Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am I am in a weird spot here because I think the MINIs are really cool and the wife would be in support of them... but the fact of the matter is, it's actually a more costly car and not as good as the R. The other fact of the matter is, I'm not paying $40K for a used Civic or $45K for a new one, just kind of an annoying place to be in.

She said we can sit down and discuss the budget this weekend or sometime soon so we'll see. I'm just kind of dreading the conversation to be honest, I am a shit communicator and don't always handle these things well, which is funny given my profession is sales.
I started showing my wife $100k Evoras this week :lolol: .

It does plant the seed that i may wish to buy a fun car once our finances are finally back on track again. Hopefully buying something that ONLY costs 30k is greeted with a sigh of relief. :smart:
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:15 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:07 pm

You’re not the target audience; mr I need a V8 to escape the cartels south of the border.
I still appreciate the car though. Manual only, handles great, LSD, roomy back seat, hatchback. Simple JDM performance like an Integra Type R. It would be far more enjoyable to me than the plastic fantastic I would bet. But wait....there's a Formula 1 wing on it announcing my flamboyance.
The wing is so big you can't see it in the rearview mirror while driving, so it's basically like it's not even there. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:09 am I am in a weird spot here because I think the MINIs are really cool and the wife would be in support of them... but the fact of the matter is, it's actually a more costly car and not as good as the R. The other fact of the matter is, I'm not paying $40K for a used Civic or $45K for a new one, just kind of an annoying place to be in.

She said we can sit down and discuss the budget this weekend or sometime soon so we'll see. I'm just kind of dreading the conversation to be honest, I am a shit communicator and don't always handle these things well, which is funny given my profession is sales.

It does plant the seed that i may wish to buy a fun car once our finances are finally back on track again. Hopefully buying something that ONLY costs 30k is greeted with a sigh of relief. :smart:
Yeah, always good to be planting seeds. :iono: I am just unwilling to get in a fight about this, I will present her with the facts, like "look, I am cool with a MINI JCW or similar but it will drop $10K in two years and the Hype R won't, so while $35-40K feels like a lot, it's a :notbad: move" and just let her decide ultimately. Cuck? Yes. But I'm also not planning on dumping my wife and I don't want the car to just be an ongoing point of contention. Sometimes stuff/money isn't the most important factor.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm
Tarspin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:54 pm

Yeah, always good to be planting seeds. :iono: I am just unwilling to get in a fight about this, I will present her with the facts, like "look, I am cool with a MINI JCW or similar but it will drop $10K in two years and the Hype R won't, so while $35-40K feels like a lot, it's a :notbad: move" and just let her decide ultimately. Cuck? Yes. But I'm also not planning on dumping my wife and I don't want the car to just be an ongoing point of contention. Sometimes stuff/money isn't the most important factor.
Try to include reliability of newish Japanese vs oldish Euro products. Repairs will cost time and money. I'd be upsetting big time. I love the mini, but read [user not found]'s thread like... :amazing: . Surely not all of that labor is necessary, some was put in just to un-bork customizations from the previous owner, but there's a fairly extensive list of repairs that can be brought to the table during your talk. ABC :bruh:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:06 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Try to include reliability of newish Japanese vs oldish Euro products. Repairs will cost time and money. I'd be upsetting big time. I love the mini, but read [user not found]'s thread like... :amazing: . Surely not all of that labor is necessary, some was put in just to un-bork customizations from the previous owner, but there's a fairly extensive list of repairs that can be brought to the table during your talk. ABC :bruh:
Yeah... I'm also wondering if something like this could be the move - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest

Yeah, it's MSRP for a car with 33K farts, but it offers $10K off a new one which is not insignificant.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:11 pm

Yeah... I'm also wondering if something like this could be the move - https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... n=atempest

Yeah, it's MSRP for a car with 33K farts, but it offers $10K off a new one which is not insignificant.
Is one of your problems the insistence on :manuel: which makes it your car only? Maybe its time to see what performance automatic cars are out there that she would enjoy as well. That might raise your price ceiling considerably.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
HerrBerlin
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: occasionally

How about a Veloster N? Arguably more fun than a CTR and way cheaper if you can find a used one.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm I am actually renting a manual M235i in a few weeks on Turo in AZ :popcorn:

I don't think I would like it as much. I suppose I will talk it over more with the wife this weekend and see where we land.
Yea... the non m 2 series just does nothing for me. So I wouldn’t exactly base my buying decision on said rental. The m cars are quite a bit apart from the peasant spec
M2 non-competition seems pretty baller, as does the ATS-V, both around Hype R prices or less now AFAIK.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

HerrBerlin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm

How about a Veloster N? Arguably more fun than a CTR and way cheaper if you can find a used one.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
Pretty dece.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:25 pm

Is one of your problems the insistence on :manuel: which makes it your car only? Maybe its time to see what performance automatic cars are out there that she would enjoy as well. That might raise your price ceiling considerably.
Griff is :manuel: or death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

That looks like a 2k/yr depreciation curve with no money going into repairs, that's pretty reasonable for a dude who ultimately needs a newer car and makes $150k annually.

I likely should have gotten this instead of the R. Wife was busting my chops about the :manuel: at the time, and I live in shit-tastic winter weather 1/2 yr at a time, so AWD tipped the scales. Great value retention right here.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 pm

:dat:

Also my wife really has no problem with me having a manual, it is not a sticking point. This is all monetary stuff.

I should drive a Veloster N and see how it is. The lack of depreciation with the R is both it's best and worst attribute in this case.

I don't really think I want another BMW :iono:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 pm

Also my wife really has no problem with me having a manual, it is not a sticking point. This is all monetary stuff.

I should drive a Veloster N and see how it is. The lack of depreciation with the R is both it's best and worst attribute in this case.

It's settled then.
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Well it's making him a buyer at a buy here pay here lot.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Hubris has its drawbacks.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:37 pm

It's settled then.
I would like to test drive one, I have tried a few times but haven't had one locally yet.

As mentioned a lot of German cars are just a bit boring to me, they look plain, shifting is meh, etc. I am not writing it off by any means, but we all like what we like :wrong:

Kind of like the old :manuel: argument thing. It may be dumb, but I just enjoy it. No different than people who listen to music on vinyl still.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Apex wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:52 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm

Hubris has its drawbacks.
:sass: :rolleyes:

There is nothing to be prideful about with an antiquated transmission, it is just more fun to me. Driving around in a city is not exciting at all. I would consider an auto for a track only car or something but shifting gears is the only thing that I really enjoy about driving to places like my office, the grocery store, etc. which is most of my driving.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

troyguitar wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:27 pm
max225 wrote:
Yea... the non m 2 series just does nothing for me. So I wouldn’t exactly base my buying decision on said rental. The m cars are quite a bit apart from the peasant spec
M2 non-competition seems pretty baller, as does the ATS-V, both around Hype R prices or less now AFAIK.
ATS-V is a great idea.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:41 pm

It's settled then.
I would like to test drive one, I have tried a few times but haven't had one locally yet.

As mentioned a lot of German cars are just a bit boring to me, they look plain, shifting is meh, etc. I am not writing it off by any means, but we all like what we like :wrong:

Kind of like the old :manuel: argument thing. It may be dumb, but I just enjoy it. No different than people who listen to music on vinyl still.
There is very little wrong with the m2 :manuel: trans. It works just fine and I don't find the CTR manuel to be "vastly" superior to it if at all.

That said, I hear you on the other comments. If the Civic is "less boring" to you that's all that matters. I think CTR would be probably the only somewhat reasonable purchase right now if you can get one at sticker. Used market is nuts.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:54 pm

There is very little wrong with the m2 :manuel: trans. It works just fine and I don't find the CTR manuel to be "vastly" superior to it if at all.

That said, I hear you on the other comments. If the Civic is "less boring" to you that's all that matters. I think CTR would be probably the only somewhat reasonable purchase right now if you can get one at sticker. Used market is nuts.
:notwrong: :lolol:

This is going to just go full circle again where I realize the car I want is $45K + TTL and I go back to by broken Corvette with my tail between my legs.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:28 pm
max225 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:50 pm

:notwrong: :lolol:

This is going to just go full circle again where I realize the car I want is $45K + TTL and I go back to by broken Corvette with my tail between my legs.
You just have to realize that this is what it takes. I mean I paid sticker for my Taco when everyone claims you "NEED TO GET 5k OFF" in order to get a good :dill: it is what it is. I have no regrets, and since my purchase the prices seem to have gone up even higher. :fullretard: this is not a short term blip type of situation. Because the prices will only go DOWN if non one has money either. And that won't happen for a while.

We only get one life so it is what it is. You have a fun car but it's old you want another fun car that is new and unfarted. It actually brings a lot of joy to have a new vehicle in the stable. Everything is crisp and clean and you don't have to make any sort of excuses for it... like "Last owner did x" etc.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Irish wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:26 pm I think you'd be be hard pressed to find more fun and practicality than a Stage 1 tuned MK7 or 7.5 GTI...... After 7 years with my :mk6: I still enjoy spending time in it and it still makes me grin on the backroads....

Or leave the tuning to VW and get the Arghhh :gorf:
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:07 am
HerrBerlin wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:53 pm :dat:

Get what you really want so you can avoid having to :plac: whatever compromise you go with soon after. I went through the same thing with the Type R by buying my mk7 as a compromise, thinking I'd be okay with it long term.

Yeah it's $40k, but it will probably still be worth $35k in three or four years.
Yeah this is why I'm kind of ignoring the GTI suggestions. I had a GTI. It truly is a great car, it does everything well, but I just never really loved it and I don't think I'm going to start.

It's funny about Desert and others saying the Type R is too flamboyant, and that is exactly why a GTI just doesn't do it for me, it isn't flamboyant enough. I am a bit of a flamboyant dude, I think the C5 has lasted so long for me because it offers quite a bit of drama.

The Type R drives well, is practical and also kind of outrageous, which is cool to me. A neon green Civic Si is at least fun to look at and still drives well. Minis are unique and fun and still somewhat practical.

This is a blanket statement but many German cars are just too staid for my tastes, I found both my GTI and 328i boring, neither were bad cars in any way and I objectively like a lot about them, but they just don't get me excited.

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:07 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 12:44 pm

I am actually renting a manual M235i in a few weeks on Turo in AZ :popcorn:

I don't think I would like it as much. I suppose I will talk it over more with the wife this weekend and see where we land.
M235i is not anywhere close to the M2 or M2C - underneath the cars are very very different.

Also, supremely annoying part of the M2 and associated kin is the 13.7 gallon fuel tank. My R53 almost has a bigger tank.

Still, curious to hear your thoughts about the car after you've spent a weekend in it. The inline six sounds fantastic at the bare minimum.
:notwrong: but the M235i is the one I can “afford” possibly. It seems to review well, Abbey said it’s better than a base M2 :notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Well it seems like test driving a Veloster N could be a tall order....

I’m noticing that there are some STIs for sale for quite a bit less than Hype Rs. Are the reliability concerns with these legitimate? Assuming it’s stock, do the motors really blow up?

I got a Vroom offer for $10,850 for the Corvette which is really tempting.