Truk Talk: Invest in Trukcoin!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:59 pm Engines are built here. There was a couple of re-works going on, but the plant was otherwise empty. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not a good sign.
Engine was originally supposed to go in a :doge: but the Great Recession happened.

We were very close to going into Toyota until Japan decided otherwise (Toyota NA was fully onboard)

So it ended up in :flaccid: Nissan.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm
Not a good sign.
Engine was originally supposed to go in a :doge: but the Great Recession happened.

We were very close to going into Toyota until Japan decided otherwise (Toyota NA was fully onboard)

Cummins Taco? :megusta:
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:59 pm

:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I see nothing great in the modern diesels, whatever advantages they had were killed post 2008.
Filling up with $6 a gallon piss to make it clean
Lack of reliability
Lack of durability thanks to the exhaust
No true power or performance advantages unless you go truly balls deep
Added complexity and a lot of added weight
:disgust:
Apex

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:30 pm

I see nothing great in the modern diesels, whatever advantages they had were killed post 2008.
Filling up with $6 a gallon piss to make it clean
Lack of reliability
Lack of durability thanks to the exhaust
No true power or performance advantages unless you go truly balls deep
Added complexity and a lot of added weight
:disgust:
:sass:

:lol:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

He's right, doe.

I'm keeping my eyes on the Ranger.

2.3L turbro four with the 10-speed auto would be great.
Oh, I never said he was wrong. Just felt like throwing the :sass: in there. Modern diesel is overly complicated. The deleted "Mexico" versions are fantastic from what I recall doe.

I am intrigued by the Ranger too, I'll check it out when it launches.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:34 pm
Apex wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:33 pm

He's right, doe.

I'm keeping my eyes on the Ranger.

2.3L turbro four with the 10-speed auto would be great.
Dude I don’t get it ... your truck is better, unless you want an automatic at which point you should probably go Colorado.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I just don't see the value in the small displacement turbro engines in a :truk: for longevity. I'm sure the power and torque is fine, but I'd rather have an NA V6 or better 8, personally.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 pm I just don't see the value in the small displacement turbro engines in a :truk: for longevity. I'm sure the power and torque is fine, but I'd rather have an NA V6 or better 8, personally.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:12 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Dude I don’t get it ... your truck is better, unless you want an automatic at which point you should probably go Colorado.
Oh I'm not getting one. I won't buy a Ford.

But I'm curious to see how well that 2.3T does in that truck.
I'm sure it'll be quite adequate for 60k miles.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:50 pm I just don't see the value in the small displacement turbro engines in a :truk: for longevity. I'm sure the power and torque is fine, but I'd rather have an NA V6 or better 8, personally.
For longevity, not really sure they'll last either. I'm keeping an eye on the one in the twins though for a potential future purchase if I'm able to get to a point where I'm towing more often. For now though, a NA gas motor is really the way to go in these size trucks, especially when they're paired with an 8spd or 10spd trans.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm

For longevity, not really sure they'll last either. I'm keeping an eye on the one in the twins though for a potential future purchase if I'm able to get to a point where I'm towing more often. For now though, a NA gas motor is really the way to go in these size trucks, especially when they're paired with an 8spd or 10spd trans.
Ford seems to have figured out how to make turbos work on the F150s so why not the Ranger. Given that these trucks aren't used for towing as often, I think it's a worthwhile exercise.
Have they though? What's the oldest 2.7 at these days?
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 pm
Devilchrono wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:25 pm

Ford seems to have figured out how to make turbos work on the F150s so why not the Ranger. Given that these trucks aren't used for towing as often, I think it's a worthwhile exercise.
We'll see I guess. I haven't been paying super close attention lately since I'm gonna be keeping the Colorado for awhile still. As it gets closer to time to replace it is when I'll really dig into the market again and see just what's out there.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

The car show had one new style Chevy Silverbuhdoe, but it was all chromed out which to me looks :gag: in most applications so the only trucks i found interesting were the Tacoma in smurf bloo with a decent offroad package and gnarly tars and of course the ZR2. Some interesting roll bar on the ZR2, not sure if @detroit had this thing on the drafting table and what he thinks. I still love the metallic green even if it's a bit brown-ish IRLImageImageImage
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:14 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:37 pm
Have they though? What's the oldest 2.7 at these days?
3.5TT has been around in multiple vehicles since what, 2011?
1.6 tiny turbo has held up fine for 70k miles and towing a couple motorcycles around.

Oils, lube systems, and fuel systems are better. Cooling systems are nearly as good, but seem to be the weak point of tiny turbos when they’re pushed.

So I could see one of these having reliability concerns if it’s life is spent towing shit, but as a DD with an occasional load in the back or an occasional trailer, it’ll be fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 pm The car show had one new style Chevy Silverbuhdoe, but it was all chromed out which to me looks :gag: in most applications so the only trucks i found interesting were the Tacoma in smurf bloo with a decent offroad package and gnarly tars and of course the ZR2. Some interesting roll bar on the ZR2, not sure if @detroit had this thing on the drafting table and what he thinks. I still love the metallic green even if it's a bit brown-ish IRLImageImageImage
I inherited that sport bar when I took over bedazzling a few years ago. It's an overpriced light holder, but it does look cool. There's a ZR2 special edition running around that has ZR2 cutout on the sides instead of Colorado. That was my idea. It was free to implement and people go :triggered: over it. Surprised they didn't put that one on.
ChrisoftheNorth

And the green is more gray/brown than green. It's been a very popular color, but I wish it was more green, personally. But I prefer actual colors.

That said, the majority if ZR2s I wheel with in Michigan have this green, but a few of the guys said they would have bought Blurple like on my truck, they just didn't know that it existed. My truck still gets random compliments all the time.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:28 pm The car show had one new style Chevy Silverbuhdoe, but it was all chromed out which to me looks :gag: in most applications so the only trucks i found interesting were the Tacoma in smurf bloo with a decent offroad package and gnarly tars and of course the ZR2. Some interesting roll bar on the ZR2, not sure if @detroit had this thing on the drafting table and what he thinks. I still love the metallic green even if it's a bit brown-ish IRLImageImageImage
I inherited that sport bar when I took over bedazzling a few years ago. It's an overpriced light holder, but it does look cool. There's a ZR2 special edition running around that has ZR2 cutout on the sides instead of Colorado. That was my idea. It was free to implement and people go :triggered: over it. Surprised they didn't put that one on.
I don't get the point of those side covers.... care to educate me? To me, they look like just another way to get people to pay for another thing that says the model name of the car...

It's like seeing a Corvette with all the badging still on that then has an exhaust plate that says Corvette, and a plate frame that says Corvette, and a window sticker that says Corvette..... Yeah, I get it... I didn't need to be bombarded with 80 logos.

So these have any actual benefits?
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:31 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:18 am
I don't get the point of those side covers.... care to educate me? To me, they look like just another way to get people to pay for another thing that says the model name of the car...

It's like seeing a Corvette with all the badging still on that then has an exhaust plate that says Corvette, and a plate frame that says Corvette, and a window sticker that says Corvette..... Yeah, I get it... I didn't need to be bombarded with 80 logos.

So these have any actual benefits?
They all come with those panels. The design guys won't let me sell one that's just the bars...they think it looks terrible. I don't, but in the process of releasing a part, design needs to sign off on it or it won't be released for sale. I've even mocked trucks up without them, and I still got shot down.

That said, customers love the brand there... especially the ZR2 one. I guess as long as it sells. :iono: I think we'd sell more without the panels, but I lost that battle.

I'm glad to be out if bedazzling.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:49 am
They all come with those panels. The design guys won't let me sell one that's just the bars...they think it looks terrible. I don't, but in the process of releasing a part, design needs to sign off on it or it won't be released for sale. I've even mocked trucks up without them, and I still got shot down.

That said, customers love the brand there... especially the ZR2 one. I guess as long as it sells. :iono: I think we'd sell more without the panels, but I lost that battle.

I'm glad to be out if bedazzling.
:notsure:

Would look so much better with just the tubular structure.

I would probably buy one if I was getting a Colorado if it didn't have the side plates or the holes where the side plates mount. Marketing / Design team fails me.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:11 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 pm

I would probably buy one if I was getting a Colorado if it didn't have the side plates or the holes where the side plates mount. Marketing / Design team fails me.
Looks like it just unbolts, doe.
But like I said...... Holes...
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:03 pm
[user not found] wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:57 pm

:notsure:

Would look so much better with just the tubular structure.

Marketing was on your side. Design wasn't.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Took the truck up to Elk Mountain for some skiing this weekend
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

dtraill27 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:38 am Took the truck up to Elk Mountain for some skiing this weekend
Looks good. I really do like that black grille. So much better than stock.

How was Elk?
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 am
Looks good. I really do like that black grille. So much better than stock.

How was Elk?
Yeah, I still want to get the TRD Pro grill but this is a good place holder. May be coming soon now that there are knock off ones available. Elk was awesome, it's definitely my favorite in eastern PA. Surprisingly not too crowded for a holiday weekend. Plus I got to :stig: in the snow storm on the way home.