Cars that BUCK the trend of appreciation.

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:41 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:15 pm

Yea it was a full 14.5K used.... Didn't get new obviously.
We ridiculed a kid mercilessly in high school who inherited his grandfather's Lincoln. Thing was mint, and in hindsight completely undeserving of ridicule. One day he totaled it and bought a $1k Porsche 924 POS and I think we ridiculed him more for that purchase. In an attempt to be cool, he cut off the muffler and strapped a cherry bomb on the back, it sounded horrific as he revved around on people, yet he'd still brag to girls that he had a Pooorshaaa. One day, I convinced him to do a burnout contest with me in my S-10. I was the reigning champ of clutch dump burn outs, while he clearly hadn't done a burnout before. He fried the clutch to the point where the car wouldn't move while choking on the smoke I managed to emit from my BFG AT's (white letters out of course). We left it in the middle of the high school parking lot because he didn't want to pay to have it towed. The school called his dad who called a tow truck and had the car towed straight to the junkyard. He had to take the bus after that. :lolol:

I digress, it's just funny how things chance because now I'd be :fuckyeah: to have that Lincoln.
:dat:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

We ridiculed a kid mercilessly in high school who inherited his grandfather's Lincoln. Thing was mint, and in hindsight completely undeserving of ridicule. One day he totaled it and bought a $1k Porsche 924 POS and I think we ridiculed him more for that purchase. In an attempt to be cool, he cut off the muffler and strapped a cherry bomb on the back, it sounded horrific as he revved around on people, yet he'd still brag to girls that he had a Pooorshaaa. One day, I convinced him to do a burnout contest with me in my S-10. I was the reigning champ of clutch dump burn outs, while he clearly hadn't done a burnout before. He fried the clutch to the point where the car wouldn't move while choking on the smoke I managed to emit from my BFG AT's (white letters out of course). We left it in the middle of the high school parking lot because he didn't want to pay to have it towed. The school called his dad who called a tow truck and had the car towed straight to the junkyard. He had to take the bus after that. :lolol:

I digress, it's just funny how things chance because now I'd be :fuckyeah: to have that Lincoln.
Goddam it was a savage adolescence in Meatchicken.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:52 pm

Would 16yo Eric :fuckyeah: grandpa's Lincoln? I doubt it.

I did find a newfound respect for grandpa cars when my girlfriend senior year got her grandmother's Bonneville. That back seat in that thing...wow.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:53 pm

I dunno, seemed like normal 16 year old boy stuff, no?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

When I was 11 or 12 my old man had one of these

His had a white landau as I remember.....

He loved his boats in the 70's he had this earlier

And this before that...his had different two tone theme as I remember it was gold on top and a cream color on the bottom...

Actually I think one of the Caddy's was a Fleetwood Eldorado but I couldn't find any good pics that matched my memory...
Last edited by Irish on Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:52 pm

I did find a newfound respect for grandpa cars when my girlfriend senior year got her grandmother's Bonneville. That back seat in that thing...wow.
Perhaps not :fuckyeah: but it would have had respect for its cruiseability platform.

Top cars at my high school in 1983-1987 were.

1. Three 1967 Camaros, one was a full frame off resto in Candy Apple red with a recent TPI 350. The other was a 327, spooge colored with black stripes, four speed, built, fast. Two brothers shared a red 67 RS 327 with the closing light covers, four speed, nice.

2. Rich kid had a 1977 Trans Am, Four Speed, T tops, Red on Black, just like Sammy Hagar's. Sweet car.

3. Pair of 1971 Mustangs, one was a Mach 1, Red on Black, looked good but smoked and never ran good, the other was a red one with a 351 Cleveland this kid and his dad had built with cam and heads and it made big power. Could not hook up, but from 30 mph it was the king of the parking lot.

The rest was just regular cars including spoiled girls with E30 328is, etc.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:53 pm

The relegation to the bus put this story over the top.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:10 pm

And this before that...his had different two tone theme as I remember it was gold on top and a cream color on the bottom...

Actually I think one of the Caddy's was a Fleetwood Eldorado but I couldn't find any good pics that matched my memory...
I have increasing appreciation for boat cars as I age. These are all epic.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

I have no idea what anyone drove in high school. Cars were appliances back then and only maybe half of us had one at all.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:59 pm
He trashed the Lincoln before he totaled it. Possibly due to our ridicule, but he hated that car. From a dad standpoint, it was free and he took it for granted. Then the 924 purchase made absolutely zero sense, it looked like it came from the junkyard it went to. His dad was probably sick of the seemingly ungrateful shit and forced him to learn a lesson. I'd do the same if that kid was my son.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:10 pm

#1 and 2 are epic.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:33 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:23 pm

He trashed the Lincoln before he totaled it. Possibly due to our ridicule, but he hated that car. From a dad standpoint, it was free and he took it for granted. Then the 924 purchase made absolutely zero sense, it looked like it came from the junkyard it went to. His dad was probably sick of the seemingly ungrateful shit and forced him to learn a lesson. I'd do the same if that kid was my son.
+1.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:12 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:55 pm

Perhaps not :fuckyeah: but it would have had respect for its cruiseability platform.

Top cars at my high school in 1983-1987 were.

1. Three 1967 Camaros, one was a full frame off resto in Candy Apple red with a recent TPI 350. The other was a 327, spooge colored with black stripes, four speed, built, fast. Two brothers shared a red 67 RS 327 with the closing light covers, four speed, nice.

2. Rich kid had a 1977 Trans Am, Four Speed, T tops, Red on Black, just like Sammy Hagar's. Sweet car.

3. Pair of 1971 Mustangs, one was a Mach 1, Red on Black, looked good but smoked and never ran good, the other was a red one with a 351 Cleveland this kid and his dad had built with cam and heads and it made big power. Could not hook up, but from 30 mph it was the king of the parking lot.

The rest was just regular cars including spoiled girls with E30 328is, etc.
So, 10ish years later in an fancy area of Detroit,

From what I recall, top car was a pale yellow Mitsu 3000GT. No clue how the kid got it, but it was modified and insanely fast. He took immaculate care of it, including driving a beater in the winter.

Then, being an area that a lot of big 3 execs lived, kids would get new lease vehicles. Mustang GT, Camaro SS, one kid got a brand new Hummer H2 in bright yellow when they first came out.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm I have no idea what anyone drove in high school. Cars were appliances back then and only maybe half of us had one at all.
Same. Most of my friends didn't own a car. We'd walk to school and borrow our parent's car go out on the weekend, if we were lucky.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm I have no idea what anyone drove in high school. Cars were appliances back then and only maybe half of us had one at all.
My buddy had a 68' Ford Fairlane, :jizz: yellow with a black vinyl top. Well cared for by his dad, who bought it when he got married and sold his 1965 425hp solid lifter 396 Corvette. :butwhy:
390 2 barrel. Drum brakes with no power assist. Sony casette deck with 6X9s in the back. Much Rockin like Don Don Dokken.
Irish

High school in rural PA in the early 80s...... My best friends brother Vaughn's nickname was "Monkey" (Short for grease monkey) because he was super good with cars (as was my friend), Vaughn had a 4 on the floor '65 Falcon Wagon, with a built 351 Cleveland in it. White with black interior, roll bar (complete with attached fire extinguishers) with fold down back seat where he sired his first kid before leaving high school.
That thing was one of the fastest cars I have ever been in. This pic is pretty close to where he had it. I think he had fatter rear tires.

HIS buddy had a cherry 68 camaro Z28 that was also built but that kid came from "money" and this was mostly a dadillac.

MY friend, Vaughns younger brother Harry had a '67 Mustang that he put every dollar he could scrounge into (they were working class just like we were). He eventually dropped a 390 into it and had it painted ...it was beaut.

I had one other "Friend" a few steps removed from my inner circle that bought a '72 Chevelle SS that I coveted in a big, big way....hell I STILL want this beast big time (one of my other ancillary friend still has it actually)

Most everyone else drove appliances .....

I totaled a 62 Galaxie 500 (detailed in my car thread) that I didn't appreciate near enough, and then subsequently drove my dads vehicles
Last edited by Irish on Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm High school in rural PA in the early 80s...... My best friends brother Vaughn's nickname was "Monkey" (Short for grease monkey) because he was super good with cars (as was my friend), Vaughn had a 4 on the floor '65 Falcon Wagon, with a built 351 Cleveland in it. White with black interior, roll bar (complete with attached fire extinguishers) with fold down back seat where he sired his first kid before leaving high school.
That thing was one of the fastest cars I have ever been in. This pic is pretty close to where he had it. I think he had fatter rear tires.

HIS buddy had a cherry 68 camaro that was also built but that kid came from "money" and this was mostly a dadillac.

MY friend, Vaughns younger brother Harry had a '67 Mustang that he put every dollar he could scrounge into (they were working class just like we were). He eventually dropped a 390 into it and had it painted ...it was beaut.

I had one other "Friend" a few steps removed from my inner circle that bought a '72 Chevelle SS that I coveted in a big, big way....hell I STILL want this beast big time (one of my other ancillary friend still has it actually)

I totaled a 62 Galaxie 500 (detailed in my car thread) that I didn't appreciate near enough, and then subsequently drove my dads vehicles
That Falcon wagon is :megusta:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

wap wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:39 pm
Same. Most of my friends didn't own a car. We'd walk to school and borrow our parent's car go out on the weekend, if we were lucky.
It took awhile to chisel the wheels out of stone when you were in high school.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

And we lost the thread !

However :notbad: content. Enjoying this read.

Any other takes on cars that are interesting/cool/unique but not appreciating !?
Irish

Sorry for the brief thread derail...

I was pretty intrigued by the the Solstice/Skye when it came out

but then I had a chance to sit in one at a Outlaws, Charlie Daniels Band, WIllie Nelson Concert in SoFLa..... It was way too small for me......

I also really liked the the Crossfire..... enough to test drive one....it felt more AMG than Chrysler for sure....it was just not practical at the time......

ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:28 pm And we lost the thread !

Any other takes on cars that are interesting/cool/unique but not appreciating !?
I honestly think the king is the MINI...pretty much any.

You also forgot to mention the Ram SRT-10...a Ram with a VIPER V10 and could be had with a :manuel: So ridiculous. So Cool.

Or how about the Chevy SSR? Those things haven't moved in value, and they're quite unique. Like a Prowler, only fast.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:40 pm Sorry for the brief thread derail...

I was pretty intrigued by the the Solstice/Skye when it came out

but then I had a chance to sit in one at a Outlaws, Charlie Daniels Band, WIllie Nelson Concert in SoFLa..... It was way too small for me......

I also really liked the the Crossfire..... enough to test drive one....it felt more AMG than Chrysler for sure....it was just not practical at the time......

The Crossfire is a great example! Especially an SRT variant, those things were quite unique and still cheap AF.

Solstice/Sky are great examples, it's shame they're so small.
wap

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:02 pm
Irish wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:01 pm High school in rural PA in the early 80s...... My best friends brother Vaughn's nickname was "Monkey" (Short for grease monkey) because he was super good with cars (as was my friend), Vaughn had a 4 on the floor '65 Falcon Wagon, with a built 351 Cleveland in it. White with black interior, roll bar (complete with attached fire extinguishers) with fold down back seat where he sired his first kid before leaving high school.

HIS buddy had a cherry 68 camaro that was also built but that kid came from "money" and this was mostly a dadillac.

That Falcon wagon is :megusta:
So :jimp:
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:10 pm
wap wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:39 pm

It took awhile to chisel the wheels out of stone when you were in high school.
:notwrong:
:lolol:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:42 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:28 pm And we lost the thread !

I honestly think the king is the MINI...pretty much any.

You also forgot to mention the Ram SRT-10...a Ram with a VIPER V10 and could be had with a :manuel: So ridiculous. So Cool.

Or how about the Chevy SSR? Those things haven't moved in value, and they're quite unique. Like a Prowler, only fast.
I am :notsure: about the V10 viper trucks. I think they initially depreciated heavily and I feel like they are somewhat pricy now.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventory ... =284103134
Granted nearly no miles

SSR is a nice addition.

https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/1GCES14PX4B105989

AARPurple