Do you even Crock-Pot bro? DFD Cooking Thread

Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:54 am

I could see that for sure. I just don't do that kind of meat indoors, I use the smoker and want the smoke ring and infused flavor. If you cook meats inside that need a lot of connective tissue breakdown, like Brisket and pork shoulder, this would work great to speed it up.

My sister did ribs in hers and when I commented about the lack of smoke flavor she actually recommended I try........ liquid....fucking....smoke. :yikes:

Needless to say, I've disowned her.

:hue:
Ain't nobody going to sell any BBQ made in their insta pot.
I bet we'd be surprised to find out how many mom and pop joints are selling oven roasted or instapot pork as BBQ
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: 1986 Hyundai Excel, 351C swap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:19 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:45 pm

Ain't nobody going to sell any BBQ made in their insta pot.
I bet we'd be surprised to find out how many mom and pop joints are selling oven roasted or instapot pork as BBQ
There was a place here that boiled their ribs then finished them on a grill.... They lasted about a year here.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 pm

There was a place here that boiled their ribs then finished them on a grill.... They lasted about a year here.
Just frequent local establishments owned and operated by African Americans. There will be no boiling, steaming, or insta-potting at any of those places
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:neek: style!
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm

Just frequent local establishments owned and operated by African Americans. There will be no boiling, steaming, or insta-potting at any of those places
There's a great AA owned place around the corner from me. Good prices too. Think I got half a chicken, beef ribs, two rolls, and two sides for ~$10.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Surprisingly, this place was owned by a black family. The husband was really cool and we talked a few times and I called him on the ribs and he admitted it.

I can almost forgive him based on his response, they were really hit or miss on how busy they were at first and he didn't want to be out of ribs, and also didn't want to have to take 20 racks home that night that might be left over.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Surprisingly, this place was owned by a black family. The husband was really cool and we talked a few times and I called him on the ribs and he admitted it.

I can almost forgive him based on his response, they were really hit or miss on how busy they were at first and he didn't want to be out of ribs, and also didn't want to have to take 20 racks home that night that might be left over.
Wrong again it appears.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm Just frequent local establishments owned and operated by African Americans. There will be no boiling, steaming, or insta-potting at any of those places

If he did then right then maybe they wouldn’t have been hit or miss with clientele.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

CorvetteWaxer wrote:
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:23 pm Just frequent local establishments owned and operated by African Americans. There will be no boiling, steaming, or insta-potting at any of those places

If he did then right then maybe they wouldn’t have been hit or miss with clientele.

:therapist:
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Calvinball wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:30 pm
CorvetteWaxer wrote:

Dunno... It's weird here.

We've had a bunch of good places go out of business because there are really too many good options for a relatively smaller city of ~60K people.

Some times the restaurants are packed and others they are almost empty. Places just starting out have a hard time for sure.

His place could have been better for sure, but 6 months later a Dickey's BBQ opened there and in my opinion they really suck, but they seem to be okay business wise.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

I'm making ribs in the slow cooker tonight, will eat tomorrow. Prep time is about 1 minute, I don't even get my hands dirty. They taste good and fall off the bone. :iono:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:07 pm I'm making ribs in the slow cooker tonight, will eat tomorrow. Prep time is about 1 minute, I don't even get my hands dirty. They taste good and fall off the bone. :iono:
Deets on 1 minute prep.
troyguitar

Buy ribs that are in the vacuum-packed plastic wrap. Cut in half through both the plastic and the meat, slide each half out of the plastic directly into slow cooker, pour a bottle of barbecue sauce on top, press start. Come back 12-18 hours later, eat.

I'm trying a plastic liner for the crock pot this time which supposedly eliminates cleanup as well. Efficient cooking is the name of the game for Chef Troyardee.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 pm Buy ribs that are in the vacuum-packed plastic wrap. Cut in half through both the plastic and the meat, slide each half out of the plastic directly into slow cooker, pour a bottle of barbecue sauce on top, press start. Come back 12-18 hours later, eat.

I'm trying a plastic liner for the crock pot this time which supposedly eliminates cleanup as well. Efficient cooking is the name of the game for Chef Troyardee.
:word: Thanks. Seems stupid simple. What BBQ :sawce: do you like? We're partial to Sweet Baby Rays.

And LOL at Chef Troyardee.
troyguitar

I pick up a different sauce each time, haven't really loved or hated anything in particular yet. This will only be my 3rd time cooking them this way, the first time I figured I would try it just for the hell of it - worst case I ruin $10 of ribs. Everyone on the internet seems to think that you need to do more work than this, but I don't think that's true. They come out just fine.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:54 pm Buy ribs that are in the vacuum-packed plastic wrap. Cut in half through both the plastic and the meat, slide each half out of the plastic directly into slow cooker, pour a bottle of barbecue sauce on top, press start. Come back 12-18 hours later, eat.

:word: Thanks. Seems stupid simple. What BBQ :sawce: do you like? We're partial to Sweet Baby Rays.

SBR sauce is 5/7 and we always have some in the pantry
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Rookie move bro.

If you ain't removing the membrane off your ribs, you dun goofed.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:46 pm

I'm always puzzled how bbq places make money because of that. I'm sure there are trade standards that lay it out but still.

I guess that's why a pound of brisket is 20 bucks at the restaurant whikenits 2.99 at the store.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

SBR is my go-to :sawce:

I do pulled pork that way in my crock-pot too. Comes out quite tasty for minimal effort.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm I pick up a different sauce each time, haven't really loved or hated anything in particular yet. This will only be my 3rd time cooking them this way, the first time I figured I would try it just for the hell of it - worst case I ruin $10 of ribs. Everyone on the internet seems to think that you need to do more work than this, but I don't think that's true. They come out just fine.
You could eat them raw if you don't care about the taste. Super simple if that's your goal.

Your sliding scale of what is tolerable is just closer to the "shitty" side than the "tasty" side.

Nothing wrong with that but it's hardly a superior position
troyguitar

KYGTIGuy wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:54 pm I pick up a different sauce each time, haven't really loved or hated anything in particular yet. This will only be my 3rd time cooking them this way, the first time I figured I would try it just for the hell of it - worst case I ruin $10 of ribs. Everyone on the internet seems to think that you need to do more work than this, but I don't think that's true. They come out just fine.
You could eat them raw if you don't care about the taste. Super simple if that's your goal.

Your sliding scale of what is tolerable is just closer to the "shitty" side than the "tasty" side.

Come eat these and bring your own for comparison or shut the fuck up.
CorvetteWaxer
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am
KYGTIGuy wrote:

Tuesday is looking good so far.

:fshitup:
wap

Apex wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 am

SBR is my go-to :sawce:

I do pulled pork that way in my crock-pot too. Comes out quite tasty for minimal effort.
We do chicken :tits: that way, too. Cut them into big chunks and throw into the crock pot. Pour :sawce: over them and cook for 8 hours. Shred the :tits: with a couple of forks and spoon onto a bun. This can also work with thighs if you find them on sale.
Variation:
Instead of BBQ :sawce: we'll sometimes pour a jar of salsa and add some corn and beans to the mix. Cook, shred, then scoop into a tortilla. Add shredded cheese, sour cream, and/or guac and you have 5/7 chicken casadillas.
wap

CorvetteWaxer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 am
troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am Come eat these and bring your own for comparison or shut the fuck up.
Tuesday is looking good so far.

:fshitup:
:lolol:
I'd try :mahtroy's rib method. :iono:
I've loved every kind of :meat: we've ever cooked in our crock pot.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:08 am
KYGTIGuy wrote:

Lol. Ok man. Don't get offended.