Corollise GT RS 1.8

Strut your greasy stuff!
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:03 am
Detroit wrote:Heloc on a brand new :waxer: house? :impressive:
:whocares: a low interest loan is a low interest loan. Can't afford not to take it. I have plenty of cash to buy a $7k car but would consider a loan on one as well.

Also, not everyone is rich like DFD bros... $7k is a lot to most Americans.
:dat: too.

I COULD squat and shit 10k cash (esp after tax return), :butwhy:

It costs me 300 dollars over a few years to use the banks money....then i'll do that.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:35 pm

I'm not balls deep yet, but we'll see how I feel after the weekend with the Cayman. Other things I plan on trying out are the 370Z, BRZ, Mustang GT and EcBROboost...

There isn't really much to "upgrade" from the C5. E90 M3 would be cool but more expensive and less reliable than the Cayman, plus I'm betting higher insurance and definitely higher fuel costs. C6 would be the sensible choice but it feels boring to just get into another Corvette. I like light cars, I like sports cars. I can get away with having a two seater only at this stage of my life, so why not?

The Cayman seems pretty cheap. As you pointed out in the other thread, most of the "huge maintenance cost" stuff can be handled for not a lot of money by DIY. If I get a 2011 or so for $25k or so, there's not all that much room to depreciate, especially since the new four cylinder models are "terrible" and all of that. I'm guessing insurance will be fairly cheap along the lines of the Corvette, stuff that old people like is cheap to insure.

I could just keep the C5, but :plac: . I've had it for 3.5 years and something new would be fun. The Cayman checks the boxes and will be a lot nicer to be in day to day, better handling, won't scrape on everything as much. I really fell in love with the Elise and the Cayman seems the closest thing that I can afford and is actually usable as a daily.
I dunno the amount of "power" in a gayman is just a huge "shock" from when you're going from a C5 IMO. I also think the first gen caymans look pretty damn dated now...

I can totally see the value of a 40k slightly used CPO gayman that looks identical to the new ones... but a 3 gen old one with a crucial bearing made of Reichskristall meh... it takes the "joy" out of that. Might as well keep the C5. I do think a 370z is a nice compromise... but you'd have to be ok with the badge. I think the 370z in touring trim adds a lot of refinement etc over a C5.
you fucking kill me, man :lolol:
Johnny_P

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:37 pm
The Cayman is NOT quiet... especially on 19s.. or even 18s. They are not the most refined cars. Perhaps more refined than a C5 but on par with a Z.
I don't doubt it. I'm planning to get a 370Z next month for a Yosemite weekend trip and have the Cayman S for the trip to Zion this weekend, so I'll be getting a nice real world experience in both. I can't help but suspect the ownershit costs in the Cayman are actually lower though.

The perks of the Z would be a newer car for less money, less worries due to being new and Japanese, and of course power.

Cayman perks are mid engine, nicer interior (I like the design more), better depreciation, lighter, and the fact that it would just be really cool to own a Porsche before turning 30 next year. #YOLO :millennial:
Both of these would be great cars to own. Interested to hear what you think about them. My buddy's Cayman S was the best car I've ever driven.
Johnny_P

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:08 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:43 pm

I don't doubt it. I'm planning to get a 370Z next month for a Yosemite weekend trip and have the Cayman S for the trip to Zion this weekend, so I'll be getting a nice real world experience in both. I can't help but suspect the ownershit costs in the Cayman are actually lower though.

The perks of the Z would be a newer car for less money, less worries due to being new and Japanese, and of course power.

Cayman perks are mid engine, nicer interior (I like the design more), better depreciation, lighter, and the fact that it would just be really cool to own a Porsche before turning 30 next year. #YOLO :millennial:
For now it still seems like 370z is pretty much fairly fully depreciated at 15-23k depending on miles/year. The key is finding a sport+touring+manuel model... which is a bit of a :unicorn: search. Both sport+Touring add very good features to an otherwise blandish car.
Not too hard to find sport, but most sports are cloth interior. Depends if Tokyo Griff wants that or not. I agree the leather interior does seem to add a lot to these cars. I'm not sure the navi system is worth it doe. The Z is attractive because it's just a sledgehammer of a reliable motor in a very good looking rather rare package.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

The whole point is that a 7k toy car is a 7k toy not daily transportation, and you'd have to have a substantial income in order to justify a 7k toy... that's just my opinion though man.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:10 pm

For now it still seems like 370z is pretty much fairly fully depreciated at 15-23k depending on miles/year. The key is finding a sport+touring+manuel model... which is a bit of a :unicorn: search. Both sport+Touring add very good features to an otherwise blandish car.
Not too hard to find sport, but most sports are cloth interior. Depends if Tokyo Griff wants that or not. I agree the leather interior does seem to add a lot to these cars. I'm not sure the navi system is worth it doe. The Z is attractive because it's just a sledgehammer of a reliable motor in a very good looking rather rare package.
The leather is partial leather, middle remains cloth and doesn't get hot/keeps you well in place. The better door panels/dash/stereo/ are all worth the non-noticeable upcharge for the touring.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:10 pm

The leather is partial leather, middle remains cloth and doesn't get hot/keeps you well in place. The better door panels/dash/stereo/ are all worth the non-noticeable upcharge for the touring.
The nice thing about this car search is that I have all of the time in the world, regardless of what car I decide on, I can search as long as needed to find the desired spec.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Finally got a day over 50F, painted the front :ramz: silver to match the rears. Hopefully they turn out OK, they look decent at a glance.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm Finally got a day over 50F, painted the front :ramz: silver to match the rears. Hopefully they turn out OK, they look decent at a glance.

Thanks for painting my wheels.
brain go brrrrrr
Johnny_P

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:20 am
troyguitar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm Finally got a day over 50F, painted the front :ramz: silver to match the rears. Hopefully they turn out OK, they look decent at a glance.

Thanks for painting my wheels.
Rustoleum. Good shit.
troyguitar

I used the duplicolor "wheel paint" and they look :notbad: but I think I'm going to put a couple coats of clear gloss on top now and let them actually cure for awhile before getting the tarz back on. Prepping the surfaces and getting everything mounted up like that was 95% of the work, might as well add the clear.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:33 pm I used the duplicolor "wheel paint" and they look :notbad: but I think I'm going to put a couple coats of clear gloss on top now and let them actually cure for awhile before getting the tarz back on. Prepping the surfaces and getting everything mounted up like that was 95% of the work, might as well add the clear.
I've used it before. The clear is 5/7. Definitely add after going through the effort.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:37 pm

I still like the 370Z. Also, it's a front-mid setup - so weight is behind the axle.
It is a great sports car. I miss mine a fair amount. They certainly won’t make many cars like this for much longer
ChrisoftheNorth

I still like the 370Z. Also, it's a front-mid setup - so weight is behind the axle.
Same as a :poorvette: breh.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

:triggered:
troyguitar

Detroit wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:44 pm

:dat:

Though in the RX8 it's way more "mid" than in the :poorvette:

The C5 engine's center line is just barely behind the front axle - the RX8's entire engine is way behind the front axle. Dat :jalepenis: 1.3 :doe:
troyguitar

Apex
Drives: Abominable

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm
I like the premise of the :poorvette: but I don't think I could ever own one. :iono:

It just feels too clunky at slower speeds.
:poorvette: needs :plaid:
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:52 pm
:dat:

Though in the RX8 it's way more "mid" than in the :poorvette:

The C5 engine's center line is just barely behind the front axle - the RX8's entire engine is way behind the front axle. Dat :jalepenis: 1.3 :doe:
Eh, the entire engine (other than accessories) is behind the "axle". I'm sure the RX8 is further back, doe.

:iono:

ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm
I like the premise of the :poorvette: but I don't think I could ever own one. :iono:

It just feels too clunky at slower speeds.
Makes sense. Not everyone can handle the :plaid:
troyguitar

All this bloody work because silver :ramz: are not cool enough to be an option anymore. :disgust:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/PaJUR ... 90-h950-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/dW4kv ... 90-h950-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9NlU2 ... 90-h950-no

At least they look pretty good and the paint is cheap.
troyguitar

That's after clear. 5 thin coats of silver, 3 thin coats of clear. Also, I didn't do anything differently with the photo links. The Google shit is just unpredictable.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:16 pm That's after clear. 5 thin coats of silver, 3 thin coats of clear. Also, I didn't do anything differently with the photo links. The Google shit is just unpredictable.
Yea I see the pics now, too.
And the :ramz: look 5/7
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Yep, that silver turned out real nice. Troy's pics have always worked for me, and these ones still do.
ChrisoftheNorth

Man, if I could post from my google photos instead of rehosting them on imgur, that would be :fuckyeah: