Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:08 am The green is :amazing: but the :ramz: on that TTS are at least 2" too big. :disgust:
Agreed. I can forgive that though because they're silver instead of :dedong:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Those wheels are absolutely way too big.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am Some :waxer: on TCL just sold his Stingray for this. I'm totally in love with it.

A not-for-sale manufacturer vehicle painted Porsche RSR green $4k option :fullretard:

I want it.
:wub:
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

That green is PERFECT on that car.

I'd probably get a vanity plate that said TURTLE
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am Some :waxer: on TCL just sold his Stingray for this. I'm totally in love with it.

A not-for-sale manufacturer vehicle painted Porsche RSR green $4k option :fullretard:

I want it.
Now this is cool, as opposed to fucking jerking it to a Hyundai. Come on people. I got shit for the civic but a venerial is cool?! :gtfo:
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:34 pm

I want it.
Now this is cool, as opposed to fucking jerking it to a Hyundai. Come on people. I got shit for the civic but a venerial is cool?! :gtfo:
300 hp vs 180 :bruh:

Might as well get a slushbox 320i lease for $299 and badge it up.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 am Without :manuel: to keep me company, I default to going flat out everywhere to make driving interesting... which would quickly lead to very expensive tickets/insurance.
Yeah that can happen. I like to just unplug behind an automatic and turn into the typical Volvo driver that doesn't give a fuck, which is kind of what happened in the M235i which is why I didn't really like that car. I haven't driven an automatic that's worth a damn on a back road yet. Supposedly the DSG and ZF 8AT are good for that though.
It is pretty crazy how different an m3 is from a 335i I wonder how different an m2 is... either way it really takes a bit of time to get used to these cars
max225

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:38 pm

Last I read it said 250 or 275 hp. And likely it’ll be priced near the civic type r which is obviously a direct competitor.

The regular v turbo is around 200 and costs more than a civic sport.

Still a hideous kimchi mobile
:disgust:
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 am

Yeah that can happen. I like to just unplug behind an automatic and turn into the typical Volvo driver that doesn't give a fuck, which is kind of what happened in the M235i which is why I didn't really like that car. I haven't driven an automatic that's worth a damn on a back road yet. Supposedly the DSG and ZF 8AT are good for that though.
It is pretty crazy how different an m3 is from a 335i I wonder how different an m2 is... either way it really takes a bit of time to get used to these cars
If the DCT is anything like the VW DCT then I actually probably wouldn't like it too much. I didn't like the way the VW DCT would provide a ton of engine braking down to like 800 RPM and then just uncouple the clutch, causing your decelration rate to drastically change unannounced.

I guess you get used to that though.

I also thought the ZF8 was rather jerky during stop and go, or trying to crawl.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:44 pm
If the DCT is anything like the VW DCT then I actually probably wouldn't like it too much. I didn't like the way the VW DCT would provide a ton of engine braking down to like 800 RPM and then just uncouple the clutch, causing your decelration rate to drastically change unannounced.

Breh :wtf: dct is exactly like the dsg what you described. Until I get more seat time, I won’t know otherwise

ZF however ... I have 30k miles behind that trans and it is not jerky at all. IMO it is a near perfect automatic.
troyguitar

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:47 pm

Last I read it said 250 or 275 hp. And likely it’ll be priced near the civic type r which is obviously a direct competitor.

Hideous? You're talking about the Civic, right?
troyguitar

Looks like there might be a :notbad: :scrooge: new tire option available soon:

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/generals ... -are-made/

http://generaltire.com/tires/performance/g-max-rs

ATTN :poorvette: OWNERS: 275/40/17 is one of the sizes being made.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

I'm using the i 30 N as a reference as it's basically the same car other than the door configuration.

250-ish in standard trim - 275-ish with performance pack
Priced a couple k pounds less than a GTI in the UK.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm Looks like there might be a :notbad: :scrooge: new tire option available soon:

Comes in 215/45/17 as well... Interesting.
max225

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I'm using the i 30 N as a reference as it's basically the same car other than the door configuration.

Have you driven a Megane Rs? That was one crazy hatch that’s one that would be tons of fun around here if we gave a shit about French cars or hatchbacks
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:55 am I don’t think I’d trade the M2 for an M4.

I’d tune the 235 though. The N55 seems totally able to handle it. Same with the 8AT.
Yep current debate ongoing here in the humble haus
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 pm

Breh :wtf: dct is exactly like the dsg what you described. Until I get more seat time, I won’t know otherwise

ZF however ... I have 30k miles behind that trans and it is not jerky at all. IMO it is a near perfect automatic.
+1 on ZF. Johnny did not get nearly enough seat time. Its a superb gearbox. Id like to have an M car with it....and thats coming.....
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 pm
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:07 pm

Have you driven a Megane Rs? That was one crazy hatch that’s one that would be tons of fun around here if we gave a shit about French cars or hatchbacks
No, but :woodplow:

Maybe they'll through a Nissan front facia on it and bring it over here. Wish in one hand and :poop: in the other...
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:54 pm

+1 on ZF. Johnny did not get nearly enough seat time. Its a superb gearbox. Id like to have an M car with it....and thats coming.....
How are you liking the dct in the m2? That’s my main concern with the m3. I wasn’t super happy with that trans in the test drive
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I want it.
I actually don't think this car is cool at all. It's questionable whether this green is pulled off on an RSR, it is most certainly not pulled off on this. The DUB chrome RAMZ are hideous. It's a Miami Vice version of an Audi? It's really just a garish GoRf Karmann Ghia. :gag: :butwhy: :dafuq:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm Looks like there might be a :notbad: :scrooge: new tire option available soon:

I need 295/35/18, doe. Which of course, isn't an option.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:19 pm
Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:05 pm

How are you liking the dct in the m2? That’s my main concern with the m3. I wasn’t super happy with that trans in the test drive
Tons o' fun. No issues. I like the distinct mechanical, almost loud, direct nature of it. A total contrast to the ZF8 in the M235i!! Get it, drive it, enjoy it.

/////////////MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am I'd pay that, its a beautiful color and I strongly believe that I'd recoup most of it upon sale.

:wub:
He said it was $20k off original price, so I'm guessing he paid around 40 for it. Which is :notbad: but it's a Golf R underneath the beetle exterior so even used it's more money than one of those brand new. IDK though, that plus a tune and downpipe and all it would be a rocket. Supposedly stage 2 gets you into the 11's.

Akro prices their DP for this car at $3k through their local distributor (asked at the car show today). Once installed and tuned the warranty is gonzo. So that's a big commitment that I just can't justify. It would take a special person.

20k off sounds a little stretched considering that the car is a special order. Doesn't make sense to me but i dont know.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

troyguitar wrote:Looks like there might be a :notbad: :scrooge: new tire option available soon:

:like: thanks!
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:12 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
He said it was $20k off original price, so I'm guessing he paid around 40 for it. Which is :notbad: but it's a Golf R underneath the beetle exterior so even used it's more money than one of those brand new. IDK though, that plus a tune and downpipe and all it would be a rocket. Supposedly stage 2 gets you into the 11's.

Akro prices their DP for this car at $3k through their local distributor (asked at the car show today). Once installed and tuned the warranty is gonzo. So that's a big commitment that I just can't justify. It would take a special person.

20k off sounds a little stretched considering that the car is a special order. Doesn't make sense to me but i dont know.
Used doe. So $65k MSRP car, some farts, nobody knows it exists, and it's a non-desirable color to the general public. I could see getting this for $40-45k used.