Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:23 pm Absolutely nothing wrong with a well kept boat for $10K.

This whole ZOMG we can't blow thousands of dollars in restaurants and bars so instead we will blow it on bikes, RVs, boats, ATVs and snowmobiles continues to boggle my mind. The RV market in 2 years is going to be ripe for the picking.
Yea, makes zero sense at all.

My plan was to pick up a boat in a few years when they can be had for pennies on the dollar. BUT, the opportunity for the family boat is probably worth going after, and we'll get a few extra years of enjoyment on the water. It should still be worth ~$10k in a few years anyway if I feel the need to upgrade, which I highly doubt.

I'm lobbying the wife hard to sell the glamper in the spring, though. I'd love to cash in on the stupidity right now, and since we live in our vacation destination with a boat to take out on the water at will, I think we'll want to be sipping beverages on the boat more than sitting in the woods getting eaten by bugs. Let someone else pay me for that privilege.
Your glamper now has a TOWER.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:34 pm
Yea, makes zero sense at all.

My plan was to pick up a boat in a few years when they can be had for pennies on the dollar. BUT, the opportunity for the family boat is probably worth going after, and we'll get a few extra years of enjoyment on the water. It should still be worth ~$10k in a few years anyway if I feel the need to upgrade, which I highly doubt.

I'm lobbying the wife hard to sell the glamper in the spring, though. I'd love to cash in on the stupidity right now, and since we live in our vacation destination with a boat to take out on the water at will, I think we'll want to be sipping beverages on the boat more than sitting in the woods getting eaten by bugs. Let someone else pay me for that privilege.
Your glamper now has a TOWER.
Exactly. It often feels like we're permanently glamping, so why keep the camper around? I'll be happy to camp in the woods with buddies, but I can use the tent for that.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm https://www.n3boatworks.com/Pre-Owned-I ... na-9989298

This is so hot
It's both a Malibu AND a Corvette? :mindblown:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

CaleDeRoo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:03 pm https://www.n3boatworks.com/Pre-Owned-I ... na-9989298

This is so hot
That is a kick ass trailer.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Ass looks better than the real C5

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

This is so hot
:impressive: It even has the C4 interior and the same steering wheel as my car :lolol:

:megusta:
ChrisoftheNorth

2001 Bayliner Capri 215

21' bowrider with 5.0 mercruiser and alpha 1 sterndrive. 225 hours when we drove it away. Wife's aunt bought it new and maintained it religiously. The stack of paperwork that came with the boat is more :impressive: than any car I've bought. Preventative maintenance, if anything even remotely failed it was replaced, also came with half a truckload of spare parts, cleaners, covers, props, etc. Interior was completely redone 2 years ago with new vinyl and carpet, new wake tower and bimini added at the same time. All for $10k it was a fantastic :dill: especially compared to what I could find in MI.

We spent 2 whole days bombing Lake Mead in the thing. Lake Mead on it's own is :mindblown: awesome. 5/7 experience that made driving out entirely worth it. But better, aunt took insane time and detail to show us EVERYTHING. Practiced launching and docking. Practiced fueling. Learned all the subtle nuances to driving around. She mentioned that they've never driven the boat over 30 mph, which it like 3k RPM for the engine. The thing is never been stressed in its life. It's :impressive: quick and insanely responsive whipping around. The freedom in the water is absolutely awesome, and I can't wait to get it in our bay to play and explore more. The boat needs nothing, it was just serviced and checked out by their mechanic last fall. I'm debating changing the oil just so I know how to do it, but we'll see.

So far, boat ownershit is off to a great start.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

Detroit wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:18 am Image

2001 Bayliner Capri 215

21' bowrider with 5.0 mercruiser and alpha 1 sterndrive. 225 hours when we drove it away. Wife's aunt bought it new and maintained it religiously. The stack of paperwork that came with the boat is more :impressive: than any car I've bought. Preventative maintenance, if anything even remotely failed it was replaced, also came with half a truckload of spare parts, cleaners, covers, props, etc. Interior was completely redone 2 years ago with new vinyl and carpet, new wake tower and bimini added at the same time. All for $10k it was a fantastic :dill: especially compared to what I could find in MI.

We spent 2 whole days bombing Lake Mead in the thing. Lake Mead on it's own is :mindblown: awesome. 5/7 experience that made driving out entirely worth it. But better, aunt took insane time and detail to show us EVERYTHING. Practiced launching and docking. Practiced fueling. Learned all the subtle nuances to driving around. She mentioned that they've never driven the boat over 30 mph, which it like 3k RPM for the engine. The thing is never been stressed in its life. It's :impressive: quick and insanely responsive whipping around. The freedom in the water is absolutely awesome, and I can't wait to get it in our bay to play and explore more. The boat needs nothing, it was just serviced and checked out by their mechanic last fall. I'm debating changing the oil just so I know how to do it, but we'll see.

:impressive: Wow, she's a beaut! Looks brand new. I'll bet that is one of the most well taken care of boats in the country..... and that hands on instruction is priceless.....
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

This is so hot
Oh look, the most random boat store ever. I drive by this place every day we take the kids to daycare and I always think ":wtf: is boat dealer doing in the middle of Indianapolis?" There are three little reservoirs around the city but nothing else. I have no idea what they're doing here.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

2001 Bayliner Capri 215

5/7! Hope you get a ton of enjoyment out of it.
ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:24 am

2001 Bayliner Capri 215

:impressive: Wow, she's a beaut! Looks brand new. I'll bet that is one of the most well taken care of boats in the country..... and that hands on instruction is priceless.....
There's a few stress cracks in the gel coat at the base of the windshield on both sides, and they're barely noticeable. They're the only nits I can find to pick on it :aintcare: on a 20 year old boat. May try to repair them eventually, but I'd rather be out on the water.

It does need an upgraded bluetooth stereo :doe: Tunes are critical.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Wife's aunt keeping it tight for the next guy! :impressive: maintenance and what a deal! The extra stuff along must be worth 2-3k. I wish I had a boat, but it isn't a practical purchase for another decade. If I do get one, I'd be considering one like yours, a v8 inboard/bow rider/and probably 16 ft unless Huron needs something a touch bigger, then I'd be looking at the smallest acceptable size.

Good luck with it, it should be an :excited: summer for y'all!
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am Wife's aunt keeping it tight for the next guy! :impressive: maintenance and what a deal! The extra stuff along must be worth 2-3k. I wish I had a boat, but it isn't a practical purchase for another decade. If I do get one, I'd be considering one like yours, a v8 inboard/bow rider/and probably 16 ft unless Huron needs something a touch bigger, then I'd be looking at the smallest acceptable size.

It's going to be an awesome summer, super :excited:

I wouldn't consider the boat at all if we didn't have the slip on Lake MI to keep it on. It's fun, but it's not fun enough to make it worth trailering around all the time.

I will say, that while at lake mead we saw a few other 16-18 foot boats in the marina, and the extra length of ours is going to be very appreciated. Not just more interior space, but stability is nice on bigger water.
Irish

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:33 am Wife's aunt keeping it tight for the next guy! :impressive: maintenance and what a deal! The extra stuff along must be worth 2-3k. I wish I had a boat, but it isn't a practical purchase for another decade. If I do get one, I'd be considering one like yours, a v8 inboard/bow rider/and probably 16 ft unless Huron needs something a touch bigger, then I'd be looking at the smallest acceptable size.

You will likely want to go a bit bigger on a body of water that big. The great Lakes actually have tides. And larger boats will rock the hell out smaller ones.

I mean you can get by with smaller.....if you a are very choosey about when you go....... but I'll never forget being forced to out run an unexpected heavy storm in my 17 footer on the St Lawrence Seaway near Lake Ontario....

Big water is no joke when bad weather comes in....
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Irish wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:12 pm

You will likely want to go a bit bigger on a body of water that big. The great Lakes actually have tides. And larger boats will rock the hell out smaller ones.

I mean you can get by with smaller.....if you a are very choosey about when you go....... but I'll never forget being forced to out run an unexpected heavy storm in my 17 footer on the St Lawrence Seaway near Lake Ontario....

That doesn't sound appealing. I wouldn't be able to cheaply own a bigger boat, a slip and storage fees are outside of my plan which would be to tuck the trailer into the garage in Grand Bend and drag it to the public launching :dock:

I'd probably be better off with dual jet skis. All that sounds too :waxer: for me :doe: , so you'll see me at the rental place at the beach, a charter boat, or this... my buddy has an offer pending on financing and COVID delays (we are on a 30 day lockdown).

40' bitch costing $140k. :troywax:

wap

2001 Bayliner Capri 215

:dat: is some :impressive: :alpo: dude. It's 5/7 :nice:
wap

:wat: did she pay for it new?
wap

Tarspin wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:28 pm

That doesn't sound appealing. I wouldn't be able to cheaply own a bigger boat, a slip and storage fees are outside of my plan which would be to tuck the trailer into the garage in Grand Bend and drag it to the public launching :dock:

I'd probably be better off with dual jet skis. All that sounds too :waxer: for me :doe: , so you'll see me at the rental place at the beach, a charter boat, or this... my buddy has an offer pending on financing and COVID delays (we are on a 30 day lockdown).

Oh that's :jimp:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

wap wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:45 pm

Oh that's :jimp:
:dat: , I'd much rather have Dpacs size :doe:
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:44 pm :wat: did she pay for it new?
Good question. I have the original bill of sale, will need to look it up.

A boat like this new now is ~$40k.
Irish

That thing is something else..... :waxer:

!7" was great for rivers and creeks and smaller lakes......

I'd want a 21 or 24' for bigger water......

I would definitely rent a few times to see if boating is a fit for you.....
Irish

@Detroit Any updates on Sea-chelle the Belle of the LP?

ChrisoftheNorth

Irish wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:16 pm @Detroit Any updates on Sea-chelle the Belle of the LP?

:amazing:

The docks including our slip and hoist are scheduled to go in the water this weekend. The boat has been in my dad's heated garage downstate since we brought it home because I didn't want to winterize it for a month. Looks like we might finally be out of the risk of freezing after this week, so we're going down this weekend to get the boat. I want to change the engine oil and outdrive lube, and change the thermostat, which I believe is currently stuck open. I may do all that in my dad's garage, or do it up here at home, :notsure: how much work I want to do down there. The engine should really be brought up to operating temp before changing the oil, and I bought "earmuffs" to cycle water through the engine while I do, I just don't know how the city will react to my firing up the boat and letting it spew water and exhaust all over the ground (not that it hurts anything, people in the city are just nosy and :sass: ), also no idea how loud it's going to be.

Then it's get the boat in the water and on our hoist. We have some learning to do in that regard, but I'm looking forward to it greatly. Ideal boating weather is probably a month away still, so we have some time to get things in order and get used to everything. Just glad we're doing it all at the very beginning of the season so we'll get maximum enjoyment out of the setup.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

I have missed the pictures of the the boat. It is in spectacular condition. Most Bayliners are a bit like Camrys.....dented and not in the finest shape because they are a "family" boat with a lower point of entry. You will get a lot of return on 10 grand with that thing.