Do I dare sell the 4Runner?!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

I keep going back and forth about keeping my 4Runner or not. I’m really torn on what to do from here.

I currently have a 2011 4Runner Limited that’s pretty heavily modified, visually it looks relatively subtle but there’s a lot of stuff with a decent amount of it being custom. It’s an early 5th Gen so no air injection emissions pump or TSS (driver assist BS with radar in the bumper and a camera on the windshield). The Limited has the full time 4WD, smart key, homelink, auto dimming rear view mirror, heated side mirrors, auto headlights, dual zone climate control, heated seats, etc all things I want. It has 130,000+ miles on it without a single real problem so far - I had to replace a taillight housing and currently the horn doesn’t work because of the clock spring, beyond that it’s just been maintenance and wear items. Never a check engine light, never a break down, never a no start, it’s never been towed, and it’s never shown any signs of slowing down. It has about a million rock chips on the front, lots of subtle trail scrapes and pinstripes and it has about $8,000 is very subtle but widespread hail damage - you can’t see any of it unless it catches the light just right. It’s been a workhorse so speak, lots of relatively hard use but it’s been over maintained beyond what any reasonable personal would do (basically oil every 5K, brake fluid, coolant, and steering fluid changed annually, all front, center rear diffs and trans fluid every 15K, etc). I don’t typically need to daily drive anything anymore (unrelated to COVID), this isn’t likely to change but I get a ton of time off so I still put a decent amount of miles on it every year. If I keep it I’ll probably throw some money at it to freshen it up for the long term- new lower front control arms, suspension bushings and linkages, clock spring, fix the broken drivers side mirror housing, new weather seal on the rear hatch, maybe address some mirror surface rust starting at a couple of the paint chips, etc.

My wife and I were debating about purchasing another brand new 5th gen, probably when they are discounted when the 6th gen eventually starts to show up at dealers. The thinking is that I can transfer everything I’ve done on the current 4Runner to a new 4Runner and basically just reset the timeline for the vehicle and start the lifespan over. Buying brand new from day one, I could start undercoating it from the time it’s new, I could pull off the plastic sill trims and clear bra under them where the plastic tends to rub through the paint and cause rust, and things like that. I’d still like the creature comforts I listed at the beginning but full time 4WD isn’t as important to me anymore as a AWD Highlander with snow tires will be the new drive the mountain passes in the snow to go skiing vehicle.

If I do buy a new one I could try to get another Limited and get all the creatures I’m used to and still want. I could get an TRD Off-Road Premium and get most of what I want while trading full time 4WD for a rear locker, or get the TRD Pro (I really like the current lunar rock color) which has in recent years evolved a bit and isn’t such a blatant rip-off money grab anymore - selling off the shocks, new style wheels, roof rack, etc could move its cost much closer to the Off Road while getting the color I want and it would add back in a bunch of the extra formerly Limited-only features that you can’t get in an Off Road, plus you’d go from great resale value to seemingly unrealistically high resale value in the process but realistically that’s not really relevant.

Spending $50Kish is a LOT of money to more or less make a lateral move to basically the same thing I already have, it’s facelifted with updates, CarPlay, blue interior backlighting, led headlights, and a few other refreshed items I can’t truly say I care much about. Some of my current mods would require further modification to move them over, for example my electrical build as setup now would interfere with the air pump. Colorado has the highest frequency of cracked windshields in the country and the windshield mounted camera would have to be recalibrated every year when it gets its annual windshield replacement. I don’t need or want TSS functionality buts it’s standard on all trim levels now. You also run the admittedly low risk of getting a lemon or having problems with the new one but I’d don’t even want to think about trying to deal with a dealership regarding warranty repairs with a bunch of mods done.

My current one has 2 insurance claims against it, hail and when it got hit while parked so the resale value will take a hit over car fax and cosmetics. I kind of enjoy having a vehicle with plenty of cosmetic wear and tear because it makes me so much less not care, I rarely even wash it soap lol. I feel like if I bought another brand new one I’d always be worrying about hail, keeping it in the garage, trail rash and pinstripes, keeping it freshly cleaned and waxed all the time and in pristine condition. However 50k for a new one quickly becomes 35k when you sell the old one.

I’m good with this platform, I accept the shortcomings it has and I’m willing to live with them indefinitely. It’s a great reliable platform that does what I need it to do now. If I replaced it with a new one, I have no doubt I could get 15-20 years of use out of it. I don’t necessarily know if I could get another 15-20 years out my current 10 year old 130K mile 4Runner, but either way I’m committed to the 5th gen for the long haul. The 6th gen hasn’t been announced or spotted yet but at 11 model years old, it will be coming sooner than later. No official word yet but I’m at a point that there are some more mods that are planned that I would hold off on if I was replacing the vehicle. For example I don’t want to cut up the front bumper cover to install a plate bumper and winch, just to try to find a used bumper cover and have it painted to match so I could reinstall it to sell it. With our family of 3 turning into 4 in a couple months the 4Runner may be a bit small in reference to the overland and camping trips. We currently fit the 3 of us, and all our stuff, just fine with a portion of the rear seat folded flat, but when it’s 4 of us and the rear seat won’t be able to fold because it’s in use, we’re not going to fit 4 of us and all our gear in less space than we have now. That means there’s a very real possibility of doing an off road utility trailer kinda thing and moving the tent to that, freeing up space in and on the Runner - I will regear if I’m going to drag a trailer offroad at high elevation. If your going that far you might as well do lockers while your in the pumpkins. I certainly don’t want to regear and do lockers just to sell the vehicle in the relatively near future.

Figure $50k for a new Runner, subtract 15k or so for my current one, subtract an other 2-3k maybe even 4-5k that I’d spend freaking up the current vehicle (especially if fixing the rust spots forming at paint chips) and we talking $30k to reset 10 years and 130,000+ hard miles of wear and tear and use.

Just kind thinking out loud and looking for outside input and perspective. Thoughts, ideas, insults, and dick pics are welcomed.

www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Hey man! Honestly it’s a tough choice. If you say the AWD Highlander will be the new family/snow/ski hauler, I honestly don’t think you should get a new one unless $30k is worth whatever last year 5th gen upgrades would be. Could you retrofit CarPlay head unit into yours? 130k miles is a lot but your car is so well maintained it might as well be 1/4 of that.

I think you’ve built a ton of memories with this 4Runner and gone on a lot of adventures, and I am not usually one for sappy perspectives but I’d imagine it’s probably worth a bit more to you sentimentally than just what a KBB offer book says.

If there’s any way to keep this one as a fun/project/crawler, have the Highlander for family duties and then maybe (if you want to stay with Toyota) get the new Supra instead, that would be a total power play.

However, I don’t know your work sitch and last we ever heard you were doing CIA level stuff with an undisclosed manufacturer. So you probably have access to pre-production/test mules/etc that you probably have to put miles on (spirited ones at that).

:notsure:

Can’t go wrong either way to be honest, it’s a familiar platform and mostly a lateral move like you mentioned. If $15k wasn’t an issue at this point in time I would probably keep the silver one for sentimental value and/or passing it down to the kiddo or something.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Values for Toyota BOF vehicles are completely off the charts right now. You could sell your current truck for a surprising amount (most likely) to Carvana or something and buy new. Does the TuRD Bro 4R include the Fox internal bypass shocks like the Taco? Would be a nice upgrade.

But still, it's the same vehicle and you might have a hell of a time finding a new one to buy. Max wants to buy a Tacoma TuRD Bro and can't find a single one. New car inventory is screwed right now, particularly for desirable vehicles like that. So I'd do a little shopping first to make sure you can even replace it. But now might be the best possible time to reset the clock if you can make it work.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I wouldn’t spend 4x what the current one is worth on the same vehicle.

That said not sure if you followed my trd pro saga. But they are impossible to get at the moment ... unless you like paying over sticker
razr390
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am I wouldn’t spend 4x what the current one is worth on the same vehicle.

That said not sure if you followed my trd pro saga. But they are impossible to get at the moment ... unless you like paying over sticker
Even over sticker isn’t guaranteed according to Fled. It’s not like they have 50 of them on the lot with marker adjustments... You’re basically paying a deposit + MSRP+++ for the chance to have the dealer’s allocation be confirmed by Toyota... what a time to be alive.
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Man, throwing down $35K cash to end up in the same vehicle... I understand where you're coming from and it has its merits, but Image
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

I think that the 4runner is the kind of vehicle that best serves to be repaired when need be and driven into the next century. The majority of parts are designed to last and the nagging little things that wear out are cheap, like clock springs. I'd keep it personally and plan to do so with a highly strung out blue egg with hopes that it can serve me well. Cars and trucks just haven't gotten that much better in the last five years so there's personally no appeal for me to want to :troywax: on new things, plus the COL keeps going up and is :gag:

I'm also really happy driving around in depreciated metal that can take dings and dents like a champ without me going internally :rage: each time that I see a new thing.

I would however tackle rust issues and stone chips if it were my rig.
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

It sounds like a reasonable upgrade/reset to me. How many of us wish we could get a brand new version of an old car that we love?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am I think that the 4runner is the kind of vehicle that best serves to be repaired when need be and driven into the next century. The majority of parts are designed to last and the nagging little things that wear out are cheap, like clock springs. I'd keep it personally and plan to do so with a highly strung out blue egg with hopes that it can serve me well. Cars and trucks just haven't gotten that much better in the last five years so there's personally no appeal for me to want to :troywax: on new things, plus the COL keeps going up and is :gag:

I'm also really happy driving around in depreciated metal that can take dings and dents like a champ without me going internally :rage: each time that I see a new thing.

:dat:

The 2011 will EASILY last another 10-15 years and 150K miles with regular maintenance, especially at the rate that you keep up with this 4Runner. Life changes and you may find you want something different in 2035 after all, and when that time comes, both of these trucks will be within $5K of each other, as they will both have a lot of miles, be well maintained, and have epic resale. I'm just not seeing how the math adds up. If you still really love it at that time, buy a 2020 with 100K miles, they will be around.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 am Hey man! Honestly it’s a tough choice. If you say the AWD Highlander will be the new family/snow/ski hauler, I honestly don’t think you should get a new one unless $30k is worth whatever last year 5th gen upgrades would be. Could you retrofit CarPlay head unit into yours? 130k miles is a lot but your car is so well maintained it might as well be 1/4 of that.

I think you’ve built a ton of memories with this 4Runner and gone on a lot of adventures, and I am not usually one for sappy perspectives but I’d imagine it’s probably worth a bit more to you sentimentally than just what a KBB offer book says.

If there’s any way to keep this one as a fun/project/crawler, have the Highlander for family duties and then maybe (if you want to stay with Toyota) get the new Supra instead, that would be a total power play.

However, I don’t know your work sitch and last we ever heard you were doing CIA level stuff with an undisclosed manufacturer. So you probably have access to pre-production/test mules/etc that you probably have to put miles on (spirited ones at that).

:notsure:

Can’t go wrong either way to be honest, it’s a familiar platform and mostly a lateral move like you mentioned. If $15k wasn’t an issue at this point in time I would probably keep the silver one for sentimental value and/or passing it down to the kiddo or something.
The “upgrades” in the new ones are more updates. OEM LED high and low beams is nice, CarPlay is nice, air injection for emissions and standard driver assist systems I could do without. As a whole the changes over time bring more negatives than positives, but’s it’s never been about updated stuff on the vehicle, it’s just strictly about erasing a decade of wear and tear and hard use.

There’s definitely something to be said for sentimental value. I have less than zero interest in a Supra or a sports car of any kind, I still get more than my fair share of time behind the wheel of 7-8-900 hp prototypes. That’s scratches that itch for sure
Last edited by Dbest on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 am It sounds like a reasonable upgrade/reset to me. How many of us wish we could get a brand new version of an old car that we love?
People say that but I sure don't see anyone going out and buying a 2020 370Z :iono:

There will always be low mileage examples available and they will almost always be sub MSRP.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

troyguitar wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:35 am It sounds like a reasonable upgrade/reset to me. How many of us wish we could get a brand new version of an old car that we love?

This is a vehicle that Dbest uses to the fullest of its capabilities, and resetting that clock with a brand new one and having even more peace of mind when out crawling and camping is worth it IMO especially with current used vehicle pricing.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am Values for Toyota BOF vehicles are completely off the charts right now. You could sell your current truck for a surprising amount (most likely) to Carvana or something and buy new. Does the TuRD Bro 4R include the Fox internal bypass shocks like the Taco? Would be a nice upgrade.

But still, it's the same vehicle and you might have a hell of a time finding a new one to buy. Max wants to buy a Tacoma TuRD Bro and can't find a single one. New car inventory is screwed right now, particularly for desirable vehicles like that. So I'd do a little shopping first to make sure you can even replace it. But now might be the best possible time to reset the clock if you can make it work.
There are some nice Fox shocks on the new TuRD Pro, however I’d immediately pull them off and sell them. My current setup is custom length, extended travel, 2.5” bodied remote reservoir Kings that are custom valved to my specific setup on my specific vehicle. That are valved to be a perfect match for the springs I run, the weight of my vehicle, the amount of unsparing weight per corner, and how I use it. Out of the box generically setup Fox would not be an upgrade.

My timeline doesn’t require me to buy right now. Things are hard to find and expensive because of COVID shutting down factories and affecting supply. I’m in no hurry to make a change, I just want to determine if I’m going to plan to or not because that’s the difference in new mods now or waiting for a new runner to happen.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am I wouldn’t spend 4x what the current one is worth on the same vehicle.

I have been watching it, but I didn’t need this to happen right now.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:49 am

I have been watching it, but I didn’t need this to happen right now.
And that’s where I think you win. Off the current one now at peak used value, sit patiently and wait for the madness to end then swoop a new one in a few months or whenever that timing works.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am I think that the 4runner is the kind of vehicle that best serves to be repaired when need be and driven into the next century. The majority of parts are designed to last and the nagging little things that wear out are cheap, like clock springs. I'd keep it personally and plan to do so with a highly strung out blue egg with hopes that it can serve me well. Cars and trucks just haven't gotten that much better in the last five years so there's personally no appeal for me to want to :troywax: on new things, plus the COL keeps going up and is :gag:

One of the things I struggle with is the mentality that it’s designed to last forever. Everyone says it but it’s all anecdotal evidence “I know a guy who had a different platform vehicle from that brand that had 400K on it”... great but that’s not really relevant. There’s a local dude who harps on about the longevity of the 5th gen because he wheels with 220,000 miles, however he’s fails to mention he bought from an older lady who out 200,000 miles on it driving the highway between Denver and Wyoming for work, that’s thing has about as easy of a life as you could imagine this far.

It *should* last a long time, however all claims that it **WILL** seem to be anecdotal, and I don’t partially like to deal in hypotheticals. If it doesn’t last another 15-20 years I will have missed my chance to buy new and over maintain and care for it from day 1.

At the same time the money saved would cover all the mods I want to do, refresh the T4R a bit, and still cover a trailer with some money left over.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

You’re not wrong, it’s kind of a now or never (now being relative - something within the next year and half). Once they are gone they are gone.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:37 am

The 2011 will EASILY last another 10-15 years and 150K miles with regular maintenance, especially at the rate that you keep up with this 4Runner. Life changes and you may find you want something different in 2035 after all, and when that time comes, both of these trucks will be within $5K of each other, as they will both have a lot of miles, be well maintained, and have epic resale. I'm just not seeing how the math adds up. If you still really love it at that time, buy a 2020 with 100K miles, they will be around.

I would never even consider buying 100,000 mile vehicle. After so many years in the dealer as a tech I just simply don’t trust the general public to maintain it to a level I would have over that length of time.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Financially it’s always smarter to keep what you have and fix as needed. However there’s something also something to be said for piece of mind and not having it in the back of your head that eventually something major has to brake and wondering how remote am I going to be when that happens. Realistically I’d like this to be our adventure rig indefinitely. Wether it’s the current one or a new one, that could very well be the last ICE vehicle I buy.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:26 am Values for Toyota BOF vehicles are completely off the charts right now. You could sell your current truck for a surprising amount (most likely) to Carvana or something and buy new. Does the TuRD Bro 4R include the Fox internal bypass shocks like the Taco? Would be a nice upgrade.

There are some nice Fox shocks on the new TuRD Pro, however I’d immediately pull them off and sell them. My current setup is custom length, extended travel, 2.5” bodied remote reservoir Kings that are custom valved to my specific setup on my specific vehicle. That are valved to be a perfect match for the springs I run, the weight of my vehicle, the amount of unsparing weight per corner, and how I use it. Out of the box generically setup Fox would not be an upgrade.

