Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm Fuck :doe: , this is appealing https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
Grayscale, doe. :trollface:
It wouldn't be my first choice, but that is $10K off for 5k miles.

Also, it's a cooler grey to me and a much more... interesting ( :lolol: ) looking car. Grey GTI just blends in to the mass of Teslas, Rage4s, CRVs, CX5s, etc. that everyone here drives. I pretty much regretted not holding out for Tornado Red from like day 6 on with my :mk6:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:56 pm
coogles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:53 pm

Grayscale, doe. :trollface:

Also, it's a cooler grey to me and a much more... interesting ( :lolol: ) looking car. Grey GTI just blends in to the mass of Teslas, Rage4s, CRVs, CX5s, etc. that everyone here drives. I pretty much regretted not holding out for Tornado Red from like day 6 on with my :mk6:
It's not dissimilar to the shade of gray on the Rabbit Edition, but the styling is what it is. :iono:

Urano looks really :neat: in the sun, IMO.

Last edited by coogles on Wed May 12, 2021 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm Fuck :doe: , this is appealing https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
:doit:

It’s not that far from me… :dock:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

This seems too cheap :notsure:

@jcw I am not sure what to tell you. There are a few differences that make it nicer than the S. But they also provide downsides. The bigger brakes are a huge nuisance. There are nearly no wheel choices for jcw because of it. Also I feel like the mini needs to be on 16”s or at most 17”s. Most jcws roll on 18”s which is stupid imo.

You can factory “tune” the S to make close to jcw power. But you got to think of the incremental costs of all that too.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:05 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:56 pm

It's not dissimilar to the shade of gray on the Rabbit Edition, but the styling is what it is. :iono:

Urano looks really :neat: in the sun, IMO.
:dat: looks really good.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm

@jcw I am not sure what to tell you. There are a few differences that make it nicer than the S. But they also provide downsides. The bigger brakes are a huge nuisance. There are nearly no wheel choices for jcw because of it. Also I feel like the mini needs to be on 16”s or at most 17”s. Most jcws roll on 18”s which is stupid imo.

You can factory “tune” the S to make close to jcw power. But you got to think of the incremental costs of all that too.
Yep, I had the same concern re: type R.

Tune is like $500, the price diff is $10K :lolol: Great info, thanks! Good call on the smaller wheels. :megusta: some small wheels/tall :meat: s.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Follow up question - anything to look out for on F series MINIs? Like should 2014s be avoided?

It is a strange market here in that almost every MINI is being sold bey Carvana, they have dozens but there are none at local :dillerman: to come in for a test drive.

This 'justaCooper' https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WMWXM5C5 ... tner=VSN_0 appears to be the only one local to me... I would much rather drive an S at least, I feel like this will be kinda meh.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 2:13 pm

Follow up question - anything to look out for on F series MINIs? Like should 2014s be avoided?

It is a strange market here in that almost every MINI is being sold bey Carvana, they have dozens but there are none at local :dillerman: to come in for a test drive.

This 'justaCooper' https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/WMWXM5C5 ... tner=VSN_0 appears to be the only one local to me... I would much rather drive an S at least, I feel like this will be kinda meh.
Yea the I3 is sort of lame ... it’s fine for a DD but no fun. Honestly even the jcw version is just about “almost too slow”. There also shouldn’t be any sort of 10k difference between the models. 2/3k extra for a jcw is “normal” as that’s how much extra it is new.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:31 pm

Yea the I3 is sort of lame ... it’s fine for a DD but no fun. Honestly even the jcw version is just about “almost too slow”. There also shouldn’t be any sort of 10k difference between the models. 2/3k extra for a jcw is “normal” as that’s how much extra it is new.
You are saying your car is not quick enough?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

JCW - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1659260 ... n=referral
S - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1761477 ... n=referral

We are both :wrong: , $5K difference.

:iono: seems like maybe the JCW is worth it at that point. More power, better brakes, cooler seats.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 3:53 pm
You are saying your car is not quick enough?
I clearly stated “almost too slow”. It’s not a fast car but it isn’t slow either.
max225

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:22 pm
JCW - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1659260 ... n=referral
S - https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1761477 ... n=referral

We are both :wrong: , $5K difference.

:iono: seems like maybe the JCW is worth it at that point. More power, better brakes, cooler seats.
They are rare cars ... so no two are alike etc. msrp to msrp delta is like 5-6k but the jcw has more stiff standard like the LED headlights which are a must.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I don’t think the F56S is the answer but maybe I’m wrong. In4drives.

I still like the CTR idea. My STI depreciated $5k over 4 years. CTRs hood value better because there are fewer of them.
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:38 pm I don’t think the F56S is the answer but maybe I’m wrong. In4drives.

I still like the CTR idea. My STI depreciated $5k over 4 years. CTRs hood value better because there are fewer of them.
A ctr is a little quicker and a lot more practical at 2x the cost. But it will also likely depreciate less as the F gen minis are going to be 5-10k in 2 years
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:14 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:38 pm I don’t think the F56S is the answer but maybe I’m wrong. In4drives.

Also fanboi status.

I was talking with one of the bros that’s bought parts from MMWX and he had a CTR at one point, and was debating getting another. He said the biggest negative was the attention it got driving around; everyone wanted to race him.

And this is a dude who drives an orange Porsche 718 GT4 and a Raptor.
It is a shame you can't just order a Civic Hatch with the CTR internals, but that's not the way the world works these days. The car IS too flamboyant for its performance. But FFS its the last chance to get what was everywhere in the 90s, a reliable manual japanese car that handled well and went pretty quick.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

max225 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm It seems like a ctr or bust scenario for me here also. None of the other cars make sense they are compromises and will lead to more :plac: time
To fight with the :tits: to see who wears the pants in the house
:dat:

Get what you really want so you can avoid having to :plac: whatever compromise you go with soon after. I went through the same thing with the Type R by buying my mk7 as a compromise, thinking I'd be okay with it long term.

Yeah it's $40k, but it will probably still be worth $35k in three or four years.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

:gag:

Also :lolol: at them buying that car and slapping wal-mart spec tires on it.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
max225

Hey look it’s your standard used civic
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

HerrBerlin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm It seems like a ctr or bust scenario for me here also. None of the other cars make sense they are compromises and will lead to more :plac: time
To fight with the :tits: to see who wears the pants in the house
:dat:

Get what you really want so you can avoid having to :plac: whatever compromise you go with soon after. I went through the same thing with the Type R by buying my mk7 as a compromise, thinking I'd be okay with it long term.

Yeah it's $40k, but it will probably still be worth $35k in three or four years.
Yeah this is why I'm kind of ignoring the GTI suggestions. I had a GTI. It truly is a great car, it does everything well, but I just never really loved it and I don't think I'm going to start.

It's funny about Desert and others saying the Type R is too flamboyant, and that is exactly why a GTI just doesn't do it for me, it isn't flamboyant enough. I am a bit of a flamboyant dude, I think the C5 has lasted so long for me because it offers quite a bit of drama.

The Type R drives well, is practical and also kind of outrageous, which is cool to me. A neon green Civic Si is at least fun to look at and still drives well. Minis are unique and fun and still somewhat practical.

This is a blanket statement but many German cars are just too staid for my tastes, I found both my GTI and 328i boring, neither were bad cars in any way and I objectively like a lot about them, but they just don't get me excited.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I am in a weird spot here because I think the MINIs are really cool and the wife would be in support of them... but the fact of the matter is, it's actually a more costly car and not as good as the R. The other fact of the matter is, I'm not paying $40K for a used Civic or $45K for a new one, just kind of an annoying place to be in.

She said we can sit down and discuss the budget this weekend or sometime soon so we'll see. I'm just kind of dreading the conversation to be honest, I am a shit communicator and don't always handle these things well, which is funny given my profession is sales.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Griff should get a 400Z