Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:59 pm
D Griff wrote:
:dat: is actually an advantage. If I wind up driving my own car for work travel some, it would be :nice: to put the bike inside and take it places without worrying about it sitting outside at a hotel or whatever.
FWIW my bike fits in the back of the mazda3 hatch without removing a wheel. Civic is waaaay bigger so even your MTB should fit inside.
It's more that I don't want to put my nasty mountain bike in my clean car.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:59 pm FWIW my bike fits in the back of the mazda3 hatch without removing a wheel. Civic is waaaay bigger so even your MTB should fit inside.
It's more that I don't want to put my nasty mountain bike in my clean car.
:word:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Arguably the last :fap: BMW released into the market before they go all electric or some shit.

So the question becomes roof rack or trailer hitch? I'd figure out how to throw a little hitch on this bitch so it could also pull track tars/camping gear.
Last edited by Tar on Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Lulz, first google image of an M2C with lowering springzzzz.

:excited: for the 235i test drive... figure out how to put it in race mode, :wasteful: took one for a spin and says it was probably in comfort and pretty subdued.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:01 am Lulz, first google image of an M2C with lowering springzzzz.

:excited: for the 235i test drive... figure out how to put it in race mode, :wasteful: took one for a spin and says it was probably in comfort and pretty subdued.
Yeah even my lowly 328i sucked in comfort mode. The throttle is totally unresponsive which is super awkward in a manual.

M2C is well out of budget, max for me is $40k I think with a preference towards less. Base M2 is maybe doable although I have heard from M2 Comp owners that the M235i is actually better than the base M2 and it’s $15k less. :iono:

2 series would definitely get a trailer hitch receiver. I already have the hitch rack and find that it’s more versatile and practical. I had a roof bike rack on my old Civic and while it looks awesome, in practice it cuts fuel economy in half and is a wind sail on the highway. I’m fine with it if it’s the only option but definitely not preferred. Also they are quite expensive, $500+ versus a hitch kit for like $100.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:16 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:01 am Lulz, first google image of an M2C with lowering springzzzz.

Yeah even my lowly 328i sucked in comfort mode. The throttle is totally unresponsive which is super awkward in a manual.

M2C is well out of budget, max for me is $40k I think with a preference towards less. Base M2 is maybe doable although I have heard from M2 Comp owners that the M235i is actually better than the base M2 and it’s $15k less. :iono:

2 series would definitely get a trailer hitch receiver. I already have the hitch rack and find that it’s more versatile and practical. I had a roof bike rack on my old Civic and while it looks awesome, in practice it cuts fuel economy in half and is a wind sail on the highway. I’m fine with it if it’s the only option but definitely not preferred. Also they are quite expensive, $500+ versus a hitch kit for like $100.
What?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:58 am

What?
Major :wtf:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:20 am

What?
Major :wtf:
M2 Comp guys protecting the high ground.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Having had a fake sport and a M car. The statement couldn’t be further from the truth. They are quite different vehicles. The only argument I can see against the early m2s is the motor being similar to the pedestrian 2 series. Which btw is fugly without the widebody
Apex
Drives: Abominable

M2s look sofa king nice. :megusta:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

What?
:iono: this is from Husbrand and Laguna Seca Balls who don't post here any more but we keep in touch. They own an M3 and an M2 Comp and have owned various other BMWs and are also both track instructors so I trust their opinion pretty highly. Evidently the M2 has a bunch more electronic tomfoolery that is great in the comp but lackluster in the base M2. The M235i is simpler and more enjoyable/worth the price.

I was surprised to hear this too, I've never driven any 2 series... EveryDay Driver also drove M235is on the Nurburgring numerous times and said they were fantastic.

I agree with Max that my Fakesport experience was pretty meh, the 328i was just not a very good driving car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Best BMW I have ever driven was a 135i, but I've never driven any real M car, just a bunch of regular 3 series and a couple Zs. They were all pretty meh outside of the 135i.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:11 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm

:dat: is actually an advantage. If I wind up driving my own car for work travel some, it would be :nice: to put the bike inside and take it places without worrying about it sitting outside at a hotel or whatever.
At 479 litres the Civic’s boot is about 100 litres larger than the VW Golf’s, and the opening of the hatch itself is giant, making loading big, bulky items a breeze. With a little fiddling I reckon you’d get a mountain bike in whole. Above you’ll see a large-framed 27.5-inch MTB fitting in beautifully. The only reason the front wheel is off is because I got impatient.
Not sure what patience has to do with a bike but here it is.
I could fit any of my bikes, even my 29" wheel mountain bike, inside the STI by putting the seats down in the same manner. Front wheel off is no biggie IMO.

Interested to hear Griff's take on the 235. I'm still a little annoyed I couldn't find a manual one to try out. It was pretty lame in automatic / comfort mode and I found the MK6 GTI much more fun.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:41 pm

What?
:iono: this is from Husbrand and Laguna Seca Balls who don't post here any more but we keep in touch. They own an M3 and an M2 Comp and have owned various other BMWs and are also both track instructors so I trust their opinion pretty highly. Evidently the M2 has a bunch more electronic tomfoolery that is great in the comp but lackluster in the base M2. The M235i is simpler and more enjoyable/worth the price.

I was surprised to hear this too, I've never driven any 2 series... EveryDay Driver also drove M235is on the Nurburgring numerous times and said they were fantastic.

I agree with Max that my Fakesport experience was pretty meh, the 328i was just not a very good driving car.
Interesting. Problem with the M235i though is that it doesn't look all that great. As the owner of a six cylinder non M BMW it just seems to me that it's gonna be too much like your last car. And while the track instructors may be bothered by electric nannies while they are sliding all over the place in a controlled environment, the rest of the time the "poverty" M2 is going to be superior, I would think. That said, obvious answer is obvious......M2 Comp.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:42 pm Best BMW I have ever driven was a 135i, but I've never driven any real M car, just a bunch of regular 3 series and a couple Zs. They were all pretty meh outside of the 135i.
You and Big Lou.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:23 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:41 pm

Interesting. Problem with the M235i though is that it doesn't look all that great. As the owner of a six cylinder non M BMW it just seems to me that it's gonna be too much like your last car. And while the track instructors may be bothered by electric nannies while they are sliding all over the place in a controlled environment, the rest of the time the "poverty" M2 is going to be superior, I would think. That said, obvious answer is obvious......M2 Comp.
Yep, M2 does look a lot better. :iono: I don't think I really want another BMW. I always wanted one, I love the design of the 3 series and on paper they are great but just felt very meh in the real world to me compared to... well any actual sporty cars. I'm sure the M cars are different but I don't think they really make sense for me as someone who wants to beat on my shit and have it be fairly easy and affordable to maintain. The M2 is the only one that may actually fit that bill somewhat, but the CTR / C6 just excite me more for whatever reason. I still think driving one would be interesting, maybe it is amazing. The auto journalists seem to all love the 2 series.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:23 pm

Yep, M2 does look a lot better. :iono: I don't think I really want another BMW. I always wanted one, I love the design of the 3 series and on paper they are great but just felt very meh in the real world to me compared to... well any actual sporty cars. I'm sure the M cars are different but I don't think they really make sense for me as someone who wants to beat on my shit and have it be fairly easy and affordable to maintain. The M2 is the only one that may actually fit that bill somewhat, but the CTR / C6 just excite me more for whatever reason. I still think driving one would be interesting, maybe it is amazing. The auto journalists seem to all love the 2 series.
I think the CTR makes the most sense. Other than the initial cash outlay, you have nothing to worry about, Honda parts prices/availablity + near 0 depreciation. What is not to love.

Given that they made 50k+ of these hype Rs already, parts should be fairly easily to come by as well.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm

Just bring the bike into the hotel room, brah.
I do/will but sometimes there could be multiple stops in a day or whatever. The option to throw it in the car is nice, especially if it’s the fancy bike.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:34 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:26 pm

I think the CTR makes the most sense. Other than the initial cash outlay, you have nothing to worry about, Honda parts prices/availablity + near 0 depreciation. What is not to love.

Given that they made 50k+ of these hype Rs already, parts should be fairly easily to come by as well.
:dat: I am excited to actually drive it. I think I’m fine with the $40k outlay, not excited with much higher than that. Actual ownershit costs should be somewhat reasonable. I may just buy whatever in depreciating cash, the CTR will probably hold value better than my Franklins in the bank.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Or if there’s free financing available, take that and pay off Beep Beep with the Franklins.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:43 pm Or if there’s free financing available, take that and pay off Beep Beep with the Franklins.
There is no financing specials on the Hype R. Just like on the TRD pro. They were excluded from 0/0.9/1.9/2.9% financing every time I looked.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:43 pm Or if there’s free financing available, take that and pay off Beep Beep with the Franklins.
BeeBeep will likely hold its value better than anything else. That's where you park the cash IMO.

I just got a Carvana offer for our JL yesterday for shitsngigs, $38k! We paid $40k for it 1.5 years ago. Having my cash tied up in that was probably one of the best inflation hedges I could have done.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm
There is no financing specials on the Hype R. Just like on the TRD pro. They were excluded from 0/0.9/1.9/2.9% financing every time I looked.
2.49% on new cars from my local credit union
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:47 pm
BeeBeep will likely hold its value better than anything else. That's where you park the cash IMO.

I just got a Carvana offer for our JL yesterday for shitsngigs, $38k! We paid $40k for it 1.5 years ago. Having my cash tied up in that was probably one of the best inflation hedges I could have done.
I can't get an offer on my Taco... I guess it is "too new"
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:45 pm
Beep Beep is at like 3.5% :doe: from different times (also $5K off MSRP so I'm not mad about it). The thing is probably worth what we paid pre-tax to this day which is funny, but a new equivalent is like $7K+ more than we paid. Also, unique color. We have piled on the miles though... 18K at the moment after driving it to FL on Saturday, but it's been parked since then, we've biked/walked everywhere here.