Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:41 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:01 pm

:lol:
I mean, there are so many hot hatches that are so much less ugly than this (sorry Griff).
Although :notwrong: , I think it looks kind of bad-ass in a JDM way, I :member: JDM-yo lyfe. I had a :jimp: 1990 240SX in college, which was a legit nice body style until it got rear ended and written off. But boxy CRXs, Integras, WRXs with big hood scoops were all cool.
That’s because all of the vehicles you listed are far less gaudy. They don’t have double fake rear spoilers, and body kits that don’t even go all the way around the rear wheels. Not to mention fake vents galore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:02 am

Although :notwrong: , I think it looks kind of bad-ass in a JDM way, I :member: JDM-yo lyfe. I had a :jimp: 1990 240SX in college, which was a legit nice body style until it got rear ended and written off. But boxy CRXs, Integras, WRXs with big hood scoops were all cool.
That’s because all of the vehicles you listed are far less gaudy. They don’t have double fake rear spoilers, and body kits that don’t even go all the way around the rear wheels. Not to mention fake vents galore.
I still like the CTR, fake vents, spoiler and all, but not enough to own one. Nonetheless, they will probably not depreciate as quickly as some of the other hot hatches IMO.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

The bad thing about the hot hatch/sport compact segment for Griff is they all seem to need something for track duty if you want to do more than 2 or 3 laps in a row. STi has cooling issues and needs at least an AOS and oil pickup, CTR has well-documented cooling issues, Focus RS rear diff likes to overheat, GTI and GoRf can't manage oil temps on the track after a few laps. That's just what happens when you take a street car and expect it to do racecar things, I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:32 am The bad thing about the hot hatch/sport compact segment for Griff is they all seem to need something for track duty if you want to do more than 2 or 3 laps in a row. STi has cooling issues and needs at least an AOS and oil pickup, CTR has well-documented cooling issues, Focus RS rear diff likes to overheat, GTI and GoRf can't manage oil temps on the track after a few laps. That's just what happens when you take a street car and expect it to do racecar things, I guess.
The thing is, this isn't limited to hot hatches, just about any car, even those that are allegedly designed for track duty, end up having cooling problems or the like if you actually track them. You just have to go into it planning to do those things.

Miatas need rollover protection among other things, most every generation of Corvette needs some cooling help, and those are two of the best track platforms (street car wise). IIRC the CTR issues are mostly solved with a different front grill.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:24 am The CTR is a pretty :neat: choice, and the only thing that truly bothers me are the wheels. They look silly.

I’d rather do a set of 18 or 19” wheels. They look so much better with a little more rubber.
Yeah the wheels are HIDEOUS, I hate the size and style. I otherwise love the look. I also had a Civic for 5-6 years, modded it, autoxed it, read Superstreet/went to Hot Import Nights in high school and college. JDM, yo/Honda fanboism has been my thing for a very long time. I feel like 2010-2017 or so Honda really sucked and so my give a damn died down, the CTR really spoked it back up.

I almost want to just go :doit:

Maybe after my :eeyore: comments yesterday, I will actually go test drive some things.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

:dat:
I think I'm just the :wrong: age demographic to have gotten into 90's JDM stuff. :ohwell:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:28 am

:dat:
I think I'm just the :wrong: age demographic to have gotten into 90's JDM stuff. :ohwell:
:dat: I will acknowledge that the CTR is objectively... a bit much? I love it but 100% understand why others don't. Particularly if you're a German car guy, kind of opposite thinking.

I enjoy flashy things :doe: ... I mean, I paid $300 for this custom paint on my bicycle for example.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

:dat: is pretty cool, can't lie.
max225

No idea how a cool bike has anything to do with fake spoilers but I do like the bike a lot! :nice:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:48 pm No idea how a cool bike has anything to do with fake spoilers but I do like the bike a lot! :nice:
:iono: I just like a bit of flash is the point, the big wangs and stuff are fun to me. I like bright clothes/shoes/hats as well. Some like a more subdued look i.e. :gorf: which I think is a boring looking car (no offense to the owners here). Great machine but looks like a Golf.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:10 pm
max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:48 pm No idea how a cool bike has anything to do with fake spoilers but I do like the bike a lot! :nice:
:iono: I just like a bit of flash is the point, the big wangs and stuff are fun to me. I like bright clothes/shoes/hats as well. Some like a more subdued look i.e. :gorf: which I think is a boring looking car (no offense to the owners here). Great machine but looks like a Golf.
Bright paint colors alone can mean the difference between a boring looking car and a fun looking car. The CT looks way better than it should, entirely due to the paint color. If it were white, black, silver, or gray it would be such a snoozefest. It's already bad enough.

Granted, that's only the case for certain people. I too prefer color...any bright color, the bolder the better. I wore a neon pink mask out on Saturday because a friend brought it for the wife and it was way too big. I've never seen a mask so big, it was perfect for me and very comfortable.

The attention I got from it was crazy, but I guess there aren't many 6'5" 240 lb jesus hair dudes wearing neon pink masks in Northern MI. Dudes were all :howdareu: , but chicks were all :muah: :zing:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:24 pm

Bright paint colors alone can mean the difference between a boring looking car and a fun looking car. The CT looks way better than it should, entirely due to the paint color. If it were white, black, silver, or gray it would be such a snoozefest. It's already bad enough.

Granted, that's only the case for certain people. I too prefer color...any bright color, the bolder the better. I wore a neon pink mask out on Saturday because a friend brought it for the wife and it was way too big. I've never seen a mask so big, it was perfect for me and very comfortable.

The attention I got from it was crazy, but I guess there aren't many 6'5" 240 lb jesus hair dudes wearing neon pink masks in Northern MI. Dudes were all :howdareu: , but chicks were all :muah: :zing:
In4threesome stories. Pink mask is the antithesis of Cadillac ATS :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:49 pm

In4threesome stories. Pink mask is the antithesis of Cadillac ATS :lolol:
I hope to pull that off one day, but the jury is out if the neon pink mask makes them think I'm gay :doe: ...peacocking to this level is a really fine line.

We still keep strangers at a distance when we encounter them in public, so it'll be some time I suspect before they can learn the true :dedong: behind the neon pink mask.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:57 pm
I hope to pull that off one day, but the jury is out if the neon pink mask makes them think I'm gay :doe: ...peacocking to this level is a really fine line.

We still keep strangers at a distance when we encounter them in public, so it'll be some time I suspect before they can learn the true :dedong: behind the neon pink mask.
#keepthegayaway

Hey, if it means people leave you the fuck alone, all the better.
I live in an area where people move when they want to social distance for life. It's awesome.
max225

Took this pic for you yesterday boo
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:52 pm I really like the Gray/blue/green color like Max's Brocoma

Tarspin wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:21 pm
wap wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:04 pm That's a 5/7 color. Imagine how good it would look on a not-ugly car.
Ugly is the new black

The Type R looks like the product of forbidden love between the VW Thing and the Pontiac Aztek....

Shoulda Called it the Honda ThAng.....
wap

:notbad:
max225

Here is a hype R factoid ... Japanese car made in the UK with an American motor. Mr worldwide’s ride
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:30 pm

Took this pic for you yesterday boo
:wub:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

No offense taken, everyone knows that it is the cuck-hatch of the segment. A smurf blue RS has the nicest exterior and is the most exciting to drive. It seems perfect if you don't mind the suspension harshness.

I'm thinking about tuning mine right around the time it is deemed worthless. It has been a great commuter car thus far and is proving to be somewhat reliable. It could see an easy 50 - 80 :horse: powah, which might make it legit fast.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:19 am

No offense taken, everyone knows that it is the cuck-hatch of the segment. A smurf blue RS has the nicest exterior and is the most exciting to drive. It seems perfect if you don't mind the suspension harshness.

I'm thinking about tuning mine right around the time it is deemed worthless. It has been a great commuter car thus far and is proving to be somewhat reliable. It could see an easy 50 - 80 :horse: powah, which might make it legit fast.
I believe Paul and Dustin have both t00ned with no issues and they are reportedly very fast with tune. I have also met guys at track events both stock and tuned who seem to have no issues but the tune guys definitely said it is next level.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

And I agree, the focus RS is compelling. For me I think it kind of rules the Evo out when they are the same price. The RS does everything better performance wise but isn’t a total shitbox and getting something 10 years newer is appealing.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:00 am And I agree, the focus RS is compelling. For me I think it kind of rules the Evo out when they are the same price. The RS does everything better performance wise but isn’t a total shitbox and getting something 10 years newer is appealing.
It was my fav of the “hot hatches” minus the ride quality. What do they run for these days ? They were about 28-32k 2 years ago with 20-30k miles
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:03 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:00 am And I agree, the focus RS is compelling. For me I think it kind of rules the Evo out when they are the same price. The RS does everything better performance wise but isn’t a total shitbox and getting something 10 years newer is appealing.
It was my fav of the “hot hatches” minus the ride quality. What do they run for these days ? They were about 28-32k 2 years ago with 20-30k miles
Basically the same from what I've seen, or slightly lower. Mid to high twenties for a pretty nice one, 30ish for sub 20K miles.

I should try one out, I don't think the ride would bother me all that much after being a C5 man for seven years, but I have heard it is really bad. I should go dig up your comparison write up, I remember reading it a couple years ago and it was quite detailed/helpful.