Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:49 am
Detroit wrote: Solid upgrade. I might steal this concept to build a side door for Bag End. There's an arched entrance to the area where the dog :poop: that's now just a nasty chain link thing. Wife has been interested in upgrading that for a while, we were just never sure with what. That would do it.

5/7 upgrade.
Don't you have some old barn wood to use for that?
Probably. But I don't think it'll stand up to the elements for too long. I'd rather do what desertwaxer did but probably make my own.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:27 am The Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup in 2013/2015, meanwhile our Captain wonders why everyone is honking and waving a flag of some Native person.
:lolol:
I watched both those series' :doe: :iono:
:derp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:08 am Wron doesn't know hockey and lives in Chicago? :wtf:
:rolleyes:
I missed one sportspuck reference and now I'm :gay: er than a room full of :crang: s? :gtfo:
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:03 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:17 pm The only reason I posted the price because others asked about the other. I don't update my house every week like Detroit, just trying to keep up.
I am the house :waxer: captain. Nobody can keep up with me.

Just had the $2,500 RANGE delivered and installed yesterday. I installed the $750 dishwasher we didn't need while that was going on. Today we swap out the fridge with the one we got as Sears outlet for an eye-watering $1,500. Nearly $5k in appliances in a month. What a moran. We'll be broke and poor the rest of our lives. #yolo :aintcare:
:notsure: but I think I was the :waxer: king with our :house: upgrades over the last dozen years or so. Not that I'm particularly proud of that, mind you. :lol:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:49 am

Just had the $2,500 RANGE delivered and installed yesterday. I installed the $750 dishwasher we didn't need while that was going on. Today we swap out the fridge with the one we got as Sears outlet for an eye-watering $1,500. Nearly $5k in appliances in a month. What a moran. We'll be broke and poor the rest of our lives. #yolo :aintcare:
:notsure: but I think I was the :waxer: king with our :house: upgrades over the last dozen years or so. Not that I'm particularly proud of that, mind you. :lol:
:dat:

$20k on landscaping... :fullretard:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

I dropped $60k into my house this summer on things that weren't 100% needed, but made the house better as well and made me happier.... and I hope to sell it in the next couple years. I have a feeling I'm winning the "could have sold the house easily as it was but went :fullretard: on changes anyway" award.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:54 am

$20k on landscaping... :fullretard:
There is more to list, too. :rolleyes:
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm

I dropped $60k into my house this summer on things that weren't 100% needed, but made the house better as well and made me happier.... and I hope to sell it in the next couple years. I have a feeling I'm winning the "could have sold the house easily as it was but went :fullretard: on changes anyway" award.
:impressive:

I dropped $40 large a few years ago on new CEDAR siding because I was tired of paying $10k every 4-6 years to have the house painted.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:03 pm

I dropped $40 large a few years ago on new CEDAR siding because I was tired of paying $10k every 4-6 years to have the house painted.
I can see that... and paint is only going up in price for materials.

We had our exterior painted this last year and it will be the last time. I'm selling this place before it needs new paint.

Hell, we paid about $1200 for interior paint and we got it at 40% off via my friend that is a painter. I got to use his account at Kelly Moore and bought all the paint we needed (or thought we needed) multiple times. If you're not buying the bottom of the line flat paint, this stuff is expensive.
ChrisoftheNorth

You can :waxer: all you want, but I'm Pinshit level: Expert

Behold:

Century old barnwood :triggered:
$20 worth of plumbing supplies :triggered:
Place for plates to get nice and greasy :triggered:

While I'm still against the concept, I can admit this looks pretty cool. Going to add two more shelves above each for a total of 6. That'll come next week since the bottom shelves were just proof of concept.

Each pipe is connected to the wall via 4 toggle anchors with a claimed 158lb rating...158x4x2. They might outlast the house.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

BTW, that new range is :tits: it's GE's top level and legit nice. The knobs rival what we felt on high end pro units from DCS and viking. The middle screen is a highly sensitive capacitve touch screen that works really nice. PLUS, the fucker connects to wifi so we can tell it to pre-heat to whatever without even touching it.

:triggered: :millennial: :crang:
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:42 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:07 pm

We had our exterior painted this last year and it will be the last time. I'm selling this place before it needs new paint.

Hell, we paid about $1200 for interior paint and we got it at 40% off via my friend that is a painter. I got to use his account at Kelly Moore and bought all the paint we needed (or thought we needed) multiple times. If you're not buying the bottom of the line flat paint, this stuff is expensive.
Yea it was a good move imo. We already had the house painted twice so it'll eventually pay for itself.

Here's another example: Our appliances cost $12 grand - in 2006. :lol:
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm You can :waxer: all you want, but I'm Pinshit level: Expert

Behold:

While I'm still against the concept, I can admit this looks pretty cool. Going to add two more shelves above each for a total of 6. That'll come next week since the bottom shelves were just proof of concept.

Each pipe is connected to the wall via 4 toggle anchors with a claimed 158lb rating...158x4x2. They might outlast the house.
I cannot, and will not, compete with you on pinshit shit.

5/7 looks.
0/7 functionality.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:44 pm BTW, that new range is :tits: it's GE's top level and legit nice. The knobs rival what we felt on high end pro units from DCS and viking. The middle screen is a highly sensitive capacitve touch screen that works really nice. PLUS, the fucker connects to wifi so we can tell it to pre-heat to whatever without even touching it.

:triggered: :millennial: :crang:
:impressive: piece of :millennial: :rolleyes: tech.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Wow, those are some nice slabs of barnyard! I love the look.

In4InfamousRequestingShelves to be 3" lower.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:42 pm You can :waxer: all you want, but I'm Pinshit level: Expert

Behold:

5/7 looks.
0/7 functionality.
The crazy thing, we might have a paying gig coming up from this.

Wife had a friend come over and ask if we'd consider upgrading her kitchen in a similar manner if she paid us. Wife just sent her pictures of the shelves and friend responded "when can you start?"

No idea what to charge. We're going to talk it over. Getting paid to pinshit seems :notsure: but equally :fuckyeah: This is easy for us but :nope: for many others.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:42 pm

Yea it was a good move imo. We already had the house painted twice so it'll eventually pay for itself.

Yep, been there too. We moved in and bought top of the line GE Arctica / Profile shit in white, then 18 months later replaced them all with almost the same units in Stainless, then GE quality struck and our $3400 fridge took a crap after 3 or 4 years... after a few more years on a couple replacement units and we spent another ~$9000 on appliances in 2016. This is all basic stuff too, I'm glad we did this now instead of in the next house that will have the massive cooktops and really high end stuff. The next stuff we get is going to last the rest of our lives, I refuse to buy shit that can't be easily repaired again.. most of the consumer appliances are considered disposable these days.

You know, growing up my family had appliances that lasted through the 70's and 80's w/o any issues..... Sure, some of them were avocado green, but they all worked like a champ and I believe they were used much more often and harder than the ones I've owned.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 pm Wow, those are some nice slabs of barnyard! I love the look.

SOLID oak. These things were beams or something. Legit sturdy.

We spent a ton of time debating shelf height before we tiled. I told her that I won't drill into the tile, so this is what she gets.

She probably will ask for it to be lower, doe.

:triggered:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Behold:

:gag:

Sorry bro not a fan. Glad you like it :doe:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:11 pm Wow, those are some nice slabs of barnyard! I love the look.

:lolol:
And 1" to the left.
wap

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:14 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:07 pm

5/7 looks.
0/7 functionality.
The crazy thing, we might have a paying gig coming up from this.

Wife had a friend come over and ask if we'd consider upgrading her kitchen in a similar manner if she paid us. Wife just sent her pictures of the shelves and friend responded "when can you start?"

No idea what to charge. We're going to talk it over. Getting paid to pinshit seems :notsure: but equally :fuckyeah: This is easy for us but :nope: for many others.
Whoa. That's crazy. Pinshitforprofit. :mindblown:
wap

Can you legally do that without being licensed and insured, etc?
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:15 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:06 pm

Yep, been there too. We moved in and bought top of the line GE Arctica / Profile shit in white, then 18 months later replaced them all with almost the same units in Stainless, then GE quality struck and our $3400 fridge took a crap after 3 or 4 years... after a few more years on a couple replacement units and we spent another ~$9000 on appliances in 2016. This is all basic stuff too, I'm glad we did this now instead of in the next house that will have the massive cooktops and really high end stuff. The next stuff we get is going to last the rest of our lives, I refuse to buy shit that can't be easily repaired again.. most of the consumer appliances are considered disposable these days.

You know, growing up my family had appliances that lasted through the 70's and 80's w/o any issues..... Sure, some of them were avocado green, but they all worked like a champ and I believe they were used much more often and harder than the ones I've owned.
That was our thought, too. And I know what you mean about those old :scrooge: appliances lasting forever. I am convinced it's because they were so mechanically simple, without :fullretard: motherboards and :ludacris: electronic doo dads. I made sure our :waxer: range was as mechanically simple and electronic-free as possible to hopefully insure a long life. So far, 11.5 years in and it's working like a champ.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:26 pm Can you legally do that without being licensed and insured, etc?
I told her I'll only do basic drywall/plaster repair, painting, and backsplash tile. Anything requiring wiring, plumbing, or moving appliances is a :nope: due to the above. Even though I can do that stuff, I DO NOT want to be held liable.

Other than the hood ducting, we didn't do anything else to our kitchen and apparently that's all the friend wants. We'll see. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Behold:

:gag:

Sorry bro not a fan. Glad you like it :doe:
I mean, practically it's :bs: and I think she's going to realize the error of her ways quickly.

But for what it is, I think it turned out decent. It's also been a lot of effort so at this point I'm just happy with whatever I think.

Got the fridge in...and the old fridge went to another friend. Their house has TINY doors, so we had to remove the doors on our (their new) fridge and then the same on their old. I moved a total of 4 fridges today.

:gag: :overit:

The GE slate appliances look awesome together. Really ties the kitchen together nicely.