DFD Travelogue - From 7-11 to the Arctic - Post it up

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

wap wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:09 pm

in a car like this too, 150 hp is enough for east euro roads.
https://www.sahibinden.com/ilan/vasita- ... 5838/detay
:like: I like Leons.
As far as VAG compact cars, their styling is pretty much my favorite, sharp looking and those LED's looks almost like Audi's.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:19 pm
wap wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:15 pm

:like: I like Leons.
As far as VAG compact cars, their styling is pretty much my favorite, sharp looking and those LED's looks almost like Audi's.
Agreed.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Mazda6

Probably Germany to take my kids to see my wife's grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not my choice really. But she wants her grandmother to meet our daughter. She's almost 90.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm
[user not found] wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:03 pm

South of France perhaps?
This is purely anecdotal, but we met this French family in Hawaii and they said the South of France blows in comparison and never to go :iono:
In comparison to Hawaii, what compares favorably as far as tropical beauty? Fiji?
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:04 pm Probably Germany to take my kids to see my wife's grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not my choice really. But she wants her grandmother to meet our daughter. She's almost 90.
Nice. Where in Germany?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:04 pm Probably Germany to take my kids to see my wife's grandparents and aunts and uncles. Not my choice really. But she wants her grandmother to meet our daughter. She's almost 90.
Nice. Where in Germany?
Bad Sackingen. One of her grandmothers literally has the Rhine river on the border with Switzerland In her back yard. We spend as much time in Switzerland as we do in Germany when we visit.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:27 pm

Nice. Where in Germany?
Bad Sackingen. One of her grandmothers literally has the Rhine river on the border with Switzerland In her back yard. We spend as much time in Switzerland as we do in Germany when we visit.
Cool. We're contemplating Switzerland for our Euro trip this year. I've never been and it's long been on the list so maybe this will be the year. Maybe.
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:37 pm

Cool. We're contemplating Switzerland for our Euro trip this year. I've never been and it's long been on the list so maybe this will be the year. Maybe.
It's nice. Clean. Expensive. Lucerne is beautiful. Bern too. If you go in the summer you have to take one of the high mountain passes in your rental car. It's terrifying but pretty awesome to see.

Lauterbrunnen has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Then take the train to Jungfraujoch
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

But don't eat the pherd.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:48 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:39 pm

It's nice. Clean. Expensive. Lucerne is beautiful. Bern too. If you go in the summer you have to take one of the high mountain passes in your rental car. It's terrifying but pretty awesome to see.

Lauterbrunnen has got to be one of the most beautiful places on earth. Then take the train to Jungfraujoch
Thanks for the tips. If we end up going maybe I'll hit you up for more tips.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 pm But don't eat the pherd.
:butwhy:
:wat: is it?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:51 pm But don't eat the pherd.
Horse meat. On the menu it gave the normal options along with where is was sources lamb from New Zealand, pork from Germany...then, pherd(horse) from Mexico.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:09 pm

Horse meat. On the menu it gave the normal options along with where is was sources lamb from New Zealand, pork from Germany...then, pherd(horse) from Mexico.
But does it taste good?
I mean, is it that different than eating cow, pig, lamb, venison, elk, reindeer, etc?
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 pm
KYGTIGuy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 pm

But does it taste good?
I mean, is it that different than eating cow, pig, lamb, venison, elk, reindeer, etc?
I didn't try it there. I had it once in Venice. It tasted like a tough sirloin or other lean tough cut of beef.
wap

KYGTIGuy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:38 am
wap wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 pm

But does it taste good?
I didn't try it there. I had it once in Venice. It tasted like a tough sirloin or other lean tough cut of beef.
Maybe it just wasn't cooked right :iono:
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Time off confirmed for the trip back to England and Wales in the summer. We're looking to fly out Friday night for the week, then fly back the following Sunday.

How far out in advance should I book flights? I know we're heading out in prime summer travel season, but flights are ~$1150 each if I was to book today. If I look in May or June the flights are only $650-800.
wap

fledonfoot wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:11 pm Time off confirmed for the trip back to England and Wales in the summer. We're looking to fly out Friday night for the week, then fly back the following Sunday.

How far out in advance should I book flights? I know we're heading out in prime summer travel season, but flights are ~$1150 each if I was to book today. If I look in May or June the flights are only $650-800.
I never had luck waiting to book flights. It seems like whenever I try waiting I end up buying at a higher price than if I just bought immediately. YMMV of course.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

In my minimal experience, Google has good data on that.
wap

[user not found] wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:44 pm
troyguitar wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 pm In my minimal experience, Google has good data on that.
They generally do. I typically believe in booking as early as possible.

Mid summer flights are always expensive.
:dat:
KYGTIGuy
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

6 weeks out on a Tuesday at 3pm.

I shit you not.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

[user not found] wrote:Also clear all your cookies or use a different computer. If you've searched for the flight before, the price will be higher. Also search on your phone (on data not wifi) and computer at the same time. Prices might be different.
Good tip, I noticed this and thought I was :mahtroy: luck till now.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Speaking of which, Jamaica is back on for us.. spoke with a couple who just got back as well I got feedback from my agent who called for feedback from a six person group who all went to Montego Bay and nothing to report or worry about. They all stayed on resorts and there wasn't any sign of trouble (airport, ride to the resort, or during their stay). The 'State of Emergency' declared by the local government probably gave them the power and authority to secure the trouble spots with greater means. Rough place man, but I feel pretty confident about the trip.

I can still cancel at the end of this week with a loss of $300/person on thr trip, and if safety concerns escalate I still have a cancellation option.

Should be a good time.
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am Speaking of which, Jamaica is back on for us.. spoke with a couple who just got back as well I got feedback from my agent who called for feedback from a six person group who all went to Montego Bay and nothing to report or worry about. They all stayed on resorts and there wasn't any sign of trouble (airport, ride to the resort, or during their stay). The 'State of Emergency' declared by the local government probably gave them the power and authority to secure the trouble spots with greater means. Rough place man, but I feel pretty confident about the trip.

I can still cancel at the end of this week with a loss of $300/person on thr trip, and if safety concerns escalate I still have a cancellation option.

Should be a good time.
Good news!

Just throwing this out there, but does it make any sense to maybe look for a resort on another Caribbean island that is more politically stable? Barbados comes to mind, or Martinique or maybe the Caymans. Or are they too :waxer: ?
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote:
Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 am Speaking of which, Jamaica is back on for us.. spoke with a couple who just got back as well I got feedback from my agent who called for feedback from a six person group who all went to Montego Bay and nothing to report or worry about. They all stayed on resorts and there wasn't any sign of trouble (airport, ride to the resort, or during their stay). The 'State of Emergency' declared by the local government probably gave them the power and authority to secure the trouble spots with greater means. Rough place man, but I feel pretty confident about the trip.

Should be a good time.
Good news!

Just throwing this out there, but does it make any sense to maybe look for a resort on another Caribbean island that is more politically stable? Barbados comes to mind, or Martinique or maybe the Caymans. Or are they too :waxer: ?
:like: the suggestion and I looked into the option.

They are also all on the same advisory list. Barbados, Bahamas, Mexico and Caymans as well as 25 others. Jamaica is also one of the islands that didnt get hit with the 5 hurricanes that tore through the region last fall so their beaches are still usable. Cuba is the best of the bunch for security and medical support capabilities. The communist leadership runs a tight ship, but I also think that the culture closely resembles a European influence with a juuge Russian and Spanish descendant base. I originally wanted to go there but reviews were poor on the food front and it's a bit colder since its in line with FL

This whole issue came about when two Jamaican Canadians were killed in their vacation home which was not in a secured area. It brought attention to the island and the gov needed to react strongly to the gang behaviors or it would lose it's primary source of income from CA at least. Mexico lost ALL Canadian tourists from 2004 to 2007 when a couple was killed on a resort in their room. It was a very upscale place and people think the couple was connected to the Mob in Toronto so a hit was arranged from home.

We are merely sheeple so probably not going to be a target... hopefully
wap

Tarspin wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:21 pm
wap wrote:
Good news!

:like: the suggestion and I looked into the option.

They are also all on the same advisory list. Barbados, Bahamas, Mexico and Caymans as well as 25 others. Jamaica is also one of the islands that didnt get hit with the 5 hurricanes that tore through the region last fall so their beaches are still usable. Cuba is the best of the bunch for security and medical support capabilities. The communist leadership runs a tight ship, but I also think that the culture closely resembles a European influence with a juuge Russian and Spanish descendant base. I originally wanted to go there but reviews were poor on the food front and it's a bit colder since its in line with FL

This whole issue came about when two Jamaican Canadians were killed in their vacation home which was not in a secured area. It brought attention to the island and the gov needed to react strongly to the gang behaviors or it would lose it's primary source of income from CA at least. Mexico lost ALL Canadian tourists from 2004 to 2007 when a couple was killed on a resort in their room. It was a very upscale place and people think the couple was connected to the Mob in Toronto so a hit was arranged from home.

We are merely sheeple so probably not going to be a target... hopefully
Interesting. I'm :jelly: that you guys get to go to Cuba. I think it would be a fascinating place to see.