Dem bicicletas, doe

Health, fitness, and nutrition freaks, lets see those gainz.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am Incoming order:

SRAM X9 hubs on Mavic XC421 tubeless rams
Renthal Fatbar 740mm wide 10mm rise
Azonic 50mm stem

That's $314 of shit that the bike needed.
Will eventually order SLX 1x11 groupset. $300 more of shit that the bike doesn't exactly need. But I want it. I'm going to keep this bike even though I want a FS, it's only worth like $350 used tops but lifetime frame warranty and it's a good one. Fork kind of sucks I guess, meh, QR and 100mm travel and whatnot but :whocares: it's still good for Belmont and Wiss. So question is could I have bought a better hardtail for $900? I dunno, I think it would be about even but no warranty if you buy used so there's that.

So I'll be left with silver headset spacers and headset, and a silver seat post which will look horribad but I dunno. Might eventually get a dropper post, or just spray paint the seatpost? Thoughts?

For the road bike I :troywax: 'd on a carbon fiber seatpost to smooth out the ride. The ride was just too stiff with the new Zipp Service Course SL seatpost. It's a 2-bolt Ritchey Superlogic Link.... it was too expensive but if it prevents a bike purchase it's good. I'll also put my Giant stem back on it because I don't think the change to the Zipp stem was a good one. It's too short, the handling got wonky with it.

Roadie might get those used Zipp 202 FC's I linked earlier. $1200 is :waxer: buuuttttttt they should have good resale and should fit in my bike from what I can gather. They'll also massively help with the ride. I tested a set of Reynolds Assaults a while ago and loved the ride and stiffness but the braking was bad. These should brake a lot better while still delivering most of the stiffness (they're shallower) and all of the ride comfort at a lower price than those were.

I think I'm going to get an All City Macho King. It's just right for what I want to do with a CX'y bike, which is string road and dirt/singletrack together for all day epic rides. A Crux is too aggressive for that, really. The only other pick would be a Kona Major Jake, but I'm attracted to the steel bike.
not :wasteful: enough, you can do better
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:54 am Incoming order:

SRAM X9 hubs on Mavic XC421 tubeless rams
Renthal Fatbar 740mm wide 10mm rise
Azonic 50mm stem

That's $314 of shit that the bike needed.
Will eventually order SLX 1x11 groupset. $300 more of shit that the bike doesn't exactly need. But I want it. I'm going to keep this bike even though I want a FS, it's only worth like $350 used tops but lifetime frame warranty and it's a good one. Fork kind of sucks I guess, meh, QR and 100mm travel and whatnot but :whocares: it's still good for Belmont and Wiss. So question is could I have bought a better hardtail for $900? I dunno, I think it would be about even but no warranty if you buy used so there's that.

So I'll be left with silver headset spacers and headset, and a silver seat post which will look horribad but I dunno. Might eventually get a dropper post, or just spray paint the seatpost? Thoughts?

For the road bike I :troywax: 'd on a carbon fiber seatpost to smooth out the ride. The ride was just too stiff with the new Zipp Service Course SL seatpost. It's a 2-bolt Ritchey Superlogic Link.... it was too expensive but if it prevents a bike purchase it's good. I'll also put my Giant stem back on it because I don't think the change to the Zipp stem was a good one. It's too short, the handling got wonky with it.

Roadie might get those used Zipp 202 FC's I linked earlier. $1200 is :waxer: buuuttttttt they should have good resale and should fit in my bike from what I can gather. They'll also massively help with the ride. I tested a set of Reynolds Assaults a while ago and loved the ride and stiffness but the braking was bad. These should brake a lot better while still delivering most of the stiffness (they're shallower) and all of the ride comfort at a lower price than those were.

I think I'm going to get an All City Macho King. It's just right for what I want to do with a CX'y bike, which is string road and dirt/singletrack together for all day epic rides. A Crux is too aggressive for that, really. The only other pick would be a Kona Major Jake, but I'm attracted to the steel bike.
My order total yesterday was $630 :scrooge:
Will :troywax: on :boxodicks: drivetrain upgrade for MTB $300
Will hopefully :troywax: on a Macho King this week $2400? Wednesday should be free to do that.
Will hopefully :troywax: on new MTB early this year, maybe even in the next week. The ones I've been looking at are $4k.

$7300 in bike shit. Not worth more than my car. I'm DIW.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Ok, over 500 on bike PARTS is :wasteful: enough
:bravo:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:04 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:02 pm
Ok, over 500 on bike PARTS is :wasteful: enough
:bravo:
Yeah $300 for a handle bar, stem, and wheels on one bike.
$240 for a fucking seatpost
The rest (I can't math) in purple water bottle cages and teal bar tape for GF's bike
Johnny_P

Last Location:

Departed - Compton, CA, United States, Wednesday, 02/21/2018
Bike parts are straight outta Compton :mahtroy:

My new rams get to be stolen off my doorstep tomorrow :popcorn:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am
Last Location:

Departed - Compton, CA, United States, Wednesday, 02/21/2018

:notbad: You bought stolen parts that will be stolen from your stoop.
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:20 am

FedEx says they need a signature. :notsure: if I can change it so I can pick it up somewhere else. I can do that with UPS, there's a package locker close by if I feel the need or I can go to the :mahtroy: UPS customer service center which is :gag:
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 am
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:27 am

FedEx says they need a signature. :notsure: if I can change it so I can pick it up somewhere else. I can do that with UPS, there's a package locker close by if I feel the need or I can go to the :mahtroy: UPS customer service center which is :gag:
Send it to the covfefe shop? :iono:
Johnny_P

Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 am

I probably should have done that
Apex

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:46 am
Apex wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:43 am

I probably should have done that
Maybe you can get it changed online with the carrier since it now requires a signature?
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Today is so nice. I wish I could ride. :(

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Johnny_P

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:50 pm Today is so nice. I wish I could ride. :(

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
YNOTTHO?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:15 pm Schwinn is gonna go under the knife this year.

I'm looking at doing a threadless stem conversion, and adding a set of these to the bike:

And this saddle:

With this bar tape:

I also want to get the frame stripped down and paint it a nice dark metallic blue, and do a chrome fork.
The Ritchey classic stuff looks great. I like threaded stems though. IMO they look far better. Love the chrome fork idea.

How :waxer: will all this be? I'm assuming you'll spray paint the frame in your garage or are you thinking powdercoat?
Johnny_P

Hm. That stem looks a little odd ish.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:36 pm Hm. That stem looks a little odd ish.
I also just found Velo Orange.

I need to take a look around their site, might've found my one-stop shop for vintage-fitting parts.
They make really nice stuff. So does Nitto.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:27 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:32 pm

They make really nice stuff. So does Nitto.
I really like their quill stem adapter.

That looks really :notbad: at all
Johnny_P

If you're getting a chromey fork doe can't you just get a threadless one, and a new headset? They're pretty cheap overall, cost would be a wash to do that vs an adapter to use a threadless stem. Not sure who makes a chrome 1" threadless fork.... :notsure:

All City makes a white one. Can find plenty of Surly black ones. Maybe Soma?
Johnny_P

OMFG Velo Orange makes gum hoods that fit Superbe Pro levers :wub: :wub: :wub:

Gum or black?
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:25 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:06 pm If you're getting a chromey fork doe can't you just get a threadless one, and a new headset? They're pretty cheap overall, cost would be a wash to do that vs an adapter to use a threadless stem. Not sure who makes a chrome 1" threadless fork.... :notsure:

All City makes a white one. Can find plenty of Surly black ones. Maybe Soma?
Soma makes a 1" threadless steerer 700c fork made of Tange CroMo: http://store.somafab.com/lutrfo.html

Still, that's $149. Plus then I'd need a new threadless headset at $30-40. Plus install.

The VO Adapter is only $16, VO stem is $35. Ritchey classic bars are $45.

OR... I just get the VO 44cm 26.2 bars for $60, order the saddle and tape, and call it day for $140.

https://velo-orange.com/collections/han ... round-bend

The question is, how deep do I want to dive down the rabbit hole?
Soma makes good shit. Depends on what you want to do with the bike and how you want it to look in the end. Installing a headset is easy though, just need a piece of allthread and some washers and nuts.
Johnny_P

Ordered black brake hoods, 4mm ferrule adapters for my brakes, and new brake pads and shoes all for the steel bike.
:wub: Velo Orange makes all this stuff.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:22 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:36 pm

Soma makes good shit. Depends on what you want to do with the bike and how you want it to look in the end. Installing a headset is easy though, just need a piece of allthread and some washers and nuts.
Yeah, Soma is legit.

I want to build the Schwinn up as a casual rider, winter trainer, & century bike. But I want to build a good looking bike, too.

I'll post pics of it in a bit, Photobucket is the only place I have them hosted. :flaccid:

It's a comfy bike on long hauls.
Yeah my Havnoonian slays my Cervelo for comfort. Not even in the same playing field. It's why I haven't gotten rid of it yet.
Really want to find a 7-speed freewheel for it that's geared more appropriately for this area.
Johnny_P

My cassette on the steel bike is a 13-24
Chainrings are 53-39

Suntour has :unicorn: spacing between sprockets in that it changes as you go up the cassette to keep the distance the chain moves the same instead of keeping the distance between sprockets the same. So only Suntour cassettes work if you want to keep indexed shifting. Which is annoying. Also annoying the rear derailleur can only accept up to a 26, MAYBE a 28 if you have a :unicorn: rear. So we'll just assume a 28 won't work.

So I found a 13-26 suntour cassette on fleabay for $48. And apparently the crank is 130BCD spacing so I can go down to a 38 small ring in the front. I'm guessing that would be in the $30 range for a new ring.

So, $78 + shipping to get me from:
39/24 low = 1.625
to
38/26 low = 1.46

Would make it about equivalent to a compact 34T crank with a 24T rear gear which is a tad lower at 1.42. So it'll never get as low as my Cervelo (34/26 = 1.30) but it'll get within the same playing field.

Worth it?

I kind of want to nuke this groupset and just get some 10 speed Campy on it. But it's worth a shitload and really makes the bike special.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:56 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:59 pm My cassette on the steel bike is a 13-24
Chainrings are 53-39

Suntour has :unicorn: spacing between sprockets in that it changes as you go up the cassette to keep the distance the chain moves the same instead of keeping the distance between sprockets the same. So only Suntour cassettes work if you want to keep indexed shifting. Which is annoying. Also annoying the rear derailleur can only accept up to a 26, MAYBE a 28 if you have a :unicorn: rear. So we'll just assume a 28 won't work.

So I found a 13-26 suntour cassette on fleabay for $48. And apparently the crank is 130BCD spacing so I can go down to a 38 small ring in the front. I'm guessing that would be in the $30 range for a new ring.

So, $78 + shipping to get me from:
39/24 low = 1.625
to
38/26 low = 1.46

Would make it about equivalent to a compact 34T crank with a 24T rear gear which is a tad lower at 1.42. So it'll never get as low as my Cervelo (34/26 = 1.30) but it'll get within the same playing field.

Worth it?

I kind of want to nuke this groupset and just get some 10 speed Campy on it. But it's worth a shitload and really makes the bike special.
Go Campy and ride it.

I run newer Ultegra/105 on the Schwinn and it makes riding that bike so much more enjoyable. 38/52 in the front, 11/28 in the rear.
I wonder what I could sell a near-perfect Suntour Superbe Pro groupset for. These parts are worth quite a bit. I bet that would fund a pre-owned Chorus STI or new Potenza silver groupset. Outside of wheels at least. I mean I even have the seatpost.

I wonder if current wheels will fit in the frame... I bet its 126mm spacing. Should work doe.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:06 pm

I wonder what I could sell a near-perfect Suntour Superbe Pro groupset for. These parts are worth quite a bit. I bet that would fund a pre-owned Chorus STI or new Potenza silver groupset. Outside of wheels at least. I mean I even have the seatpost.

I wonder if current wheels will fit in the frame... I bet its 126mm spacing. Should work doe.
If it's 126 spacing you can fit modern road wheels. The Schwinn is 126 and I fit a 130 hub in there with a little lube.
130s fit fine with a tad bit of coaxing. I used the i9 wheels. Interestingly enough, it appears these wheels are out of center. Asheville's finest wheelbuilding artisans must have been hung over at work and didn't center the fucking truing stand. Majorly disappointing to have to get two brand new wheels re-trued because they're dished out of center. Would never happen with Mavic, Fulcrum, or Shimano. Or a local wheelbuilder. And if it did I could just take it back and say WTF? and they'd fix it on the spot...

I could use these silver rams, and get a shimano or sram drivetrain. Or upgrade the Cervelo and use the Rival parts from that. Wouldn't look as good doe, the Havnoonian deserves polished silver parts which nobody but Campy makes anymore. I also think it deserves a more unique drivetrain which is why I was leaning to Potenza or used Campy.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:35 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
130s fit fine with a tad bit of coaxing. I used the i9 wheels. Interestingly enough, it appears these wheels are out of center. Asheville's finest wheelbuilding artisans must have been hung over at work and didn't center the fucking truing stand. Majorly disappointing to have to get two brand new wheels re-trued because they're dished out of center. Would never happen with Mavic, Fulcrum, or Shimano. Or a local wheelbuilder. And if it did I could just take it back and say WTF? and they'd fix it on the spot...

I could use these silver rams, and get a shimano or sram drivetrain. Or upgrade the Cervelo and use the Rival parts from that. Wouldn't look as good doe, the Havnoonian deserves polished silver parts which nobody but Campy makes anymore. I also think it deserves a more unique drivetrain which is why I was leaning to Potenza or used Campy.
I’d sell the Cervelo. Upgrade the Houdini. And buy a MTB.

:trollface:
We will see if this waxer seatpost fixes my Cervelo. If not then I plan on doing just that. Might give new wheels a shot.