Off-topic? You mean on-topic!
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Ready Player One.

:doit:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Recently started The Empty Throne, book 8 (#11 is being written as we speak) in Bernard Cornwell's historical fiction Last Kingdom series about the Viking invasions of Britain in the 9th and 10th centuries and the birth of the nation of England. The Netflix (and formerly BBC America) series of the same name is based on these books. He is an amazing writer of historical fiction and his battle scenes are :mindblown: George RR Martin himself said that Cornwell writes the best battle scenes. They're apparently friends. 5/7 book so far and definitely a 5/7 series.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain
Drives: straight past the apex

wap wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:25 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:13 pm got 5 books checked out for the cruise

RV life (travel, DIY)
Teel your dog you're pregnant (obviously)
Payoff by Dan Ariely (non-fiction about money and motives)
Total Recall (scifi)
Thunderstruck by Eric Larson (historical fact told as a story, guy wrote Devil in the White City)
Good calories, bad Calories by Gary Taubes (non-fiction, eating, diet, science)
In4review. I loved Devil in the White City. Both parallel stories in that book were fascinating.
Total recall was very good, more of a short story. Much different 2nd half from the movie....
I'm halfway through thunderstruck and can hardly put it down.
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am
wap wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:25 pm

In4review. I loved Devil in the White City. Both parallel stories in that book were fascinating.
Total recall was very good, more of a short story. Much different 2nd half from the movie....
Cool. I gotta pick that up one of these days.
(Thunderstruck)
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '04 R32, '90 Miata, '17 CB300F

Listened to Spark Joy on my plane rides last week. Got a little too detailed into clothes folding TBH. The themes are solid though. I also realized I am apparently more type A about some things than I thought since the author discussed a lot of things that I already do.
Calvinball
Drives: Pumpkin, Hellcat edition

Just started Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds. Will report back.

Sent from the Beer Depository
:therapist:
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

wap wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:28 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:21 am

Cool. I gotta pick that up one of these days.
(Thunderstruck)
Thunderstruck was 5/7.

Readin a star trek novel (Strike Zone TNG #5) then will likely read Disclosure From Michael Crichton.
brain go brrrrrr
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

TNG 5 was ok. started 6.

Missed out on my loan for Disclosure. I'll have to re-up.

My hold for the Subtle art of Not giving a Fuck came through, reading that. So far its good, so far it sounds a lot like minimalism...

In other news, B&N announced a new nook with a kick ass night mode that looks like paper (less blue light) AND page turn buttons came back.
Lets see if its easy to haxor and I might consider it... but it lost its waterproofness. I also have two nook glowlights plusses, mine and a spare the wife couldn't manage to use.
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Amazon delivers:
The Four Agreements - I've read this before and wanted a copy and to read it again
Man's Search for Meaning
Braving the Wilderness
A Twist of the Wrist

Over the weekend I put together the bookshelf again and went through all my books. I have a lot more non-fiction than fiction. A whole lot. I might need some more fun reading in the near future. Serious books are way serious.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Finished the subtle art. So good, much advice, wow. Definite recommend from me.

stripethree wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:16 pm Amazon delivers:
The Four Agreements - I've read this before and wanted a copy and to read it again
Man's Search for Meaning
Braving the Wilderness
A Twist of the Wrist

Over the weekend I put together the bookshelf again and went through all my books. I have a lot more non-fiction than fiction. A whole lot. I might need some more fun reading in the near future. Serious books are way serious.
ok, 1. I try and split the non-fiction with the fiction these days. Left to my own devices I'd prob be 80% + fiction
2. digital or physical copies?
3. in4review of twist of the wrist. Watched the chezeball movie they made with Keith Code. 3a, if its digital hook a brother up?
brain go brrrrrr
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

Actually got physical copies of these books. And that's also what I meant by my breakdown of non-fiction and fiction. I rarely buy digital copies. I'll borrow stuff digitally - dat Overdrive doe - and buy something I like or feel compelled to have a physical copy of.
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am My hold for the Subtle art of Not giving a Fuck came through, reading that. So far its good, so far it sounds a lot like minimalism...
Interesting, I didn’t get that from it. But could see where you picked that up.

I finished Hillary Clinton’s What Happened

It wasn’t what I was expecting. I was hoping for a lot more insight on her opinions, interactions, and experience with Trump, specifically. But in reality, that was naive. She basically kept her distance as much as possible and only directly interacted when necessary.

It was a lot of her family history and still pushing her agenda but she did do a lot of admitting what she did wrong. And additionally admitted “I still don’t know how to do it right/fix it/etc.” I felt like the whole objective behind the book was to make her seem more human.

A lot of it sounded a bit like “poor pitiful me.” But I did appreciate some of the equal pay for genders, females are on a rise, girl power thoughts she included. I’m not even a very strong feminist but she has my support in those arguments.

Maybe 3/7 read.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

On the subject of motorcycle books. I found this one to be useful. I’ll bring it to Austin this weekend.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Sno wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:55 am My hold for the Subtle art of Not giving a Fuck came through, reading that. So far its good, so far it sounds a lot like minimalism...

Minimalism is about a lot more than clutter and design IMHO. In fact, the minimalists themselves say that it looks different to everyone. The take home message is 'clear out the shit to make room for the important things'. This applies to both mental clutter and actual stuff as well as time. So that book was for sure a guide to helping oneself clear them mental clutter to GAF about the things that matter in life. IMHO, of course.

RE: what happened. Good review, don't need to read. The Clintons are terrible people for the most part, but perhaps no worse than many politicians. I simply cannot bring myself to GAF about the elections and politics at this point. Its so polarized and angry and unconstructive i literally cant even.
brain go brrrrrr
Sno
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Fiiiiiiiiiiiiat

Big Brain Bradley wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:41 pm
Sno wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Minimalism is about a lot more than clutter and design IMHO. In fact, the minimalists themselves say that it looks different to everyone. The take home message is 'clear out the shit to make room for the important things'. This applies to both mental clutter and actual stuff as well as time. So that book was for sure a guide to helping oneself clear them mental clutter to GAF about the things that matter in life. IMHO, of course.

RE: what happened. Good review, don't need to read. The Clintons are terrible people for the most part, but perhaps no worse than many politicians. I simply cannot bring myself to GAF about the elections and politics at this point. Its so polarized and angry and unconstructive i literally cant even.
Re: What Happened. I struggled even when she says something along the lines of “losing the election was my fault and my fault alone.” Within the first few sentences. I have a hard time not hearing “I’m saying this to get support.” She still sounded purely politician to me throughout the entire book. So, agreed.

I also listened to it via audiobook which is in her voice. So I think that has a lot to do with me being able to trust what she was saying/writing. I think had I read it instead of listened, I would have absorbed a bit more of her theories instead of judging her tone. I struggle with her tone because it reminds me of my mother.

Re: Subtle Art. I took away more “here’s how to stop caring” over “clear it out because...” But yes. Definitely a book that will apply to you in how you chose to apply it. I struggle horribly with caring too much about everything. Like, everything. It was helpful for me to read it from the starting point of learning how to clear it all out first. I think I will reread in 12 months or so and see if I can pick up on different concepts after I work a bit on not caring to begin with.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:58 pm At the risk of being sucked into your wedding planner decorative vortex, that is kind of cute.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

Sno wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm I struggle horribly with caring too much about everything. Like, everything. It was helpful for me to read it from the starting point of learning how to clear it all out first.
I wish the wifey would read this then. This is the reason there's shit like a 5' tall X 3.5' wide stuffed gnome in my fucking attic.
Just because you love gnomes, and someone had this thing sitting in their garage open to see from the road for over a year, you asked if you could have it, they said SURE..... Doesn't mean you should take it.
Now it's Barrett's problem and takes up space in my attic.
stripethree
Chief Patty Officer
Chief Patty Officer

4zilch wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:33 pm On the subject of motorcycle books. I found this one to be useful. I’ll bring it to Austin this weekend.
I should probably read this several times. And ride more. But not at the same time.
Acid666

This is what I'm reading. Lots of info. Trying to learn a few things and be able to break down courses better for my own fancy learnin.

goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Acid666 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:50 pm
Sno wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:07 pm I struggle horribly with caring too much about everything. Like, everything. It was helpful for me to read it from the starting point of learning how to clear it all out first.
I wish the wifey would read this then. This is the reason there's shit like a 5' tall X 3.5' wide stuffed gnome in my fucking attic.
Just because you love gnomes, and someone had this thing sitting in their garage open to see from the road for over a year, you asked if you could have it, they said SURE..... Doesn't mean you should take it.
Now it's Barrett's problem and takes up space in my attic.
i have a couple ebooks on minimalism if you want....
brain go brrrrrr
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Acid666 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm This is what I'm reading. Lots of info. Trying to learn a few things and be able to break down courses better for my own fancy learnin.

If you want to go :fullretard: you can actually build and test whatever you want on a PC:

https://www.lfs.net/tracks/AU

Acid666

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm
Acid666 wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:15 pm This is what I'm reading. Lots of info. Trying to learn a few things and be able to break down courses better for my own fancy learnin.

If you want to go :fullretard: you can actually build and test whatever you want on a PC:

Bookmarked. Will look at this when I get home. I need out on the details of this stuff.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

troyguitar wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm

:mindblown: :mindblown:
brain go brrrrrr
wap

Picked up Treasure Island the other day. It was one of 2 books that I started when I was a kid but never finished because I was too young.

Really enjoying it so far.
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Listened to some Audiobooks on my drive to Austin.

Made it through Fahrenheit 451 and 1/2 way through Brave New World.
Enjoyed the former, and enjoying the latter thus far.
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
goIftdibrad
Chief Master Soft Brain
Chief Master Soft Brain

Melon wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am Listened to some Audiobooks on my drive to Austin.

Made it through Fahrenheit 451 and 1/2 way through Brave New World.
Enjoyed the former, and enjoying the latter thus far.

nice!

I started Origins and my hold for Artemis came through. I got to gets to readin.
brain go brrrrrr