Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

Can’t go wrong with either IMO. They’re both likable for very different reasons.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

MrH42 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:05 pm As a previous owner of a 4Runner and currently own an Outback... :howdy:

Depends on how much driving you're doing really. 4Runner gas mileage was next level bad. Commuting 66 miles a day in it, with traffic going from 0-80 mph up and down the whole way, it wasn't great.

However, if I wasn't driving as much? I would probably still have it.
Fuel economy is a major factor in the Outback's favor, although I don't drive that much. My "commute" starting Sep 1 is one trip per day to the kids' daycare, which is ~28 miles round trip, or 140 miles per week. That's in the range of $10/week of additional cost in fuel for the 4R at $4/gallon. I appreciate the input! :like:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

MrH42 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:05 pm As a previous owner of a 4Runner and currently own an Outback... :howdy:

Depends on how much driving you're doing really. 4Runner gas mileage was next level bad. Commuting 66 miles a day in it, with traffic going from 0-80 mph up and down the whole way, it wasn't great.

:gtfo: with your real-world experience. That shit is frowned upon around here.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:trollface:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:10 pm Can’t go wrong with either IMO. They’re both likable for very different reasons.
Agreed. I will love and hate different things about both of them. Regardless of which I go with, there will be times I wish I had the other.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:54 am Just accepted my Carvana offer - a quite ridiculous $21,105. It says they'll take a day or two to verify ownership, then off she goes. :pouroneout:

The Outback is supposed to be here on 8/10.
Sorry man... at least you're getting good money for the Turbo Yar.

@Rudy, are you getting a bike? :popcorn:
Id like to get one but I also like the utilitarian look of the roof racks. :gay:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:15 pm

:gtfo: with your real-world experience. That shit is frowned upon around here.
:science: :fax:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

I’d T4R all dayyyyyy.

But I’m the :fullretard: that does a daily commute of 160 miles in a fucking Gladiator.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:10 pm Can’t go wrong with either IMO. They’re both likable for very different reasons.
Agreed. I will love and hate different things about both of them. Regardless of which I go with, there will be times I wish I had the other.
I'd miss the comfort and driving assist features of the outback more than anything. The 4Runner is very much an old school truck in every sense.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

razr390 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:51 pm

Sorry man... at least you're getting good money for the Turbo Yar.

@Rudy, are you getting a bike? :popcorn:
Id like to get one but I also like the utilitarian look of the roof racks. :gay:
You want roof racks just for aesthetics? You'll be disappointed. They make noise and impact gas mileage noticeably, it's a stupid visual mod.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

MrH42 wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:52 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:17 pm

I'd miss the comfort and driving assist features of the outback more than anything. The 4Runner is very much an old school truck in every sense.
The driver assist features and general shoving of tech down my throat are big negatives for the Subaru in my eyes. The 4R has the safety sense stuff, but it seems to be much less of an integrated part of the driving experience. I also much prefer the smaller screen and traditional HVAC controls in the 4R.

The Outback wins on fuel economy, power, ride, comfort, and basically everything other than tech and the user interface that I actually need out of a car on daily basis. I would just rather open the garage door and see a 4Runner sitting there.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I am a big Toyota proponent... if you're ok with the MPG it is superior in every other way.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:16 pm

The driver assist features and general shoving of tech down my throat are big negatives for the Subaru in my eyes. The 4R has the safety sense stuff, but it seems to be much less of an integrated part of the driving experience. I also much prefer the smaller screen and traditional HVAC controls in the 4R.

The Outback wins on fuel economy, power, ride, comfort, and basically everything other than tech and the user interface that I actually need out of a car on daily basis. I would just rather open the garage door and see a 4Runner sitting there.
Go 4R.

I gotta say, a big reason we bought the Cucktrek over the Outback was the screen and UI. I like the physical buttons and controls in the Cucktrek, it's a big difference.

Don't spend hard earned money on something you don't want. And if the cost is about the same, it's a no brainer IMO. You're not piling miles on this thing, so efficiency is kind of :aintcare:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

At the end of the day, you are dropping forty thousand dollars on a car (I guess you're leasing but you get my point). It is a lot of fucking money. I would hate to see you do that and not love the thing at least a little bit. I think this last point matters more than anything else, assuming it can meet the family requirements.

Sure, it is going to drive like a truck, but it's :thisisfne: We drove cross country in a :jeep: , sure there are times you wish it was more car like, but it is liveable.

The Outback is a perfectly adequate vehicle, but you're a car guy and you will be :aintcare: about it always.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Also, you are one of the few around here who complains about modern tech as much or more than I do... I think you will dig the old school vibe of the 4R and would hate the tech/driving nannies in the Sube.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:30 pm Go 4R.

I gotta say, a big reason we bought the Cucktrek over the Outback was the screen and UI. I like the physical buttons and controls in the Cucktrek, it's a big difference.

Don't spend hard earned money on something you don't want. And if the cost is about the same, it's a no brainer IMO. You're not piling miles on this thing, so efficiency is kind of :aintcare:
Well, I don’t want either one, obviously. Neither would ever be under consideration without the need to fit 3 car seats. It’s more of which one I hate less.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm Also, you are one of the few around here who complains about modern tech as much or more than I do... I think you will dig the old school vibe of the 4R and would hate the tech/driving nannies in the Sube.
You’re 100% right. The old school feeling of the 4R was overwhelmingly my #1 positive takeaway from my one test drive.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

4R

/ :bread:
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

coogles wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:46 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:30 pm Go 4R.

Well, I don’t want either one, obviously. Neither would ever be under consideration without the need to fit 3 car seats. It’s more of which one I hate less.
Dude. 4R gives you your balls back. You don't have to be like the rest of us. The aftermarket for this thing is really next level and it is literally a 300K mile rig with a teeny bit of love. DO NOT GET THE FUCKING SUBARU.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

Isn't the 4runner the size of a Forester/Impreza/GTI inside?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 pm Isn't the 4runner the size of a Forester/Impreza/GTI inside?
The GTI has 57 cubic feet of space, the 4R 88, Forester 76, and Impreza 55. So not really.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:01 pm Dude. 4R gives you your balls back. You don't have to be like the rest of us. The aftermarket for this thing is really next level and it is literally a 300K mile rig with a teeny bit of love. DO NOT GET THE FUCKING SUBARU.
:lol: I lost those the second the twins were born. The aftermarket really isn’t a consideration, this being a lease, but it certainly helps project an image more amenable to my manly ego. We’ll see, I need to make a decision probably today.

The GTI gets picked up on Monday. :sad:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

troyguitar wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:47 pm Isn't the 4runner the size of a Forester/Impreza/GTI inside?
Much larger
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Oh, that's a good point. When I had my 4Runner, it didn't have active cruise control or anything. Looks like they do now. No lane keep assist, but ACC is the important one. They even have Carplay now. :notbad:

If you don't like tech stuff, yeah, get the 4Runner. There was something really enjoyable and how brash and truck like it was. Giant knobs for everything. Really simple.

Outback's touch screen has some really, really bad GUI design stuff going on. You have to go into a sub menu to change the heated seat level, even though there is a button for it on the screen :facepalm: It opens up another window where you have to press a totally different spot to adjust them. So dumb.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

How do you plan on fitting 3 car seats though? 3 across the back? It's a big vehicle, but I wouldn't think that would be possible in one. I had the very rare 3rd row option in mine. You're definitely not getting a car seat back there.