Home chat 1.0

Building Bag End? Did your front fall off? More leaks than a Chinese steamboat? Show us your pinterest projects!

How do you house, brah?

Own it
67%
Rent it
19%
:crang: in mom's basement
10%
:dong: grabbing frat house
2%
At school
No votes
I'm nomadic
2%

Total votes: 42
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am
I'm sick of this project, and I don't want to redo it. Forcing her to live with this error will have far more impact than fixing it for her.
Exactly.

I LOUDLY voiced my concern for this. She didn't care and claims she knows everything. I'm already practicing my

or maybe

But probably

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

And I put some serious effort into the tile. Proper spacing, bullnose edges, it looks really nice...and will be painful for her to even suggest tearing out to fix the concept flaw.

Pretty much just :trollface:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:41 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:34 am

Exactly.

I LOUDLY voiced my concern for this. She didn't care and claims she knows everything. I'm already practicing my

or maybe

But probably

brain go brrrrrr
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: MK7 GTI

Top rack of the dishwasher isn't havin' it. I read up online about poking out the holes in the arms and then soaking the full arms in vinegar to beat any buildup. Anyone here have any luck cleaning them before?
The panda hath arrived.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am
Jaxper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am Top rack of the dishwasher isn't havin' it. I read up online about poking out the holes in the arms and then soaking the full arms in vinegar to beat any buildup. Anyone here have any luck cleaning them before?
Could probably try CLR, too.

D'oh, yeah. Good call. I'll pick some up and run a cycle with just that inside. If that doesn't work, I'll try soaking the spray arms in that.
The panda hath arrived.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

At some point on a dishwasher you're just fooked.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm At some point on a dishwasher you're just fooked.
I hope that's not the case. I'm hoping to avoid adding a dishwasher to the list of upcoming expenses.
The panda hath arrived.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Jaxper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:10 pm At some point on a dishwasher you're just fooked.
I hope that's not the case. I'm hoping to avoid adding a dishwasher to the list of upcoming expenses.
Try a few cycles with this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R0DXQE/re ... 6343683675
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Jaxper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:00 am
[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:15 am

Could probably try CLR, too.

D'oh, yeah. Good call. I'll pick some up and run a cycle with just that inside. If that doesn't work, I'll try soaking the spray arms in that.
I periodically run a cycle after pouring a cup of white vinegar into the bottom of the tub. Seems to help.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:17 pm
Jaxper wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 pm

Try a few cycles with this stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002R0DXQE/re ... 6343683675
I've used this, too. It helps to keep the sides of the interior clean.
ChrisoftheNorth

For those that care about my mild kitchen remod:

To recap:

Ran 6" duct in the ceiling along the wall to the left to the outside
Patched ceiling where duct was run
Patched fallen plaster in the middle of the ceiling that's been missing since we moved in
Tiled backsplash above all existing counters
Installed range hood. 36" model over 30" range
Painted walls

To do:
Install new fridge that's sitting in our garage
New range and dishwasher coming this week
Install shelves around range. We bought 100 year old barn wood for this task this past weekend

Such pinshit.

Our friends that have seen it are :mindblown: at the transformation. I'll admit that I am too. The kitchen was pretty meh before:

in progress:

Cooking with a working externally venting range hood is absolutely :mindblown: game changing. We came from the worthless recirc microwave, and the house before this had a equally worthless Jennaire down draft.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

:ohmy: that's an awesome upgrade there Detroit!

Don't ruin it with exposed shelving. I'd leave it as is.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 am :ohmy: that's an awesome upgrade there Detroit!

Honestly...and I really REALLY hate to admit it, but the open shelving will look decent. We got this ancient barn wood...like a 2.5" thick by 10" wide solid oak beam that we'll cut into shelves and mount floating on the wall. It's rough sawn, some parts have natural edges, it's probably 150 years old. It'll complete the look since I tiled the wall around where the shelves will go.

Don't mistake "look decent" for "good idea". I still think the practicality of the the concept is a complete :nope: joke.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:39 am
Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:08 am :ohmy: that's an awesome upgrade there Detroit!

Honestly...and I really REALLY hate to admit it, but the open shelving will look decent. We got this ancient barn wood...like a 2.5" thick by 10" wide solid oak beam that we'll cut into shelves and mount floating on the wall. It's rough sawn, some parts have natural edges, it's probably 150 years old. It'll complete the look since I tiled the wall around where the shelves will go.

Don't mistake "look decent" for "good idea". I still think the practicality of the the concept is a complete :nope: joke.
In4pics when the shelving is up then. I dig the current look doe.
Jaxper
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I think open shelving looks great, but the practical use of it, particularly around the stove, is one of those situations where the cons outweigh the pros, IMO.

Also, we ran a cycle of Affresh the other day with only a slight improvement. The bottom rack was cleaning better, but the top still wasn't getting cleaned. Decided to go full boar and run a cycle with 3/4 C of CLR in a measuring cup on the bottom rack last night. We'll test it out soon and see if it changes much.
The panda hath arrived.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:51 am

In4pics when the shelving is up then. I dig the current look doe.
The walls are just a bit bare without anything on them. Worse IRL than in the photo. It's really hard to photograph this kitchen.
wap

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:34 am For those that care about my mild kitchen remod:

To recap:

Ran 6" duct in the ceiling along the wall to the left to the outside
Patched ceiling where duct was run
Patched fallen plaster in the middle of the ceiling that's been missing since we moved in
Tiled backsplash above all existing counters
Installed range hood. 36" model over 30" range
Painted walls

To do:
Install new fridge that's sitting in our garage
New range and dishwasher coming this week
Install shelves around range. We bought 100 year old barn wood for this task this past weekend

Such pinshit.

Our friends that have seen it are :mindblown: at the transformation. I'll admit that I am too. The kitchen was pretty meh before:

in progress:

Cooking with a working externally venting range hood is absolutely :mindblown: game changing. We came from the worthless recirc microwave, and the house before this had a equally worthless Jennaire down draft.
That looks really great! Open shelves doe :disgust: But you know dis already.:deadhorse:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

First, that looks fucking great! Tile choice is 10/10 badass! Do I spy pinshit "wash" paint on the wall? It looks tight as well.

I actually agree with you that the open shelves will look good. Just use them for worthless kitchen pottery barn doodadery like roosters and pigs and shit. A few cookbooks? You could cover part of a wall with a "menu" chalkboard.......can you smell what I'm cooking?
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:05 pm

First, that looks fucking great! Tile choice is 10/10 badass! Do I spy pinshit "wash" paint on the wall? It looks tight as well.

I actually agree with you that the open shelves will look good. Just use them for worthless kitchen pottery barn doodadery like roosters and pigs and shit. A few cookbooks? You could cover part of a wall with a "menu" chalkboard.......can you smell what I'm cooking?
I was pretty stoked when she picked the tile. IRL, it's a neat brownish grey color that the potato can't capture well at all. We used a medium brown grout (that lightened as all grout seems to) and it turned out 5/7. :notsure: on "wash" paint. The walls are nearly 100 year old plaster, so they're pretty wavy. I offered to skim coat them smooth, but wife likes the "character" of the waviness. Her words: "old house, old walls, love the character". Whatever. While I had everything out, it would have been easy to accomplish, but it's done now. I put an epic amount of work into the ceiling for it turn out not at all noticeable. And that's the best compliment of the job.

She also got fleeced on the wall paint. I sent her to Sherwin Williams to buy a gallon of paint and I specified "SuperPaint" (which is a solid mid-grade". They sold her on the "best" Duration. While I agree that it's probably the best, it's also $60/gallon. She did tell them it was for her "painter" so she got 30% off, but that's still a $50 gallon of paint. It's the consistency of pudding, and went on really nice, doe. Supposed to have insane washability.

Most of the shelves will get :bs: cook books, spices, bowls with useless shit in them, etc. BUT...she does intend on putting plates and bowls on two of the shelves. Which is :rolleyes:

I will say that this hood is legit. It sucks everything up. Should hopefully alleviate some of the grease spray, but the dust will still fly. I told her I'm using paper plates unless she wants to rinse my plate before we eat every time. She said she would. :yeahok:

I'm not putting more pinshit ideas in her head. After the shelves are up, I still need to paint all the cabinet pulls black. They'll look 5/7 and be much cheaper than new, but this project has many facets to it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I was pretty stoked when she picked the tile. IRL, it's a neat brownish grey color that the potato can't capture well at all. We used a medium brown grout (that lightened as all grout seems to) and it turned out 5/7. :notsure: on "wash" paint. The walls are nearly 100 year old plaster, so they're pretty wavy. I offered to skim coat them smooth, but wife likes the "character" of the waviness. Her words: "old house, old walls, love the character". Whatever. While I had everything out, it would have been easy to accomplish, but it's done now. I put an epic amount of work into the ceiling for it turn out not at all noticeable. And that's the best compliment of the job.

She also got fleeced on the wall paint. I sent her to Sherwin Williams to buy a gallon of paint and I specified "SuperPaint" (which is a solid mid-grade". They sold her on the "best" Duration. While I agree that it's probably the best, it's also $60/gallon. She did tell them it was for her "painter" so she got 30% off, but that's still a $50 gallon of paint. It's the consistency of pudding, and went on really nice, doe. Supposed to have insane washability.

Most of the shelves will get :bs: cook books, spices, bowls with useless shit in them, etc. BUT...she does intend on putting plates and bowls on two of the shelves. Which is :rolleyes:

I will say that this hood is legit. It sucks everything up. Should hopefully alleviate some of the grease spray, but the dust will still fly. I told her I'm using paper plates unless she wants to rinse my plate before we eat every time. She said she would. :yeahok:

I'm not putting more pinshit ideas in her head. After the shelves are up, I still need to paint all the cabinet pulls black. They'll look 5/7 and be much cheaper than new, but this project has many facets to it.
After having wasted enought time with shitty paint, IDGAF how much it costs as long as it looks good, particularly a limited amount. You're not talking about rolling a 6K square foot house in the stuff.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

After having wasted enought time with shitty paint, IDGAF how much it costs as long as it looks good, particularly a limited amount. You're not talking about rolling a 6K square foot house in the stuff.
I always buy high quality paint, but no need to :waxer: Still needed 2 coats, so we'll see how the supposed durability is.
ChrisoftheNorth

I made a last-ditch effort to squash the open shelving concept and it backfired on me. I told her that I thought the barnwood would be too heavy (10"x2.5"x3' solid oak) for shelves and that we should probably look for cabinets to hang instead. This was BEFORE we bought the barnwood. She insisted it would be fine, and so we bought the wood.

Last night she said that she thought I was right and that the shelves would be too heavy. :fuckyeah:

She went on to show me one of those stupid pinshit blogs where this girl made shelves out of IKEA shelf brackets and decking material. :rolleyes: :rage:

This is the new direction. To make matters worse, we spent $100 on barnwood we have no use for now. At least the new execution will be cheap, but still. FUUUUUU

The best part is this blog is full of women commenting about how badly they want open shelves but their husbands are against it. There's a resonably long thread in the comments full of wives complaining about their "stupid husbands".

They're banning against us gents. Resistance is futile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am I made a last-ditch effort to squash the open shelving concept and it backfired on me. I told her that I thought the barnwood would be too heavy (10"x2.5"x3' solid oak) for shelves and that we should probably look for cabinets to hang instead. This was BEFORE we bought the barnwood. She insisted it would be fine, and so we bought the wood.

Last night she said that she thought I was right and that the shelves would be too heavy. :fuckyeah:

She went on to show me one of those stupid pinshit blogs where this girl made shelves out of IKEA shelf brackets and decking material. :rolleyes: :rage:

This is the new direction. To make matters worse, we spent $100 on barnwood we have no use for now. At least the new execution will be cheap, but still. FUUUUUU

The best part is this blog is full of women commenting about how badly they want open shelves but their husbands are against it. There's a resonably long thread in the comments full of wives complaining about their "stupid husbands".

Well... in their defense, there is plenty of wife bashing/bitching that goes on on men forums.

Open shelving though? In the kitchen? :gag: I didn't even know this was a thing. :butwhy: would anyone think that was better than cabinets? I fucking hate clutter and the thought of looking at all of the spices sitting out just makes me :triggered: .
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:19 am I made a last-ditch effort to squash the open shelving concept and it backfired on me. I told her that I thought the barnwood would be too heavy (10"x2.5"x3' solid oak) for shelves and that we should probably look for cabinets to hang instead. This was BEFORE we bought the barnwood. She insisted it would be fine, and so we bought the wood.

Well... in their defense, there is plenty of wife bashing/bitching that goes on on men forums.

Open shelving though? In the kitchen? :gag: I didn't even know this was a thing. :butwhy: would anyone think that was better than cabinets? I fucking hate clutter and the thought of looking at all of the spices sitting out just makes me :triggered: .
Agreed 100%. But womenz are all in on it for some reason.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I hung some crown molding under our bar last weekend. It turned out pretty well considering it has weird angles and I'd never used a miter saw or dealt with molding/trim. The people who installed the counters had totally FUBARED the wall so at least that can't be seen now.