a better fit. We shall see.

Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:58 pm
Johnny_P wrote:2600 sounds like a great price on a killer bike with a good warranty. Doit.

2018 Fathom actually already comes with a 50mm stem, so not really much room to go shorter. And I really don't want to run a riser on the medium. I don't think the medium Fathom would be terrible, but the Trance is just such a better fit. We shall see.

Will they let you demo it?
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:33 pm Welp, just ordered a Peloton.

Been trying to drag the wife to spin class for 5 years to no avail, she suggested the Peloton for the both of us.

0% financing for 39 months, $103/mo including a 39 month membership. I'll drop my current gym membership for $60/mo and replace it with this for the both of us.

Overall it was an easy transaction, just a little irritated they wouldn't waive the setup fee since I don't need that. Was a spin bike mechanic for a few years in college.

But whatever. in4gettingthewifeonabikeagain
:ohdang:

My boss and her husband have one and her husband loves it! In4resultsgettingwifeonabike
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Apex wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:18 pm

My boss and her husband have one and her husband loves it! In4resultsgettingwifeonabike
Yeah, she even said, "after I get some fitness back we can ride with Fled and Mrs. Fled again."

:fuckyeah:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Yeah, she even said, "after I get some fitness back we can ride with Fled and Mrs. Fled again."

Again?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 pm Will they let you demo it?
I highly doubt it, but I just e-mailed my salesbro to see.

Facebook dude is willing to do $3,100 on the Trance Advanced 1. For $300 more than the Trance 2 it's a no-brainer, but that's still double what the Fathom would cost. If I could get the Fathom out on some trails and know I'd be comfortable on it I'd save the $1,500 in a heartbeat and just do that, but the last thing I want to do is drop a not insignificant $1,600 on the Fathom and not be happy with it. Already went through that once.
Last edited by coogles on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Hai! New to the forum, nice to see such a tight knit biking forum. Just dropped $500 on a Trek hybri...

(Reads previous post)

I’ll see myself out.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Johnny_P

Calvinball wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:55 pm Hai! New to the forum, nice to see such a tight knit biking forum. Just dropped $500 on a Trek hybri...

(Reads previous post)

I’ll see myself out.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:hai:
Johnny_P

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:34 pm

Again?
:lolol:
Johnny_P

Gf wants to rent mountain bikes in Asheville :fuckyeah:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote:Gf wants to rent mountain bikes in Asheville :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: :jelly:

fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:52 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:48 pm Will they let you demo it?
I highly doubt it, but I just e-mailed my salesbro to see.

Facebook dude is willing to do $3,100 on the Trance Advanced 1. For $300 more than the Trance 2 it's a no-brainer, but that's still double what the Fathom would cost. If I could get the Fathom out on some trails and know I'd be comfortable on it I'd save the $1,500 in a heartbeat and just do that, but the last thing I want to do is drop a not insignificant $1,600 on the Fathom and not be happy with it. Already went through that once.
I don’t think I could ever ride a hardtail ever again after a year on the Occam. I toyed with the idea of building a 27.5+ trail bike a Few weeks back but after riding around Sals yesterday, I’m firmly in the full squish camp.
Johnny_P

coogles wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:21 pm
Johnny_P wrote:Gf wants to rent mountain bikes in Asheville :fuckyeah:
:fuckyeah: :jelly:

Found a place I can rent a Hightower from :jimp: