Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Alright... I am really feeling the :plac: at the moment. I love the Corvette as everyone knows. I bought the C5 in 2014 for $18.5K OTD and I've owned it free and clear since 2016. I've taken to about 20 track days, the Tail of the Dragon at least four times, I've driven it to Miami multiple times, Connecticut once, and around the Carolinas. I've added 45K or so miles, many of them full on urban. I've spent about $13K on maintenance and mods. It has proven to actually be cheap, reliable, and fast. The huge hatch + trailer hitch have made it even work as a camping/trip vehicle pretty well. I will be sad to see this car go whenever it does, but I think it may be time for a different experience.

As things stand, I only drive about 5-7K per year, a good 20% of that is track events. I doubt I'll be commuting much anytime soon, if we go back to the office, it would likely be part time and I would likely commute by bike mostly. I am probably starting a new role later this year where I'll be on the road much more, probably driving rentals. I'd like to be able to continue doing track events, but I would be fine with 3-5 per year rather than the 7-10 I've been doing, really I'm more into cycling at the moment.

So, requirements:
-Fun
-Trackable at least occasionally
-Manual only
-Ability to add a trailer hitch and haul bikes

Would be nice:
-RWD preferred
-something unique... I'd love to have a conversation starter car - Corvette isn't that cool, a 1995 MR2 turbo is
-a decent amount of cargo room for weekend trips/tools for track events/camping
-convertible would be fun (has to have factory roll over protection)
-back seat would be nice
-mid-engine would be ideal, or something new to me experience-wise
-something that will hold value respectably well, this may not be another seven year car.

Budget... I'm :notsure: Ideally $20-25K but could probably go much higher if I was very compelled.

Right now I'm thinking about S2000s, Boxsters, E90 M3s, Minis, maybe an STI as it would be so different. Am I missing anything? It's annoying that I always come back to "the Corvette fits my needs/wants better than anything else sub $40K"... but what should I do? :crang:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Evo 9
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

996/997 911? It has a new driving experience, appreciates, has a back seat, appreciated by most car enthusiasts and :tits:
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I know a guy with an S2000 with the :plac: itch as well
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MrH42 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:40 pm I know a guy with an S2000 with the :plac: itch as well
In4link2ad
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:37 pm 996/997 911? It has a new driving experience, appreciates, has a back seat, appreciated by most car enthusiasts and :tits:
I’m in to the 997 but I thought they still hovered at like $50k+ for dece ones? I should look.

996 isn’t it for me, kind of feels like a slower :poorvette: to me, not so much an upgrade.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

The cheapest manual 997 I found on CG was a non S 2006 in silver for $40k

I haven't watched this video but maybe it's worth the 20min
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:03 pm The cheapest manual 997 I found on CG was a non S 2006 in silver for $40k

I haven't watched this video but maybe it's worth the 20min
Yeah that’s a lot of dough for poverty spec.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

New 86/thread
Or if you want to stretch budget even further M2
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CTR.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 pm New 86/thread
New 86 was gonna be my suggest, as well.

Used Supra's cheap enough yet?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:36 pmCTR.
I have wanted one for a few years now. :nice: suggestion. That’s one I’d consider abandoning RWD for.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:43 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:30 pm New 86/thread

I am intrigued with the 86...

Supra... no manual no care. I’d rather have an M2, same car, but manual and cheaper, plus a little more daily friendly.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap

D Griff wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:02 pm
wap wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 9:43 pm

I am intrigued with the 86...

Supra... no manual no care. I’d rather have an M2, same car, but manual and cheaper, plus a little more daily friendly.
:word:
The bigger engined 1er?
wap

coogles wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:11 pm 135i?

For example:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... hare_other
Yea. :dat: one.
max225

What about Elise ?
And or perhaps an actual track car or one that has been prepped as such
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

[user not found] wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:50 pm I really struggle to find anything else that would scratch Griff’s itch as well as a C5, other than a C6.

Cheap consumables, reliable V8, cheap insurance. Anything else won’t give the same balance of Scroogeability, power, and trackability.

Older cheaper P-car stuff is great until you factor in the price of parts, which is not cheap.

Same with BMWs.

CTR would get my vote, I think. I’d love to experience one. Or new BRZ.

But curious to see where this goes.
:dat:
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:53 pm What about Elise ?
Quoting this as it relates, but I am reopening this car search can of worms.

I've been discussing with :tits: and she is actually pretty on board with me getting something else/OK with spending some dough if desired. That said I am really struggling with finding something I want and can afford. She actually was rather encouraging that I get a sports car and not something more compromised. She knows this is what I enjoy and thinks that I should worry about family type doodies if/when that comes but there's nothing wrong with another sports car even if it winds up going away in a year or two or requiring some other type of DD in addition. Cool.

What I really want, I think, is a Lotus.... but this is where it gets difficult. A year ago, one could buy an Evora for $40K. The cheapest one east of the Mississippi is now nearly $60K. Elises used to be $30K and now there are very few for sale, and they're listed at $40K. I suppose I could spend $40K but it is a lot of money and I think I'd only be willing to pay that for a car I'm in love with. I don't think an Elise is it. If I had a large garage and was going to have three cars, I'd probably get one. I want one car and I think an Elise would get sort of shitty pretty fast.

Porsche Boxster is really the answer here, but the more I think about it, the more I just don't want a Porsche. They are great, but my reasons are basically like Zilch's in his thread. They are a dime a dozen, mostly driven by douche bags, and as much as I wish I wanted one, I just kinda don't.

I do like the new 86 idea... but that is really a car I would lose my ass on. I can't really see paying $35K for one to then have it be worth $15K in four years.

I am thinking of just going for an S2000. I've always wanted one, may as well check it off the list while I can still afford one. I always wanted a Lotus and an NSX and it seems like I've now missed my chance.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:45 pm

I've been discussing with :tits: and she is actually pretty on board with me getting something else/OK with spending some dough if desired. That said I am really struggling with finding something I want and can afford. She actually was rather encouraging that I get a sports car and not something more compromised. She knows this is what I enjoy and thinks that I should worry about family type doodies if/when that comes but there's nothing wrong with another sports car even if it winds up going away in a year or two or requiring some other type of DD in addition. Cool.

What I really want, I think, is a Lotus.... but this is where it gets difficult. A year ago, one could buy an Evora for $40K. The cheapest one east of the Mississippi is now nearly $60K. Elises used to be $30K and now there are very few for sale, and they're listed at $40K. I suppose I could spend $40K but it is a lot of money and I think I'd only be willing to pay that for a car I'm in love with. I don't think an Elise is it. If I had a large garage and was going to have three cars, I'd probably get one. I want one car and I think an Elise would get sort of shitty pretty fast.

Porsche Boxster is really the answer here, but the more I think about it, the more I just don't want a Porsche. They are great, but my reasons are basically like Zilch's in his thread. They are a dime a dozen, mostly driven by douche bags, and as much as I wish I wanted one, I just kinda don't.

I do like the new 86 idea... but that is really a car I would lose my ass on. I can't really see paying $35K for one to then have it be worth $15K in four years.

I am thinking of just going for an S2000. I've always wanted one, may as well check it off the list while I can still afford one. I always wanted a Lotus and an NSX and it seems like I've now missed my chance.
:nice:

If you fit in the S2K, you might as well just check it off the list while you can if they're not :fullretard: price yet. I'm not sure anything else exists really.

A Z4 roadster would be :neat: too :doe:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:59 pm

If you fit in the S2K, you might as well just check it off the list while you can if they're not :fullretard: price yet. I'm not sure anything else exists really.

Z4 M roadster is basically the same price as the S2k

https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... m-roadster
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:59 pm

Shit, I didn't realize Ms were that cheap. I find that far more appealing than an S2K personally.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I feel this way too dude, but what about a 50% depreciated FRS/BRZ/86?
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm

Shit, I didn't realize Ms were that cheap. I find that far more appealing than an S2K personally.
The reason being the lovely POS S54 motor