DFD Travelogue - From 7-11 to the Arctic - Post it up

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Quick weekend trip up to SF with Michelle this weekend. First time travelling just us. Had some of my friends in Costa Rica, and her family went to Rhode Island with us. Should be fun.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

I just got back from the Bahamas 2 weeks ago.

Ain't nuttin' wrong down there
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 pm Quick weekend trip up to SF with Michelle this weekend. First time travelling just us. Had some of my friends in Costa Rica, and her family went to Rhode Island with us. Should be fun.
I got a strange question for you....you always say your significant others full name and not "my gf/wife/soulmate/etc" Nothing wrong with it obvuously, it just stands out. Why?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:10 pm
SAWCE wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 pm Quick weekend trip up to SF with Michelle this weekend. First time travelling just us. Had some of my friends in Costa Rica, and her family went to Rhode Island with us. Should be fun.
I got a strange question for you....you always say your significant others full name and not "my gf/wife/soulmate/etc" Nothing wrong with it obvuously, it just stands out. Why?
I'm not really sure. I think I do it with my IRL friends when I post about them in there too. At least the one or two that I mention regularly. I guess I figure that since I've mentioned her name, it just makes more sense to keep using it instead of just referring to her as my gf.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 pm I just got back from the Bahamas 2 weeks ago.

Nassau? Freeport? Elsewhere?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

KYGTIGuy wrote:I just got back from the Bahamas 2 weeks ago.

Beaches and resorts ok? Where did you stay?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:58 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:08 pm I just got back from the Bahamas 2 weeks ago.

Nassau? Freeport? Elsewhere?
Nassau and, wait for it......Castaway Cay! Hooray!!! Fart noises. (Disney cruise)

Literally the only time I'm been tempted to drink since I quit. Boats, sun, sand...
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

We docked next to a boat called the Elation which had a person fall off their balcony and splat in the deck and die the night before. Looked like good times on their boat.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 pm We docked next to a boat called the Elation which had a person fall off their balcony and splat in the deck and die the night before. Looked like good times on their boat.
I just read about that the other day. Man, I don't understand "falling" over a railing on a cruise ship. The railings are HIGH. Way above a person's center of gravity. You have to literally climb up and over to fall from them so people are either being pushed or drunk and stupid.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 pm We docked next to a boat called the Elation which had a person fall off their balcony and splat in the deck and die the night before. Looked like good times on their boat.
I just read about that the other day. Man, I don't understand "falling" over a railing on a cruise ship. The railings are HIGH. Way above a person's center of gravity. You have to literally climb up and over to fall from them so people are either being pushed or drunk and stupid.
Yeah, that was my first cruise and I thought the same thing. Railing are probably nipple high for the average woman

I'm not a cruise type guy. But it was a birthday gift to my 3 year old from my mom. Enormous stateroom....still would pay for a cruise.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:09 pm

Yeah, that was my first cruise and I thought the same thing. Railing are probably nipple high for the average woman

I'm not a cruise type guy. But it was a birthday gift to my 3 year old from my mom. Enormous stateroom....still would pay for a cruise.
Exactly.

We are going on our 9th cruise this December. They're really a 5/7 vacation :dill: , especially when you find a special.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Exactly.

We are going on our 9th cruise this December. They're really a 5/7 vacation :dill: , especially when you find a special.
Why not just fly to a location and stay at a all inclusive of that's you bag?

Are cruises cheaper?

I get the appeal of "Everything's paid for!" But you aren't really seeing the places you're going.

Lay it on me Wap, tell me what's good. I trust your opinion .
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm
Yowza
Yeah man. Things looked pretty somber on the Elation.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:20 pm

Exactly.

Are cruises cheaper?

I get the appeal of "Everything's paid for!" But you aren't really seeing the places you're going.

For us, the experience of being on the ship is part of the fun. We can visit several ports on 1 trip or just stay on board and relax. Often, the sea days are the nicest. And I've only visited maybe 3-4 places that I'd even want to spend more than a day at anyway. And those we probably will fly back to and stay for several days one of these days. Cruises are relaxing :aintcare: vacations for us, as opposed to our Euro always-on-the-go trips. Plus, for the past few years we've driven to the departure point so they are now also road trips for us which makes them even more enjoyable.

Again, just my opinion. YMMV
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Are cruises cheaper?

For us, the experience of being on the ship is part of the fun. We can visit several ports on 1 trip or just stay on board and relax. Often, the sea days are the nicest. And I've only visited maybe 3-4 places that I'd even want to spend more than a day at anyway. And those we probably will fly back to and stay for several days one of these days. Cruises are relaxing :aintcare: vacations for us, as opposed to our Euro always-on-the-go trips. Plus, for the past few years we've driven to the departure point so they are now also road trips for us which makes them even more enjoyable.

My kids need too many naps these days so it keeps is in the cabin a lot. Before kids I didn't want that kinda restrictive trip. I can envision a time where it would be enjoyable. All inclusive have moved up the list for the same reasons. No trains to catch, no accommodating different food prefrences...etc..
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm
wap wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:32 pm

My kids need too many naps these days so it keeps is in the cabin a lot. Before kids I didn't want that kinda restrictive trip. I can envision a time where it would be enjoyable. All inclusive have moved up the list for the same reasons. No trains to catch, no accommodating different food prefrences...etc..
Whatever works for you man. Everyone's wants and needs are different. The important thing is to travel. Leave the US every now and then and go see the world. It's mostly 5/7.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

This is purely anecdotal, but we met this French family in Hawaii and they said the South of France blows in comparison and never to go :iono:
In comparison to Hawaii, what compares favorably as far as tropical beauty? Fiji?
Nowhere I've been, but it kind of depends what you're looking for. The thing about Hawaii is there is everything, palm trees, beaches, oceans, sunsets, sunrises, waterfalls, cliffs, flowers, mountains, volcanoes. It's very beautiful and diverse. Other tropical places may offer some of these things but few all of them. That being said there are tons I haven't visited and I'm sure others are beautiful.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Went to Denver for a few days. Unfortunately it was with a client (although they were fun to drink with). Pretty cool city, reminded me of Austin in a lot of ways. That and legal weed :mindblown:

Heading to the southwest on an actual weekend vacation in a couple weeks. Lot of driving but gonna hit up some good hikes and shit.
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Updated travel for 2018:

1) Currently in Qatar for 6 months
2) July/August back to Maryland for a few days with family
3) Helen, GA (sometime in the fall)
4) Deals Fap (IDK when)
5) TBD
Davestr
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

On the road back to Dubai again.

Photo of the most beautiful country-side in the world blasting by at 250kmph on the train to Flughafen Frankfurt

Emirates lounge waiting for the jet. Will check in later on. Keep Plac'n - dealers need love too :)

Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Zilch and I are booked to travel from Switzerland up the Rhine river to Amsterdam next April. :fuckyeah:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Davestr

Sno wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 am Zilch and I are booked to travel from Switzerland up the Rhine river to Amsterdam next April. :fuckyeah:
Epic beauty. Contact me if u are in the South of Germany. I am not at all far from Zurich. Will be in Zurich soon if u need anything.
Davestr

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:27 am
Davestr wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 am On the road back to Dubai again.

Photo of the most beautiful country-side in the world blasting by at 250kmph on the train to Flughafen Frankfurt

Emirates lounge waiting for the jet. Will check in later on. Keep Plac'n - dealers need love too :)

Have an awesome trip man!
Yo get that awesome Alfa and roll out!!! :ludacris: :ludacris: About an hour to touchdown now. Nice day to fly!!
Davestr

Sno wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 7:35 am Zilch and I are booked to travel from Switzerland up the Rhine river to Amsterdam next April. :fuckyeah:
Oh that is fucking awesome
Totally agree. For sure want to hear about that. Never done a river cruise nor spent much time on the Rhein. Very cool sounding adventure. Im always on the Danube.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Davestr wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Oh that is fucking awesome
Totally agree. For sure want to hear about that. Never done a river cruise nor spent much time on the Rhein. Very cool sounding adventure. Im always on the Danube.
I heard good things about the river cruises, but i'm probably too :millennial: for that right now.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.