Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:12 am How do you plan on fitting 3 car seats though? 3 across the back? It's a big vehicle, but I wouldn't think that would be possible in one. I had the very rare 3rd row option in mine. You're definitely not getting a car seat back there.
We have Clek car seats that are pretty narrow and fit 3 across in both vehicles. The 4R fits them easily, it’s a bit tighter in the Outback.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:12 am How do you plan on fitting 3 car seats though? 3 across the back? It's a big vehicle, but I wouldn't think that would be possible in one. I had the very rare 3rd row option in mine. You're definitely not getting a car seat back there.
4R is pretty wide isn't it? Obviously not fullsize truck but at least similar to the more popular mommy mobiles.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:11 am Oh, that's a good point. When I had my 4Runner, it didn't have active cruise control or anything. Looks like they do now. No lane keep assist, but ACC is the important one. They even have Carplay now. :notbad:

If you don't like tech stuff, yeah, get the 4Runner. There was something really enjoyable and how brash and truck like it was. Giant knobs for everything. Really simple.

Outback's touch screen has some really, really bad GUI design stuff going on. You have to go into a sub menu to change the heated seat level, even though there is a button for it on the screen :facepalm: It opens up another window where you have to press a totally different spot to adjust them. So dumb.
Lane keep assist can kiss my ass. :lol: Thankfully it can be turned off in the Subie and doesn't turn back on with an ignition cycle. ACC can fuck right off too, but there's pretty much no avoiding it in a new vehicle.
My beef with the Subaru is the front assist. My test drive was in a largely suburban area on some 45mph roads with shopping centers all over, which results in significant changes in speed between traffic and those turning. I was in the right lane for a portion of the drive, and twice I had the front assist kick on as someone was turning right ahead of me, even though there were multiple car lengths between me and the car ahead and my foot was hovering over the brake in case they didn't complete the turn quickly enough. Front assist also has to be turned back off every time the ignition cycles if it ends up being a huge annoyance.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:13 am
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 pm Dude. 4R gives you your balls back. You don't have to be like the rest of us. The aftermarket for this thing is really next level and it is literally a 300K mile rig with a teeny bit of love. DO NOT GET THE FUCKING SUBARU.
:lol: I lost those the second the twins were born. The aftermarket really isn’t a consideration, this being a lease, but it certainly helps project an image more amenable to my manly ego. We’ll see, I need to make a decision probably today.

The GTI gets picked up on Monday. :sad:
I know you WUB that GTI hard, but $21K is crazytown money for it and it is well sold.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:03 am

:lol: I lost those the second the twins were born. The aftermarket really isn’t a consideration, this being a lease, but it certainly helps project an image more amenable to my manly ego. We’ll see, I need to make a decision probably today.

I know you WUB that GTI hard, but $21K is crazytown money for it and it is well sold.
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 pm Dude. 4R gives you your balls back. You don't have to be like the rest of us. The aftermarket for this thing is really next level and it is literally a 300K mile rig with a teeny bit of love. DO NOT GET THE FUCKING SUBARU.

You're a smart dude so I'm sure you've done your homework here, but just curious... wouldn't buying a 4R be way cheaper in the long haul than leasing either vehicle? Isn't it like, buy 4R for $45K, drive 90K miles, sell for $39K?
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:29 pm

You're a smart dude so I'm sure you've done your homework here, but just curious... wouldn't buying a 4R be way cheaper in the long haul than leasing either vehicle? Isn't it like, buy 4R for $45K, drive 90K miles, sell for $39K?
Two comments here. No doubt a 4R will depreciate less. However this insane resale value may be a blip… and no one really knows what will happen 3-5 years from now. At least the lease remains consistent
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:36 pm

Two comments here. No doubt a 4R will depreciate less. However this insane resale value may be a blip… and no one really knows what will happen 3-5 years from now. At least the lease remains consistent
Resale has always been crazy for the 4R of you get the right trim.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I'm with you, but 4R is sort of an exception and always has been. You have to assume right now you're buying high and will sell low with any :plac: move, but the insane $21K for the Turbo Yaris will sort of negate that. If the lease is $400/month (probably low) that is almost $15K in depreciation in three years. I just can't imagine a 4R will drop that much unless it is bought with :dillerman: markup.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:50 pm

I'm with you, but 4R is sort of an exception and always has been. You have to assume right now you're buying high and will sell low with any :plac: move, but the insane $21K for the Turbo Yaris will sort of negate that. If the lease is $400/month (probably low) that is almost $15K in depreciation in three years. I just can't imagine a 4R will drop that much unless it is bought with :dillerman: markup.
45k msrp + 4K in taxes and fees and bs 49k…
34k trade in value in 3 years seems more than reasonable.

Current insane situation non withstanding
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

It totally would be if I was sure either would be sticking around long term, but I'm not. I'm not sure a 2 row anything will be a viable solution long-term. We'll have 3 kids out of daycare and into kindergarten over the next 4 years, freeing up a significant portion of our budget. We're likely going to move again around that same time period so hopefully garage constraints will no longer be an issue either. Leasing is never ideal, but for us in this case we're willing to lose a bit on the net worth side to take care of some more immediate needs and manage cash flow every month via a fixed payment and full warranty coverage.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:50 pm

I think the Bronco will eventually eat into 4R resale values, as well as whatever Jeep does to update the Wrangler and whatever the new 4R ends up being. This particular Venture edition with KDSS is $47,949. Add in 7% for taxes plus a $199 dealer fee and we're at $51,518. Selling it for $35k in 3 years would be $460/mo before you factor in interest expenses. I'm not a cash buyer in this case so that matters, and the difference in cost over time is basically zero, plus I get to put $21k in my pocket to take care of the HVAC system (~$11k) and this year's 529 plan contributions (the rest).
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:17 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:54 pm

I think the Bronco will eventually eat into 4R resale values, as well as whatever Jeep does to update the Wrangler and whatever the new 4R ends up being. This particular Venture edition with KDSS is $47,949. Add in 7% for taxes plus a $199 dealer fee and we're at $51,518. Selling it for $35k in 3 years would be $460/mo before you factor in interest expenses. I'm not a cash buyer in this case so that matters, and the difference in cost over time is basically zero, plus I get to put $21k in my pocket to take care of the HVAC system (~$11k) and this year's 529 plan contributions (the rest).
Good times.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 pm

It totally would be if I was sure either would be sticking around long term, but I'm not. I'm not sure a 2 row anything will be a viable solution long-term. We'll have 3 kids out of daycare and into kindergarten over the next 4 years, freeing up a significant portion of our budget. We're likely going to move again around that same time period so hopefully garage constraints will no longer be an issue either. Leasing is never ideal, but for us in this case we're willing to lose a bit on the net worth side to take care of some more immediate needs and manage cash flow every month via a fixed payment and full warranty coverage.
:word:

All of that makes sense. I imagine the ability to just park the car and toss them the keys at the end is :nice: as well... selling cars sucks.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:47 pm
coogles wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:09 pm

All of that makes sense. I imagine the ability to just park the car and toss them the keys at the end is :nice: as well... selling cars sucks.
It sure as shit can. Here's hoping the whole process with Carvana goes off smoothly. If I do lease the 4R and the resale does end up still being insane, I could always buy it out and then sell it. I know where you stand on the issue, but I still can't fucking decide. It's come down to making a chart scoring the two across a bunch of categories like I'm Doug DeMuro or something. And they're fucking tied. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:00 pm

It sure as shit can. Here's hoping the whole process with Carvana goes off smoothly. If I do lease the 4R and the resale does end up still being insane, I could always buy it out and then sell it. I know where you stand on the issue, but I still can't fucking decide. It's come down to making a chart scoring the two across a bunch of categories like I'm Doug DeMuro or something. And they're fucking tied. :lol:
I get it, I am an indecisive MFer, it's tough to lock in big decisions that impact your finances, happiness, day-to-day, etc.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:40 pm

I get it, I am an indecisive MFer, it's tough to lock in big decisions that impact your finances, happiness, day-to-day, etc.
You and me both dude.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If it's anything like my Corvette sale, the only thing you will be mad about is keeping your car nice and nobody giving a shit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm

If it's anything like my Corvette sale, the only thing you will be mad about is keeping your car nice and nobody giving a shit.

Vroom was stupid easy. Nobody even looked at the thing before I had a check.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:15 pm

They even took my truck with my plates on it. Which means I have to file for lost plates and get that approved before I can even cancel my reg and insurance. So I'm paying both those on a truck I no longer own until then.

:rage:
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:26 pm

They even took my truck with my plates on it. Which means I have to file for lost plates and get that approved before I can even cancel my reg and insurance. So I'm paying both those on a truck I no longer own until then.

Um, kind of your fault? Why didn't you take the plates off before they took it?

Vroom made a big deal reminding me to remove the plates before they took the JL. It was in every communication they sent.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:44 pm

Vroom made a big deal reminding me to remove the plates before they took the JL. It was in every communication they sent.
I was in NC. Vroom told me the driver was going to call and schedule a time to pick up, which I was going to schedule for when my dad was home. Instead I got a call from the drive that he picked the truck up and was on his way to auction.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

So yes half my fault, the rage was mostly because of NYs laws.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

NY is fucking garbage
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:04 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:53 pm

I was in NC. Vroom told me the driver was going to call and schedule a time to pick up, which I was going to schedule for when my dad was home. Instead I got a call from the drive that he picked the truck up and was on his way to auction.
Ahhhh...the driver.

Vroom gives drives zero information to the driver for pick-up. It was the only issue I had with the process. They gave me a window of a week, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize (was a NJ area code) on a Thursday that didn't leave a voicemail. Friday came and went, I called vroom and they said the driver attempted pickup on Friday and I wasn't there so they bailed and dropped "the ticket" whatever that is. I asked why they didn't call and they said they called on Thursday. :wat:
Only call I got on Thursday was the NJ number that didn't leave a voicemail.

So they said they'd find another driver and they did on the next Tuesday and that guy was chill. To avoid :bs: I asked him if I could bring the Jeep to him (he was 15in away) and he liked that. All he knew was he was taking "a vehicle to Manheim in Chicago", he had a bunch of cars, mine was the only one with a vroom paper in the window, my guess is he does runs of dealer auction cars to Chicago and vroom just taps into that. He gave me a bill of lading, I emailed it to vroom, and had a check the next day.

Vroom asked me what they could improve, the pick up and driver interaction could be improved big time.