My timeline doesn’t require me to buy right now. Things are hard to find and expensive because of COVID shutting down factories and affecting supply. I’m in no hurry to make a change, I just want to determine if I’m going to plan to or not because that’s the difference in new mods now or waiting for a new runner to happen.
:bruh:

You're going to have to re-dial in the exact same vehicle when you get it for what...piece of mind? This isn't a BMW M car with an engine made of glass, these things are popular because of their proven reliability/durability.

You've done way too much to this thing to start over again and end up basically in the same place with the same vehicle a bit newer. I say keep it, set aside some funds for maintenance and have more fun modding or buying a trailer (like you hinted to) or something.

To help the case, make a list of what could possibly fail? These are simple vehicles. Engine should last forever, how's the transmission and t-case in these? The axles should be pretty stout, but maybe plan to replace/upgrade eventually if things start to so wear.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
ChrisoftheNorth

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:12 am Financially it’s always smarter to keep what you have and fix as needed. However there’s something also something to be said for piece of mind and not having it in the back of your head that eventually something major has to brake and wondering how remote am I going to be when that happens. Realistically I’d like this to be our adventure rig indefinitely. Wether it’s the current one or a new one, that could very well be the last ICE vehicle I buy.
Think hard about what could possibly go wrong to strand you. Engine? No. Transmission/T-case? Maybe, but unlikely. Driveshaft? Axles? Tie rods? :iono:

It's easy to spin up dooms day scenarios to justify a move, but the reality is you're talking about a relatively simple vehicle that doesn't have many if any failure points.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

How's the rust/corrosion situ on this nasty bitch? To me that's the one thing that cannot be fixed. Ain't nobody with a job driving around a Bondo'd rig. I have zero problems with your plan.
How many man hours is it going to take to move all of your mods from this truck to the new one?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 am

:bruh:

You're going to have to re-dial in the exact same vehicle when you get it for what...piece of mind? This isn't a BMW M car with an engine made of glass, these things are popular because of their proven reliability/durability.

You've done way too much to this thing to start over again and end up basically in the same place with the same vehicle a bit newer. I say keep it, set aside some funds for maintenance and have more fun modding or buying a trailer (like you hinted to) or something.

To help the case, make a list of what could possibly fail? These are simple vehicles. Engine should last forever, how's the transmission and t-case in these? The axles should be pretty stout, but maybe plan to replace/upgrade eventually if things start to so wear.
:notwrong: It sounds like he made up his mind prior to posting and is looking for some validation.

:iono: man it's not what I would do, but if it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it! Either way you'll have a :nice: rig for all of the fun stuff you're doing.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 am How's the rust/corrosion situ on this nasty bitch? To me that's the one thing that cannot be fixed. Ain't nobody with a job driving around a Bondo'd rig. I have zero problems with your plan.
How many man hours is it going to take to move all of your mods from this truck to the new one?
This is a valid concern, but I don't think there's much to worry about in Colorado.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I don't understand this. If you're going this custom there is no point in getting a TRD pro period. Get a TRD off road and do the same. It is far easier to get and will not be subject to Dealer fuckery and mark up.

The main update in the PRO is the suspension, the rest is literally the same.

Also I am currently driving a 248,503 mile tacoma. I put 2000 miles on it in the last 30 days. It was also nicely neglected most of it's life. These things are built to last, 130k is nothing your rig will be fine well to 250k miles. This taco has no oil leaks, NONE (i have never seen that in any car with more than 100k, all start seeping, hell my TDI did it at 40k), starts every time, and runs like a champ. I am a firm toyota loyalist after this. Nothing I have owned comes close to this durability. And I am still nursing a 410k mile crown victoria. But ... This Yoder is built better.

Will your 4R be fine forever and go 1 million miles ? No. based on my research the 4.0 basically starts shitting a brick in the high 200s so you're about 1/2 way through the useful life. But you should have no major issues before 200k. The 5AT is a forever trans, so no worries there.

Does it suck to drive a 130k mile hail damaged car, compared to a brand new one? that seems to be the question at hand. New is nice, smells nice, looks nice etc. But it will drive nearly the same after the first two years, also you're not signing up for any additional functionality, and seem to be anti new safety tech. Which is STANDARD on the new rig.