Boats and Motorized Floaty Things

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:29 pm Are we talking sail or motor ? I have some sail boat experience.
:gtfo: eco-boy. Ricky Bobby needs to go fast.
:( they come with motors...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:28 pm

:gtfo: eco-boy. Ricky Bobby needs to go fast.
I like the idea of a sailboat, just don't really have a place to keep it. Our slip is in shallow water.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:08 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 pm

I like the idea of a sailboat, just don't really have a place to keep it. Our slip is in shallow water.
10-4. Sail boats require the giant keel. So that won't work.

So why not get some shitty pontoon boat for like 15k and call it a day. You probably won't lose your ass on it and they are fun barges to derp in.

Or a wakeboarding rig

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/boa/d/ ... 06638.html
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

So why not get some shitty pontoon boat for like 15k and call it a day. You probably won't lose your ass on it and they are fun barges to derp in.

Or a wakeboarding rig

Pontoon boat would be chill, but I kind of want to try something that might be fun to drive on the water since I'm full cuck with road going vehicles.

That wake board boat would be 5/7.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

I really don't care for boats despite being around them my entire life. It's like owning a car that you only take out on the weekends, but have to plan your entire day around taking it out each time you want to do so.

In looking at boats, you need to have an idea of the water you are putting it into. If the seas can get choppy, then you don't want something that can't handle the swells.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:12 pm

Or a wakeboarding rig

That's a lot of boat for 15 grand. Also wakeboarding boats are straight inboards so you eliminate the outdrive area for things to go wrong.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin
Drives: C5

Please excuse the voice to text typos but if fun is what you're after skip the boat altogether and get a couple slightly used but well-maintained jet skis they are much easier to on a whim just get out and go for a blast now if you want an actual boat and you want something fast get a tritoon. They have really good straight line speed and stability but they're also the best entertainment option. I would also suggest before deciding on a preference between inboard and outboard ask around to what other people in your community use and and where they take their bolts for service there are some people that will only work on inboards there are some that will only work on outboards labor rates could potentially be different so those are just some things that you might want to consider.
ChrisoftheNorth

Is a boat not something I can maintain myself?
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 pm Is a boat not something I can maintain myself?
It is, but it might not be something you always want to do.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:10 pm Is a boat not something I can maintain myself?
Ugh.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm

Ugh.
Given potential wfh status and your mechanical aptitude I don't think you'd have any problem with a modern 4 stroke outboard pontoon.
ChrisoftheNorth

Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 pm I really don't care for boats despite being around them my entire life. It's like owning a car that you only take out on the weekends, but have to plan your entire day around taking it out each time you want to do so.

In looking at boats, you need to have an idea of the water you are putting it into. If the seas can get choppy, then you don't want something that can't handle the swells.
So, the all day thing.

Our neighbors will go down to the dock around 5, drop the boat in the water, cruise off for an hour or 2 and come back around sunset. Doesn't seem like a huge ordeal, but what am I missing?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

It seems to me the difficulty is where are you going to do this work? If you have a slip, that's cool and all, but if you want to work on the boat you would have to own a trailer to haul it back up to the cabin in the woods, right?

Maybe you can talk :tits: out of it under the grounds of a trailer sitting on your land being "white trashy", it seems the precedent for this argument has been set.
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:19 pm
Ugh.
Given potential wfh status and your mechanical aptitude I don't think you'd have any problem with a modern 4 stroke outboard pontoon.
Pontoons just aren't appealing to me. Seems like a lot of work for an experience that's the same as just sitting at the dock.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm
It seems to me the difficulty is where are you going to do this work? If you have a slip, that's cool and all, but if you want to work on the boat you would have to own a trailer to haul it back up to the cabin in the woods, right?

Maybe you can talk :tits: out of it under the grounds of a trailer sitting on your land being "white trashy", it seems the precedent for this argument has been set.
People here just park the boat trailers off the street, so that seems to be an acceptable solution.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:26 pm
Huckleberry wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:46 pm I really don't care for boats despite being around them my entire life. It's like owning a car that you only take out on the weekends, but have to plan your entire day around taking it out each time you want to do so.

So, the all day thing.

Our neighbors will go down to the dock around 5, drop the boat in the water, cruise off for an hour or 2 and come back around sunset. Doesn't seem like a huge ordeal, but what am I missing?
I think your setup is unique in that you can actually just go out and have fun for a couple of hours... it's like Zilch's Tail of the Dragon access - if he wants to bomb mountain roads, he can go have an evening of fun and be done with it. If I want to do similar, goodbye Saturday.

I do think there is value in aligning your hobbies and where you live. One of my favorite elements of where I live is that I can get to several tracks within a couple hours, tons of MTB in 30 minutes or less, or just get on a bike and go straight out of my driveway.

If I lived somewhere with a ton of snow, I would try to take up a snow hobby to not hate life for half the year.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:29 pm
So, the all day thing.

I think your setup is unique in that you can actually just go out and have fun for a couple of hours... it's like Zilch's Tail of the Dragon access - if he wants to bomb mountain roads, he can go have an evening of fun and be done with it. If I want to do similar, goodbye Saturday.

I do think there is value in aligning your hobbies and where you live. One of my favorite elements of where I live is that I can get to several tracks within a couple hours, tons of MTB in 30 minutes or less, or just get on a bike and go straight out of my driveway.

If I lived somewhere with a ton of snow, I would try to take up a snow hobby to not hate life for half the year.
We're going to get into snow sports (we have snowboards and the gear), but it's also why I'm really interested in a fat tire bike to ride on the snow. I've got tons of trails around me.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:28 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:25 pm

Pontoons just aren't appealing to me. Seems like a lot of work for an experience that's the same as just sitting at the dock.
What experience are you looking for?
ChrisoftheNorth

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:28 pm
:iono: I've never really spent time on a boat.

I'd like something smallish, nimble, and quick. Something that would be fun to go out and whip around the bay and lakes, can take friends out and chill in shallow waters for the afternoon, etc.

I really like the idea of smaller jet boats, but like Eric said, disposable jet ski engines don't interest me much.

Since I can't get another fun road going vehicle, I'm somewhat hoping to find a boat that could fill that void? Might not be doable. :iono:
Devilchrono
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: 22’ Chevy Blazer

The first question you should as is: What do you want to do with the boat?

Fish?
Ski/tube?
Relax?
Relax and grill on the water?

The answers above will determine what you should look at, as well as your budget/price point.

My only experience is with bass/fishing boats, so I'm not much help, though my dad tries to keep up with the industry and I could run questions by him if you'd like.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm

I'd like something smallish, nimble, and quick. Something that would be fun to go out and whip around the bay and lakes, can take friends out and chill in shallow waters for the afternoon, etc.

I really like the idea of smaller jet boats, but like Eric said, disposable jet ski engines don't interest me much.

Since I can't get another fun road going vehicle, I'm somewhat hoping to find a boat that could fill that void? Might not be doable. :iono:
I think a sundeck like this Hurricane might be a good option. They have open floorplans like pontoons but a more traditional hull design for a more nimble and fun feeling boat.

max225

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:47 pm

I think a sundeck like this Hurricane might be a good option. They have open floorplans like pontoons but a more traditional hull design for a more nimble and fun feeling boat.

Why is :mahtroy: sitting away in the corner from the fine ladies.
CaleDeRoo
Senior Master Sirloin
Senior Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:14 pm
CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm

:dedong: still reach
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

CaleDeRoo wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:16 pm
max225 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:14 pm

:dedong: still reach
:lolol:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
Huckleberry
Drives: 2004 GTO

So, the all day thing.

Are they not cleaning and covering the boat after each use? How far of a drive is it to the water?

Also, just cruising in a boat is fucking boring. If you aren't meeting up and anchoring with a group, you're doing it wrong.