Wheeling Thread: 4x4 Content

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

I've been wheeling pretty heavily since getting my ZR2. Figured I'd share some of my adventures.

I'll start with my trip to Drummond Island, MI in November. It's part of the Upper Penninsula and the furthest point east in the state of Michigan. It's in Lake Huron, and most of the islands around it are part of Canada. Drummond Island is home to some of the most challenging offroad trails in Michigan, and maybe the midwest. This was my first time there, and won't be my last.

We went with a group of ZR2 owners from a forum. 7 trucks in total, 6 ZR2's, one lifted Z71.

First, you have to take a ferry there:

Obligatory hard parking at the lodge we stayed at

Hit the trail

Time to play...pretty much all the trucks were green...

And then the water started...

Hard parking on Lake Huron

Then the water got deeper...

The "major" obstacle. Most claim to not even attempt it with stock trucks. All trucks made it down and back up without issue. Just a lot of spotting.

The view, that's Canada across the water

Then things went downhill. Our lead truck on 33's got stuck

Real stuck

So stuck that we couldn't tug him out. The sun set and we were hosed. We left it there overnight and came back in the morning.

The next morning, we found a local dude that rented us a hitch-mounted winch. We went back and yanked the truck out.

Ever seen frozen mud?

SUCCESS:

Heading out...

Them birch trees, doe

We'll be going back to Drummond Island next year around the same time. It's a pretty awesome time. Gorgeous county up there. But indeed VERY challenging. It's amazing how well the trucks handled it minus the one dude getting really stuck. There's a number of "fake" mud holes that look solid when you're in the truck, but aren't. These are probably the most challenging. Some of these mud holes require 37's probably. There's bypasses, but you have to search them out. It's a really fun challenge.

We've already got a number of trips planned to different places for the winter and spring, so I'll post most as those happen. Also planning a week-long overland trip through the Upper Peninsula in July. In short, I love wheeling and this truck.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

:fuckyeah: Detroit is posting legit content again.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

That looks awesome.

:like:

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Rental camry could do that.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:28 am :fuckyeah:

Solid. Would love to join you someday.
I think there's areas of PA that need some Duratrac tracks.

There's also apparently some epic wheeling in KY/TN a few people from our area are talking about doing.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 am Rental camry could do that.
:lolol:

It would have hydrolocked on the first water crossing.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

:fuckyeah:

Looks awesome!
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I want a truck :sad:
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:11 pm I want a truck :sad:
:doit:

And a :bike:
Most days I find parking that a full size aircraft carrier Silverado could fit into. About 1/10 days I need to wedge my car into a tiny spot. Those days a much longer vehicle would be a real problem. Or any day I come home after like 7:30 PM, all the street spots are taken. I dunno maybe I'm just being :crang: about it. If I wanted a truck bad enough I bet I could make it work out. Some people in my hood have pickups, granted most of them are totally clapped out (even the brand new ones).

I think a 4Runner would be easier to live with in the city, really.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

this makes me want one too, or perhaps a jeep
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

First off, congrats on the truck, I am personally jelly

Second, that looks fucking awesome.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
Johnny_P

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:37 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm

Most days I find parking that a full size aircraft carrier Silverado could fit into. About 1/10 days I need to wedge my car into a tiny spot. Those days a much longer vehicle would be a real problem. Or any day I come home after like 7:30 PM, all the street spots are taken. I dunno maybe I'm just being :crang: about it. If I wanted a truck bad enough I bet I could make it work out. Some people in my hood have pickups, granted most of them are totally clapped out (even the brand new ones).

4Runner would be :tits: for you.

Cushy ride, tidy dimensions, covered cargo area, :doge: space, rear seats, great resale...

What's not to :wub: ?
I've never driven one so I don't know much about them. And I have an aversion to SUVs because of the much higher center of gravity they have compared to pickups. In my experience they sway noticeably more than pickups do.

Also don't really want to deal with :dillerman: BS just to test drive one. No offense. I guess Carmax is easiest in that regard.
Johnny_P

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm
Jeep is a different animal altogether. This, aside from the length and overall size, will be better to drive every day.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

:impressive: Your truck would stay cleaner at the mall doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Melon wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:47 am :fuckyeah: Detroit is posting legit content again.
:dat:
:fuckyeah: Looks like a fantastic time.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:34 am Rental camry could do that.
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Also 7 truck forumz bros had a total of 0 winches? 0/10 mall points. Do you even Poison Spyder? Do you even accessorize?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:48 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:41 pm

Jeep is a different animal altogether. This, aside from the length and overall size, will be better to drive every day.
I like the way the ZR2's look good too, considering you could do more stuff than u can in a jeep, besides doors off or top down.
Apex

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm Also 7 truck forumz bros had a total of 0 winches? 0/10 mall points. Do you even Poison Spyder? Do you even accessorize?
Must not be a factory accessory, Detroit should fix dat.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:57 pm Also 7 truck forumz bros had a total of 0 winches? 0/10 mall points. Do you even Poison Spyder? Do you even accessorize?
I guess it's just a Jeep thing :sad:
Apex

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm

In4factory hidden winch mount.
:dat: :megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am
I think there's areas of PA that need some Duratrac tracks.

There's also apparently some epic wheeling in KY/TN a few people from our area are talking about doing.
Yep. Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway: https://www.sfwda.org/dbbb/

Really want to do this. Same with George Washington National Forest.
Yep, that's the exact one. Talking about doing it with a few guys up here. I'll let you know if we end up going.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:26 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:21 pm

In4factory hidden winch mount.
It's something I've been pushing for, but this trip changed my mind.

Look at how that truck is stuck. If he had a front winch, it would have been buried in mud and nearly completely worthless, especially since pulling forward would have made the situation worse. The only way out was to pull backward.

We rented a receiver mounted winch, and that's really the way to go. I actually bought one on a black friday deal, along with a front receiver mount. Being able to mount the winch to the front or back depending on the situation would be WAY more useful that having something permanently mounted on the front. Not to mention, you can leave it at home for most of the time when you're not wheeling.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:54 pm :impressive: Your truck would stay cleaner at the mall doe.
Good point.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:22 pm
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:14 pm

:doit:

And a :bike:

Full sizers blow. I will never have another one after getting used to my midsizer. I think you'd be amazed by how maneuverable it really is.

Especially wheeling. Some areas of the trails we did were super narrow. Like big trees on either side narrow. There's no way a full size truck would have fit.