Barnes' on the Open Ocean

Share the juicy deets of your worldly travels, and discuss your pipedreams for future trips.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:45 pm I don't know why anyone lies on the internet, but most people do. That :dill: is :mindblown: unbelievable :doe:

Not Rome, but I've looked at Paris CDG and I cannot find flights alone for under $2400 (for 2 people) in December - they're $4000+ in Summer. No :alpo: I guess?

Also: You spend $100 per person per dinner with work bros... You spend less than that with your wife? :wtf:
:wtf:
Did you even look at the packages I posted, or click the link? And you still don't believe me?

Here's a bunch to France on the same site, and they all include airfare from a major city (likely NYC) so you're on your own to get there, but still...:

Independent Vacations
Package Name Description Season Category Land Only Air & Land
6 Day Paris Vacation
4 Paris Mar - Oct '17 Independent $639*
6 Day Paris Value Vacation
4 Paris Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $679*
8 Day Amsterdam & Paris
3 Amsterdam, 3 Paris Apr - Oct '17 Independent $1119*
8 Day London & Paris by Rail
3 London, 3 Paris Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $599 $1029*
8 Day London, Paris & Rome
2 London, 2 Paris, 2 Rome Mar - Oct '17 Independent $1189*
8 Day Paris & Amsterdam by Rail
3 Paris, 3 Amsterdam Mar - Oct '17 Independent $579 $1259*
8 Day Paris & Barcelona
3 Paris, 3 Barcelona Mar - Oct '17 Independent $999*
8 Day Paris & London
3 Paris, 3 London Mar - Oct '17 Independent $1049*
8 Day Paris & London
3 Paris, 3 London Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $1009*
8 Day Paris & London by Rail
3 Paris, 3 London Mar - Oct '17 Independent $509 $1139*
8 Day Paris & Rome
3 Paris, 3 Rome Mar - Oct '17 Independent $1029*
8 Day Paris Vacation
6 Paris Mar - Oct '17 Independent $909*
8 Day Paris Value Vacation
6 Paris Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $859*
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I posted that before I saw your other post. :sad:

Before that I was only looking at flights. LEX -> CDG is $2400 for 2 at a minimum last I looked. So yes, somehow if you are super :scrooge: with one of these packages AND live in a major city you can possibly do a week for $3k.

I still don't understand how you're eating at fancy italian places for a week and going to all of the museums for under $1k, but maybe they're cheaper than 'murican places? Even a random BS museum here is $50 a person. Dinner at Applebee's with a bottle of wine, tax, and tip is over $50. That's $200 a day assuming you do anything else at all. :iono:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 1:45 pm
Also: You spend $100 per person per dinner with work bros... You spend less than that with your wife? :wtf:
I don't spend $ on work dinners.

Most of our dinners in Italy were <$80 total including wine or beer and sometimes dessert. You don't need to spend :waxer: $$ to eat well, and remember, the dollar has been stronger against the Euro, or at least it was in December. I think the place where we spent the most on food was Norway. Besides being an expensive country, one night we went full :troywax: and had a :mindblown: dinner here: http://engebret-cafe.no/english_/ . Also had a $100 salmon pizza in Bergen, also including drinks and a shared dessert. :waxer:
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 2:59 pm I posted that before I saw your other post. :sad:

Before that I was only looking at flights. LEX -> CDG is $2400 for 2 at a minimum last I looked. So yes, somehow if you are super :scrooge: with one of these packages AND live in a major city you can possibly do a week for $3k.

I still don't understand how you're eating at fancy italian places for a week and going to all of the museums for under $1k, but maybe they're cheaper than 'murican places? Even a random BS museum here is $50 a person. Dinner at Applebee's with a bottle of wine, tax, and tip is over $50. That's $200 a day assuming you do anything else at all. :iono:
:word:
See my last post above. We definitely don't go to the fanciest places to eat. What gave you the idea that we did? You don't have to spend crazy dough, nor do you have to be super :scrooge: to eat well. IIRC, most museums were in the 7-15 Euro ranger per person so you're at least 100% high there. And we don't usually buy bottles of wine, we just share a half-carafe, which is enough for us.

Taking Rome as an example, let's say daily expenses are as follows:

Light lunch or snack $20
Dinner $65
A couple of museums $45
Public transportation $10
And a couple $ for souviners (this the the main thing we :scrooge: on: calendar, shot glass, etc)
~$145-ish/day = ~$1000/week.

Easy. :iono:
troyguitar

I don't know, I figured that you'd go to nicer places in Italy with your wife than you'd go to in chicago with a widget salesman... but maybe you really love those vendors more? :trollface:

7-15 euros for a real museum is :impressive:

The fucking Kentucky Horse Park here is like $40 a person. :wtf:
wap

A key here is that you can often get a city transportation/museum pass for various numbers of days. A lot of cities sell these. We bought a 3 day pass in Rome for ~$150 iirc, which included all public transportation and entrance to virtually all museums. These help bigly to keep costs under control.

Will you now please stop accusing me of lying when I post how much a Euro trip cost us?
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:16 pm I don't know, I figured that you'd go to nicer places in Italy with your wife than you'd go to in chicago with a widget salesman... but maybe you really love those vendors more? :trollface:

Let it go, motherfucker. We don't pick the places we get taken to. We go to nice places in Europe, but not :mindblown: ones. Maybe for 1 night, like that place in Oslo I posted above, but we certainly couldn't afford to do it 7 nights in a row.
troyguitar

wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:19 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:16 pm I don't know, I figured that you'd go to nicer places in Italy with your wife than you'd go to in chicago with a widget salesman... but maybe you really love those vendors more? :trollface:

Let it go, motherfucker. We don't pick the places we get taken to. We go to nice places in Europe, but not :mindblown: ones. Maybe for 1 night, like that place in Oslo I posted above, but we certainly couldn't afford to do it 7 nights in a row.
Usually people who get :waxer: stuff given to them develop a taste for it and look down on everything else. Combined with the fact that you claim fast food is inedible, I assumed you were one of those people.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm
wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Usually people who get :waxer: stuff given to them develop a taste for it and look down on everything else. Combined with the fact that you claim fast food is inedible, I assumed you were one of those people.
You don't know me, brah. I'm also the one who talks about shopping at Aldi, only seeing movies for $5 on the cheap nights, drive my cars for 10= years, etc.

My whole point here is that you CAN visit Paris for less than the :troywax: budget that you think is required. I've offered many times to share tips but you seem to prefer to call me a liar instead of listening to me. I hope the link I posted will help you realize your dream of visiting the City of Lights before you're too old to enjoy it. And that's just one resource. We've gotten deals to Europe through United Vacations, Travelzoo, etc. :like:
troyguitar

wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:29 pm

You don't know me, brah. I'm also the one who talks about shopping at Aldi, only seeing movies for $5 on the cheap nights, drive my cars for 10= years, etc.

My whole point here is that you CAN visit Paris for less than the :troywax: budget that you think is required. I've offered many times to share tips but you seem to prefer to call me a liar instead of listening to me. I hope the link I posted will help you realize your dream of visiting the City of Lights before you're too old to enjoy it. And that's just one resource. We've gotten deals to Europe through United Vacations, Travelzoo, etc. :like:
Well we want 2-3 weeks with nice weather and without having to decide what we do based on cost for ONE time in our damn lives, so the budget must indeed be higher to the tune of nearly 5 figures - BUT your more detailed budget and links are absolutely helpful. :iono: It's still a fuckload of money even playing :scrooge: and going when weather is miserable.
wap

troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm
wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:36 pm

Well we want 2-3 weeks with nice weather and without having to decide what we do based on cost for ONE time in our damn lives, so the budget must indeed be higher to the tune of nearly 5 figures - BUT your more detailed budget and links are absolutely helpful. :iono: It's still a fuckload of money even playing :scrooge: and going when weather is miserable.
That would be epic. Hope you can pull it off.

Glad my budget breakdown and links were helpful. I'm happy to help you with hotel and restaurant and museum suggestions too, if you want. FWIW, Paris also sells a city pass, which really helps save monies. Yea the weather is definitely a tradeoff but Italy isn't THAT cold at that time of year, and being from Chicago chilly autumn weather is :whocares: for us. Iceland in October was pretty cold and windy :doe: , as was Germany in December!

I'd still like to hear you say (see you write) that you no longer think I'm lying :doe: :trollface:
wap

From the same website, check out these :dill: 's , including airfare, hotel, car rental. Might be more up your alley? :notbad: pricing..

France Flight, Hotel & Car Rental Packages
7 Day Southern France Fly & Drive
5 Nice Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $329 $849*
9 Day Loire Valley & Normandy Fly & Drive with Paris
3 Loire Valley, 2 Normandy, 2 Paris Mar - Oct '17 Independent $559 $929*
3 Loire Valley, 2 Normandy, 2 Paris Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $499 $919*
troyguitar

wap wrote:From the same website, check out these :dill: 's , including airfare, hotel, car rental. Might be more up your alley? :notbad: pricing..

France Flight, Hotel & Car Rental Packages
7 Day Southern France Fly & Drive
5 Nice Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $329 $849*
3 Loire Valley, 2 Normandy, 2 Paris Mar - Oct '17 Independent $559 $929*
3 Loire Valley, 2 Normandy, 2 Paris Oct '17 - Mar '18 Independent $499 $919*
Yeah I started looking at some of those and a few are even reasonable during nice weather. No clue how they are so much cheaper all-inclusive than a pair of only airline tickets straight from Delta or whomever... it doesn't make any sense.

Besides budget the obvious difficulty is in choosing exactly where to go. When everywhere is interesting and you've never been anywhere, it's challenging to pick only a tiny subset of places and then only a tiny subset of the possible activities there. Part of my reason for wanting to go there for more than a few days is to attempt to determine whether I want to dedicate the rest of my life to making enough money to be able to move there permanently, DaveGoose style.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

ITT
:mahtroy: learns the importance of listening
:wap: says motherfucker
Barnes still isn't on a cruise.

:impressive:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

ITT

:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
wap

razr390 wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 pm ITT

:lolol:
:bravo:
Caspian
сибирский
Drives: Horse and wagon

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 am
Big Brain Bradley wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:29 am Cruises can be fun, id suggest trying to go with friends.
We may have already changed our minds. Also most of our friends are broke and couldnt afford a cruise on this short of notice.

Its also a sort of late honeymoon. So we are still looking at other trip options.
Tell em to enlist in the armed forces bruh so they can get paid monies for protecting freedumbs. The more Arabs they kill the higher the $ bonus they get.

Also, don't forget to thank tax payers for your cruise vacation. ;)
:themoreyouknow:
Barnes93cb
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Caspian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:10 am

We may have already changed our minds. Also most of our friends are broke and couldnt afford a cruise on this short of notice.

Its also a sort of late honeymoon. So we are still looking at other trip options.
Tell em to enlist in the armed forces bruh so they can get paid monies for protecting freedumbs. The more Arabs they kill the higher the $ bonus they get.

Welcome to the forum brub. Most of my friend and I are in the armed forces. Also the more brown people we kill only fills us with red, white, and blue. No extra money. If you would like a proper education on how the military works just let me know.

I thank the taxpayers for mild alcoholism and subpar healthcare.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:56 pm
troyguitar wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:45 pm

Glad my budget breakdown and links were helpful. I'm happy to help you with hotel and restaurant and museum suggestions too, if you want. FWIW, Paris also sells a city pass, which really helps save monies. Yea the weather is definitely a tradeoff but Italy isn't THAT cold at that time of year, and being from Chicago chilly autumn weather is :whocares: for us. Iceland in October was pretty cold and windy :doe: , as was Germany in December!

I'd still like to hear you say (see you write) that you no longer think I'm lying :doe: :trollface:
Goddammit Ron you're a lying motherfucker.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

You have have illustrated some solid dills doe.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Caspian
сибирский

Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am
Caspian wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:36 pm

Welcome to the forum brub. Most of my friend and I are in the armed forces. Also the more brown people we kill only fills us with red, white, and blue. No extra money. If you would like a proper education on how the military works just let me know.

LOL at proper education on how the military works. :yeahok:

wap

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:12 pm
wap wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Goddammit Ron you're a lying motherfucker.
:lolol: :jackass:
Barnes93cb
Drives: Turbro Go Kart/ Yamaha Bolt

Caspian wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:49 pm
Barnes93cb wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:22 am

Thank you for the informational post. I would have never known any of that information from my high school history classes or any non fiction pol/ mil books from the last 30 years. I am also appreciative that you quoted an individual who thought so highly of his fellow humans to equate is to animals. Was this an attempt to belittle me, to anger me, or just to feel whitty?

You may want to get past your ego and allow someone to educate you. Not all of what the military does is kill people. Not everyone is unintelligent. Many of us hold some form of higher education. MOST of us are well aware of what we are doing. I have dedicated my career to saving lives and minimizing threats to both civilians and military persons worldwide.
Caspian
сибирский

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you for the informational post. I would have never known any of that information from my high school history classes or any non fiction pol/ mil books from the last 30 years. I am also appreciative that you quoted an individual who thought so highly of his fellow humans to equate is to animals. Was this an attempt to belittle me, to anger me, or just to feel whitty?

You may want to get past your ego and allow someone to educate you. Not all of what the military does is kill people. Not everyone is unintelligent. Many of us hold some form of higher education. MOST of us are well aware of what we are doing. I have dedicated my career to saving lives and minimizing threats to both civilians and military persons worldwide.
Please define "higher education". Is that just like, heavier indoctrination? Cause I sure don't see US armed forces advocating for any new revised system outside of this fabricated construct of slavery via usury and taxation.
wap

Barnes93cb wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:30 am

Thank you, Barnsey. :wub: