Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am I made a last-ditch effort to squash the open shelving concept and it backfired on me. I told her that I thought the barnwood would be too heavy (10"x2.5"x3' solid oak) for shelves and that we should probably look for cabinets to hang instead. This was BEFORE we bought the barnwood. She insisted it would be fine, and so we bought the wood.

Last night she said that she thought I was right and that the shelves would be too heavy. :fuckyeah:

She went on to show me one of those stupid pinshit blogs where this girl made shelves out of IKEA shelf brackets and decking material. :rolleyes: :rage:

This is the new direction. To make matters worse, we spent $100 on barnwood we have no use for now. At least the new execution will be cheap, but still. FUUUUUU

The best part is this blog is full of women commenting about how badly they want open shelves but their husbands are against it. There's a resonably long thread in the comments full of wives complaining about their "stupid husbands".

They're banning against us gents. Resistance is futile.
I don't understand this trend at all.

Hell I think even glass doored cabinets are often a bad idea.
It's a fad that's going to die fast. And then we'll be stuck fixing it.

The good thing is, the entire kitchen isn't going to open shelving, just the stuff around the range. Which inexplicably will hold the dishes and bowls and some cookbooks and shit, but the spices and whatnot are in the drawers under the counters. It shouldn't look like a cluttered disaster...hopefully.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
dtraill27
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 Mazda 6

Put an exhaust fan in the guest powder room over the weekend, been patching up the overcut with one of those patching kits and joint compound. Was lazy last night and didn't put my safety glasses on. Glob of joint compound right in the eye. 1/7 would not recommend
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

dtraill27 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am Put an exhaust fan in the guest powder room over the weekend, been patching up the overcut with one of those patching kits and joint compound. Was lazy last night and didn't put my safety glasses on. Glob of joint compound right in the eye. 1/7 would not recommend
Did your wife say "Now you know how it feels, do you like it?"
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am
dtraill27 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am Put an exhaust fan in the guest powder room over the weekend, been patching up the overcut with one of those patching kits and joint compound. Was lazy last night and didn't put my safety glasses on. Glob of joint compound right in the eye. 1/7 would not recommend
:iswydt:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am I made a last-ditch effort to squash the open shelving concept and it backfired on me. I told her that I thought the barnwood would be too heavy (10"x2.5"x3' solid oak) for shelves and that we should probably look for cabinets to hang instead. This was BEFORE we bought the barnwood. She insisted it would be fine, and so we bought the wood.

Last night she said that she thought I was right and that the shelves would be too heavy. :fuckyeah:

She went on to show me one of those stupid pinshit blogs where this girl made shelves out of IKEA shelf brackets and decking material. :rolleyes: :rage:

This is the new direction. To make matters worse, we spent $100 on barnwood we have no use for now. At least the new execution will be cheap, but still. FUUUUUU

The best part is this blog is full of women commenting about how badly they want open shelves but their husbands are against it. There's a resonably long thread in the comments full of wives complaining about their "stupid husbands".

:wtf:
:fshitup:
Decking material? Like that plastic Trex shit?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:04 am

I don't understand this trend at all.

Hell I think even glass doored cabinets are often a bad idea.
:dat:
In our :waxer: kitchen remodel, we have just 1 cabinet with glass doors, and that is to display beer glasses, my grandfather's old wine glasses, whiskey glasses, shot glasses, etc.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:46 am
It's a fad that's going to die fast. And then we'll be stuck fixing it.

The good thing is, the entire kitchen isn't going to open shelving, just the stuff around the range. Which inexplicably will hold the dishes and bowls and some cookbooks and shit, but the spices and whatnot are in the drawers under the counters. It shouldn't look like a cluttered disaster...hopefully.
We have one open one for cookbooks that looks 5/7 but it's just basically a book shelf.
But right over/near the stove :doe: ?
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:26 am
:hue:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm
wap wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:31 pm

But right over/near the stove :doe: ?
Disgust. No.
If you never use the stove there won't be a problem.

Maybe that's her master plan, never have to cook again.
ChrisoftheNorth

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:43 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Disgust. No.
If you never use the stove there won't be a problem.

Maybe that's her master plan, never have to cook again.
My wife absolutely LOVES cooking. I've cautioned her of all this ad nauseam. She's :aintcare:
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Jaxper wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:05 am Also, we ran a cycle of Affresh the other day with only a slight improvement. The bottom rack was cleaning better, but the top still wasn't getting cleaned. Decided to go full boar and run a cycle with 3/4 C of CLR in a measuring cup on the bottom rack last night. We'll test it out soon and see if it changes much.
In for updates on this... I cannot get the dishwasher in my place to clean well. The top rack always comes out with an oily film. I'm usually rinsing off dishes that just came out of the dishwasher, :wtf:. Using dishwasher tablets, jet dry, hot wash, top rack wash turned on... ugh. I checked that the float is working properly and have run a couple cycles with distilled white vinegar. The Affresh stuff or CLR is next.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:15 am
stripethree wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:57 pm
In for updates on this... I cannot get the dishwasher in my place to clean well. The top rack always comes out with an oily film. I'm usually rinsing off dishes that just came out of the dishwasher, :wtf:. Using dishwasher tablets, jet dry, hot wash, top rack wash turned on... ugh. I checked that the float is working properly and have run a couple cycles with distilled white vinegar. The Affresh stuff or CLR is next.
In the bottom there should be a trap that can be disassembled and cleaned pretty easily. Prepare to be disgusted.
:dat: :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

New garage doors. Aluminum faced, fully insulated, I think the windows look good. Nice contrast with the house, which also needs a new color. Predecessors were basic spec home beige vinyl.

Before you tell me that I ordered Craftsman style windows and put them on a Southwestern style house, Brad, understand that "California Shitbox" is not an architectural style and I can do what I want.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:47 pm Image

New garage doors. Aluminum faced, fully insulated, I think the windows look good. Nice contrast with the house, which also needs a new color. Predecessors were basic spec home beige vinyl.

Before you tell me that I ordered Craftsman style windows and put them on a Southwestern style house, Brad, understand that "California Shitbox" is not an architectural style and I can do what I want.
I like this. Looks quite nice.

I'm amazed how :waxer: garage doors are.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks brah! Yeah, they were expensive. But given that the "Cali Shitbox" style calls for garage doors occupying 60% of the front of the house, there wasn't one single thing that could have given it greater curb appeal.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm

Thanks brah! Yeah, they were expensive. But given that the "Cali Shitbox" style calls for garage doors occupying 60% of the front of the house, there wasn't one single thing that could have given it greater curb appeal.
Absolutely. Looks great.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Desertbreh wrote:
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm I like this. Looks quite nice.

The new doors look solid! I don't see much of this style of house here so to me it looks awesome.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:43 pm
Desertbreh wrote:
The new doors look solid! I don't see much of this style of house here so to me it looks awesome.
Thanks man. The house is really everything we need, nothing we don't. It's a modest HOA community, but our neighbors are retirees who take pride in their homes and keep them tight and improve them. We are also installing a waxer side gate, pics to follow this week.
wap

That looks great. Love the tile roof.

And :lolol: at the :fax: comment. Very truth. So wow.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:47 pm

May I ask how much?
$3450. $2875 w/o windows.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm

May I ask how much?
Sounds about right. I paid $2200 for the 2 car door I bought this last summer. Fully insulated with flat steel panels inside with windows.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:55 pm

May I ask how much?
:notbad: tbh
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

:sass: :sass: :wasteful: :wasteful: :wasteful:

But it looks good man
brain go brrrrrr
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

New side gate to right of garage:

Old Poverty Gate:

New Waxer Gate"

When the smoke cleared this nasty bitch was $2K, installed with garage doors. The old one sucked, that was what came with the house 25 years ago. The "salmon" strip on the wall sucks, some neighbors are slowly just painting theirs "cream" or whatever the wall color is. Will paint the front door dark brown soon and the side garage door I just installed and painted "chocolate".....you can see it back there, will now need newer dark brown shade. That's the next post on here. It adds a lot of curb appeal. They are becoming very liberal with what color you can paint your house, and we will go with a darker brown tone soon. Upward and onward.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

$2000 for that seems like a ripoff vs $3500 for 2x powered garage doors with windows.

I love how you can just throw $5500 at the :haus: like it's pocket change :doe:

It emphasizes the fact that you're on a higher plane of existence than us creatures of flesh and blood. Hallowed are the :waxer: