Tire Kicking By Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I think you'd be be hard pressed to find more fun and practicality than a Stage 1 tuned MK7 or 7.5 GTI...... After 7 years with my :mk6: I still enjoy spending time in it and it still makes me grin on the backroads....

Or leave the tuning to VW and get the Arghhh :gorf:
Last edited by Irish on Tue May 11, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:04 pm I've driven a couple of MK7. Definitely a great daily but :notsure: ... :iono: GTIs are just a little boring to me, probably because I already owned one. I would certainly look at them.
The Mini I could maybe see being more fun just for the quirks, but I can't see the Si. The little 1.5T is a total :boner: killer. A MK7 with a couple little shifter mods and some good tires I have to think would be more fun. Even driving my car and the Type R back to back I got into mine thinking they didn't feel all that different from an enjoyment standpoint. Granted I was just driving some suburban roads and roundabouts and I'm probably pretty biased, but the GTI is 85-90% of what the Type R seemed to be, for WAY less money.
Is there any way to easily identify the MK7 GTIs that have the LSD?
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:19 pm The Mini I could maybe see being more fun just for the quirks, but I can't see the Si. The little 1.5T is a total :boner: killer. A MK7 with a couple little shifter mods and some good tires I have to think would be more fun. Even driving my car and the Type R back to back I got into mine thinking they didn't feel all that different from an enjoyment standpoint. Granted I was just driving some suburban roads and roundabouts and I'm probably pretty biased, but the GTI is 85-90% of what the Type R seemed to be, for WAY less money.
PP (R) brakes == LSD
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm
D Griff wrote:
PP (R) brakes == LSD
:dat:

If the front calipers have the “GTI” painted on them, it’s a PP car. Also every 2019+ has it, and every 2018 except the S.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Yeah I've never ridden/been in an F series. The R ones certainly ride really hard but they are a lot nicer/more modern than a C5. I will find one to check out. I think I'd be cool with/enjoy the sound.
But you seem to not care about modern features etc ... at least per your prior posts.
Yeah I don't really care for adaptive cruise, Car Play, back up cam, etc. Some of these things are nice but not necessary. I do assume sitting in an F series MINI is still a much nicer experience than a C5 even if it lacks features. My 328i really had zero features the C5 doesn't have (actually it had less) but was still a lot nicer and more comfy. I kind of assume the MINIs to be that but actually fun to drive.
Johnny_P
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue short bus

D Griff wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:39 pm
max225 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:19 pm

But you seem to not care about modern features etc ... at least per your prior posts.
Yeah I don't really care for adaptive cruise, Car Play, back up cam, etc. Some of these things are nice but not necessary. I do assume sitting in an F series MINI is still a much nicer experience than a C5 even if it lacks features. My 328i really had zero features the C5 doesn't have (actually it had less) but was still a lot nicer and more comfy. I kind of assume the MINIs to be that but actually fun to drive.
Worth a test drive. I almost bought an F56S. Moderately fun, about on par with a GTI. Curious to hear how it compares to an Si with the 1.5 engine.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:58 pm I do not understand the Honda Civic Si. From a looks standpoint it is UTTERLY unremarkable. It looks like countless Hyundais/other general ricer stuff. It's powerplant is unexceptional in the extreme. It has two doors and no hatch........completely unpractical. Fuck that. Either get a Civic Sport, which is an eminently practical and FUN car (dem 245s on all four corners) or just go balls deep and get the Type R.

Although, I think I remember reading that the next gen Si will be available in the hatch trim.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
Apex
Drives: Abominable

CTR is still the answer. :micdrop:
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:34 pm
troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:31 pm PP (R) brakes == LSD

If the front calipers have the “GTI” painted on them, it’s a PP car. Also every 2019+ has it, and every 2018 except the S.
And I think a red GTI badge is also an indicator, at least up until 2019 when it became available on all trims.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:33 pm CTR is still the answer. :micdrop:
If you're buying new and can get the CTR for MSRP, yes. If you're going used and only want to spend $20k, you can get a nice MK7 in the same trim I have in that range with 30k miles or so. In that scenario, I'd save the money, get some good tires, a tune, a RSB, and spend the rest on other shit.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 pm
If you're buying new and can get the CTR for MSRP, yes. If you're going used and only want to spend $20k, you can get a nice MK7 in the same trim I have in that range with 30k miles or so. In that scenario, I'd save the money, get some good tires, a tune, a RSB, and spend the rest on other shit.
:sass:

Forgot this was DatScroogeDoe.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Apex wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:11 pm
coogles wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:02 pm

:sass:

Forgot this was DatScroogeDoe.
Dude did say he wanted to spend less money. :iono:
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

It seems like a ctr or bust scenario for me here also. None of the other cars make sense they are compromises and will lead to more :plac: time
To fight with the :tits: to see who wears the pants in the house
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm It seems like a ctr or bust scenario for me here also. None of the other cars make sense they are compromises and will lead to more :plac: time
To fight with the :tits: to see who wears the pants in the house
You are driving a 18 year old car sports car with over 100K miles on it. Its okay to get a new one.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:16 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm

Getting rid of your personal race team would certainly go a long way here. You seem to think a lot of cars are boring.....a manual F30 328i was too much of an appliance for you. You seem to be a prime candidate for one of these mint R53 Mini Coopers being advertised.
You missed the part about “not wrenching” on weekends.

If you buy an R53, pepper thine angus.

I don't mind wrenching a bit, I will likely mod anything I get in a few ways depending. I just don't really want to :dealwithit: random issues, CELs, etc. constantly. The :poorvette: is at that age where it has little naggy things popping up regularly. It is fortunately a pretty reliable thing overall, but certainly not a three year old Japanese car.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:lolol: :notwrong:

It's funny too, a CTR would likely cost less to own than the $16K MINI I linked... but it's still $45K to post up... The more time that goes on, the more I'm just not all that into dropping a shit ton of money on a car. The Si is a lot more efficient, less money, and still a pretty fun thing.

Everyone else here hates the Si despite the fact that I'm the only one that's driven one :doe: :foreveralone:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

D Griff wrote:
Imageol: :notwrong:

It's funny too, a CTR would likely cost less to own than the $16K MINI I linked... but it's still $45K to post up... The more time that goes on, the more I'm just not all that into dropping a shit ton of money on a car. The Si is a lot more efficient, less money, and still a pretty fun thing.

Everyone else here hates the Si despite the fact that I'm the only one that's driven one :doe: :foreveralone:
I don't hate the Si but I think the old NA version is better.
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

GTI with the roof racks to haul bikes. leggo
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

[user not found] wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 7:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:28 pm

:lolol: :notwrong:

I don’t hate the Si coupe, just the sedan. The sedan looks massiv.

Anyways, just don’t buy a new MINI.
Yeah... MINIs in general are an interesting situation. On the one hand, they offer tremendous value for money used, with a JCW in the mid twenties or so or an S in the upper teens. But they still seem to just keep dropping to zero. So while they are the cheapest option up front, it seems like they will really be more costly in the end. GTI is similar, you can get a pretty :nice: one for $20K but it will be $10K in a few years.

That compared to an Si where they seem to depreciate quite slowly, or an R which doesn't really depreciate at all makes it kind of :notsure:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:29 pm
D Griff wrote:
Imageol: :notwrong:

I don't hate the Si but I think the old NA version is better.
I do like them a lot, kind of the last of a breed. I do have two concerns, one is will I be able to find a non-shit example? I don't want some nasty, stinky car. The second is can they be outfitted with some sort of Bluetooth stereo easily without making the interior look more disgusting?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

@ :mahtroy: , this is nice : https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 56548.html

As I suspected, most of these things are pretty much beat to hell, I'm not going to drive a car with ripped seats and oxidized paint and whatnot, I am a professional with a good job.

I still like the current gen Si coupe though. I will probably find a MINI to test drive this week or next :popcorn:

Thoughts on JCW versus S? I feel like the consensus around here was the JCW isn't worth the extra $10K? This thing is pretty sweet: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1788900 ... n=referral

:iono: why the idea of a GTI just is not exciting me at all... part of it is just the colors. Man, they are all grey scale, really not my thing.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:29 pm @ :mahtroy: , this is nice : https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/ctd/d ... 56548.html

As I suspected, most of these things are pretty much beat to hell, I'm not going to drive a car with ripped seats and oxidized paint and whatnot, I am a professional with a good job.

I still like the current gen Si coupe though. I will probably find a MINI to test drive this week or next :popcorn:

Thoughts on JCW versus S? I feel like the consensus around here was the JCW isn't worth the extra $10K? This thing is pretty sweet: https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1788900 ... n=referral

:iono: why the idea of a GTI just is not exciting me at all... part of it is just the colors. Man, they are all grey scale, really not my thing.
:wub: that JCW.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm Fuck :doe: , this is appealing https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
Grayscale, doe. :trollface:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 12:33 pm Fuck :doe: , this is appealing https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-s ... utotempest
Whoa
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.