Car Talk 2: Un-American Motor Company.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:11 pm :iono:

That's what happens when you can't afford to buy the car new - or even a well maintained used version.
Yea I get that though. I just thought I was going crazy after you said it took 4 hours ... tried it again and Walked away thinking :notbad:

I kind of want to fix up the crown Vic ... but it seems silly to throw money at it. It’s quite sad really, it is slowly turning into despair mode since my dad has no real use for it and I don’t really maintain it as well as I used to because why?! It is barely worth $100 if that :(
:word:

It feels dumb to let stuff slowly turn to shit, but it's cheaper to buy new than make it last forever.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Pro tip. Toothpaste works to polish head light lenses really fucking well.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:41 pm

Asking the real questions we all want to know. Then I expect a full HANDY price comparison vs Thailand and Vegas.

Dave took the car in for service, BMW reflashed it to most current file. Which apparently changed some things to have a sensor identify when the crank case is over pressuring. So after a few duty cycles the sensor said the case is over pressuring. Take it back and a filter was clogged causing the over pressure.

So that ECU update saved BMW many thousands of dollars in warranty repair work by identifying a cheap part needed to be replaced. Which apparently required removal of the valve cover because #germanengineering.
I don't think cracking open a top part of the engine is "routine" service. :disgust: I'm curious to find out the Handy reacharound cost...

After all premier Aryan service comes at Aryan angel pricing. A quart of mobil 1 is like $18 over there.
Snot. The routine service included the secret squirrel ECU update that made it start looking for over pressure. Found it later that day and Kraut had to take his car back to the Aryan Gods to get touched by the anointed.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:27 pm
max225 wrote:
Yea I get that though. I just thought I was going crazy after you said it took 4 hours ... tried it again and Walked away thinking :notbad:

I kind of want to fix up the crown Vic ... but it seems silly to throw money at it. It’s quite sad really, it is slowly turning into despair mode since my dad has no real use for it and I don’t really maintain it as well as I used to because why?! It is barely worth $100 if that :(

It feels dumb to let stuff slowly turn to shit, but it's cheaper to buy new than make it last forever.
Average mechanic charges $200 an hr and 2-3 times the time it actually takes to do it.
They don’t make money On the parts much but yea...

It would cost $5k to bring this car back into shape or i can get a 70k mile crown Vic for 4K
Makes no sense
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:35 pm Pro tip. Toothpaste works to polish head light lenses really fucking well.
:themoreyouknow:
Davestr

The repair required on my M235i was simple:

As a result of my request for a comprehensive inspection and routine service my DME(ECU) software required an update

Inspection and service yielded no issues for a car daily driven at almost 88000km's

New software uploaded no issues

I drive car off and on for an hour

Check engine light illuminates

Car returned next day to address this under warranty

Analysis points to evap sys failure found co-located/integrated into the valve cover

Valve cover replaced and also the front crank main seal per the book

Even if the car was out of warranty and was 5yrs old or less(mine is 4) the service and repair would have been covered by BMW

All is well and I love the car and would have paid anyway. Its a car. You drive and maintain, especially one you like

No I am not overly interested in CUV or SUV(except a Range Rover Sport) LOL

Next car items up: Tune M235i with AC Schnitzer Stage 1 after warranty is out and then add BMW M-performance exhaust for a bit more sound.
Power = 380hp / Torque = 396

Consider dealer offer up North on a 2017 M4 loaded demo. 1200km's for 58000. Would trade potentially the M2 and buy this. More to follow. M4 are not selling well at all and I still like the car overall. I love the M2. We debated this at home last night.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Davestr wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 am The repair required on my M235i was simple:

As a result of my request for a comprehensive inspection and routine service my DME(ECU) software required an update

Inspection and service yielded no issues for a car daily driven at almost 88000km's

New software uploaded no issues

I drive car off and on for an hour

Check engine light illuminates

Car returned next day to address this under warranty

Analysis points to evap sys failure found co-located/integrated into the valve cover

Valve cover replaced and also the front crank main seal per the book

Even if the car was out of warranty and was 5yrs old or less(mine is 4) the service and repair would have been covered by BMW

All is well and I love the car and would have paid anyway. Its a car. You drive and maintain, especially one you like

No I am not overly interested in CUV or SUV(except a Range Rover Sport) LOL

Next car items up: Tune M235i with AC Schnitzer Stage 1 after warranty is out and then add BMW M-performance exhaust for a bit more sound.
Power = 380hp / Torque = 396

Consider dealer offer up North on a 2017 M4 loaded demo. 1200km's for 58000. Would trade potentially the M2 and buy this. More to follow. M4 are not selling well at all and I still like the car overall. I love the M2. We debated this at home last night.
Ey top gun ?! Price please
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 pm
4zilch wrote:
i30 N seems mostly well reviewed in Europe. Pricing will be key.
:dat:

Unfortunately for them, VW discounts set the pricing bar really low. You pretty much need to be able to get a Velobster N for $20k.
Give it year and they’ll be sitting on lots with steep discounts and free loans.

IF they’re decent cars, similar to say a GTI in performance, I’d definitely consider one if for no other reason than to have something a little unique. And dat blue w/ red accent :jimp:

GTI gets points with me with the DSG :doe: . It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have something without a :manuel: so the wife can drive.

I could just continue to drive the FiST until destruction in hopes that Ford NA brings the 3 cylinder over from Europe.

Still more than likely at least a year away from making car decisions, but it’s fun to start researching, planning, and test driving.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:38 am
Ey top gun ?! Price please
[/quote]

Awaiting the Schnitzer rep's info on tuning price. Exhaust would be about 1000euro for the BMW M--Performance model
Davestr

Lateset Ive seen on the new Supra - See post 368 for some Japanese data it appears

http://www.the370z.com/other-vehicles/1 ... ra-25.html
Johnny_P

I don’t think I’d trade the M2 for an M4.

I’d tune the 235 though. The N55 seems totally able to handle it. Same with the 8AT.
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 pm :dat:

Unfortunately for them, VW discounts set the pricing bar really low. You pretty much need to be able to get a Velobster N for $20k.
Give it year and they’ll be sitting on lots with steep discounts and free loans.

IF they’re decent cars, similar to say a GTI in performance, I’d definitely consider one if for no other reason than to have something a little unique. And dat blue w/ red accent :jimp:

GTI gets points with me with the DSG :doe: . It wouldn’t be a bad thing to have something without a :manuel: so the wife can drive.

I could just continue to drive the FiST until destruction in hopes that Ford NA brings the 3 cylinder over from Europe.

Still more than likely at least a year away from making car decisions, but it’s fun to start researching, planning, and test driving.
Is the Lobster N Sport getting a DCT option too? I know they have one on the shelf at least.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am
4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:11 am

Is the Lobster N Sport getting a DCT option too? I know they have one on the shelf at least.
Everything I’ve read is manual only.

The Veloster dsg (actually a dual clutch iirc) was only available in the not turbro models and is what the wife's car had - it was pretty meh. The auto turbro was a slush box I think.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Johnny_P

4zilch wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:08 am
Johnny_P wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:56 am
Everything I’ve read is manual only.

The Veloster dsg (actually a dual clutch iirc) was only available in the not turbro models and is what the wife's car had - it was pretty meh. The auto turbro was a slush box I think.
Oh lame. The Tucson gets the 1.6T and DCT. I think that's right around 180 HP. Supposedly rather not bad combo.

I actually really like where Hyundai/Kia are going. They're one of the more interesting auto manufacturers right now. Them and FCA (specifically :jeep: and :doge: ). The Stinger is pretty rad. The new Genesis G70 looks rad. The Lobster N is cool. The Tucson is a nice CUV. I dunno they seem like they have their shit together.
Johnny_P

Some :waxer: on TCL just sold his Stingray for this. I'm totally in love with it.

A not-for-sale manufacturer vehicle painted Porsche RSR green $4k option :fullretard:

I want it.
troyguitar

4zilch wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 pm :dat:

I keep thinking about getting an automatic car for that reason, but can't bring myself to do it. Partly because of principle, and partly because I drive WAY faster in an automatic to try to make it fun.
Johnny_P

I am ready for an automatic. Back in the day when they were very much slower than MT cars I hated them with a passion. They're no longer slower and in many cases they're the faster option. So the only hold out is driver involvement which IDK if it actually matters honestly.

The STI will likely be my last MT daily driver. And I'm glad it's this car, a truly bonkers DD, instead of some lame ass Civic or something.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am
4zilch wrote: Give it year and they’ll be sitting on lots with steep discounts and free loans.

I keep thinking about getting an automatic car for that reason, but can't bring myself to do it. Partly because of principle, and partly because I drive WAY faster in an automatic to try to make it fun.

One of my concerns is being injured at a trackday (or Tennessee) and needing someone to drive my car or me to the hospital. VW DSG by most accounts seems to be well liked in :manuel: mode. I could probably live with it if that's the case. I haven't owned an auto since 2002.
Last edited by 4zilch on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
troyguitar

Without :manuel: to keep me company, I default to going flat out everywhere to make driving interesting... which would quickly lead to very expensive tickets/insurance.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 am Without :manuel: to keep me company, I default to going flat out everywhere to make driving interesting... which would quickly lead to very expensive tickets/insurance.
:stig:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:57 am Without :manuel: to keep me company, I default to going flat out everywhere to make driving interesting... which would quickly lead to very expensive tickets/insurance.
Yeah that can happen. I like to just unplug behind an automatic and turn into the typical Volvo driver that doesn't give a fuck, which is kind of what happened in the M235i which is why I didn't really like that car. I haven't driven an automatic that's worth a damn on a back road yet. Supposedly the DSG and ZF 8AT are good for that though.
troyguitar

DSG is like a racing transmission, which is fun if you're racing.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Johnny_P wrote:Some :waxer: on TCL just sold his Stingray for this. I'm totally in love with it.

A not-for-sale manufacturer vehicle painted Porsche RSR green $4k option :fullretard:

I want it.
I'd pay that, its a beautiful color and I strongly believe that I'd recoup most of it upon sale.

:wub:
troyguitar

The green is :amazing: but the :ramz: on that TTS are at least 2" too big. :disgust:
Johnny_P

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:06 am
Johnny_P wrote:Some :waxer: on TCL just sold his Stingray for this. I'm totally in love with it.

I want it.
I'd pay that, its a beautiful color and I strongly believe that I'd recoup most of it upon sale.

:wub:
He said it was $20k off original price, so I'm guessing he paid around 40 for it. Which is :notbad: but it's a Golf R underneath the beetle exterior so even used it's more money than one of those brand new. IDK though, that plus a tune and downpipe and all it would be a rocket. Supposedly stage 2 gets you into the 11's.