Car Talk 1: Passengers matter

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I still think the green 2.0 civic is awesome.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote:I still think the green 2.0 civic is awesome.
2.0 is gay, might as well go turbo Manuel for some sign of life
troyguitar

Fuck turbros.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

That or blue. Yeah, for whatever stupid non- :stig: reason I'm more interested in the NA 2.0 motor. Revs nicely from what I can tell and has 158 HP so it's not a total dog. :iono:

And here I go again pondering Civic ownership. And then I'll go down the road of fuck that my GTI is more fun and better just keep that. Then I'll drive it home and hate every second of the drive and consider the STI to have more fun. And get :notsure: when I consider that I'll be paying $30k out of pocket plus additional $35/mo in insurance and double my fuel cost for a car to drive me 3 miles to work every day in gridlock and land of stop signs every 500 ft.

:rage:

My latest thoughts from deep in the :eeyore: factory that is my brain? I'll be buying a car notorious for turbo lag and heat soak to cure my rage on heat soak and power loss that is my GTI and expose said car to solely being driven in conditions where it'll heat soak and lag.
troyguitar

The green civic looks awesome and should have a more lively chassis than the GTI. Dat 2.2 turns lock to lock and fun angular styling. :iono:

It's also something like 700 lbs lighter than an STI.
Last edited by troyguitar on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

maxtdi wrote:
Detroit wrote: It's about striking a balance...which is hard to find.
Impossible :( which is why we all :plac:
I dunno, I think I cracked the code for me personally.

Lease cheap ZFG mobiles and have something reasonably priced that you really like on the side to fuck with.

The ZFG lease facilitates just enough :plac: to keep you going without losing a ton of money.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:The green civic looks awesome and should have a more lively chassis than the GTI. Dat 2.2 turns lock to lock and fun angular styling. :iono:
Other than the awesome green color, the new Civic is fucking hideous.

I'm sure it's quite a bit of fun to drive, doe.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
That or blue. Yeah, for whatever stupid non- :stig: reason I'm more interested in the NA 2.0 motor. Revs nicely from what I can tell and has 158 HP so it's not a total dog. :iono:

And here I go again pondering Civic ownership. And then I'll go down the road of fuck that my GTI is more fun and better just keep that. Then I'll drive it home and hate every second of the drive and consider the STI to have more fun. And get :notsure: when I consider that I'll be paying $30k out of pocket plus additional $35/mo in insurance and double my fuel cost for a car to drive me 3 miles to work every day in gridlock and land of stop signs every 500 ft.

My latest thoughts from deep in the :eeyore: factory that is my brain? I'll be buying a car notorious for turbo lag and heat soak to cure my rage on heat soak and power loss that is my GTI and expose said car to solely being driven in conditions where it'll heat soak and lag.
:notsure: :lolol: :dat:
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:The green civic looks awesome and should have a more lively chassis than the GTI. Dat 2.2 turns lock to lock and fun angular styling. :iono:

It's also something like 700 lbs lighter than an STI.
STI is super responsive doe.

I doubt the civic is more lively than a GTI dude. You're on low rolling resistance eco green tars and comfort suspension for fat lazy 'Muricans. Mod it and it should be good. Supposedly the Mazda 3i still drives sportier. Which is kind of lame.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: That or blue. Yeah, for whatever stupid non- :stig: reason I'm more interested in the NA 2.0 motor. Revs nicely from what I can tell and has 158 HP so it's not a total dog. :iono:

:notsure: :lolol: :dat:
This is the real problem I've been battling in my head for the last 2 days. On the test drive, the STI throttle was great, very responsive, and car felt powerful with a smooth buildup and building drama from turbo and all that fun shit.

But that day was rather cold and I had AC on for defrost but it doesn't compare to a 90 degree 70% humidity typical Philly summer day from hell in stop and go 0-30-0.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: :notsure: :lolol: :dat:
This is the real problem I've been battling in my head for the last 2 days. On the test drive, the STI throttle was great, very responsive, and car felt powerful with a smooth buildup and building drama from turbo and all that fun shit.

But that day was rather cold and I had AC on for defrost but it doesn't compare to a 90 degree 70% humidity typical Philly summer day from hell in stop and go 0-30-0.
No turbro car will do well in that environment.

You need some Ellis in your lyfe.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
Other than the awesome green color, the new Civic is fucking hideous.

I'm sure it's quite a bit of fun to drive, doe.
I like that it actually looks like something. It's one of my favorite new cars in the looks department. Green coupe is fucking SHARP for a $19k new appliance.

I also like the new prius in bright colors :doe: so what do I know. I'd rather have a car that looks unique than one that looks like everything else on the road. Old Volt looked cool, new one looks like a cruze which looks like an impalibu which looks like a sonic which looks like an elantra and half the other new shit on the road.
Johnny_P

Which is why I :wub: the Miata, because it's punchy with the NA motor, it's compact, short gearing, etc. No turbo lag, no heat soak problem, no nothing just drive the damn thing and have fun with RWD and short gearing.

But no bike carrying ability whatsoever, and no ability to carry the dog and GF together. That RF hard top thing could be interesting but it doesn't solve either of those.

So then get the BRZ right? That's the logical next answer. And then you consider the engine in the BRZ is a turd.
ChrisoftheNorth

I'm legit :disappoint: in the new Cruze. I liked it at first, but the more I see them, I think it looks like a last gen Elantra.

I like the Mazda 3. Simple, unique shape, appealing front and rear. The Civic and Prius are just busy and hideous.

But, to each their own.
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:Which is why I :wub: the Miata, because it's punchy with the NA motor, it's compact, short gearing, etc. No turbo lag, no heat soak problem, no nothing just drive the damn thing and have fun with RWD and short gearing.

But no bike carrying ability whatsoever, and no ability to carry the dog and GF together. That RF hard top thing could be interesting but it doesn't solve either of those.

So then get the BRZ right? That's the logical next answer. And then you consider the engine in the BRZ is a turd.
Is the engine in the BRZ that much worse than the Miata? Miata's all about gearing. Throw some short final drive in the BRZ and have your :lolol:
Davestr
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 17 M2 14 M235

I like alot of posts here. Where is damn like button LOL :)
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:I'm legit :disappoint: in the new Cruze. I liked it at first, but the more I see them, I think it looks like a last gen Elantra.

I like the Mazda 3. Simple, unique shape, appealing front and rear. The Civic and Prius are just busy and hideous.

But, to each their own.
Agreed on the Hyundai comment
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:I'm legit :disappoint: in the new Cruze. I liked it at first, but the more I see them, I think it looks like a last gen Elantra.

But, to each their own.
It's not unique. Every mazda except the miata looks the same, plus a lot of other stuff looks pretty similar these days.

Nothing looks like the prius, not even other toyota products. Likewise with the civic though that could change.

I don't like "restrained" styling, that's another word for boring. Cool stuff is cool.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote:Which is why I :wub: the Miata, because it's punchy with the NA motor, it's compact, short gearing, etc. No turbo lag, no heat soak problem, no nothing just drive the damn thing and have fun with RWD and short gearing.

Is the engine in the BRZ that much worse than the Miata? Miata's all about gearing. Throw some short final drive in the BRZ and have your :lolol:
It's not terrible. Maybe BRZ actually is the answer. It's NA, compact, sporty, can fit dog and bike.

Kids car. Don't think I care. WRX is technically the better buy, it's basically same price (new) and way more powerful while being just as fun and better resale. WRX would be horrific for the city, totally NGH.

STI is cooler and I want it.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote:

But, to each their own.
It's not unique. Every mazda except the miata looks the same, plus a lot of other stuff looks pretty similar these days.

Nothing looks like the prius, not even other toyota products. Likewise with the civic though that could change.

I don't like "restrained" styling, that's another word for boring. Cool stuff is cool.
Thankfully.
:gag:

Mazda's are unique to Mazda, and I like that. Maybe too much uniformity across the models, but overall :notbad:
ChrisoftheNorth

Johnny_P wrote:
Detroit wrote: Is the engine in the BRZ that much worse than the Miata? Miata's all about gearing. Throw some short final drive in the BRZ and have your :lolol:
It's not terrible. Maybe BRZ actually is the answer. It's NA, compact, sporty, can fit dog and bike.

Kids car. Don't think I care. WRX is technically the better buy, it's basically same price (new) and way more powerful while being just as fun and better resale. WRX would be horrific for the city, totally NGH.

If going WRX, just do STI.

I think there's an argument that could be made for the BRZ, doe.
Johnny_P

troyguitar wrote:

But, to each their own.

I like the 3 hatch. Looks like it was designed by Alfa Romeo.
Johnny_P

Detroit wrote:
Johnny_P wrote: It's not terrible. Maybe BRZ actually is the answer. It's NA, compact, sporty, can fit dog and bike.

If going WRX, just do STI.

I think there's an argument that could be made for the BRZ, doe.
Oh yeah STI IMO is totally worth the added price over the WRX. If for nothing other than not having to deal with that new untested engine.

BRZ vs STI doe... $36,900 new STI vs $23k used BRZ....
ChrisoftheNorth

I'd do BRZ in your position.
troyguitar

$24k new FRS > $23k used BRZ.