Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Welp, timing is a bitch. We're currently down to 1 vehicle, the CT, and it's a vehicle owned by my employer. My employment may be coming to an end, thus facing being without a vehicle at all. That's obviously not going to work since I live in the middle of nowhere.

I'm likely staying in the auto industry, unfortunately, which will mean deal opportunities on trucks in the future. Wife has a very promising lead on a job locally that would require some commuting, so the most logical opportunity is to look for the future 2nd vehicle now.

I want us to find something smallish, decent on gas, 4-door that can take 4 people with reasonable comfort, AWD (we get an assload of snow) and hopefully somewhat fun and unique. :manuel: would be :fuckyeah: since I haven't owned one in a while, but that might limit the search too far. Budget under $30k for something decent, under $20k for something older would be fine. I don't need zilspec or maxspec vehicles, I just want something that's been well maintained. I'll travel anywhere in the country for it, hence this thread calling for DFD assistance.

I believe our ideal vehicle is a Mini Clubman S All4. But those are pretty hard to come by it seems, especially with a :manuel: I know many have mentioned that the auto is better, so that may be worth testing, there just aren't any local to me. Wife's really on board with that idea though.

So along those lines, what else is out there? I know I'm paying a premium for something right now, but I got a premium for the JL, so it's a wash really. Ideally something that's lower on the demand scale to make me feel better about the cost.

Also thought about a Golf Alltrack. Wife wants a Crosstrek or Outback, but those just seem like last resorts for me.

I'm dead serious about this. This isn't tire kicking because we're facing high potential of being stranded. If the right car comes up, I'm buying it. Go DFD. LFG
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Instead of Clubman, check out the prior gen Countryman. I’d be hella interested in this one.
I was just talking with the better-half about this very car yesterday.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

I think you should find the right Clubman and just buy it. Ideally you guys would love it, but of you don't then you still have a car to drive and you'll know better what you actually want or need from a commuter.

Or full scrooge on a manual X3 from 10 years ago.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:07 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Instead of Clubman, check out the prior gen Countryman. I’d be hella interested in this one.
They're certainly on my list too, but being "SUVs" they seem to command a premium over the Clubmans.

This one is pretty perfect. I thought those of this generation were to be avoided like the plague?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:07 pm https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

Shit, the carfax is :impressive: on this thing with maintenance. This is insanely tempting for $13k. Any idea on rust issues?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 pm I think you should find the right Clubman and just buy it. Ideally you guys would love it, but of you don't then you still have a car to drive and you'll know better what you actually want or need from a commuter.

Or full scrooge on a manual X3 from 10 years ago.
:manuel: X3 has got to be insane :unicorn: spec.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

Golf Sportwagen S AWD
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm Golf Sportwagen S AWD
High on the list if I could find a clean one.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm Golf Sportwagen S AWD
High on the list if I could find a clean one.
Get the DSG IMO. :plaid: :scrooge: with a takeoff stock GTI turbro and an 87 octane t00n.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:25 pm
Detroit wrote: High on the list if I could find a clean one.
Get the DSG IMO. :plaid: :scrooge: with a takeoff stock GTI turbro and an 87 octane t00n.
I know, I should give up on :manuel: Just still have the wants for no real reason.

This thing will stay 100% stock. I'm done lighting money on fire with vehicles. I don't even want to be shopping right now, but the prospect of not having a vehicle at all makes me nervous.
troyguitar

Done lighting money on fire? Lease a Hyundai Tucson hybrid.
ChrisoftheNorth

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

This is also tempting. Private seller (which is rare these days), no sunroof to break, but still has heated seats. Long warranty left. Love the color too.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm Done lighting money on fire? Lease a Hyundai Tucson hybrid.
I'm not considering leasing because mileage requirements are unknown right now. We might be piling miles on this thing going around the state/country, so I'm leaning towards a purchase.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 pm Welp, timing is a bitch. We're currently down to 1 vehicle, the CT, and it's a vehicle owned by my employer. My employment may be coming to an end, thus facing being without a vehicle at all. That's obviously not going to work since I live in the middle of nowhere.

I'm likely staying in the auto industry, unfortunately, which will mean deal opportunities on trucks in the future. Wife has a very promising lead on a job locally that would require some commuting, so the most logical opportunity is to look for the future 2nd vehicle now.

I want us to find something smallish, decent on gas, 4-door that can take 4 people with reasonable comfort, AWD (we get an assload of snow) and hopefully somewhat fun and unique. :manuel: would be :fuckyeah: since I haven't owned one in a while, but that might limit the search too far. Budget under $30k for something decent, under $20k for something older would be fine. I don't need zilspec or maxspec vehicles, I just want something that's been well maintained. I'll travel anywhere in the country for it, hence this thread calling for DFD assistance.

I believe our ideal vehicle is a Mini Clubman S All4. But those are pretty hard to come by it seems, especially with a :manuel: I know many have mentioned that the auto is better, so that may be worth testing, there just aren't any local to me. Wife's really on board with that idea though.

So along those lines, what else is out there? I know I'm paying a premium for something right now, but I got a premium for the JL, so it's a wash really. Ideally something that's lower on the demand scale to make me feel better about the cost.

Also thought about a Golf Alltrack. Wife wants a Crosstrek or Outback, but those just seem like last resorts for me.

I'm dead serious about this. This isn't tire kicking because we're facing high potential of being stranded. If the right car comes up, I'm buying it. Go DFD. LFG
Would you be interested in my mini?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:59 pm Welp, timing is a bitch. We're currently down to 1 vehicle, the CT, and it's a vehicle owned by my employer. My employment may be coming to an end, thus facing being without a vehicle at all. That's obviously not going to work since I live in the middle of nowhere.

Finally. A car shopping thread with a point.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:35 pm

Would you be interested in my mini?
Possibly. It checks every box other than size...I'd really like something with 4 doors, we seem to be taking friends wine tasting on the weekend regularly, and it would be nice to not pile in the CT or force me to drive friend's vehicles.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:38 pm

It's a weird feeling, this is the first time in my life where I NEED to shop for a car. I don't like this feeling.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:44 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:38 pm

It's a weird feeling, this is the first time in my life where I NEED to shop for a car. I don't like this feeling.
Any interest in a quick summary of the situ leading to the demise of the CT lease?
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:44 pm
Any interest in a quick summary of the situ leading to the demise of the CT lease?
My current company has been eating my sanity slowly since I started 2 years ago. The recent merger has me doing things where mgmt is setting me up to be a scapegoat for bad decisions that I don't want to be on the receiving end of anymore. I'm in 2nd (of 3) round interviews with another company (my previous) where a friend plugged me in. Wife wants me to quit right now and take a break since we have the money and the house is cheap, but we won't have a car if I do. It's pretty much the major sticking point other than health insurance. But my mental health is as fragile as it's been in a long time, so fuck it. We can get by without insurance for a few months, we can't get by without transportation.
troyguitar

Detroit wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:32 pm Done lighting money on fire? Lease a Hyundai Tucson hybrid.
I'm not considering leasing because mileage requirements are unknown right now. We might be piling miles on this thing going around the state/country, so I'm leaning towards a purchase.
:sass:

Prius comes in AWD and can haul tons of crap/people.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:21 pm

Shit, the carfax is :impressive: on this thing with maintenance. This is insanely tempting for $13k. Any idea on rust issues?
Negative on the rust issues. It’s been a while but I don’t recall any major issues. I believe the CM’s got the updated motor in them too.
ChrisoftheNorth

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: I'm not considering leasing because mileage requirements are unknown right now. We might be piling miles on this thing going around the state/country, so I'm leaning towards a purchase.

If I didn't find them so damned hideous, I'd consider them. I just can't spend this kind of money on something I can't stand the sight of.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:56 pm
Detroit wrote: I'm not considering leasing because mileage requirements are unknown right now. We might be piling miles on this thing going around the state/country, so I'm leaning towards a purchase.

Your life stance has evolved considerably since the purple Corvette.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:50 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:45 pm

My current company has been eating my sanity slowly since I started 2 years ago. The recent merger has me doing things where mgmt is setting me up to be a scapegoat for bad decisions that I don't want to be on the receiving end of anymore. I'm in 2nd (of 3) round interviews with another company (my previous) where a friend plugged me in. Wife wants me to quit right now and take a break since we have the money and the house is cheap, but we won't have a car if I do. It's pretty much the major sticking point other than health insurance. But my mental health is as fragile as it's been in a long time, so fuck it. We can get by without insurance for a few months, we can't get by without transportation.
Does this mean I can get employee pricing on a C8Z?
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I may be buying soon myself.. I'd been wanting to off the Jeep, but the Carvana, Truecar, Shift, etc offers kept coming in :flaccid: Buddy of mine out here keeps sending me listings of used Jeeps he wants to buy.. Early JK models priced at $30k for dealerships. Told him I'd sell him mine for that much if he's serious about buying one. That was the price I had in mind for offing it to one of those companies. Plan would be to buy something like a lightly used Civic, or maybe GTI again for "cheap", pay off the little bit I owe on the Jeep, and then stash the rest into savings. Eliminate my monthly payment, lower my fuel costs, and cheaper insurance (hopefully).