Appreciating cars... suggestions ? What's the current trend ?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:26 am

This is a car that deserves a loud color, anything out of a skittles pack is perfect.
I want the dang thing... if I was single I would :doit: but I don't see :tits: hopping on board the $55K train.
:dat:

I don't think that thing will drop much in value either. It's probably a pretty safe and fun place to park $50k
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:44 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I want the dang thing... if I was single I would :doit: but I don't see :tits: hopping on board the $55K train.

I don't think that thing will drop much in value either. It's probably a pretty safe and fun place to park $50k
It's got me thinking... if I sell it to :tits: as an evading inflation + fun move... maybe just maybe I could pull it off. It would be easier with one sitting around $40K (which are out there I think). If I could get $10K for the Corvette, throwing down $30K cash isn't really an issue.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:52 pm

It's got me thinking... if I sell it to :tits: as an evading inflation + fun move... maybe just maybe I could pull it off. It would be easier with one sitting around $40K (which are out there I think). If I could get $10K for the Corvette, throwing down $30K cash isn't really an issue.
You may greatly underestimate your wife's disdain for the plastic fantastic. You'll know if she says :fuckyeah: and starts doing fistpumps.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

I tried that argument and failed miserably, but I think it's a valid one. If I were single, I'd absolutely go down to Florida and buy this Evora and drive it back. You could get years of fun out of it and not lose much money vs. letting money slowly decay in the bank or gamble it in a bubble in the market.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I'd buy it as a single guy, no question. It is a double win sitch', where buying the cheapest well kept specimen in existence nets the owner a depreciation cushion, and lowest cost of entry.

Real talk doe, I don't think it will happen, but if these somehow do depreciate further I'll be willing to drop 30k - 35k on on in five or six years and keep it for a decade. Wishful thinking.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Desertbreh wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:56 pm

You may greatly underestimate your wife's disdain for the plastic fantastic. You'll know if she says :fuckyeah: and starts doing fistpumps.
:notbad:

I'd be curious to see if she would be into date nights in an Evora or if she would be :triggered: by it being too :fancy:
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

Could you get these things serviced at a 'Yota diller: ?
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm Could you get these things serviced at a 'Yota diller: ?
I'm sure it depends, some would probably be willing/think it was :neat: ... there is actually a Lotus/ :fancy: :dillerman: a couple miles from my :haus:

The beauty to me of it being a Toyota power train is that I could just do it myself at home. Fuck pretty much all :dillerman: , I really hate getting cars serviced at those places.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm Could you get these things serviced at a 'Yota diller: ?
I doubt that they'd have any common parts outside of the engine. I assume that the engine includes all bolt ons like the alternator, etc so there are a few things the dealer can work on if they know how to get access to them. Mid-engine cars have a lot of engine out maintenance because it's impossible to access routine things like spark plugs. I assume that a smaller V6 requires less engine out then a big ol' V8 :doe:

Like Dan says, it would be a labour of love to do the maintenance at home.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don’t think so... they share a lot less in common than you might think especially since most are supercharged
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:14 pm
I'm sure it depends, some would probably be willing/think it was :neat: ... there is actually a Lotus/ :fancy: :dillerman: a couple miles from my :haus:

The beauty to me of it being a Toyota power train is that I could just do it myself at home. Fuck pretty much all :dillerman: , I really hate getting cars serviced at those places.
I discovered the Car Wizzard on YouTube, and he did a hoist overview with an Evora. The entire underside is flat aero panels...including under the engine. The engine itself is in a tiny compartment in front of a sizable trunk. Working on that thing looks like a nightmare TBH, and slightly reduced my desire for one.

But at least it's a Toyota powertrain so the maintenance requirements shouldn't be as bad? I'm not even sure how easy it would be to do an oil change.
Last edited by ChrisoftheNorth on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:32 pm
I don’t think so... they share a lot less in common than you might think especially since most are supercharged

It really just seems like the base engine itself is Toyota, the rest is all Lotus.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:58 pm I'd buy it as a single guy, no question. It is a double win sitch', where buying the cheapest well kept specimen in existence nets the owner a depreciation cushion, and lowest cost of entry.

Real talk doe, I don't think it will happen, but if these somehow do depreciate further I'll be willing to drop 30k - 35k on on in five or six years and keep it for a decade. Wishful thinking.
There was a time not long ago when early Evoras were in the 30-40k range. That didn't last long, and I doubt it's going to happen again...especially since Lotus has :nuke: their model lineup and it might be the last "real" Lotus...and it happens to be the most livable they ever produced. They'll likely show :impressive: resilience against depreciation.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:45 pm
D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:14 pm

I discovered the Car Wizzard on YouTube, and he did a hoist overview with an Evora. The entire underside is flat aero panels...including under the engine. The engine itself is in a tiny compartment in front of a sizable trunk. Working on that thing looks like a nightmare TBH, and slightly reduced my desire for one.

But at least it's a Toyota powertrain so the maintenance requirements shouldn't be as bad? I'm not even sure how easy it would be to do an oil change.
I have read/heard that an Evora clutch job is five figures... must just be a fuck ton of hours to get it out.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:19 pm

I have read/heard that an Evora clutch job is five figures... must just be a fuck ton of hours to get it out.
If you're curious, watch this...it's amazing how inaccessible everything appears to be on this thing. I'm not sure how much DIY is realistic, a clutch job would probably have the car down for a year if DIY.

max225

I mean this isn't a civic that gets driven to the moon and back. How long does the clutch last ? 20 years or 100k miles? That seems like it is beyond any sort of worrying.

I would be far more concerned about one off cosmetic issues. Like separating dash (documented). Various electrical gremlins etc.

You have to think that for something like a window regulator you'd have to shell out $2000 vs $200 on a normal car rand it would take weeks to get it here.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:25 pm

If you're curious, watch this...it's amazing how inaccessible everything appears to be on this thing. I'm not sure how much DIY is realistic, a clutch job would probably have the car down for a year if DIY.

IIRC the Elise is similar, and there's like 35+ fasteners to remove to do basic services.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:58 pm

I mean this isn't a civic that gets driven to the moon and back. How long does the clutch last ? 20 years or 100k miles? That seems like it is beyond any sort of worrying.

I would be far more concerned about one off cosmetic issues. Like separating dash (documented). Various electrical gremlins etc.

You have to think that for something like a window regulator you'd have to shell out $2000 vs $200 on a normal car rand it would take weeks to get it here.
:iono: these are $100K cars new... A window regulator for a $50K Corvette is $200, so this should be ~$400. I don't think it would be all that bad. I have known a few people with Loti, haven't heard any horror stories.

I agree on the clutch, I've never actually had a clutch wear out on any car I've owned. My C5 clutch has 20+ track days and 117K miles on it and other than the dumb bleeding situation that is just a shitty design, it is fine. I just thought it was worth pointing out if you're seriously interested in one. You never known how it's been driven, if a clutch is needed in short order... :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

If you buy a low mile example from a legit one owner, you're going to be fine.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:38 pm If you buy a low mile example from a legit one owner, you're going to be fine.
Yea a "clutch" in a limited edition non DD sports car is a "lifetime" unit for 20-30 years
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

Honda element
max225

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:20 pmHonda element
And the Azzztech are also on the upswing
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:45 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:20 pmHonda element
No joke, the Aztek was one of the most innovative vehicles ever. I just told people in a meeting that we should find one to benchmark for innovation ideas. Not to build one, but to pull ideas from.

I was laughed off the call.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm

No joke, the Aztek was one of the most innovative vehicles ever. I just told people in a meeting that we should find one to benchmark for innovation ideas. Not to build one, but to pull ideas from.

LOL, the arrogance of some people!

Still that sounds funny as hell.

My :doge: Calibre had fun things in it, like beer coolers in the glove box. 5/7 ideas in that bitch.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:17 pm

But man did it hit all the branches falling out of the ugly tree.