Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm

Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
Having a relatively fun car is a nice escape from the doldrums of chasing babies around, my dude. Not saying you have to get the CTR, but sometimes if I need to run an errand and only have 20 minutes in the car alone, I'm fucking glad it's a car I enjoy. That's the entire reason the GTI is still around.
I’m with you, I do enjoy the BMW, I’d say it’s on par with a GTI for fun to maybe slightly more fun. I’m just :aintcare: about keeping it Zillspec (although my not caring is probably still 5X the care of a regular person).

A CTR is definitely still possible if they’re not $50k at some point, but I just fear I’ll worry about it too much and it will add more stress than fun.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm I'm more interested in buying more guitar/bike/house shit than a car at this point, some of which is subject to the same :bs: as cars these days as far as prices/availability.

It turns out that not driving for 2 years is a good way to stop the :plac: cycle.
I dunno. Driving a Corolla Hybrid has sucked the life out of me and I can’t wait to get rid of the fucking thing. It’s an amazing appliance for transportation but it has exactly zero personality or character or redeeming “drivability” feature. Spending 2+ hours a day in a car that isn’t available with heated seats, a leather steering wheel, and a decent audio system is draining when you’re an enthusiast and around performance cars all day.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:35 pm
coogles wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Having a relatively fun car is a nice escape from the doldrums of chasing babies around, my dude. Not saying you have to get the CTR, but sometimes if I need to run an errand and only have 20 minutes in the car alone, I'm fucking glad it's a car I enjoy. That's the entire reason the GTI is still around.
I’m with you, I do enjoy the BMW, I’d say it’s on par with a GTI for fun to maybe slightly more fun. I’m just :aintcare: about keeping it Zillspec (although my not caring is probably still 5X the care of a regular person).

A CTR is definitely still possible if they’re not $50k at some point, but I just fear I’ll worry about it too much and it will add more stress than fun.
With the mods it has, it probably is. I'm in a pretty similar boat as you regarding the upkeep of the GTI, though. I do everything it needs mechanically, do my best to keep it somewhat clean when I can, but mostly I'm pretty :aintcare: about the cosmetics. I was over the top anal about the STi and while I in some ways enjoyed that too, it's kind of impossible to be that way when crotchfruit are taking all of your time.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

fledonfoot wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:04 pm I'm more interested in buying more guitar/bike/house shit than a car at this point, some of which is subject to the same :bs: as cars these days as far as prices/availability.

It turns out that not driving for 2 years is a good way to stop the :plac: cycle.
I dunno. Driving a Corolla Hybrid has sucked the life out of me and I can’t wait to get rid of the fucking thing. It’s an amazing appliance for transportation but it has exactly zero personality or character or redeeming “drivability” feature. Spending 2+ hours a day in a car that isn’t available with heated seats, a leather steering wheel, and a decent audio system is draining when you’re an enthusiast and around performance cars all day.
You're driving a ton :doe:

I don't think I've driven more than 5k miles in the past 30 months. I just don't go anywhere in the car. I have gone weeks at a time without even sitting in a car, let alone driving.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:57 pm
fledonfoot wrote:
You're driving a ton :doe:

I don't think I've driven more than 5k miles in the past 30 months. I just don't go anywhere in the car. I have gone weeks at a time without even sitting in a car, let alone driving.
It’s definitely a factor… I have actually driven five days in a row for probably the first time since 2019 and actually started to miss the Corvette a bit… but not enough to go down the :plac: road, fortunately having anything even remotely interesting starting at over $20k has taken away any desire to do that.

My 328i would probably be perfect for Fled :doe: :dillerman:
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:33 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:27 pm
:yeahok:

Once the market gets more normal, it'll be game on. :popcorn:
We shall see. I certainly wouldn't bet against this outcome.

I am curious if I end up :plac: or not IF/when things go back to normal. I am honestly rather content with the :aintcare: BMW. :tits: and I are discussing :baby: which would probably remove a GR86 from the equation. :notsure: if there is much else I really want... I have been driving more in the past week for various reasons though, I've found I do miss the :poorvette: a bit sometimes.
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm
:baby: will destroy any :plac: thoughts, or at least it should. You guys have fine :baby: mobiles, and you'll have plenty of other things to focus spending on instead. #adulting
Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
For what it is worth my friend, if :baby: is in the picture, KEEP THE BMW. It is still 10x more fun than an appliance mobile. It is not a CTR and as a DAD that is THE BEST. Why? Car will become cluttered, messy, and full of crumbs and other baby shit. It is A FACT. I drive my GTI just like an appliance car (wash it every few months unless bad dust/pollen/etc). I have a big car wash place that has free vacuum and air for anyone so I just go there a few times a month and vacuum it clean, clean the interior wherever needed/possible and then just :aintcare: . Car has door dings, insane amounts of rock chips and even a crack in the headlight from a rock chip, a curbed wheel, etc. but I am ENJOYING those moments where I can overtake a car, or do some spirited driving and I have a fun car that still hold :baby: and other crap.

Not to :doomed: but keep it as is and spend time on cycling or other hobbies that also keep you healthy and sane. You'd hate having a CTR and neglecting it more than having an older BMW and wondering what could've been.

Also, when :baby: comes, you will see how much more money you are spending on diapers, formula, bottles (TONS OF BRANDS AND BABIES ARE PICKY, SO YOU WILL BUY AT LEAST HALF OF THEM AND SEE WHICH ONE YOURS LIKES). Baby wipes, etc. etc. etc.

I think you are looking for a solution to no problem, and it is something you should probably really sit down and let yourself understand there is no problem in your current situ.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

coogles wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:59 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:35 pm

With the mods it has, it probably is. I'm in a pretty similar boat as you regarding the upkeep of the GTI, though. I do everything it needs mechanically, do my best to keep it somewhat clean when I can, but mostly I'm pretty :aintcare: about the cosmetics. I was over the top anal about the STi and while I in some ways enjoyed that too, it's kind of impossible to be that way when crotchfruit are taking all of your time.
I love my GTI and I love treating it like the daily it's supposed to be. I have door dings, swirl marks, rock chips, a curbed wheel, etc. but I keep the interior clean AF and it does whatever I need it to do.
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
razr390

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:07 pm
troyguitar wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:57 pm You're driving a ton :doe:

It’s definitely a factor… I have actually driven five days in a row for probably the first time since 2019 and actually started to miss the Corvette a bit… but not enough to go down the :plac: road, fortunately having anything even remotely interesting starting at over $20k has taken away any desire to do that.

This, and it is also why you need to learn to stop finding a solution to a problem that, IMO, you don't have. It's happened to me before too, and I always end up regretting any purchase I look for a justification to make.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

In anti :plac: news here in the desert my 101K mile benzo was missing/vibrating at idle. Took it to my Indie dude and $400 later I have 6 fresh coil packs. I may do the Max on this car and at least see if I can get it to 250K. It's basically a Buick Le Sabre at heart with finer interior materials, finer exterior materials, finer engine components, and when you go through a 50 mph corner at 90 mph, you realize it was not designed by the LeSabre guys. @@280 for coil packs and $120 labor, I can't afford to work on it myself.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I’m not one for The Ultimate Depreciation Machines, unfortunately.

GR86 should be here late November pending the build challenges with the premium models. I’ll trade the Corolla and daily that for a year or so, and then lease another appliance next winter as a third car.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

I’m not one for The Ultimate Depreciation Machines, unfortunately.

GR86 should be here late November pending the build challenges with the premium models. I’ll trade the Corolla and daily that for a year or so, and then lease another appliance next winter as a third car.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 pm In anti :plac: news here in the desert my 101K mile benzo was missing/vibrating at idle. Took it to my Indie dude and $400 later I have 6 fresh coil packs. I may do the Max on this car and at least see if I can get it to 250K. It's basically a Buick Le Sabre at heart with finer interior materials, finer exterior materials, finer engine components, and when you go through a 50 mph corner at 90 mph, you realize it was not designed by the LeSabre guys. @@280 for coil packs and $120 labor, I can't afford to work on it myself.
250K should be entirely doable.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:25 pm In anti :plac: news here in the desert my 101K mile benzo was missing/vibrating at idle. Took it to my Indie dude and $400 later I have 6 fresh coil packs. I may do the Max on this car and at least see if I can get it to 250K. It's basically a Buick Le Sabre at heart with finer interior materials, finer exterior materials, finer engine components, and when you go through a 50 mph corner at 90 mph, you realize it was not designed by the LeSabre guys. @@280 for coil packs and $120 labor, I can't afford to work on it myself.
250K should be entirely doable.
If my daughter doesn’t take it its a perfect 3rd car I am into cheap af.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

Ain't that the truth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Seriously. I never drive anywhere on my own because there's just no need. Buying a second vehicle really makes zero sense and since I'm not regularly in any car, the :plac: cycle is pretty broken for me. Back when I was driving a car every day, it was different.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:23 pm

This, and it is also why you need to learn to stop finding a solution to a problem that, IMO, you don't have. It's happened to me before too, and I always end up regretting any purchase I look for a justification to make.
Don't get me :wrong: , I have no plans on :plac: , I haven't even been on autotempest in months :lolol:

I bought the BMW planning to :plac: in 12-24 months/when the market status changed and am actually enjoying :aintcare: life more than I expected, so I may just keep it longer.

That said, I do always think about what's next as we all do. I thought that would be a GR86 but if we wind up with a kid, that likely won't work, so the Beemah may just stick around until it stops being reliable, we'll see.

Car searching is exhausting and it's kind of :nice: that everything is reserved for only 1%ers now, so I can just sit back, not drive that much, and not give a shit.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I don't think you're going to do much better than the BMW for single car + kid duty unless :wasteful:
ChrisoftheNorth

MrH42 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:23 am I don't think you're going to do much better than the BMW for single car + kid duty unless :wasteful:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:50 am
razr390 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:23 pm

Don't get me :wrong: , I have no plans on :plac: , I haven't even been on autotempest in months :lolol:

I bought the BMW planning to :plac: in 12-24 months/when the market status changed and am actually enjoying :aintcare: life more than I expected, so I may just keep it longer.

That said, I do always think about what's next as we all do. I thought that would be a GR86 but if we wind up with a kid, that likely won't work, so the Beemah may just stick around until it stops being reliable, we'll see.

Car searching is exhausting and it's kind of :nice: that everything is reserved for only 1%ers now, so I can just sit back, not drive that much, and not give a shit.
My issue is I'm used to killing time by searching FBM or whatever. I need to stop that because I have no desire to buy something really. And these days, it just makes me :rage: by how pricey EVERYTHING is.

I need a new time killer.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:34 pm In other news, a month or so ago I reached out to my local Toyota :dillerman: to let me know when they got a new Tacoma with power seats in so I could come sit in it and take it for a drive. Dude contacted me today out of blue :impressive: to let me know they just got in a TuRD Sport I can come check out.

Word is the power seats make a big difference in comfort and headroom, so I'm looking forward to checking the truck out. I won't be buying it, but if I like it, I may discuss with them trying to get a TuRD OffRoad Access Cab in somehow.
I'm not sure you can get power seats in an access cab.

Shame you're not closer, I'd let you sit in mine for :science:
According to the Toyota build and price, they're standard on all TuRD OR/Sport Bros regardless of cab type. But :iono:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:13 pm

My issue is I'm used to killing time by searching FBM or whatever. I need to stop that because I have no desire to buy something really. And these days, it just makes me :rage: by how pricey EVERYTHING is.

I'm planning out a pointless build on my commuter bike. I will end up wasting hundreds of dollars but it's fun and that's a lot better than thousands of dollars. At least I'll use it and don't have to :dill: with :dillerman:

I just bought a cheap used groupset on FBM, still will need to source other random shit. I feel it's a more productive time killer while sitting at the computer all damn day.
razr390

Reddit. They have subreddits for just about every topic out there.
ChrisoftheNorth

razr390 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:29 pm

Oh yea, I scroll reddit constantly. I just need something to kick the :plac: itch.
razr390

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:32 pm
razr390 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:29 pm
Oh yea, I scroll reddit constantly. I just need something to kick the :plac: itch.
Easy. Become a car/boat/etc. broker/finder. Charging a finders fee if people buy what you shared.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:34 pm In other news, a month or so ago I reached out to my local Toyota :dillerman: to let me know when they got a new Tacoma with power seats in so I could come sit in it and take it for a drive. Dude contacted me today out of blue :impressive: to let me know they just got in a TuRD Sport I can come check out.

Word is the power seats make a big difference in comfort and headroom, so I'm looking forward to checking the truck out. I won't be buying it, but if I like it, I may discuss with them trying to get a TuRD OffRoad Access Cab in somehow.
Honestly there is no big difference between that and before. Toyota forum bros talk about the power seat as if it is a god send but it's honestly a minor improvement.

With a minor gangsta lean you'll fit just fine with a moonroof and without shouldn't be an issue as you're looking into SR5 models.

They are not the most comfortable vehicles, I would expect significant downgrades from the full sizers that you're used to.

Turd Sports are one of my least favorite trims. As you get the fake hood scoop + painted fender flares which make the truck look blah IMO.

I would absolutely NOT be looking for a Tacoma right now. Based on what I am seeing in the market (I spent a lot of time on the yoda forums) the stealers are absolutely racking everyone over the coals at the moment. Toyota shut down production in september and it destroyed all on hand inventory. So now dealers are playing games with "mark ups" "mandatory protection packs" etc etc etc.

However on the flip side there is money on the hood of Gladiators again.

That said the "unicorn" spec is the Turd off road :manuel: which obviously isn't made anymore but frankly I am not sure what the point is, yes the bed is exactly 1 foot longer but I doubt it'll make any sort of real world difference unless you carry 6' long shit on the regular.

A trd OFF road manual is how I would roll if I were you, but they won't be available for another 2-3 months. Inventory is non existent. And dudes are trading in 4 year old trucks with 100k miles for near MSRP and dealers sell them at NEAR MSRP.

When I was shopping for my PRO, the pricing for a TRD off road manual was 37k msrp-1-3k so around 35k... obviously that isn't there today.

Base tacos also have some really shitty headlights btw, so you may want to upgrade them as soon as you get it. Other than that it is pretty much the same across. Let me know if you have any sort of trim level/tacoma questions I have spent way too much time on that forum.

Also for those ragging on the 2.7L I4, yes it is an abysmally slow POS engine paired with an anemic 6 speed auto NOT 4. But that said it is the only million mile engine on the market today. It literally has 0 known flaws, even by 300k you can expect to get there by changing the air filter 3 times, and doing oil changes every 20k miles.

The 3.5 is surprisingly UNRELIABLE, especially in the earlier years, I'd avoid 16/17 models like a plague. They sorted it out by 19... and the fixed the transmission tuning in the auto as much as they could in 20+ but it is frankly still shit. Once you adjust to driving it, it is bearable. But overall if you were to swap from another vehicle you will HATE IT for the first week/month, so bear that in mind. As this truck feels like it has 100hp until you learn how to drive it.