Replacing the FiST: What does the collective say?

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Ford Party ST

It's time for something new. I'll lay out the scenarios and the budget and you make suggestions. Feel free to debate amongst yourselves and others. I'm interested to hear what the collective has to say - I've been kicking around getting out of the fiesta for the better part of a year, so don't expect me to run out an buy anything right away.

The Fiesta crossed 120k miles this weekend. It's still a good driving car and has given me 5.5 years of troublefree ownershit (less 1 slave cylinder/throwout bearing - that actually almost killed me now that I think about it).

$50K max budget. If we're in a two car household, my car needs to be an auto/dct if it doesn't have a hitch provision. No VW's, no :poorvette: , preferably no BMWs.

1) There's an outside chance that work is going to provide us company vehicles - these will likely range from sedans, SUVs, and minivans - If this happens, then it certainly opens up the options and means a more focused fun car. Manual or DCT/Autos allowed

2) No company car, and the expectation is to drive our personal vehicles to travel. Needs to be something fun and useable - also understated - I don't want to roll up to customer sites in a Porsche. This scenario could also mean that I keep the FiST for travel purposes. Car needs to be auto/dct if the Fiesta is gone.
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

:impressive: openness. What are you looking for that the Fiesta doesn't deliver? Size, performance, capability, anything?
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Would seem the obvious possibilities are the Veloster N with the new DCT and the GoRf. S3/RS3 if you're feeling fancy and/or feel like using that full $50k budget. Can easily get a F80 M3 for <$50k. If you're okay with the ZF 8 speed maybe a G70? Super nice without being ostentatious. Just about endless possibilities within that budget.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:17 am :impressive: openness. What are you looking for that the Fiesta doesn't deliver? Size, performance, capability, anything?
There's nothing really that I'm disappointed with. Just looking for a new experience. Needs to be fun is about my only real requirement outside of the scenarios presented. However focused the suggestion is, the more useable the wife's car/suv needs to be.

IE - I need to be able to tow bikes to a track day, and if that's with her vehicle, then she needs to be able to drive whatever I have (IE no :manuel: )
As the only published author in a well-known motorcycle publication in the room...
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:40 am Would seem the obvious possibilities are the Veloster N with the new DCT and the GoRf. S3/RS3 if you're feeling fancy and/or feel like using that full $50k budget. Can easily get a F80 M3 for <$50k. If you're okay with the ZF 8 speed maybe a G70? Super nice without being ostentatious. Just about endless possibilities within that budget.
No BMWs, No VW, and I'll go ahead and lump Audi's in there too - save for maybe a TT.

DCT Veloster N is on the radar - new interior looks great. I am definitely open to a ZF 8.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Supra
M2
New 86
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Used C63?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

So is this both your and her cars on the table? When will you know about the company car? This is pretty open ended, so a little tough to narrow down. I think a Boxster would be really :neat:
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 am So is this both your and her cars on the table? When will you know about the company car? This is pretty open ended, so a little tough to narrow down. I think a Boxster would be really :neat:
:dat:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Stinger.
Understated looks. Excellent utility with the hatch. Superior interior. Can be had with an 8A ( :notsure: if it's a dual clutch or not). I imagine :impressive: :dill: s can be found, either new or lightly used.
The V6 starts at under $40k but can go over $50k depending on trim.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
max225

I am confused now :(
wap

coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

wap wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am Stinger.
Understated looks. Excellent utility with the hatch. Superior interior. Can be had with an 8A ( :notsure: if it's a dual clutch or not). I imagine :impressive: :dill: s can be found, either new or lightly used.
If you don't need the size I would personally go G70 over Stinger, but not a bad option.
wap

coogles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am
wap wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am Stinger.
If you don't need the size I would personally go G70 over Stinger, but not a bad option.
I like the G70, too, especially because it's a little smaller. But the hatch tips the decision to the Stinger for ME.
ChrisoftheNorth

wap wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:50 am
coogles wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am

I like the G70, too, especially because it's a little smaller. But the hatch tips the decision to the Stinger for ME.

Stinger is the car everyone said they'd buy and didn't. It's why we can't have nice things.
max225

Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 am

Stinger is the car everyone said they'd buy and didn't. It's why we can't have nice things.
I dunno... I am not sure who "everyone" is. "everyone" seems to be excited about a stinger until they see the 50k msrp and then bitch and moan than it isn't 20k
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

max225 wrote:
Detroit wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:56 am :dat:

I dunno... I am not sure who "everyone" is. "everyone" seems to be excited about a stinger until they see the 50k msrp and then bitch and moan than it isn't 20k
Don't forget kia dillership experience.

4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:57 am So is this both your and her cars on the table? When will you know about the company car? This is pretty open ended, so a little tough to narrow down. I think a Boxster would be really :neat:
I should've left the wife's thing out of it. This is only me. Perhaps it would be easier to weight in on the scenario 1 and scenario 2. Just know that if we're a 2 car family, my car needs to be an automated transmission.

IE - if I get a company car - which would very likely end up my do everything car/van/truck - what would you suggest (car in this scenario does not need to be auto)

If I don't get a company car (and the expectation is I drive my personal car) make a suggestion for that scenario. Perhaps it's the Fiesta +1, or perhaps you have a suggested do-all fun+understated car.
max225

Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm
max225 wrote:

I am :notsure: what that is like. Around here BMW dealershits are terrible. MB is hit and miss also. Lexus on the other hand is top notch.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

4zilch wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:01 pm
I should've left the wife's thing out of it. This is only me. Perhaps it would be easier to weight in on the scenario 1 and scenario 2. Just know that if we're a 2 car family, my car needs to be an automated transmission.

IE - if I get a company car - which would very likely end up my do everything car/van/truck - what would you suggest (car in this scenario does not need to be auto)

If I don't get a company car (and the expectation is I drive my personal car) make a suggestion for that scenario. Perhaps it's the Fiesta +1, or perhaps you have a suggested do-all fun+understated car.
I think for scenario one a Boxster is hard to beat - you could go DCT or manual and both would be great. They have rollover protection if you ever want to take it to the track, but still convertible fun. Mid engine is neat, pricing isn't bad, you can get a lot for $50K.

Without the company car... how :fancy: could you get? I really like my old BMW as a traveling salesmen car - super comfy, plenty of space, fuel efficient enough to profit on mileage. The F80 M3 would be a pretty badass all arounder and BMW is certainly understated compared to a Porsche, but maybe still doesn't fit the bill? It is also manual or DCT and pretty good in either version.

Unfortunately for an all-arounder, most of the interesting stuff comes from premium brands or is a hot hatch that wouldn't be a hugely new experience.

CTS-V and SS are both cool but kind of huge.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:04 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:00 pm

I am :notsure: what that is like. Around here BMW dealershits are terrible. MB is hit and miss also. Lexus on the other hand is top notch.
:notsure: how comparable it is, but our H :dillerman: experience was 5/7. It was the easiest, fastest new car purchase experience we've had to date. YMMV, etc.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

Looks like you can juuuuust fit a GS-F under the $50k budget. :doit:

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/

IS350 F-Sport would be nice if it had a better motor.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 am

RWD hatchback...everyone claims to want one. Then it's too expensive, but that's the nature of the business. It's why enthusiast cars die and now they're just focused on bonkers :waxer: money makers.
Huckleberry
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 2004 GTO

If they offered the thing with a :manuel:, it would have been on my radar when I was looking.

The G70 with a stick was so damn rare, that the closest one to me at the time was like 300 miles away.
4zilch
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

[user not found] wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:55 pm I’m gonna play the wildcard here: JCW Clubman or Countryman.
:notbad:

I enjoy wildcards