Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:05 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 am Also Griff, where did you appraise the C5 for dat $8,600? Fwiw Before selling the GTI, I tried vroom, carvana, and some Honda dealership to appraise and they all did not touch what I've got for carmax. Even with :rimz: and sprangs (everything else back to stock), carmax wanted $9,000. Carvana, vroom wanted atleast $1,400 less than that and the honda dealer wanted $7,900.
:word: if I :doit: I will shop around on all of them.
I should also mention for COVID reasons, carmax don't even bother touching the car. They ask you to start the engine, pop the hood and all the doors. That's it. Then off the computer they go to do :math: and find your appraisal.

Also while waiting for it, I did spend a good amount of time on the parking lot, but did not find anything interesting for a test drive....
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:06 pm I mean, for an old person's weekend car/daily, the clutch is probably fine forever... for track use/hard driving... it's a no-go.
An old person wants a cream puff, they have no interest in your car. But agreed, it would last forever.

The only people interested in your car want #trackdaybro and they will be testing the clutch on a test drive.

Dump it for 8,600 without lifting a finger and be done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am
D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:06 pm I mean, for an old person's weekend car/daily, the clutch is probably fine forever... for track use/hard driving... it's a no-go.
An old person wants a cream puff, they have no interest in your car. But agreed, it would last forever.

The only people interested in your car want #trackdaybro and they will be testing the clutch on a test drive.

:dat:

Drive it easy around town for a few days to break through the glaze if you want to be extra safe.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

4zilch wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:34 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:53 am

:dat:

Drive it easy around town for a few days to break through the glaze if you want to be extra safe.
Been using it, it's perfectly fine for light street driving, no clutch issues since the track. Took it this morning about 50 miles round trip to take the :doge: on a hike and will likely take it 120 miles to get my second shot Friyay. I am still far partial to driving it over the :jeep:

As for updates... there are none :hibachi: I haven't yet found the motivation to :dill: with :dillerman:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:hibachi: update:

I found a :dillerman: an hour from here that has a CTR, FoRS, and M240i in stock. Going in for test drives on Tuesday.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:09 pm :hibachi: update:

I found a :dillerman: an hour from here that has a CTR, FoRS, and M240i in stock. Going in for test drives on Tuesday.
Lordy. Don't let the 240i scare you away from the M2 though. I'd wager it'll feel closer to your 328 than it will a M2

I'll be in town Tuesday :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:23 pm

Lordy. Don't let the 240i scare you away from the M2 though. I'd wager it'll feel closer to your 328 than it will a M2

:hue:

Yeah the BMW is an auto, so maybe I should just skip it. We shall see how long things are taking I guess.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Mainly this will be a FoRS versus Hype R showdown and a "can I really do a hot hatch?' experiment.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

:amazing:
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:34 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:23 pm

:hue:

Yeah the BMW is an auto, so maybe I should just skip it. We shall see how long things are taking I guess.
I'll come low ball the ever living shit out of these cars and kick the tires so they take whatever you feel like offering.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

What :dillerman: is this? One carman near me had something similar to this, which is how I ended up driving the FORS and STI back to back
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm

What :dillerman: is this? One carman near me had something similar to this, which is how I ended up driving the FORS and STI back to back
https://www.jerryhuntsupercenter.com/
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:20 pm
max225 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:09 pm

In4HypeR impressions.

Dang. 52k miles and $5,000 dollhairs off MSRP. That's a :dill: if I ever saw one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:28 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:20 pm

In4HypeR impressions.

Dang. 52k miles and $5,000 dollhairs off MSRP. That's a :dill: if I ever saw one.
Yeah I think I'd shoot for buying new if I :doit: But I'd rather test drive a used one.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Both of those cars are hot, mang.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:28 pm

In4HypeR impressions.

Yeah I think I'd shoot for buying new if I :doit: But I'd rather test drive a used one.
Absolutely. At least you shouldn't have issues test driving this one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:34 pm

Absolutely. At least you shouldn't have issues test driving this one.
When I asked how long I'd be there to test drive the cars, she said "depends how long you want to drive them" so hopefully that's a good sign.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

So I tire kicked a Hype R today at lunch.

CarMax COVID :dillerman: experience is 5/7. Show up, hand over license/insurance info, they bring the car up, you take it out solo for 30 minutes.

The Hype R is quite good.

Pros:
1. Awesome "feel" ... the shifting, brakes, steering, etc. feel very nice and sporty/racey, none of the numbness I've experienced in many newer cars like my BMW, GTI, and others.
2. It is quite quick, I'd say more or less on par with the C5. It pulls hard and the gearing is a lot shorter than what I've become used to which is :megusta:
3. I love the seats, the interior overall is very nice to me, as someone used to poverty spec.
4. I love the exterior looks.
5. Ride quality is :impressive: for what it is, it's a car that feels comfy and nice, "just a Civic" in a good way if you're not getting on it
6. It actually sounds good to my ear
7. No understeer that I could induce, it handles very well and is extremely balanced.

Cons:
1. :dillerman: mark up :disgust:
2. Stereo kind of sounds like shit
3. After seven years in a natty V8, turbo 4 is just :dedong: despite being quite fast

Overall, I really love this car and could see buying one. I need to find some others to test drive, hopefully CarMax gets more of what I'm after locally, as that was a great experience.
max225

I think you used the wrong dick emoji.

I thought the stereo was decent I wonder if someone fucked up the settings... did yours have a volume knob it the infamous slider ?
Last edited by max225 on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:18 pm I think you used the wrong dick emoji
Yeah, that confused me as well. :iono:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:59 pm So I tire kicked a Hype R today at lunch.

CarMax COVID :dillerman: experience is 5/7. Show up, hand over license/insurance info, they bring the car up, you take it out solo for 30 minutes.

The Hype R is quite good.

Pros:
1. Awesome "feel" ... the shifting, brakes, steering, etc. feel very nice and sporty/racey, none of the numbness I've experienced in many newer cars like my BMW, GTI, and others.
2. It is quite quick, I'd say more or less on par with the C5. It pulls hard and the gearing is a lot shorter than what I've become used to which is :megusta:
3. I love the seats, the interior overall is very nice to me, as someone used to poverty spec.
4. I love the exterior looks.
5. Ride quality is :impressive: for what it is, it's a car that feels comfy and nice, "just a Civic" in a good way if you're not getting on it
6. It actually sounds good to my ear
7. No understeer that I could induce, it handles very well and is extremely balanced.

Cons:
1. :dillerman: mark up :disgust:
2. Stereo kind of sounds like shit
3. After seven years in a natty V8, turbo 4 is just :dedong: despite being quite fast

Overall, I really love this car and could see buying one. I need to find some others to test drive, hopefully CarMax gets more of what I'm after locally, as that was a great experience.
:nice:

They are good. I thought the stereo was decent in the 2019 I drove, but I also didn't screw around with it much.
max225

Also I don’t think I ever though that the civic was as quick as a C5 it felt quite a bit slower.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 pm Also I don’t think I ever though that the civic was as quick as a C5 it felt quite a bit slower.
As noted above, I meant to do :flaccid: not :dedong:

:iono: it is pretty quick, I think a race to 60 would be close. I think the C5 would likely obliterate in the top end.

Interesting that y'all thought the stereo was decent, it definitely sounded worse than the :jeep: and :poorvette: to me, could be the settings were :wtf: , it won't let you change that without the parking brake on, so I didn't really look. It isn't offensive or anything, I would :dealwithit: , just sort of underwhelming for a $40K car.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:52 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:25 pm Also I don’t think I ever though that the civic was as quick as a C5 it felt quite a bit slower.
As noted above, I meant to do :flaccid: not :dedong:

:iono: it is pretty quick, I think a race to 60 would be close. I think the C5 would likely obliterate in the top end.

Interesting that y'all thought the stereo was decent, it definitely sounded worse than the :jeep: and :poorvette: to me, could be the settings were :wtf: , it won't let you change that without the parking brake on, so I didn't really look. It isn't offensive or anything, I would :dealwithit: , just sort of underwhelming for a $40K car.
12 speakers a sub and 540 watts. The base sport civic stereo is 4 speakers of poverty... the R is fully decked out. Nothing poverty about it other than the hideous rear seats
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

But even being pretty quick... turbos are just meh. You roll onto the throttle in a corner and nothing happens momentarily then there is a huge surge. I'm sure I'd readjust to this, but nothing can really compare to a V8.