Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I know I know...... but practically brand new, in your neck of the woods and dat blue.....

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/KmvY4b ... gen-golf-r
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Irish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am I know I know...... but practically brand new, in your neck of the woods and dat blue.....

I think the 2018+ update is well worth it. The 2016 felt a generation older than the mk 7.5
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Irish wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 11:13 am I know I know...... but practically brand new, in your neck of the woods and dat blue.....

Stupid Driver Assistance Package. That sensor in the lower grill opening is terribad.

2016 Golf R was the end of an era, when you could get a Golf R without all of the safety bullshit like front assist, BSM, adaptive cruise and the like. Too bad that isn't one.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So as an update... I talked things over with :tits: last night. Basically, my budget is $20K :flaccid:

She wants to pay off the :jeep: before buying something else expensive, doesn't want to buy two $40K cars a year apart, etc. I pointed out various bits about depreciation, the fact that we could either pay off the :jeep: now or buy a $40K car in cash, etc. and she's just not really on board. In her defense, I did want the :jeep: and was onboard with the $40K :troywax: at that time. We pretty much came to the agreement that I will purchase a less expensive car now, we will pay off the :jeep: over the next 1-2 years and I will then :plac: at that time. She is basically :yeahok: at the suggestion that I would keep a Hype R for 5+ years, so she doesn't want to wind up with me :plac: something more expensive in short order and I guess wants to keep a stronger cash position than I care about.

Kind of :disappoint: but :ohwell:

So a Golf R isn't an option and I just don't think I want a Golf, :iono:

It is clear that the :mk6: roots are still strong at this place as I have continually said I don't want one and been continually suggested one :lolol:

GTIs used are also not that cheap anymore.

$20K gets you very little car in 2021.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm So as an update... I talked things over with :tits: last night. Basically, my budget is $20K :flaccid:

She wants to pay off the :jeep: before buying something else expensive, doesn't want to buy two $40K cars a year apart, etc. I pointed out various bits about depreciation, the fact that we could either pay off the :jeep: now or buy a $40K car in cash, etc. and she's just not really on board. In her defense, I did want the :jeep: and was onboard with the $40K :troywax: at that time. We pretty much came to the agreement that I will purchase a less expensive car now, we will pay off the :jeep: over the next 1-2 years and I will then :plac: at that time. She is basically :yeahok: at the suggestion that I would keep a Hype R for 5+ years, so she doesn't want to wind up with me :plac: something more expensive in short order and I guess wants to keep a stronger cash position than I care about.

It is clear that the :mk6: roots are still strong at this place as I have continually said I don't want one and been continually suggested one :lolol:

Do you want a JCW cooper with 33k miles and the worlds worst tranny?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm So as an update... I talked things over with :tits: last night. Basically, my budget is $20K :flaccid:

Funny that's exactly was Z4 Ms cost. There's a bloo one in Raleigh
Melon
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Blue things, Orange thing

Is your Mini manual or Auto (Or DCT, not sure what the auto options are)?
4zilch wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 am I'm a fucking failure.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

A large part of me believes that :mahman: :mahman: are :trollface: you on the :gorf: :mk6: front. Glad you're a good sport about it! :lolol:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Hm. Buying a used car now at the very top of the market and selling in 1-2 years seems to me to be a surefire way to lose your shirt on depreciation, especially with regard to percentage of the purchase price. I genuinely think you'd be better off buying a new Hype R or STi at MSRP than paying $20k for a used whatever right now even in straight dollar terms. That $20k thing will be worth $12k in two years once the supply chain issues are sorted out with regard to new cars.

I get not wanting to buy expensive cars back to back, though. Car payments blow and I'm kind of going down the same decision path on the :minivan: front. Used Odysseys don't seem like they've had their prices inflate that much, and I do plan to keep it a long time, but if it's $22k for a 6 year old car with 75k miles, versus $37k for a brand new one, to me a $15k difference over 6 years seems like a reasonable amount to spend, especially considering it will need nothing but oil changes and tires over those first 6 years, and the older car will need a timing belt and who knows what else.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:39 pm

A large part of me believes that :mahman: :mahman: are :trollface: you on the :gorf: :mk6: front. Glad you're a good sport about it! :lolol:
I think it's like 50/50 :trollface: but also :butwhy: no VW love? :iono: they fit my needs really well but I just don't feel a spark there. It is like the arranged marriage of cars :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

I think it's like 50/50 :trollface: but also :butwhy: no VW love? :iono: they fit my needs really well but I just don't feel a spark there. It is like the arranged marriage of cars :lolol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

CaleDeRoo wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm

Funny that's exactly was Z4 Ms cost. There's a bloo one in Raleigh
Naaaahhhh, that is more headache than the :poorvette:

:nope:
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Melon wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:34 pm Is your Mini manual or Auto (Or DCT, not sure what the auto options are)?
Max has the auto, it’s a really damn good tranny.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Hm. Buying a used car now at the very top of the market and selling in 1-2 years seems to me to be a surefire way to lose your shirt on depreciation, especially with regard to percentage of the purchase price. I genuinely think you'd be better off buying a new Hype R or STi at MSRP than paying $20k for a used whatever right now even in straight dollar terms. That $20k thing will be worth $12k in two years once the supply chain issues are sorted out with regard to new cars.

I get not wanting to buy expensive cars back to back, though. Car payments blow and I'm kind of going down the same decision path on the :minivan: front. Used Odysseys don't seem like they've had their prices inflate that much, and I do plan to keep it a long time, but if it's $22k for a 6 year old car with 75k miles, versus $37k for a brand new one, to me a $15k difference over 6 years seems like a reasonable amount to spend, especially considering it will need nothing but oil changes and tires over those first 6 years, and the older car will need a timing belt and who knows what else.
Oh dude, you're 100% correct. Want to fly out here and try to explain that to my wife? I have literally presented that argument at least 10 times at this point. :ohwell:

At least I will have the satisfaction of the "I told you so" moment? :notsure:
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm I think it's like 50/50 :trollface: but also :butwhy: no VW love? :iono: they fit my needs really well but I just don't feel a spark there. It is like the arranged marriage of cars :lolol:
You've driven a PP-equipped MK7, ya?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Do you want a JCW cooper with 33k miles and the worlds worst tranny?
Naaahhhh no auto for me.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm I think it's like 50/50 :trollface: but also :butwhy: no VW love? :iono: they fit my needs really well but I just don't feel a spark there. It is like the arranged marriage of cars :lolol:
Honestly :notsure: , I've driven two MK7s, I don't know the specs.

FWIW it's not that I don't think they're good, they're just not really my thing. Like, I drove the Si and GTI back to back in 2018, the GTI was clearly the quicker car in basically every way but I just liked the Si more.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Haha! 100% man, they are awesome cars but a totally different animal from the :poorvette: type fun vehicle. They are practical, with a touch of fun, a wallop of superior interior, but after owning a few gens myself, can say that they aren't exactly "special" feeling.

At least you guys have a budget in mind, is $20k the all-in cost, or loan cost after spending the :poorvette: cash?
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:45 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:44 pm

Honestly :notsure: , I've driven two MK7s, I don't know the specs.

FWIW it's not that I don't think they're good, they're just not really my thing. Like, I drove the Si and GTI back to back in 2018, the GTI was clearly the quicker car in basically every way but I just liked the Si more.
And that's all that matters. I love my MK7, but yeah I get they're not the car for everybody.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:48 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:41 pm

Haha! 100% man, they are awesome cars but a totally different animal from the :poorvette: type fun vehicle. They are practical, with a touch of fun, a wallop of superior interior, but after owning a few gens myself, can say that they aren't exactly "special" feeling.

At least you guys have a budget in mind, is $20k the all-in cost, or loan cost after spending the :poorvette: cash?
$20K all in, so basically $9k cash on top of the :poorvette:

If I could do $20K cash on top of it, I'd probably buy that red STI for $28K and call it.

:ohwell: I should buy something dumb just to be a :jackass:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Just keep the :poorvette: for the rest of the year. The market is jacked, and I really think buying any vehicle right now should be an absolute last resort. What's the rush?

You've said the clutch is fine when you're gentle on it, take a break from :stig: and focus on more environmentally friendly activities for the summer. :tits: might even be more understanding in a year. It's one damned year. I'm spending it in a vehicle I pretty much despise, so I'm focusing on other things.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:54 pm $20K all in, so basically $9k cash on top of the :poorvette:

If I could do $20K cash on top of it, I'd probably buy that red STI for $28K and call it.

:ohwell: I should buy something dumb just to be a :jackass:
If the deal really is 1-2 years, I might try to buy something that's purely an appliance that hasn't really shot up in value. :notsure: exactly what that would be, but probably nothing enthusaist-spec and nothing in crossover or :truk: land. Or at the very least communicate that with :tits: and guilt her into letting you get the Hype R.
Last edited by coogles on Tue May 18, 2021 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:55 pm Just keep the :poorvette: for the rest of the year. The market is jacked, and I really think buying any vehicle right now should be an absolute last resort. What's the rush?

You've said the clutch is fine when you're gentle on it, take a break from :stig: and focus on more environmentally friendly activities for the summer. :tits: might even be more understanding in a year. It's one damned year. I'm spending it in a vehicle I pretty much despise, so I'm focusing on other things.
It's more like I don't really want to :dealwithit: the shit that is :wrong: with the :poorvette:

I suppose I could just continue driving it NFG, but :iono: I just don't really want to, I also doubt I'll ever see an opportunity to get $11K for it again either.

I have had this thing for seven years, I think I've done my time, I made it longer than anyone else.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:57 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:55 pm Just keep the :poorvette: for the rest of the year. The market is jacked, and I really think buying any vehicle right now should be an absolute last resort. What's the rush?

It's more like I don't really want to :dealwithit: the shit that is :wrong: with the :poorvette:

I suppose I could just continue driving it NFG, but :iono: I just don't really want to, I also doubt I'll ever see an opportunity to get $11K for it again either.

I have had this thing for seven years, I think I've done my time, I made it longer than anyone else.
You might get a few grand more than it's worth but you'll lose your ass on whatever you buy for $20k. The $20k pricepoint seems to be the battleground. No new cars are in that point, and everything there now used to be worth $10-$15k. Unless you find something you love and hold onto (doubtful), this just doesn't make any sense. Patience is key in this market, but whatever.

You seem dead set on lighting money on fire, so I vote MINI all day. You can still get a NICE modern example in your price point. I'll just be worth half of what you pay for it in a year.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Buy the Type R and tell the wife it’s a $20k Civic.
All rook same. :lol: