FS: 1990 Harry Havnoonian Road Bike

Wheel and deal your goods to the populace of DFD.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Up for sale is a truly one of a kind road bike. It was hand made by Harry Havnoonian back in 1990 when he was still building bikes out of South Philly. The frameset uses high quality Reynolds 653 tubes and is brazed. With a pump peg and chain holder on the rear stay. Signature Havnoonian reversed rear brake caliper. This thing stands out in a crowd and always gets multiple compliments due to its strange rear brake, gorgeous thin tubes, shiny chrome parts, and very good condition.

Shifting is handled by a vintage Suntour Superbe Pro 7-speed indexed groupset which is extremely rare and in near perfect condition. This was the premiere groupset of its time, pacing both Campagnolo Record and Shimano Dura Ace. Down tube shifters make a very satisfying click as you cycle through the gears, and it shifts crisply and cleanly on the rear and front. Loose ball cup and cone bottom bracket is a dream to work on and adjust. Hubs are cup and cone Superbe Pro in excellent shape laced to Mavic MA40 ceramic rims. These are very quiet hubs that spin forever. The rims show some damage to the ceramic which is typical for its age. When I bought it I overhauled the bottom bracket, hubs, and freewheel. All were in excellent condition, and it should be good to give you years of trouble free use. Brakes are the coveted hidden spring Superbe Pro models, and the only blemish on the groupset is a missing aero bolt cover on the rear caliper. Brake pads will be replaced with new Shimano-style holders and pads.

I love this bike but sadly it must go as I have no real use for it anymore. I bought it as a city beater but I just can't bring myself to subject it to that. It rides nicer than my carbon fiber road bike, soaking up road buzz and has a great springy feel. It's not the lightest bike in the world, and I'd estimate it's 24-25 lbs, but you really don't notice it after a bit of riding. What you will notice is the rather tall gearing, a product of the earlier years of cycling. But that makes this thing a rocket on the downhills and flats.

Price is $500 but negotiable for friends. This was $1500 new in 1990. Price includes bottom bracket wrench and spanner, SR Sakae original quill stem, caged pedals with blue straps (not the LOOKs) and paint matched frame pump.

More pics later today.
Last edited by Johnny_P on Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm Up for sale is a truly one of a kind road bike. It was hand made by Harry Havnoonian back in 1990 when he was still building bikes out of South Philly. The frameset uses high quality Reynolds 653 tubes and is brazed. With a pump peg and chain holder on the rear stay. Signature Havnoonian reversed rear brake caliper. This thing stands out in a crowd and always gets multiple compliments due to its strange rear brake, gorgeous thin tubes, shiny chrome parts, and very good condition.

Shifting is handled by a vintage Suntour Superbe Pro 7-speed indexed groupset which is extremely rare and in near perfect condition. This was the premiere groupset of its time, pacing both Campagnolo Record and Shimano Dura Ace. Down tube shifters make a very satisfying click as you cycle through the gears, and it shifts crisply and cleanly on the rear and front. Loose ball cup and cone bottom bracket is a dream to work on and adjust. Hubs are cup and cone Superbe Pro in excellent shape laced to Mavic MA40 ceramic rims. These are very quiet hubs that spin forever. The rims show some damage to the ceramic which is typical for its age. When I bought it I overhauled the bottom bracket, hubs, and freewheel. All were in excellent condition, and it should be good to give you years of trouble free use. Brakes are the coveted hidden spring Superbe Pro models, and the only blemish on the groupset is a missing aero bolt cover on the rear caliper. Brake pads will be replaced with new Shimano-style holders and pads.

I love this bike but sadly it must go as I have no real use for it anymore. I bought it as a city beater but I just can't bring myself to subject it to that. It rides nicer than my carbon fiber road bike, soaking up road buzz and has a great springy feel. It's not the lightest bike in the world, and I'd estimate it's 24-25 lbs, but you really don't notice it after a bit of riding. What you will notice is the rather tall gearing, a product of the earlier years of cycling. But that makes this thing a rocket on the downhills and flats.

Price is $500 but negotiable for friends. This was $1500 new in 1990. Price includes bottom bracket wrench and spanner, SR Sakae original quill stem, caged pedals with blue straps (not the LOOKs) and paint matched frame pump.

More pics later today.
Interested. I'm 5'11", normal torso/leg distribution. Is this nasty bitch going to fit me?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:44 pm Up for sale is a truly one of a kind road bike. It was hand made by Harry Havnoonian back in 1990 when he was still building bikes out of South Philly. The frameset uses high quality Reynolds 653 tubes and is brazed. With a pump peg and chain holder on the rear stay. Signature Havnoonian reversed rear brake caliper. This thing stands out in a crowd and always gets multiple compliments due to its strange rear brake, gorgeous thin tubes, shiny chrome parts, and very good condition.

More pics later today.
Interested. I'm 5'11", normal torso/leg distribution. Is this nasty bitch going to fit me?
Gonna cost a bit to ship it to you, but yeah I think you'd fit.

I'm 6'2" and it's an excellent fit with the riser stem I put on there. I either have a shorter torso or shorter arms than typical for my height. Dude I bought it from was about 5'10" ish and it was custom made for him.

I think it's sized like a 57mm. I can take some measurements if you want.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:01 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:55 pm

Gonna cost a bit to ship it to you, but yeah I think you'd fit.

I'm 6'2" and it's an excellent fit with the riser stem I put on there. I either have a shorter torso or shorter arms than typical for my height. Dude I bought it from was about 5'10" ish and it was custom made for him.

I think it's sized like a 57mm. I can take some measurements if you want.
Will PM you.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Johnny_P

Hidden spring brake calipers.

Down tube shifters and HH fork crown.

Paint damage on down tube near the crank. Don’t really see it unless you flip the bike over.

Havnoonian signature backwards rear brake. Unfortunately missing the aero bolt cap.

HH cast bottom bracket junction. All brazed construction and brazing back gouged for stupid clean lines. BB is a Suntour Superbe Pro 109mm JIS square taper. Overhauled 2 years ago and low miles since then.

Drivetrain is flawless but the gearing is tall. Hills are no cake walk on this! But it’s fast on flats and downhills.

Some paint damage on the drive side seat stay.

Typical of ceramic rims the coating has scraped off in some spots.
Johnny_P

Sail pending
Johnny_P

SOLD!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

The real question is whether or not Desert is gonna strap a blower to this once it gets shipped to him.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm The real question is whether or not Desert is gonna strap a blower to this once it gets shipped to him.
You guys are fucking hilarious. You should really consider the Improv instead of that job at NG.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:27 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:21 pm The real question is whether or not Desert is gonna strap a blower to this once it gets shipped to him.
You guys are fucking hilarious. You should really consider the Improv instead of that job at NG.
:bow: I'll let you know when and where I'm performing out here so you can ride your sick new bicycle out to watch me.

Johnny_P

Bike rack on the Vette like @dgriff :jimp:
Johnny_P

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm

:bow: I'll let you know when and where I'm performing out here so you can ride your sick new bicycle out to watch me.

I would. Drunk.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:36 pm
Bike rack on the Vette like @dgriff :jimp:
:gag: :disgust:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:44 pm

:gag: :disgust:
:lolol:

Did Breh buy the Hairy Havoonian?
YUS
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm

YUS
Is this the first object actually sold via the DFD Glassy Eyeds?

:impressive:
I can now start peppering you fools with questions in the bike dork thread.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:26 pm

YUS

Maybe? BradFox got my Gates belt for the GTI for free.50 from these classifieds I think.
Johnny_P

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 pm

SPANDEX. Do it.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:45 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:30 pm

SPANDEX. Do it.
Yup, and a helmet.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Maybe? BradFox got my Gates belt for the GTI for free.50 from these classifieds I think.
That doesn't count, nor do my free dampers for his GTI. We're talking about people who are not so cheap that they will actually provide reasonable consideration for other's goods.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

SAWCE wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:33 pm

:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:56 pm

SPANDEX. Do it.
Yup, and a helmet.
:jimp:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Zombo thread. Kinda stumbled across this randomly...Harry (and I beleive his wife) owns and operates the go-to LBS in my neighborhood.