:plac: Finds: Show us your automotive goldmines

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:51 pm I would rock the fuck out of a Macan if I didn't live IN THE DESERT. If you live in anyplace with weather or potholes, or a wife who pulls all the way forward in every parking stall (that's a lot of you bros), the combination of POWER and ground clearance, and not killing yourself are hard to beat. The interior is just like a Gayman. And I think they look pretty sharp, unlike the Cayenne, which I've never gotten behind.
Cayenne and Macan look pretty much the same to everyone outside of this circle jerk forum.
Which one is which bro?!

The redesign of the Cayenne was a significant improvement.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

:woodplow: a van. No desire for :truk:
If they were to cost the same to buy and to own (i.e. insurance+depreciation), then I'd prefer a medium sized van - think 90s full size or so. Bigger than a transit connect with power and real towing ability, but smaller than a current full-size... but the only thing even close to that is a fucking $50k Mercedes thing that'll likely be worth $10k in 10 years, while a $20k ranger will be worth $15k and cost zero to repair/maintain during that time.
:word:

The long wheel base connect would fit most of my needs. Bonus points if it has the high roof.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm Dave is the only person here who doesn't kind of want a :truk:

Even I want a tow vehicle of some kind - and a :truk: is the most cost effective one because of resale value. $20k new base Ranger when it comes out will be the logical best choice - or a fully depreciated $5k RWD full-size van.
Because dave is a god damn Kraut
:dat:
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:21 pm Dave is the only person here who doesn't kind of want a :truk:

Even I want a tow vehicle of some kind - and a :truk: is the most cost effective one because of resale value. $20k new base Ranger when it comes out will be the logical best choice - or a fully depreciated $5k RWD full-size van.
Top Gun is one of them? :doomed:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:hai:
I don't want/desire/need one, either.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

I don't. I hardly ever visit the Car Talk section anymore because it's basically all :truk: talk and :jeep: talk. The RDX is all the truk we need, and I'd rather have a wagon but the wife gets :triggered: any time I suggest such nonsense.

That said, I can totally see why something like a ZR2 or a TRD Pro could be fun, I just have no interest in driving one or reading about them.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:29 pm

If they were to cost the same to buy and to own (i.e. insurance+depreciation), then I'd prefer a medium sized van - think 90s full size or so. Bigger than a transit connect with power and real towing ability, but smaller than a current full-size... but the only thing even close to that is a fucking $50k Mercedes thing that'll likely be worth $10k in 10 years, while a $20k ranger will be worth $15k and cost zero to repair/maintain during that time.

The long wheel base connect would fit most of my needs. Bonus points if it has the high roof.
Size-wise even the SWB connect would be OK I think, but the :jalepenis: motor I assume would suck to tow 1500-2000 lbs.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

It's more accurate to say he's been assimilated. Dave is MURICAN.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:03 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:37 pm

It's more accurate to say he's been assimilated. Dave is MURICAN.
He calls a mobile phone a HANDY. :gtfo:

Make him count to 3 motherfucker!
max225

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:51 pm
4zilch wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Size-wise even the SWB connect would be OK I think, but the :jalepenis: motor I assume would suck to tow 1500-2000 lbs.
Max tow is 2k, and I doubt it’s getting anywhere fast. I’d use it to haul bikes, so the towing capacity isn’t super relevant to me. If I were towing a car, then definitely a full size is in order.

I could get by with an SWB, but it’s a tight squeeze with a bike, unless I deleted the passenger seat.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

Too much Russky Standart ??????????? :)
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:33 am
Johnny_P wrote:4Runner
Where's Wasteful: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threa ... -County-PA
Hm. Would be a good puppy hauler. 182k doe. Potential frame rot. No V8. Bah.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

This looks fantastic. Wonder why the back is so much taller than the front?

Frame rotting in half?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 pm
This looks fantastic. Wonder why the back is so much taller than the front?

Frame rotting in half?
Probably spec'd springs that lifted it a bit further than intended. :iono:
My XJ had that stance when I ordered spring packs with lift shackles that screwed everything up.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Peculiar ass raise and the entire carpet looks like it was at the bottom of a lake. Odd
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:54 am

Hm. Would be a good puppy hauler. 182k doe. Potential frame rot. No V8. Bah.
Worth a look, doe. Good parts, not perfect, but looks good - would fit on the mean streets of the wasteful city.
Oh yeah it would be fine for city lyfe. Not so huge that it's unparkable. 182k doe. Its at that age where it'll nickel and dime you to death. I'd need a driveway at least to maintain this. Original water pump, timing chain, majority of suspension bushings, motor mounts, who knows when diff fluids were changed or trans fluids, plus "it's just surface rust" on the frame rails :doomed: That front crossmember is probably totally shot.
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:16 pm Worth a look, doe. Good parts, not perfect, but looks good - would fit on the mean streets of the wasteful city.
Oh yeah it would be fine for city lyfe. Not so huge that it's unparkable. 182k doe. Its at that age where it'll nickel and dime you to death. I'd need a driveway at least to maintain this. Original water pump, timing chain, majority of suspension bushings, motor mounts, who knows when diff fluids were changed or trans fluids, plus "it's just surface rust" on the frame rails :doomed: That front crossmember is probably totally shot.
GX470 :bruh:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
GX470 :bruh:
RX350 with predator grill
troyguitar

Johnny_P wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:01 pm GX470 :bruh:
No V8, no BOF, no real 4x4. :jalepenis:

You really need a Canyonero.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm
Johnny_P wrote:
No V8, no BOF, no real 4x4. :jalepenis:

No V8 in that either :sad:

I’d be ok with a mushmobile. Current gen RX is reviewed very highly by most. 4Runner would be cool. Who knows or cares. Not there yet the STI will stick around for a bit longer.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:10 pm No V8, no BOF, no real 4x4. :jalepenis:

I’d be ok with a mushmobile. Current gen RX is reviewed very highly by most. 4Runner would be cool. Who knows or cares. Not there yet the STI will stick around for a bit longer.
Can you explain the want for a rx? I don’t get it....
max225

Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/ ... 65103.html

Seems like a good city car
Something like this would be great for Lisa when her Tiguan lease runs out. Not much goes wrong on these cars.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:15 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:12 pm

Can you explain the want for a rx? I don’t get it....
I like the way they look
Really really nice interiors on the new ones
Supposedly extremely quiet at speed
Simple tried and true old NA engine and a well sorted 8AT and AWD, nothing to break on this, no torque steer, plenty of traction, 0-60 in low 7's isn't bad
Known for good ride quality and durability
CUV suspension travel will gobble up potholes but still stay somewhat composed in turns where a BOF SUV will just roll and flop
Will handle all the "off roading" I'll ever do which would be gravel roads at most which the STI can do
Supposedly really good sound systems
Multi mode dampers available if you want that

They're a little large though. And probably won't age well. And comparatively poor gas mileage but it is what it is at least it runs on regular so probably less fuel cost than my car, lol.

I dunno it just seems like a really well sorted reliable comfy package. I also like the Benzo GLC but the combo of a 2.0T, 9AT, and GERMAN has me :yikes: for long term ownership prospects.