Shopping in the worst car market ever...Summer 21 Plac Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I would seriously cross shop the Frontqueer. It copied toyota styling and it has a new 9 speed auto and class leading power. It likely drives significantly nicer than a taco, and it may be easier to get one.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:37 pm
:baby: will destroy any :plac: thoughts, or at least it should. You guys have fine :baby: mobiles, and you'll have plenty of other things to focus spending on instead. #adulting
Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
Why would you treat a civic any different? And I am not sure about ultimate dad car, an M3 is the ultimate dad car. The CTR is sort of way too bold for that.
max225

So car shit post time... I have spent quite a bit of time debating on what to do next on the current car sitch. The market is abysmal as we all know so most likely NEW is the only way I'd roll.

I had the crazy idea of getting a G wagon and got the woman aboard as well, but unfortunately the perfect one was pre sold, and they won't make any for 2022, because MB cancelled their V8. :wtf:

this brought back the Defender into question...

I looked into it in 2020, and drove one and pretty much loved it, but refused to get a first model year slovakian shitshow. Now that they are well into the 2022 model year I figure I may have a bit more luck.

Apparently You can order one and have it be here in 4-5 months, as opposed to a tesla model x across the street which will take 9 months...

I have been heavily debating between a base 110, with white steelies, + off road + white roof + camera mirror + updated LED lights + meridian sound @57 and a 110SE with the I6 vs the I4, which would give it some balls. This one would roll in at around 70k... But it would alleviate my number one issue which is no balls on the taco.

The I4 felt fine around town but I fear that a behemoth that weighs 2x what a mini does is absolutely going to suck with an engine that is literally the same size, so it needs to have a bigger motor. + Cloth interior in a LR seems a bit off putting as well at near 60k.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:52 pm
Detroit wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:34 pm In other news, a month or so ago I reached out to my local Toyota :dillerman: to let me know when they got a new Tacoma with power seats in so I could come sit in it and take it for a drive. Dude contacted me today out of blue :impressive: to let me know they just got in a TuRD Sport I can come check out.

Word is the power seats make a big difference in comfort and headroom, so I'm looking forward to checking the truck out. I won't be buying it, but if I like it, I may discuss with them trying to get a TuRD OffRoad Access Cab in somehow.
Honestly there is no big difference between that and before. Toyota forum bros talk about the power seat as if it is a god send but it's honestly a minor improvement.

With a minor gangsta lean you'll fit just fine with a moonroof and without shouldn't be an issue as you're looking into SR5 models.

They are not the most comfortable vehicles, I would expect significant downgrades from the full sizers that you're used to.

Turd Sports are one of my least favorite trims. As you get the fake hood scoop + painted fender flares which make the truck look blah IMO.

I would absolutely NOT be looking for a Tacoma right now. Based on what I am seeing in the market (I spent a lot of time on the yoda forums) the stealers are absolutely racking everyone over the coals at the moment. Toyota shut down production in september and it destroyed all on hand inventory. So now dealers are playing games with "mark ups" "mandatory protection packs" etc etc etc.

However on the flip side there is money on the hood of Gladiators again.

That said the "unicorn" spec is the Turd off road :manuel: which obviously isn't made anymore but frankly I am not sure what the point is, yes the bed is exactly 1 foot longer but I doubt it'll make any sort of real world difference unless you carry 6' long shit on the regular.

A trd OFF road manual is how I would roll if I were you, but they won't be available for another 2-3 months. Inventory is non existent. And dudes are trading in 4 year old trucks with 100k miles for near MSRP and dealers sell them at NEAR MSRP.

When I was shopping for my PRO, the pricing for a TRD off road manual was 37k msrp-1-3k so around 35k... obviously that isn't there today.

Base tacos also have some really shitty headlights btw, so you may want to upgrade them as soon as you get it. Other than that it is pretty much the same across. Let me know if you have any sort of trim level/tacoma questions I have spent way too much time on that forum.

Also for those ragging on the 2.7L I4, yes it is an abysmally slow POS engine paired with an anemic 6 speed auto NOT 4. But that said it is the only million mile engine on the market today. It literally has 0 known flaws, even by 300k you can expect to get there by changing the air filter 3 times, and doing oil changes every 20k miles.

The 3.5 is surprisingly UNRELIABLE, especially in the earlier years, I'd avoid 16/17 models like a plague. They sorted it out by 19... and the fixed the transmission tuning in the auto as much as they could in 20+ but it is frankly still shit. Once you adjust to driving it, it is bearable. But overall if you were to swap from another vehicle you will HATE IT for the first week/month, so bear that in mind. As this truck feels like it has 100hp until you learn how to drive it.
I suspected this, it's how I've always viewed them, which really makes me :disgust:

I want a mid size truck with torque. They all have minivan engines other than the Ranger, which I've kind of considered, but even that isn't really appealing, especially at MSRP.

I'll likely do nothing since I don't really NEED anything at all. The next gen Colorado and Tacoma should be what I really want, but they're at least 1+ years from customer deliveries. Maybe I can make it that long, or at least the used market might correct to where I could buy an older full sizer and drive that for a bit.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

All of the reviews seem to praise the new Frontier's drivetrain, specifically the new 9 speed. :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:15 pm So car shit post time... I have spent quite a bit of time debating on what to do next on the current car sitch. The market is abysmal as we all know so most likely NEW is the only way I'd roll.

I had the crazy idea of getting a G wagon and got the woman aboard as well, but unfortunately the perfect one was pre sold, and they won't make any for 2022, because MB cancelled their V8. :wtf:

I looked into it in 2020, and drove one and pretty much loved it, but refused to get a first model year slovakian shitshow. Now that they are well into the 2022 model year I figure I may have a bit more luck.

Apparently You can order one and have it be here in 4-5 months, as opposed to a tesla model x across the street which will take 9 months...

I have been heavily debating between a base 110, with white steelies, + off road + white roof + camera mirror + updated LED lights + meridian sound @57 and a 110SE with the I6 vs the I4, which would give it some balls. This one would roll in at around 70k... But it would alleviate my number one issue which is no balls on the taco.

The I4 felt fine around town but I fear that a behemoth that weighs 2x what a mini does is absolutely going to suck with an engine that is literally the same size, so it needs to have a bigger motor. + Cloth interior in a LR seems a bit off putting as well at near 60k.
I don't know enough about them, but I like them a lot. 5/7 choice IMO. Get something with some balls.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:44 am All of the reviews seem to praise the new Frontier's drivetrain, specifically the new 9 speed. :iono:
Yea, but that's it. And even then, the engine only has 280 tqs, basically a minivan engine. I want turbro torque in a truck. The tech seems like it was planned 10 years ago, the styling will look dated when all of the other midsizers are updated over the next few years, and I'm not really sold on modern Nissans overall. Lots of :notsure: on that one.

Not to mention, the local Nissan dealer is right across the street from the Toyota dealer. They have multiple new Frontiers sitting out front, while Tacos sell before leaving the truck. I'd only buy a Frontier right now if I loved it and kept it around forever, they're going to tank in value soon.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:48 am
coogles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:44 am All of the reviews seem to praise the new Frontier's drivetrain, specifically the new 9 speed. :iono:
Yea, but that's it. And even then, the engine only has 280 tqs, basically a minivan engine. I want turbro torque in a truck. The tech seems like it was planned 10 years ago, the styling will look dated when all of the other midsizers are updated over the next few years, and I'm not really sold on modern Nissans overall. Lots of :notsure: on that one.

Not to mention, the local Nissan dealer is right across the street from the Toyota dealer. They have multiple new Frontiers sitting out front, while Tacos sell before leaving the truck. I'd only buy a Frontier right now if I loved it and kept it around forever, they're going to tank in value soon.
There is a lot of Tacoma :coolaid: being slung around and the reason for no trucks is toyota shut down production in sep. similar to what gm is going through. You can find any Silverados anywhere.

The frontier should fix the Tacoma issues with the trans. The 6 speed in the Tacoma takes a lot of getting used to. Also it does have more displacement and torque.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:01 pm

Yeah, we will see. :iono: I am still kind of :aintcare: on the money aspect, I think :tits: just gets :triggered: by the large Jeep payment and somehow can't wrap her head around the fact that it is a free car basically. In a way she is :notwrong:

I do feel like the CTR is the ultimate dad car, but I just don't know if I care enough to pay 3X the price for it over the Beemah, especially knowing that I would be far more :triggered: with it sitting outside and being somewhat neglected. That's what's been so great about the BMW, I take it through the automated wash monthly, clean the interior like once per month or two, I'll keep up with mechanical maintenance, but otherwise just really don't give a shit about it, which has been very freeing. It still looks good, drives well, and is pretty comfy and fuel efficient.

I feel like if :baby: comes in to play at any point, I would rather spend any personal time I do have on cycling over car shit.
Why would you treat a civic any different? And I am not sure about ultimate dad car, an M3 is the ultimate dad car. The CTR is sort of way too bold for that.
Well for starters, it is a $50fuckingK Civic which is a bit :disgust: versus a $16K BMcuckleU. It is also something I have coveted for a long time versus something I own because it's cheap, easy, and good enough.

:iono: I also feel that the more unique/special a car is, the more I will baby it/care. I cared about the :poorvette: more than the :mk6: even though I bought it for almost $10K less and a much smaller percentage of my income at the time. The Corvette is an occasion car of sorts, a 3 series non M is not. I am probably :wrong: for thinking a Hype R is special, but I think it's ingrained in me after being a Honda Boi from age 17-24 or so and Type Rs always being the unobtanium thing.

M3 is indeed also a kickass dad car but I have little interest in them to be honest, the consumables costs and whatnot are just too high for my tastes.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:15 pm So car shit post time... I have spent quite a bit of time debating on what to do next on the current car sitch. The market is abysmal as we all know so most likely NEW is the only way I'd roll.

I would personally never rock a G Wagen... that is just... :iono: too much Kardashian :bs: for me, one of the few cars I would actively avoid because of image :lolol:

I think Defenders are pretty fucking sweet. You may as well cross shop the Broncbro as well depending on when your timeline starts, I imagine even sitting in one is impossible right now. :iono: Bronco seems cool but I have to admit that in person it doesn't sit quite right to me, I prefer the look of the Defender and Wrangler.
max225

I actually did spend a lot of time on the bronco forums while away from here. The bronco mainly doesn’t work because it is not available for another year + first model year issues.

The RR also has a far better interior. I really really wanted to make the bronco work but it’s just not in the cards. Plus this will be a shared vehicle and the woman can’t stop talking about OJ.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:59 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:48 am

There is a lot of Tacoma :coolaid: being slung around and the reason for no trucks is toyota shut down production in sep. similar to what gm is going through. You can find any Silverados anywhere.

The frontier should fix the Tacoma issues with the trans. The 6 speed in the Tacoma takes a lot of getting used to. Also it does have more displacement and torque.
Maybe I should go drive one of the Frontiers at the :dillerman: to see. I really want torque :doe: After the 3.6's in the JT and DT, I want balls. I pulled our boat out of the water using my neighbor's 5.3 Tahoe (not even a 6.2), and my god was it easy with all that torque. Towing is like the boat isn't even back there.

I guess I should just get a V8 fullsizer. I just really don't want anything that big :disgust: The next gen Colorado with 2.7T will be the perfect truck for me, perhaps I just wait. Or just deal with a Tacoma in the sort term and trade it in losing nothing.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:29 am I actually did spend a lot of time on the bronco forums while away from here. The bronco mainly doesn’t work because it is not available for another year + first model year issues.

The RR also has a far better interior. I really really wanted to make the bronco work but it’s just not in the cards. Plus this will be a shared vehicle and the woman can’t stop talking about OJ.
Defender>Bronco IMO.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:29 am I actually did spend a lot of time on the bronco forums while away from here. The bronco mainly doesn’t work because it is not available for another year + first model year issues.

Defender>Bronco IMO.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

The new Defenders are awesome. They are slightly, slightly worse off road, and infinitely better on road, for a relatively small increase in price? Seems like a no brainer (well, save for the questionable Land Rover reliability elephant in the room).
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: on the last part. I also find the Bronco interior kind of hideous, I don't know why. It feels like an F150 interior which just makes it feel fucking huge, which I hate. It is rather irrational, but meh. I will say, it is awesome that there are less cross bars blocking the open air 'vert experience. That is the one thing that makes me want it a bit more than a Beep Beep, but IIRC you aren't really into 'vert life anyway.

Defender is an awesome choice. Better on-road manners would be quite nice, I will admit that I am not as enthusiastic on Jeep life. I'm glad that I've experienced it as it was kind of a bucket list thing, but I don't think I would ever buy one again for myself. That said, we will likely hold it for many years as :tits: enjoys it and I'm still more into it than a Rage4 or whatever other CUV thing she would get in its place.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:28 pm

:lolol: on the last part. I also find the Bronco interior kind of hideous, I don't know why. It feels like an F150 interior which just makes it feel fucking huge, which I hate. It is rather irrational, but meh. I will say, it is awesome that there are less cross bars blocking the open air 'vert experience. That is the one thing that makes me want it a bit more than a Beep Beep, but IIRC you aren't really into 'vert life anyway.

Defender is an awesome choice. Better on-road manners would be quite nice, I will admit that I am not as enthusiastic on Jeep life. I'm glad that I've experienced it as it was kind of a bucket list thing, but I don't think I would ever buy one again for myself. That said, we will likely hold it for many years as :tits: enjoys it and I'm still more into it than a Rage4 or whatever other CUV thing she would get in its place.
OJ was sort of before our times... i.e we're still kids when it happened but for some reason she won't be STFU about it. Both :disappoint: :lolol: at the same time.

I get the JL lifestyle, if you don't mind the way it drives it is a nice trouble free experience that has minimal cash outlay in the end. Similar to the tacoma. They are great vehicles that have a bit of extra character over a raised camry or prius. Which IMO are not worth owning period for anyone who gives a damn about vehicles.

While there is A MPG penalty :whocares: with costs of everything else in the stratosphere gas for ya'll is cheap. We're at a solid $5 for reg now and $5+ for premium and no one is batting an eye here. It is just a cost of life...

I do foresee a big shift once cities "open again" and people take public transit. This may be 6-12 months away but it'll happen. Then we will literally reverse full steam on vehicles.

For myself here there is no way to live without a car, we have a 1 walk score on redfin :yikes:
max225

MrH42 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:59 am The new Defenders are awesome. They are slightly, slightly worse off road, and infinitely better on road, for a relatively small increase in price? Seems like a no brainer (well, save for the questionable Land Rover reliability elephant in the room).
This really depends on the trim levels. I wouldn't get a 35" equipped bronco because :butwhy: they are also quite SLOW even in the 2.7TT trim... the 35s are just completely destroying the performance of the vehicle. And frankly I will never understand why one would sacrifice 99% of the on road performance for the 1% of the time you're off road. You STILL GOT TO GET TO THE TRAIL. Which for most with the means to buy a new Bronco/Defender is 100s of miles on road RT, to spend 10s of miles off road at best.

I have no real want to test the limits of either. Taking a 60 or 70k vehicle to get muddy or bashed on rocks is not my idea of fun. Occasional dirt roads with perhaps some more challenging parts is all I need. Based on what I saw in the vids the Defender caps out far above my comfort level as is.

key question... Air suspension or not... Air suspension which used to be standard in 2020 is now a $1600 option on one hand it gives it insane GC, on the other hand it can be a hassle long term. Even though I am :notsure: I'd ever own it that long given the :plac: history.

With the bronco I actually prefer the most base 2 door model in :manuel: trim at under 40k. But that won't fly with the woman... as she wouldn't use the vehicle and it would just turn into a toy for myself.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:57 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:28 pm

OJ was sort of before our times... i.e we're still kids when it happened but for some reason she won't be STFU about it. Both :disappoint: :lolol: at the same time.

I get the JL lifestyle, if you don't mind the way it drives it is a nice trouble free experience that has minimal cash outlay in the end. Similar to the tacoma. They are great vehicles that have a bit of extra character over a raised camry or prius. Which IMO are not worth owning period for anyone who gives a damn about vehicles.

While there is A MPG penalty :whocares: with costs of everything else in the stratosphere gas for ya'll is cheap. We're at a solid $5 for reg now and $5+ for premium and no one is batting an eye here. It is just a cost of life...

I do foresee a big shift once cities "open again" and people take public transit. This may be 6-12 months away but it'll happen. Then we will literally reverse full steam on vehicles.

For myself here there is no way to live without a car, we have a 1 walk score on redfin :yikes:
We could get by with one but I just have zero interest in doing that and can afford not to. I often go M-F never touching the BMcuckleU but I want to have the option to go places if desired, :tits: drives to work daily among other activities. I pretty much use my car for leisure like driving to MTB trail heads or visiting my family on weekends, but I enjoy having it. What's odd is that in the current world, if you don't :plac: , owning cars is fairly inexpensive. We have two rides that have depreciated almost zero, don't drive as much so fuel/maintenance costs are low, insurance is a bit but not horrid.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:57 pm

We could get by with one but I just have zero interest in doing that and can afford not to. I often go M-F never touching the BMcuckleU but I want to have the option to go places if desired, :tits: drives to work daily among other activities. I pretty much use my car for leisure like driving to MTB trail heads or visiting my family on weekends, but I enjoy having it. What's odd is that in the current world, if you don't :plac: , owning cars is fairly inexpensive. We have two rides that have depreciated almost zero, don't drive as much so fuel/maintenance costs are low, insurance is a bit but not horrid.
Hmm as of now yes, depreciation is possibly even negative in the last 12 months. How about registration/INsurance?

For me that's $180-200 a month. The Tacoma was a whopping $650 a year in reg fees + a somewhat affordable $100 a month in insurance.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:14 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:11 pm

Hmm as of now yes, depreciation is possibly even negative in the last 12 months. How about registration/INsurance?

For me that's $180-200 a month. The Tacoma was a whopping $650 a year in reg fees + a somewhat affordable $100 a month in insurance.
$2K/year all in on insurance and reg. for the Jeep and BMcuckleU here, insurance is pretty cheap, reg is like half of that. But if you take all that into account, owning two cars versus one is sub $5K/year which is well worth it to me just for the freedom of knowing I can do whatever I want, even though that's not really necessary.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

The G wagon is now up-marked by $50k of the orgininal msrp because of that. That "supply shortage" is low key telling me MB's are ditching V8's for good, especially when they're announcing the upcoming c/e class AMG's to squeeze 400 hp off of a 4 banger. That's just asking for lot of issues. AFAIK the Defender 90 (2 door) apparently starts at $45k, plus an optional bench seat.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.