Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:27 pm
Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm @Detroit Any updates on Sea-chelle the Belle of the LP?

:amazing:

The docks including our slip and hoist are scheduled to go in the water this weekend. The boat has been in my dad's heated garage downstate since we brought it home because I didn't want to winterize it for a month. Looks like we might finally be out of the risk of freezing after this week, so we're going down this weekend to get the boat. I want to change the engine oil and outdrive lube, and change the thermostat, which I believe is currently stuck open. I may do all that in my dad's garage, or do it up here at home, :notsure: how much work I want to do down there. The engine should really be brought up to operating temp before changing the oil, and I bought "earmuffs" to cycle water through the engine while I do, I just don't know how the city will react to my firing up the boat and letting it spew water and exhaust all over the ground (not that it hurts anything, people in the city are just nosy and :sass: ), also no idea how loud it's going to be.

Then it's get the boat in the water and on our hoist. We have some learning to do in that regard, but I'm looking forward to it greatly. Ideal boating weather is probably a month away still, so we have some time to get things in order and get used to everything. Just glad we're doing it all at the very beginning of the season so we'll get maximum enjoyment out of the setup.
Not that loud. :thisisfine:
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:27 pm
Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm @Detroit Any updates on Sea-chelle the Belle of the LP?

:amazing:

The docks including our slip and hoist are scheduled to go in the water this weekend. The boat has been in my dad's heated garage downstate since we brought it home because I didn't want to winterize it for a month. Looks like we might finally be out of the risk of freezing after this week, so we're going down this weekend to get the boat. I want to change the engine oil and outdrive lube, and change the thermostat, which I believe is currently stuck open. I may do all that in my dad's garage, or do it up here at home, :notsure: how much work I want to do down there. The engine should really be brought up to operating temp before changing the oil, and I bought "earmuffs" to cycle water through the engine while I do, I just don't know how the city will react to my firing up the boat and letting it spew water and exhaust all over the ground (not that it hurts anything, people in the city are just nosy and :sass: ), also no idea how loud it's going to be.

Then it's get the boat in the water and on our hoist. We have some learning to do in that regard, but I'm looking forward to it greatly. Ideal boating weather is probably a month away still, so we have some time to get things in order and get used to everything. Just glad we're doing it all at the very beginning of the season so we'll get maximum enjoyment out of the setup.
:excited:
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:34 pm I have missed the pictures of the the boat. It is in spectacular condition. Most Bayliners are a bit like Camrys.....dented and not in the finest shape because they are a "family" boat with a lower point of entry. You will get a lot of return on 10 grand with that thing.
:dat: This thing is so much nicer than any of the used Bayliners i looked at when I was in the market......

PS The boat will be pretty loud with those earmuffs on...... basically like a car with straightpipes .... because the water is what usually muffles the sound.... But as long as you don't rev the shit out of it, it will be quieter than Harleys going by
Last edited by Irish on Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:34 pm I have missed the pictures of the the boat. It is in spectacular condition. Most Bayliners are a bit like Camrys.....dented and not in the finest shape because they are a "family" boat with a lower point of entry. You will get a lot of return on 10 grand with that thing.
I haven't taken many detailed photos, I will as I have more regular access to it.

The thing is in phenomenal shape for it's year/age. This wasn't treated like the family's Camry, this was treated like the old man's Corvette. It was purchased as new and that was a VERY proud moment for the family. It was chosen a bit like a Corvette in a way, they wanted a V8 boat...and the best bang for the buck was a 21' Bayliner. Bayliner was chosen not just because of price point, but because of ease of service and broad dealer network. It was still $30k in 2001, which is like $45k today. The cleaning and maintenance regimen was :mindblown: and it shows on the boat.

It's not perfect, there's some cracks in the gel coat on top of the gunwale on the port side, but it's nothing compared to other 20 year old boats I've looked at, even much "fancier" Sea Rays, Four Winns, etc look more worse for wear. My boat has the same engine/outdrive combo as those fancy boats, add in the fully replaced interior 3 years ago, and it's easily the nicest 20 year old boat I could find.

This was going to be a "forever" boat. Dad died and left the aunt money, so she decided to :troywax: on her dream boat. Add in that family discount, and I'm stoked. Really can't wait to get it in the water.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm
:dat: This thing is so much nicer than any of the used Bayliners i looked at when I was in the market......

PS The boat will be pretty loud with those earmuffs on...... basically like straightpipes on a car..... because the water is what usually muffles the sound....
I intend to hook a hose up to the earmuffs and run water through the engine while it warms up. If it's dry, the engine temp will just shoot instantly to the moon and do little to warm/circulate the engine oil, I imagine.

The question is, how loud will it be spitting water on the ground? Somewhat quieter than straight pipes, but louder than having the boat in the water. Probably pretty loud, so it's probably better to do it at home in the middle of nowhere. All my neighbors have boats, so it won't be a big deal here.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm
Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm

PS The boat will be pretty loud with those earmuffs on...... basically like straightpipes on a car..... because the water is what usually muffles the sound....
I intend to hook a hose up to the earmuffs and run water through the engine while it warms up. If it's dry, the engine temp will just shoot instantly to the moon and do little to warm/circulate the engine oil, I imagine.

The question is, how loud will it be spitting water on the ground? Somewhat quieter than straight pipes, but louder than having the boat in the water. Probably pretty loud, so it's probably better to do it at home in the middle of nowhere. All my neighbors have boats, so it won't be a big deal here.
The water going through it is to replace the engine sucking up lake/ocean water for cooling.

The exhaust usually comes out through the middle of the prop. There are no mufflers or resonators, So its exactly like strightpipes and there is usually no engine soundproofing either.

But as long as you don't rev the living shit out of it, it will be quieter than Harleys going by.

However in a quiet neighborhood with lots of houses and garages for sound to bounce off of ....it will be quite noticeable when you rev it.
Last edited by Irish on Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:23 pm

The water going through it is to replace the engine sucking up lake/ocean water for cooling. The exhaust usually comes out through the middle of the prop. There are no mufflers or resonators, So its exactly like strightpipes and there is usually no engine soundproofing either. But as long as you don't rev the living shit out of it, it will be quieter than Harleys going by. But in a quiet neighborhood with lots of houses and garages for sound to bounce off of ....it will be quite noticeable.
Bunker in da woods should be fine.
ChrisoftheNorth

The water going through it is to replace the engine sucking up lake/ocean water for cooling. The exhaust usually comes out through the middle of the prop. There are no mufflers or resonators, So its exactly like strightpipes and there is usually no engine soundproofing either. But as long as you don't rev the living shit out of it, it will be quieter than Harleys going by. But in a quiet neighborhood with lots of houses and garages for sound to bounce off of ....it will be quite noticeable.
I thought the water mixed in with the exhaust right before exiting the boat? The exhaust manifolds have a bunch of crap on them that I assumed had to do with the water mixing somehow...

Still, I'm not going to rev it much, I really just want to let it idle up to operating temp to circulate the oil around before changing. I always change the oil in my cars hot, I don't see why the boat would be different since the engine looks exactly like the countless SBC's I've worked on in my life.

It does run a bit rich, and my dad is a carb tuning guru, so I'm hoping to convince him to take a few minutes to look at it with me while it's running. He hates boats (he wants it out of his garage RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, but I convinced him to let me leave it another week for fear of freezing), so he'll probably go off and do something else while I fumble around with it, but that's the only case where it might get revved a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:33 pm

Bunker in da woods should be fine.
Yea, it's the safest bet. Nobody will care here...hell, I bet those that still service their boats themselves will be doing the same thing this weekend. Last weekend our next door neighbors with the Chris Craft had it running a bit, presumably for the same reason. Houses are spread out enough that it's barely audible.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 pm

I thought the water mixed in with the exhaust right before exiting the boat? The exhaust manifolds have a bunch of crap on them that I assumed had to do with the water mixing somehow...

Still, I'm not going to rev it much, I really just want to let it idle up to operating temp to circulate the oil around before changing. I always change the oil in my cars hot, I don't see why the boat would be different since the engine looks exactly like the countless SBC's I've worked on in my life.

It does run a bit rich, and my dad is a carb tuning guru, so I'm hoping to convince him to take a few minutes to look at it with me while it's running. He hates boats (he wants it out of his garage RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, but I convinced him to let me leave it another week for fear of freezing), so he'll probably go off and do something else while I fumble around with it, but that's the only case where it might get revved a bit.
The earmuffs are placed on the Inlet holes on the Outboard and the water is sucked into the water jackets of the engine, Basically what ever water you're in becomes your radiator. Its possible that the water might be mixed with exhaust in some applications but my Mercruiser engine did not work that way. The cooling water was squirted out through outlets above the water line so you could ensure that you were getting circulation. The exhaust was expelled out the center of the prop.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:48 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 pm

The earmuffs are placed on the Inlet holes on the Outboard and the water is sucked into the water jackets of the engine, Basically what ever water you're in becomes your radiator. Its possible that the water might be mixed with exhaust in some applications but my Mercruiser engine did not work that way. The cooling water was squirted out through outlets above the water line so you could ensure that you were getting circulation. The exhaust was expelled out the center of the prop.
Oh, interesting about how the exhaust is expelled. I'll have to look closer at my boat, and I'll find out soon enough when I change the oil.

I could change the oil with the boat in the water, but my boat has a remote oil line connected to the bottom of the oil pan and the drain plug in the hull. Pull the plug in the hull and the oil line comes out, and that's what you use to drain the engine oil. Seems 5/7, especially since I don't own a pump to pull the oil through the dip stick.
Irish

I think is possible that some water is introduced into the exhaust system but you can see it coming out as a "gas" from the prop
Irish

My boat was a lot older so yours could be different. Plus I am no expert. Yours might be an enclosed system where there is anti freeze but the raw water is circulated through a heat exchanger to cool the coolant.

But the exhaust is likely vented through the prop.

ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm My boat was a lot older so yours could be different. Plus I am no expert. Yours might be an enclosed system where there is anti freeze but the raw water is circulated through a heat exchanger to cool the coolant.

Nah, the boat isn't that complex. There's no coolant, water from the lake just goes in and comes out I imagine just like the video.

I'm curious where the exhaust is vented, didn't look like through the prop, but it's possible. Will be a fun learning experience.
Irish

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm
Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:13 pm My boat was a lot older so yours could be different. Plus I am no expert. Yours might be an enclosed system where there is anti freeze but the raw water is circulated through a heat exchanger to cool the coolant.

Nah, the boat isn't that complex. There's no coolant, water from the lake just goes in and comes out I imagine just like the video.

I'm curious where the exhaust is vented, didn't look like through the prop, but it's possible. Will be a fun learning experience.
Yeah for sure man.... I am looking forward to living vicariously through you so please update as much as is reasonable...
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

It's through the prop.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Yeah for sure man.... I am looking forward to living vicariously through you so please update as much as is reasonable...
Oh, will do! I'll move over to my thread once I start getting more into it. I don't really have any other interesting cars, so the boat will be the focus, and it'll be fun learning. I think I'm the only active boater here now.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm

It's through the prop.
Very interesting.

From a mechanical engineering standpoint, the outdrive fascinates me. It handles so much and it's so elegantly designed. They also manage to be rather reliable if maintained.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:34 pm

It's through the prop.
Very interesting.

From a mechanical engineering standpoint, the outdrive fascinates me. It handles so much and it's so elegantly designed. They also manage to be rather reliable if maintained.
From a power to weight standpoint the outboard is superior. But from a horsepower per dollar standpoint the I/O is clearly superior. Modern high horsepower 4 cycle outboards are VERY EXPENSIVE. I/Osalso accommodates things recreational boaters like like swim platforms, sun decks, etc. The i/0 lets car engines get placed in boats.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:06 pm
Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 pm
Very interesting.

From a power to weight standpoint the outboard is superior. But from a horsepower per dollar standpoint the I/O is clearly superior. Modern high horsepower 4 cycle outboards are VERY EXPENSIVE. I/Osalso accommodates things recreational boaters like like swim platforms, sun decks, etc. The i/0 lets car engines get placed in boats.
Outboards seem to power everything modern these days. I get it from a simplicity standpoint, and there's really no downside other than cost. Even then, it's hard to find new I/O boats.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:35 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 5:06 pm

Outboards seem to power everything modern these days. I get it from a simplicity standpoint, and there's really no downside other than cost. Even then, it's hard to find new I/O boats.
Most manufacturers do both. https://cobaltboats.com/?source_campaig ... gKO0PD_BwE

Outboards used to be for fishermen, offshore and speed guys because 2 cycle. Modern four cycle outboards have changed the game.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm https://www.sea-doo.com/us/en/pontoons.html

The Sea-Doo Switch is :amaze:
This thing is amazing innovation, l love it.
rockchops
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

found the boat thread
ChrisoftheNorth

rockchops wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:35 am found the boat thread
Nice! Saw your post in OT, what questions ya got?

I've learned quite a bit about boats and boating in the last year. I've got a 2001 21' Bayliner Bowrider with a 5.0L Mercruiser V8 (small block Chevy). We keep it on a 4k lbs boat hoist with 24' awning in our slip on Lake Michigan in the summer. It stays in my dad's heated garage in the winter.