Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:58 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm
BeeBeep will likely hold its value better than anything else. That's where you park the cash IMO.

I just got a Carvana offer for our JL yesterday for shitsngigs, $38k! We paid $40k for it 1.5 years ago. Having my cash tied up in that was probably one of the best inflation hedges I could have done.
I can't get an offer on my Taco... I guess it is "too new"
You just get an error or what?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:58 pm

I can't get an offer on my Taco... I guess it is "too new"
I need to call them or message them after creating an account to get an offer from a "appraisal expert"
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm
I need to call them or message them after creating an account to get an offer from a "appraisal expert"
:butwhy:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:31 pm You just get an error or what?
Same thing happened with my car.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:43 pm Or if there’s free financing available, take that and pay off Beep Beep with the Franklins.
There is no financing specials on the Hype R. Just like on the TRD pro. They were excluded from 0/0.9/1.9/2.9% financing every time I looked.
Credit Unions always have 1.9/2.9
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:07 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm

There is no financing specials on the Hype R. Just like on the TRD pro. They were excluded from 0/0.9/1.9/2.9% financing every time I looked.
Credit Unions always have 1.9/2.9
I was just pointing to oem offers. I would have loved a 0% stretch pay vs parking 53k in cash in a pointless soggy taco
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm
max225 wrote:
Same thing happened with my car.
I guess they’re :notsure: on :fancy: Toyotas... weird as a Taco or 86 are both pretty common cars.

They offered me $8600 for the C5 a few weeks ago, should probably just take that. Anyone pay attention to the C5 market recently?
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:39 am
troyguitar wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:56 pm Same thing happened with my car.
I guess they’re :notsure: on :fancy: Toyotas... weird as a Taco or 86 are both pretty common cars.

They offered me $8600 for the C5 a few weeks ago, should probably just take that. Anyone pay attention to the C5 market recently?
No, but doing absolutely nothing and getting 8,600 for it is tempting IMO. Not sure it's worth much over $10k.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:39 am

No, but doing absolutely nothing and getting 8,600 for it is tempting IMO. Not sure it's worth much over $10k.
:dat: is my thought, especially with whiny diff, meh clutch, 120k miles.

I could sell the extra targa, seats, etc and make back another $1k+ as well I’m sure.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 am
Detroit wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:25 am

I could sell the extra targa, seats, etc and make back another $1k+ as well I’m sure.
Oh you selling those 50th seats? :howdy:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:08 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:30 am

Oh you selling those 50th seats? :howdy:
Nah they will go back in the car to sell it most likely. Unless I meet a track day bro person wanting my car.
max225

I would think any :manuel: C5 is 5 figures. I wouldn’t take under 10 tbh
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: An Okinowa Cruiseship
Location: 6 miles north of Sleepy Joes House & 5 miles from Bosphorus Channel

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:43 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:18 pm

I find it ironic that you went to an eatery even though you claim to lead life by Covid avoidance example. :lol: Haven't been inside a restaurant for 8 months here.
First time in a year at a local restaurant was last week for lunch. We have ordered takeout from time to time. I don't have a problem going to certain restaurants in Mexico. Mexico has, BY FAR, taken a way more proactive approach to restaurant dining than the U.S. Every restaurant (decent ones, not supah low rent) has a COVID solution shoe bath and takes your temperature, no exceptions. 70% also have pulse oximeters. In addition, I only go to ones featuring outside/open window dining and LOW CROWDS. That means weekday dining. Mexicans ain't got no time for bitching about government overreach,
QANON plots, conspiracy theories and "muh rights" stuff, they just get on it and try to stay safe.
Im just reading this entire thread so I figured I'd chime in.

Since I've been in Turkey for a year now, and been in the US for a month, restaurant wise, I have noticed differences. I have a friend that recently went to Cancun and she was :mindblown: with the precautions. Which was roughly the same.

Only a very few restaurants in NoVa (mind you we ate in outdoor tents and only went inside the building for take-out) took temps. In Turkey, it is EVERY FUCKING restaurant, even fast food that checks your temp. We even closed dining in/dining at the restaurants for good 4 months once cold weather sets in until a few weeks ago. Also now, when you go inside malls, restaurants, you have to have an app that scans the QR code which indicates the state of corona, vaccinated, etc. and checks temp. Malls and other indoor places have done that since October. Also you get fined for $400 for not wearing a mask in public when caught, which :triggered: a lot of :amir: tourists, one dude started a fight with the cops for it and now in jail for god knows how long.

Also what baffles me other than freedom bullshit, our sidewalks are not as wide enough, our markets are not large enough compared to costco in the US and social distancing here is soo freaking easy compared to Turkey and yet, we are nowhere near as close to some european countries.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:42 pm Best BMW I have ever driven was a 135i, but I've never driven any real M car, just a bunch of regular 3 series and a couple Zs. They were all pretty meh outside of the 135i.
:dat: my mom used to own a f10 535i, I remember driving a 328i loaner luxury trim, I can definitely say if I drove blindfolded, I wouldn't even think it's a BMW. the f10 feels more sportier, less looser (especially in steering) than the 328i, but probably has to do with wider tires as well. Also loaner x3 (second gen?) was quite nice, feels fairly tight. The g30 (current 5 series) 520i I rented in Turkey felt like a Camry. Feels somehow good on the highway, but not that close to my GTI. Also BMW modes are either too soft or tries to hard, there's no middle ground.
Nephew of a :plac: a few first gen immigrant on DFD, resident turk, and ex nazi egg lover now driving a middle class mom mobile.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 am I would think any :manuel: C5 is 5 figures. I wouldn’t take under 10 tbh
Perhaps I’ll list it when we get home and just see what’s what. It’s still pretty clean and nice, it’s just an odd car to sell when there are hundreds available with 1/3 the mileage.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:42 pm Best BMW I have ever driven was a 135i, but I've never driven any real M car, just a bunch of regular 3 series and a couple Zs. They were all pretty meh outside of the 135i.
:dat: my mom used to own a f10 535i, I remember driving a 328i loaner luxury trim, I can definitely say if I drove blindfolded, I wouldn't even think it's a BMW. the f10 feels more sportier, less looser (especially in steering) than the 328i, but probably has to do with wider tires as well. Also loaner x3 (second gen?) was quite nice, feels fairly tight. The g30 (current 5 series) 520i I rented in Turkey felt like a Camry. Feels somehow good on the highway, but not that close to my GTI. Also BMW modes are either too soft or tries to hard, there's no middle ground.
Mine was nice in that there was no tomfoolery with the suspension. It was pretty decent in M Sport, the modes just changed throttle basically, so support all the time was nice. The one funny thing I remember is it wouldn’t allow you to use cruise control in Sport + so I just used regular Sport. :iono: it was definitely more fun than a basic Corolla or something but just overall far from the ultimate driving machine and while it was cool and unique to have a manual, the shifting experience just wasn’t that great.
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:16 pm
MexicanYarisTK wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:02 pm

Mine was nice in that there was no tomfoolery with the suspension. It was pretty decent in M Sport, the modes just changed throttle basically, so support all the time was nice. The one funny thing I remember is it wouldn’t allow you to use cruise control in Sport + so I just used regular Sport. :iono: it was definitely more fun than a basic Corolla or something but just overall far from the ultimate driving machine and while it was cool and unique to have a manual, the shifting experience just wasn’t that great.
This is why I'm always on the M-sport camp, the base 3 series basically sucks while the M sport is pretty good. Kinda weird that CC won't turned on at Sport + :doe: It basically degraded from older BMW's. I love e90's particularly for their steering wheel, made my Mk6's steering like I'm about to take it off. Never :stig: it so basically can't 100% tell if it lives up to it's quote.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:42 am I would think any :manuel: C5 is 5 figures. I wouldn’t take under 10 tbh
Its a six digit mileage car with some track time. It's not so much what you're getting for $10K, but what comparables are out there for $13K.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:16 pm
Its a six digit mileage car with some track time. It's not so much what you're getting for $10K, but what comparables are out there for $13K.
:dat: :dat: :dat:

There's tons of lower mile better condition cars for not a ton more. That's the challenge with the C5 market. The only people interested in Dan's car are trackdaybro types.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am
Desertbreh wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:16 pm

There's tons of lower mile better condition cars for not a ton more. That's the challenge with the C5 market. The only people interested in Dan's car are trackdaybro types.
:dat: ... and I could work really hard to find one to sell it to for $10K, or take $8600 or whatever and make $1400 selling the wheels/tires, seats, etc. I think the latter would be easier, there's a broader market.

Another way of looking at it... if I had a friend wanting to buy a C5 I couldn't really in good conscience sell them my car when you can get a Z0Sex with half the mileage for a few thousand more (particularly if factoring in $2K for a clutch job). I like the lack of accountability/ethical attachment to just selling it to "the man".
MexicanYarisTK
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Also Griff, where did you appraise the C5 for dat $8,600? Fwiw Before selling the GTI, I tried vroom, carvana, and some Honda dealership to appraise and they all did not touch what I've got for carmax. Even with :rimz: and sprangs (everything else back to stock), carmax wanted $9,000. Carvana, vroom wanted atleast $1,400 less than that and the honda dealer wanted $7,900.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 am
Detroit wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:36 am

:dat: ... and I could work really hard to find one to sell it to for $10K, or take $8600 or whatever and make $1400 selling the wheels/tires, seats, etc. I think the latter would be easier, there's a broader market.

Another way of looking at it... if I had a friend wanting to buy a C5 I couldn't really in good conscience sell them my car when you can get a Z0Sex with half the mileage for a few thousand more (particularly if factoring in $2K for a clutch job). I like the lack of accountability/ethical attachment to just selling it to "the man".
This is big for me. Any buyer interested in this thing will use the clutch as bargaining leverage, and unfortunately it's something you can't really hide if they know how to check for it on a test drive. Good luck getting 5 figures for a car that needs a clutch...especially a car that's notoriously expensive to do a clutch on.

Selling to Carvana or whatever, they'll just ship it off to auction and let it fly, then it's a dealer's problem when they want to post the "rare 50th anniversary edition" for $18k...their greed can pay for the clutch when a customer complains.

Pull everything worth anything separately off the car and off it for 8600...you should be able to make up $2k in parts alone.
max225

Um ok yea now that we’re talking about a busted clutch obviously 10k is not on the horizon, I’d take
The $8600 and run
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

MexicanYarisTK wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:06 am Also Griff, where did you appraise the C5 for dat $8,600? Fwiw Before selling the GTI, I tried vroom, carvana, and some Honda dealership to appraise and they all did not touch what I've got for carmax. Even with :rimz: and sprangs (everything else back to stock), carmax wanted $9,000. Carvana, vroom wanted atleast $1,400 less than that and the honda dealer wanted $7,900.
:word: if I :doit: I will shop around on all of them.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I mean, for an old person's weekend car/daily, the clutch is probably fine forever... for track use/hard driving... it's a no-go.