2021 :plac: life!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

CaleDeRoo wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:16 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:23 pm

YTD toyota sold 90k hybrids and 22k primes … almost outselling it 5:1
Well yeah Toyota probably makes 5x more hybrids too.
:dat: I didn't even know there was a difference. :whocares:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:11 am Doesn't help that everyone here thinks the R is a better ownership experience then a Camry Hybrid...DON'T YOU EVEN CALCULATE MPGGEEE :bruh: ? Plus :dat: 208 HP combined battery/gas combo of pure unbridled fury Toyota style.
:notsure: if "better" just "different".
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:44 pm

The whole thing makes complete and total sense from a bean counter standpoint. Less so from a seppuku to the soul standpoint. Still dude...........unless your name is Ron Broham a 5 year old VW R is going to start getting expensive.
Umm yeah, I'm a tad concerned. The R does have a better designed ERG valve, beefier turbo/valves/cams/fuel pump/turbo then a lowly Mexican assembled GTI, but is still a very complicated engine. I cannot ignore that elephant in the room.
Not that these cars are without issue, but man, they seem to have much better longevity than prior generations. The first US MK7s were hitting the shores 7 years ago and there are plenty with 100k+ miles, and generally very little goes wrong with these cars. If anything, I'd be most worried about the tech BS that comes on the R and the higher trims like blind spot and radar cruise bullshit that's on every new car these days. DSG failures are rare but very expensive if they do happen. Still :notsure: if I'll sell my GTI to Carvana with this :mindblown: offer or not, but it's out of warranty now and :knockonwood: I'd have zero reservations about keeping this thing another few years.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

coogles wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am
Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:39 pm

Umm yeah, I'm a tad concerned. The R does have a better designed ERG valve, beefier turbo/valves/cams/fuel pump/turbo then a lowly Mexican assembled GTI, but is still a very complicated engine. I cannot ignore that elephant in the room.
Not that these cars are without issue, but man, they seem to have much better longevity than prior generations. The first US MK7s were hitting the shores 7 years ago and there are plenty with 100k+ miles, and generally very little goes wrong with these cars. If anything, I'd be most worried about the tech BS that comes on the R and the higher trims like blind spot and radar cruise bullshit that's on every new car these days. DSG failures are rare but very expensive if they do happen. Still :notsure: if I'll sell my GTI to Carvana with this :mindblown: offer or not, but it's out of warranty now and :knockonwood: I'd have zero reservations about keeping this thing another few years.
I'm curious to see how mine will do between 100k and 200k, I'm almost entering that realm now. My DSG doesn't work hard, it's a highway commuter 95% of the time, and I do regular maintenance. So far so good, the car passes every sniff test by two prospective buyers, one who owns his own shop.

I agree that the added features are the biggest risk of failing, but the software settings allow me to disable any of them and keep them that way until I change them back. I will need to try and disable some of them to see if a dash light comes up when they are disabled, but I think not. As the car gets older and these things shit the bed, I'll likely just turn them off.

I kind of planned to go the distance with my car, and I'm starting to think that I probably should.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:44 am
coogles wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:36 am

I'm curious to see how mine will do between 100k and 200k, I'm almost entering that realm now. My DSG doesn't work hard, it's a highway commuter 95% of the time, and I do regular maintenance. So far so good, the car passes every sniff test by two prospective buyers, one who owns his own shop.

I agree that the added features are the biggest risk of failing, but the software settings allow me to disable any of them and keep them that way until I change them back. I will need to try and disable some of them to see if a dash light comes up when they are disabled, but I think not. As the car gets older and these things shit the bed, I'll likely just turn them off.

I kind of planned to go the distance with my car, and I'm starting to think that I probably should.
Dsg is rock solid. As is most of the motor.

The only things is worry about are the common issues like carbon and water pump perhaps. But even those are fairly unlikely.

The golf should be good until 100k. But it’ll feel really tired at that point and random stuff will start failing then … and it’ll need a suspension refresh etc
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:04 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:11 am Doesn't help that everyone here thinks the R is a better ownership experience then a Camry Hybrid...DON'T YOU EVEN CALCULATE MPGGEEE :bruh: ? Plus :dat: 208 HP combined battery/gas combo of pure unbridled fury Toyota style.
:notsure: if "better" just "different".
Yeah for sure, I'm definitely ok with different, not Prius different, but a kamfy well built large sedan that has dece acceleration seems tolerable to me.

I drive my wife's Touareg at times and enjoy the commuting aspect in that thing. It's kind of nice to jump back into my car afterwards, so I get what that implies.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 am Dsg is rock solid. As is most of the motor.

The only things is worry about are the common issues like carbon and water pump perhaps. But even those are fairly unlikely.

The golf should be good until 100k. But it’ll feel really tired at that point and random stuff will start failing then … and it’ll need a suspension refresh etc
Carbon clean is a $500 job, at least it was when I had it done on my MK6, and the gen 3 motors seem to be getting to 100k easily before needing that done. Water pumps can go but usually they go early if they're going to. The gen 1 from the MK6 and its issues with water pumps, intake manifolds, injectors, hpfp and lpfps, etc. etc. were largely resolved for the MK7.

100k mile cars will almost always need suspension work. Control arm bushings, end links, ball joints, all of that stuff is susceptible to wear. The fancy DCC dampers on the R will be especially expensive. I know consensus here is 125k mile 4Runners drive like new ones, but I drove a 125k miles SR5 and compared to a new one, it was sloppy. It wandered all over the road and wasn't anywhere near as tight as the 2021 I drove.
max225

coogles wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 am Dsg is rock solid. As is most of the motor.

Carbon clean is a $500 job, at least it was when I had it done on my MK6, and the gen 3 motors seem to be getting to 100k easily before needing that done. Water pumps can go but usually they go early if they're going to. The gen 1 from the MK6 and its issues with water pumps, intake manifolds, injectors, hpfp and lpfps, etc. etc. were largely resolved for the MK7.

100k mile cars will almost always need suspension work. Control arm bushings, end links, ball joints, all of that stuff is susceptible to wear. The fancy DCC dampers on the R will be especially expensive. I know consensus here is 125k mile 4Runners drive like new ones, but I drove a 125k miles SR5 and compared to a new one, it was sloppy. It wandered all over the road and wasn't anywhere near as tight as the 2021 I drove.
Nothing compares to new … it’s still new unsharted etc. I also noticed that a lot of toyota customers do not maintain their vehicles because “it’s a toyota”. Throwing the absolute cheapest shit on them.

125k miles is 2/3 of the way to moon still. Regardless of how well anything is built
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:44 am

Agreed on all of the above, I'm at 94K lol
max225

Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:11 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:48 am

I thought you had another 30k in warranty or 1 year so I figured you’re at 70. That said. Every situation is unique. Gotta do what’s right for you breh
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 am
coogles wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:55 am

Nothing compares to new … it’s still new unsharted etc. I also noticed that a lot of toyota customers do not maintain their vehicles because “it’s a toyota”. Throwing the absolute cheapest shit on them.

125k miles is 2/3 of the way to moon still. Regardless of how well anything is built
I've looked at used T4Rs just to gauge the market and damn...they look neglected to me because of how people treat them. The assumption that it needs nothing to run forever isn't entirely accurate since ALL vehicles need regular maintenance for wear components including suspension, steering, and breaks. Worse is up here, they tend to be pretty rusty underneath, which being a known issue on these things surprise me. I'd apply rust prevention to a new one before the first winter and every year after, not just to keep rust from getting bad, but to make it easier to work on.

That has nothing to do with the vehicle or how it's built, it's all about care. I wouldn't buy a used one no matter how good the deal.
max225

Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 am
max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:05 am

I've looked at used T4Rs just to gauge the market and damn...they look neglected to me because of how people treat them. The assumption that it needs nothing to run forever isn't entirely accurate since ALL vehicles need regular maintenance for wear components including suspension, steering, and breaks. Worse is up here, they tend to be pretty rusty underneath, which being a known issue on these things surprise me. I'd apply rust prevention to a new one before the first winter and every year after, not just to keep rust from getting bad, but to make it easier to work on.

That has nothing to do with the vehicle or how it's built, it's all about care. I wouldn't buy a used one no matter how good the deal.
I know that the Tacomas had similar issues. Toyota then decided to apply some sort of coating inside the frame to prevent them from rusting out inside out, they did that fairly recently (last 5 years). As that is the main way these things go. Salty sludge enters the frame and sits and rots around the drainage holes.

Fluid film should work, but just basic non neglect and occasional washing of the under carriage should be good too.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:39 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:30 am

I know that the Tacomas had similar issues. Toyota then decided to apply some sort of coating inside the frame to prevent them from rusting out inside out, they did that fairly recently (last 5 years). As that is the main way these things go. Salty sludge enters the frame and sits and rots around the drainage holes.

Fluid film should work, but just basic non neglect and occasional washing of the under carriage should be good too.
Salt only corrodes when it's wet and can transfer to low spots and crevices. Occasional washing can actually be bad. Fluid film at least prevents the salt/water from sitting on metal. But for me, it's more about ease or work rather than rust prevention of the frame and critical components. We don't have a ton of salt on the roads where I live (they use sand more than salt), but I hate working on rusted nuts and bolts on the suspention, brakes, etc. Fluid film all that and it stays clean and clear.
max225

Yep But do you really expect to be working on a brand New T4R in the next 7 years?
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:59 am Yep But do you really expect to be working on a brand New T4R in the next 7 years?
Depends if I :fullretard: and decide to mod it or some dumb shit. Even something as simple as swapping to TuRD BRO suspension or whatever. It only takes a few years of naked winter for rust to start on nuts and bolts.

BUT it probably won't even be around for a few years, so yea...let's be real probably not a concern.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:18 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:10 pm

Buy then :plac: to Carvana for profit? :lolol:
I briefly considered taking the $35k Carvana offer for the Cucktrek and buying the highest Carvana value vehicle new from the :dillerman: to flip when the 4R comes in. Seems like a lot of work and a lot of :troywax: on taxes and fees :doe:
Yeah man, it's one thing to take an opportunity, another to seek something like that out... it's a big risk, a lot of wasted time, cash outlay, etc. I don't think I would bother. Hell, I could make $5K on the BMW right now and line my pockets with $22K cash from the thing and just go carless until I can get an 86 but I just don't have the energy to go through the whole dog and pony show. Buying/selling cars is a ton of effort.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:15 am
Tarspin wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:11 am
I thought you had another 30k in warranty or 1 year so I figured you’re at 70. That said. Every situation is unique. Gotta do what’s right for you breh
I purchased the extended warranty, 6 yrs/200,000 kms and I am entering 5 yrs/150,000 kms. The car is getting up there.

The more that I think about it, the more clear it becomes that a new car is a good move. I don't really want to deal with water pumps and all that shit... Might be time to go see that :dillerman:

:plac: :plac: :plac:
:plac: :tubeman: :plac:
:plac: :plac: :plac:
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Technically my trade is happening in 2022... Am I in the :wrong: thread?
max225

Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm Technically my trade is happening in 2022... Am I in the :wrong: thread?
Yea, sorry boo. Delivery day.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:42 pm
Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:15 pm Technically my trade is happening in 2022... Am I in the :wrong: thread?
Aww :pout: , but we signed a contract :lol:

All good 👍🏼, curious to see how 22 plays out, we have less active members, but if we do a percentage of :plac: /active members we should be able to compare YOY accurately. Any predictions for 22?

These are the easy guesses:
Me
You
Detroitplac
Coogles
Dirk
Probably [user not found] again :lol:
Gberg
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:43 pm

All good 👍🏼, curious to see how 22 plays out, we have less active members, but if we do a percentage of :plac: /active members we should be able to compare YOY accurately. Any predictions for 22?

Me
You
Detroitplac
Coogles
Dirk
Gberg
Hey man, at least you will (probably) be the first of '22! I'm assuming D- :plac: will somehow sneak in another before year's end.

I would bet I will be on the '22 list.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:59 pm

Me
You
Detroitplac
Coogles
Dirk
Gberg
Hey man, at least you will (probably) be the first of '22! I'm assuming D- :plac: will somehow sneak in another before year's end.

I would bet I will be on the '22 list.
:impressive: , wouldn't be surprised if there are even more people here jumping into new shit next year! Should be fun to see what people buy!
max225

Me
You
Detroitplac
Coogles
Dirk
Gberg
I hear ya, but rulez is rulez. I am likely to do the same before year end and not count for 21. More updates coming soon (on my end).

As far as next year … I think your list is strong. I would add Eric + Our Turkish prince offing the accord is also going to happen according to my almanac.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

max225 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:05 pm

Me
You
Detroitplac
Coogles
Dirk
Gberg
I hear ya, but rulez is rulez. I am likely to do the same before year end and not count for 21. More updates coming soon (on my end).

As far as next year … I think your list is strong. I would add Eric + Our Turkish prince offing the accord is also going to happen according to my almanac.
TK loves is Accord, I am thinking he'll do a 4 yr thing with it like the GTI before he left.

Dirk/Eric is the Real Deal, there will be no :pussy: footing.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah my bet is on the Accord lasting a few years.

:popcorn: :doe: