Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Melon wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:31 am I get the sentiment 100% doe.
As evidenced by the many boat owners in the US, many don't share my sentiment. Also, the nice thing about a garaged car, is it's not actively getting beat to shit daily sitting outdoors in the water. If I had a proper garage, I would much be much more likely to still have one of those BMWs.

I am also amazed at the number of guys at NASA events who clearly own something like a spec Miata/E36, a super duty truck, toy hauler/camper, and associated spares/tools. While I'd love to get into a series like that, it is three+ vehicles to store/maintain/pay for which is a lot to fit into any lifestyle.

This is another thing with boats you have to haul 45 minutes... you either need to daily a :truk: or add an additional vehicle to your household to tow the thing. There's nothing wring with that inherently, but you have to really want a boat.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:36 pm
As evidenced by the many boat owners in the US, many don't share my sentiment. Also, the nice thing about a garaged car, is it's not actively getting beat to shit daily sitting outdoors in the water. If I had a proper garage, I would much be much more likely to still have one of those BMWs.

I am also amazed at the number of guys at NASA events who clearly own something like a spec Miata/E36, a super duty truck, toy hauler/camper, and associated spares/tools. While I'd love to get into a series like that, it is three+ vehicles to store/maintain/pay for which is a lot to fit into any lifestyle.

This is another thing with boats you have to haul 45 minutes... you either need to daily a :truk: or add an additional vehicle to your household to tow the thing. There's nothing wring with that inherently, but you have to really want a boat.
It never made sense to me either....but I will say that for many the definition of a DD and what it needs to do is changing. I only drive my vehicle when I need to go somewhere, which is rare. Spending a lot of money on some fancy car thing that I rarely drive is tough. Which is why I ordered the cucktruck, to see if I could just treat my primary vehicle as purely a tool to enable work, but more importantly other fun activities. I could get any toy and that truck will tow/haul it. Side by side, track car, boat, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, etc, etc, the cucktruck handles it. Roads suck to drive on these days, so if I just treat roads as a path to get to fun activities, the cucktruck fits the bill perfectly. I think others will start to think the same, if they haven't already.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:39 pm

It never made sense to me either....but I will say that for many the definition of a DD and what it needs to do is changing. I only drive my vehicle when I need to go somewhere, which is rare. Spending a lot of money on some fancy car thing that I rarely drive is tough. Which is why I ordered the cucktruck, to see if I could just treat my primary vehicle as purely a tool to enable work, but more importantly other fun activities. I could get any toy and that truck will tow/haul it. Side by side, track car, boat, dirt bikes, mountain bikes, etc, etc, the cucktruck handles it. Roads suck to drive on these days, so if I just treat roads as a path to get to fun activities, the cucktruck fits the bill perfectly. I think others will start to think the same, if they haven't already.
There are definite advantages to CuckTruck life. I have a small city house so I can't feasibly ever own things like side by sides, so it is sort of a moot point in my case. My goal is to have fun on the way to MTB trails, that is really the most driving I do in a typical week now. Once to the grocery store, once to MTB, maybe a random Lowe's or something else occasionally.

Vehicle needs have definitely changed :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

Anyone know anything about Bayliners?

Wife's aunt and uncle have a 2001 Bayliner Capri 2150 (21.5 feet long) with a V8 (unsure if 5.0 or 5.7). They replaced all the vinyl last year and had the engine "gone through" as an overall refresh. Wife's grandfather passed, so her aunt used the inheritance to buy a brand new tritune, they're planning to sell the Bayliner in the spring for $16k.

Offered us the boat for $10k. They've owned it for 15 years, she and her husband are loaded so they kept up with maintenance perfectly. It has spent it's entire life on lake mead, so never seen salt water.

I don't know much about them, but the layout looks great for what we want, and the price is in budget. Seems to me like it I couldn't really lose much on it knowing so much of the boat's history, especially compared to something random on FBM. I just need to drive to lake mead to pick it up (nbd since I'm itching for a road trip anyway).
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Detroit wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:13 pm Anyone know anything about Bayliners?

Wife's aunt and uncle have a 2001 Bayliner Capri 2150 (21.5 feet long) with a V8 (unsure if 5.0 or 5.7). They replaced all the vinyl last year and had the engine "gone through" as an overall refresh. Wife's grandfather passed, so her aunt used the inheritance to buy a brand new tritune, they're planning to sell the Bayliner in the spring for $16k.

Offered us the boat for $10k. They've owned it for 15 years, she and her husband are loaded so they kept up with maintenance perfectly. It has spent it's entire life on lake mead, so never seen salt water.

I don't know much about them, but the layout looks great for what we want, and the price is in budget. Seems to me like it I couldn't really lose much on it, just need to drive to lake mead to pick it up (nbd since I'm itching for a road trip anyway).
Bayliner is a budget brand so if you go into it with realistic expectations there's nothing wrong with them.

Check and see which drive unit and engine it has. Comps for that boat seem to be 7k-10k potentially not sure $10k is much of a deal. IIRC there was also a 4.3 V8.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:15 pm

I don't know much about them, but the layout looks great for what we want, and the price is in budget. Seems to me like it I couldn't really lose much on it, just need to drive to lake mead to pick it up (nbd since I'm itching for a road trip anyway).
Bayliner is a budget brand so if you go into it with realistic expectations there's nothing wrong with them.

Check and see which drive unit and engine it has. Comps for that boat seem to be 7k-10k potentially not sure $10k is much of a deal. IIRC there was also a 4.3 V8.
My opinion as well...
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I had a 84 Cobia 17 footer and then a 94 21 foot Chaparral. Both Bow Riders. The Cobia was a budget brand and was way too small but its 90hp outboard ran like a top. We had a blast up at the the Thousand Islands with it. I sold it for what I paid for it a few seasons after I bought it ($2500).

The Chappie was gorgeous and the size was perfect. It was an Inboard outboard with a Buick 6. Unfortunately first trip (Ocean City MD) an exhaust baffle came off the back and the engine flooded with seawater. Bye bye boatie. I would have had to "sink" another $5k into it to save it (I paid about that for it) and I just sold it for like $800.

I looked at a bunch of Bayliners before buying it... they're fine if well taken care of but they are definitely on the budget side of things.

As Eric mentioned, If I were to do it again, I would go newer...and I would go with brands nearer the higher end. Regal, Four Winns, Sea Ray, Grady White, Chapparal et al.

Boats are definitely a pay to play scenario. There will be issues. But I do really love being out on the water.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Out of curiosity, what makes a boat a budget brand? Is there any comparison to cars? Are the lower brands less reliable?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 pm Out of curiosity, what makes a boat a budget brand? Is there any comparison to cars? Are the lower brands less reliable?
Build quality, drive units (MerCruiser vs Volvo Penta etc), hull design, and component quality.

Get into a Bayliner, Four Winn's, and a Cobalt, and you'll notice differences even if nobody told you.

Think vw, audi, and bentley etc. Just like RVs and campers, most brands are owned by just a few parent companies, and they make boats of all sizes and quality levels to suit whatever a customer is looking for.
Acid666
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

You can do it cheaper.
My silverado, meowta, and trailer have a total price of $8,500 or so. The miata and silverado cost me $3k each. Trailer was about 2500.
An old beater goes a long way for towing the toys. It is so much better towing to autocross. Get home in the dark? No worries... park the bitch and unload it the next day.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 pm I had a 84 Cobia 17 footer and then a 94 21 foot Chaparral. Both Bow Riders. The Cobia was a budget brand and was way too small but its 90hp outboard ran like a top. We had a blast up at the the Thousand Islands with it. I sold it for what I paid for it a few seasons after I bought it ($2500).

The Chappie was gorgeous and the size was perfect. It was an Inboard outboard with a Buick 6. Unfortunately first trip (Ocean City MD) an exhaust baffle came off the back and the engine flooded with seawater. Bye bye boatie. I would have had to "sink" another $5k into it to save it (I paid about that for it) and I just sold it for like $800.

I looked at a bunch of Bayliners before buying it... they're fine if well taken care of but they are definitely on the budget side of things.

As Eric mentioned, If I were to do it again, I would go newer...and I would go with brands nearer the higher end. Regal, Four Winns, Sea Ray, Grady White, Chapparal et al.

Boats are definitely a pay to play scenario. There will be issues. But I do really love being out on the water.
Thanks for chiming in!

That Chapparal is gorgeous and I think a ~20' bowrider is what we want. Problem is boat values have gone insane the last year, and haven't let up, so might wait until next season or so to pick something up. Though, wife's aunt's Bayliner for $10k might not lose a ton of value, and we know most of it's history, so it remains an option regardless of deal.

Then there's this beauty...but more than I want to spend.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 203714644/
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:11 am
D Griff wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:07 pm Out of curiosity, what makes a boat a budget brand? Is there any comparison to cars? Are the lower brands less reliable?
Build quality, drive units (MerCruiser vs Volvo Penta etc), hull design, and component quality.

Get into a Bayliner, Four Winn's, and a Cobalt, and you'll notice differences even if nobody told you.

Think vw, audi, and bentley etc. Just like RVs and campers, most brands are owned by just a few parent companies, and they make boats of all sizes and quality levels to suit whatever a customer is looking for.
For my first boat, I don't really care THAT much. I really want something with a low cost of entry that'll hold some value in case we decide it's not for us.

Just like cars, I value a reliable drivetrain that's been well cared for. The rest is whatever.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:17 pm
Irish wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:48 pm I had a 84 Cobia 17 footer and then a 94 21 foot Chaparral. Both Bow Riders. The Cobia was a budget brand and was way too small but its 90hp outboard ran like a top. We had a blast up at the the Thousand Islands with it. I sold it for what I paid for it a few seasons after I bought it ($2500).

Thanks for chiming in!

That Chapparal is gorgeous and I think a ~20' bowrider is what we want. Problem is boat values have gone insane the last year, and haven't let up, so might wait until next season or so to pick something up. Though, wife's aunt's Bayliner for $10k might not lose a ton of value, and we know most of it's history, so it remains an option regardless of deal.

That's a gorgeous fucking boat. It looks all of $30k to me. That would stand out on the water.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:18 pm
Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:17 pm
Thanks for chiming in!

That's a gorgeous fucking boat. It looks all of $30k to me. That would stand out on the water.
It does...but just more than I want to spend by 3x.

I want it bad though, it's just so beautiful.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:24 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:18 pm

It does...but just more than I want to spend by 3x.

I want it bad though, it's just so beautiful.
I get it. That's me when I see a $15k Cutlass Supreme and shit :yikes:
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I don't know much about them, but the layout looks great for what we want, and the price is in budget. Seems to me like it I couldn't really lose much on it knowing so much of the boat's history, especially compared to something random on FBM. I just need to drive to lake mead to pick it up (nbd since I'm itching for a road trip anyway).
They are pretty much budget tupperware, you are in no danger of flexing on anyone. But a great way to see if you like boating or not.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to pick up the aunt's Bayliner. The $10k boat market is a tough one (I'm not really interested in gambling more than $10k on this experiment), and locally $10k boats tend to have some spotted history and/or rough around the edges. Aunt's boat is turnkey always maintained in great shape...but what I've discovered is that the 2150 model with a V8 (this one is a 5.0 Mercruiser) is particularly rare in our area. We've talked to a few friends and I called a few local dealers regarding some listed boats, and the general consensus is a V8 boat (any) that's been maintained and cared for under $15k is a boat worth buying in the current market in northern MI. They simply aren't listed for sale, and a :dillerman: told me that he's been selling V8 boats as soon as they come in, even during the winter. If we want a good boat to enjoy this summer, the options are really slim.

Then, to make the case better, Aunt invited us out to lake mead where the boat is where she and her husband will show us everything there is to know about the boat, take us through launching it, trailering it, the whole 9 yards, and if we decide that it's not for us, they'll sell it elsewhere and we get a learning vacation out of the deal. Being our first boat, this is big to me. No other seller is going to do this, and I even looked to see if there's any sort of "beginner boating" type courses locally and couldn't find one. One dealer said they sometimes will take clients out on organized events in the spring, but nothing one-on-one.

The plan that's being hatched is to drive out for Easter. I've been jonesing for a cross-country adventure, and this is perfect. Spend the weekend in lake mead with the family, learn the boat, and if we like it, hitch it up and take it home with us. It just so happens to be the time when my dad is planning to start heading back east in his bus for the spring, so we're hoping to follow along with him and stay in the bus to make the trip more affordable. I'll probably take 2 weeks off of work and plan on hitting up some notable lakes and national parks on the way back. Thinking lake powell in UT/AZ, Ozarks in MIssouri, etc to make the trip home a vacation on its own, all while getting to exercise the boat and experience water that we'll probably never get to again.

Last piece of the puzzle we're working on now is with the HOA to get our slip and understand lift requirements. Our house has apparently never had a slip, so there's some logistics to iron out. Should be enough time before spring, but we'll see.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

:fuckyeah:
:excited: :popcorn:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:25 am It's looking increasingly likely that we're going to pick up the aunt's Bayliner. The $10k boat market is a tough one (I'm not really interested in gambling more than $10k on this experiment), and locally $10k boats tend to have some spotted history and/or rough around the edges. Aunt's boat is turnkey always maintained in great shape...but what I've discovered is that the 2150 model with a V8 (this one is a 5.0 Mercruiser) is particularly rare in our area. We've talked to a few friends and I called a few local dealers regarding some listed boats, and the general consensus is a V8 boat (any) that's been maintained and cared for under $15k is a boat worth buying in the current market in northern MI. They simply aren't listed for sale, and a :dillerman: told me that he's been selling V8 boats as soon as they come in, even during the winter. If we want a good boat to enjoy this summer, the options are really slim.

Then, to make the case better, Aunt invited us out to lake mead where the boat is where she and her husband will show us everything there is to know about the boat, take us through launching it, trailering it, the whole 9 yards, and if we decide that it's not for us, they'll sell it elsewhere and we get a learning vacation out of the deal. Being our first boat, this is big to me. No other seller is going to do this, and I even looked to see if there's any sort of "beginner boating" type courses locally and couldn't find one. One dealer said they sometimes will take clients out on organized events in the spring, but nothing one-on-one.

The plan that's being hatched is to drive out for Easter. I've been jonesing for a cross-country adventure, and this is perfect. Spend the weekend in lake mead with the family, learn the boat, and if we like it, hitch it up and take it home with us. It just so happens to be the time when my dad is planning to start heading back east in his bus for the spring, so we're hoping to follow along with him and stay in the bus to make the trip more affordable. I'll probably take 2 weeks off of work and plan on hitting up some notable lakes and national parks on the way back. Thinking lake powell in UT/AZ, Ozarks in MIssouri, etc to make the trip home a vacation on its own, all while getting to exercise the boat and experience water that we'll probably never get to again.

Last piece of the puzzle we're working on now is with the HOA to get our slip and understand lift requirements. Our house has apparently never had a slip, so there's some logistics to iron out. Should be enough time before spring, but we'll see.
I see nothing wrong with this line of thinking, buying a trusted and desirable boat is what I'd be doing in your shoes. What an epic trip that will be, I'd :doit:
Irish
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

This is pretty great scenario all around. With the market as it is, you can't get hurt. Plus the hands on instruction/vacay is priceless.... no other situ will give you that.

I had to self learn with the first boat and not knowing the mechanics of the second one literally cost me the boat.....

My guess is that you are going to love boat ownership....especially with not having to haul, launch, retrailer and haul for every outing......

And that V8 is going to make it fun as hell....

In 4 future deets.....
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:49 am This is pretty great scenario all around. With the market as it is, you can't get hurt. Plus the hands on instruction/vacay is priceless.... no other situ will give you that.

I had to self learn with the first boat and not knowing the mechanics of the second one literally cost me the boat.....

My guess is that you are going to love boat ownership....especially with not having to haul, launch, retrailer and haul for every outing......

In 4 future deets.....
Thanks dude! Appreciate the thoughts from a seasoned boat owner.

Aunt claims the boat is "really fast", research indicates it should be capable of ~50, which I know is nearly :plaid: on the water. I want something on the more fun/fast side since I'm out of land going vehicles at the moment. Want to have vehicular fun somehow, and easy access helps.

Since they've owned it so long, they know all the little things to make sure it goes forever, and will show us. They're the type of people that take VERY good care of their possessions, so I'm the grand scheme, it feels like the best choice to try boating.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Irish wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:49 am This is pretty great scenario all around. With the market as it is, you can't get hurt. Plus the hands on instruction/vacay is priceless.... no other situ will give you that.

In 4 future deets.....

Aunt claims the boat is "really fast", research indicates it should be capable of ~50, which I know is nearly :plaid: on the water. I want something on the more fun/fast side since I'm out of land going vehicles at the moment. Want to have vehicular fun somehow, and easy access helps.

Since they've owned it so long, they know all the little things to make sure it goes forever, and will show us. They're the type of people that take VERY good care of their possessions, so I'm the grand scheme, it feels like the best choice to try boating.
Nice man! A trusted seller is worth a lot, IMO. Plus... tough market for any fun things with the 'VID.

Do you have any pictures of this machine?
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Absolutely nothing wrong with a well kept boat for $10K.

This whole ZOMG we can't blow thousands of dollars in restaurants and bars so instead we will blow it on bikes, RVs, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles continues to boggle my mind. The RV market in 2 years is going to be ripe for the picking.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:23 pm Absolutely nothing wrong with a well kept boat for $10K.

This whole ZOMG we can't blow thousands of dollars in restaurants and bars so instead we will blow it on bikes, RVs, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles continues to boggle my mind. The RV market in 2 years is going to be ripe for the picking.
Yea, makes zero sense at all.

My plan was to pick up a boat in a few years when they can be had for pennies on the dollar. BUT, the opportunity for the family boat is probably worth going after, and we'll get a few extra years of enjoyment on the water. It should still be worth ~$10k in a few years anyway if I feel the need to upgrade, which I highly doubt.

I'm lobbying the wife hard to sell the glamper in the spring, though. I'd love to cash in on the stupidity right now, and since we live in our vacation destination with a boat to take out on the water at will, I think we'll want to be sipping beverages on the boat more than sitting in the woods getting eaten by bugs. Let someone else pay me for that privilege.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:03 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:13 pm

Nice man! A trusted seller is worth a lot, IMO. Plus... tough market for any fun things with the 'VID.

Do you have any pictures of this machine?
Wife has a number of pics, I'll get them from her. It's blue and white :doe: :notbad: