Do I dare sell the 4Runner?!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:25 pm
D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I like this idea.

Usually when the :plac: desire hits, a modification of some kind keeps it at bay, that is why I am constantly, slowly adding things to my Corvette, as I know it is really the ideal vehicle for my uses but I find myself wanting to do other things, just to mix it up.
Counter point. I got CCW wheels for the vette for that very reason and then I hated myself for wasting money on a car I didn’t want there to begin with

Mods are not the answer imo. Also the 4R is way more modded than a “desert air intake”
Yea, mods are really just an expensive band-aide. I usually end up selling the car shortly after mods are complete because they didn't quite fill the hole.

I sold my K1500 after restoring the interior. The truck was never nicer, and I still sold it for the new K2 lease deal.

I regret that, oh well.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

Dbest wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am I make up my mind like everyday, then the next day I change it... then repeat and repeat and repeat.

I should just do something stupid like buy a snorkel so I have to cut a big ass hole in the fender and commit.
I like this idea.

Usually when the :plac: desire hits, a modification of some kind keeps it at bay, that is why I am constantly, slowly adding things to my Corvette, as I know it is really the ideal vehicle for my uses but I find myself wanting to do other things, just to mix it up.

It’s more that if I cut a hole in a fender I’m not going to replace and repaint the fender to sell it, so if I do it I’m keeping it.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Dbest wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:00 pm

I like this idea.

It’s more that if I cut a hole in a fender I’m not going to replace and repaint the fender to sell it, so if I do it I’m keeping it.
Cut two holes for the lolz.
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
ChrisoftheNorth

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:22 pm
Dbest wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:00 pm

Cut two holes for the lolz.
Speed holes. :iono:
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Hooptie Crotchfruit Carrier

Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm Yea, mods are really just an expensive band-aide. I usually end up selling the car shortly after mods are complete because they didn't quite fill the hole.

I sold my K1500 after restoring the interior. The truck was never nicer, and I still sold it for the new K2 lease deal.

I regret that, oh well.
Depends, IMO. Would've sold my MK6 way sooner if I hadn't done the Uni 1+ tune. Did it at the 4 year mark and it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, ended up keeping it for another 2.5 years. No way I would've made it that long without a tune.

Probably wouldn't have sold the STi so quickly if I'd done some coilovers with the long-travel option to smooth out the ride a little bit, and a tune to improve drivability. I think it's worthwhile if they're good bang-for-the-buck modifications. Going off the deep end and spending $20k on a $25k car is a good way to light money on fire, though. Your hot hatch will never be a Cayman.
ChrisoftheNorth

coogles wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:14 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:32 pm Yea, mods are really just an expensive band-aide. I usually end up selling the car shortly after mods are complete because they didn't quite fill the hole.

I regret that, oh well.
Depends, IMO. Would've sold my MK6 way sooner if I hadn't done the Uni 1+ tune. Did it at the 4 year mark and it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, ended up keeping it for another 2.5 years. No way I would've made it that long without a tune.

Probably wouldn't have sold the STi so quickly if I'd done some coilovers with the long-travel option to smooth out the ride a little bit, and a tune to improve drivability. I think it's worthwhile if they're good bang-for-the-buck modifications. Going off the deep end and spending $20k on a $25k car is a good way to light money on fire, though. Your hot hatch will never be a Cayman.
:dat: Especially :tuna: can really change the character of a vehicle without spending a ton of cash.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am

:dat: Especially :tuna: can really change the character of a vehicle without spending a ton of cash.
Def need an APR tune for the 4R:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:33 am
Moran OEM engineers.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Detroit wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 am
max225 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:34 am
Moran OEM engineers.
:dat:

The table they left so much under is yuge
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

I regret that, oh well.

It is also critical to know your real-world use case and mod in a way that makes sense:

Commuter/highway cruiser - stock is good, but adding :tuna: and some compliant suspension can go a long way to make it more fun while still being usable
Track - invest in cooling, brakes, tires, seat time, other reliability things
Off road - our friend here has great examples of fun mods that make the car more usable for his family's adventures

Y'all with your mod hatred can :gtfo: Contrary to popular belief, there are occasions where the aftermarket is both better and more durable than factory (DRM Bilsteins on a C5 versus OEM garbage shocks, for example). Factory stuff is built to a price for the use of the masses (commuting and shit).
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:26 am

It is also critical to know your real-world use case and mod in a way that makes sense:

Commuter/highway cruiser - stock is good, but adding :tuna: and some compliant suspension can go a long way to make it more fun while still being usable
Off road - our friend here has great examples of fun mods that make the car more usable for his family's adventures

Y'all with your mod hatred can :gtfo: Contrary to popular belief, there are occasions where the aftermarket is both better and more durable than factory (DRM Bilsteins on a C5 versus OEM garbage shocks, for example). Factory stuff is built to a price for the use of the masses (commuting and shit).
Amen dude. The shade thrown at :tuna: around here I find a little obnoxious. A GTI makes ~220hp, a Golf R with the exact same motor makes 290. Does anyone honestly thinking adding 50hp from a tune is going to :nuke: the bottom end of a TSI? Maybe it'll shorten the life of the turbocharger slightly, and if you're planning on going 200k miles maybe it'll start losing compression at 150k instead, but honestly :whocares:.

Just don't invest in a car so much that you've pushed the total cost outside its class. Do a few bolt-ons with a tune, some shocks and mild springs, wheels and tires, pads, lines & fluid and be done on a hot hatch. Don't try to run JRZ coilovers and forged wheels and a BBK all around and do a big turbo and on and on. It'll still be a FWD-based econobox no matter what you do. Go buy a 911 or whatever if you're trying to drop $60k on your tuner car.
max225

Most are not hating on real mods... plenty of K04 examples here and else where that deserve it. And I don't believe in the power of TUNES, because they are not engineered to the same level as OEM, that's a fact. So it is what it is, I am not planning on :gtfo: anytime.

Come at me bruh
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

coogles wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:57 am

Amen dude. The shade thrown at :tuna: around here I find a little obnoxious. A GTI makes ~220hp, a Golf R with the exact same motor makes 290. Does anyone honestly thinking adding 50hp from a tune is going to :nuke: the bottom end of a TSI? Maybe it'll shorten the life of the turbocharger slightly, and if you're planning on going 200k miles maybe it'll start losing compression at 150k instead, but honestly :whocares:.

Just don't invest in a car so much that you've pushed the total cost outside its class. Do a few bolt-ons with a tune, some shocks and mild springs, wheels and tires, pads, lines & fluid and be done on a hot hatch. Don't try to run JRZ coilovers and forged wheels and a BBK all around and do a big turbo and on and on. It'll still be a FWD-based econobox no matter what you do. Go buy a 911 or whatever if you're trying to drop $60k on your tuner car.

Also, for those of us not constantly :plac: , things like brake pads, :225: , fluids do need to be replaced with regularity. Why not sped a few bucks to get better components? It's still way cheaper than paying a shop and can make you enjoy your experience with that car a bit more.

It really all comes down to how you will use the car. I don't think anything is as "adventure-ready" from the factory as the 4Runner in question on this thread and I don't think any car from the factory sub $50K will keep up with/be as robust as my shitty Corvette on track. Have I spent half the purchase price on mods/improvements over the last six years? Yep. But it's not like I could add that, get myself a total of $25K and buy something better suited for the track, which in my case, is what I use it for.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 am

Most are not hating on real mods... plenty of K04 examples here and else where that deserve it. And I don't believe in the power of TUNES, because they are not engineered to the same level as OEM, that's a fact. So it is what it is, I am not planning on :gtfo: anytime.

Come at me bruh
There's a place where :tuna: goes to far. I did get super annoyed with Gramble's back in the day for constantly talking about how shitty GTIs/VWs were because his car with $10K in mods, a larger turbo, etc. required more maintenance than a stock Civic Si. :disgust:

That said, I think just about every member of this forum has tuned a turbo car and I don't recall anyone ever having a single issue outside of needing a clutch upgrade on a GTI, which isn't really an issue, just a component known to not be able to handle 25% more power than stock. That said, my tuned GTI's stock clutch never slipped.
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:58 am

Come at me bruh
There's a place where :tuna: goes to far. I did get super annoyed with Gramble's back in the day for constantly talking about how shitty GTIs/VWs were because his car with $10K in mods, a larger turbo, etc. required more maintenance than a stock Civic Si. :disgust:

That said, I think just about every member of this forum has tuned a turbo car and I don't recall anyone ever having a single issue outside of needing a clutch upgrade on a GTI, which isn't really an issue, just a component known to not be able to handle 25% more power than stock. That said, my tuned GTI's stock clutch never slipped.
:dolphin:
Same ol... Grables
Chris with the slippy ol clutch
That one dude with the S3 (Chicago) that overheated his DSGAY
Popped PCV valves
Popped coils ets

all those things are side effects of TUNEZ. Are they not real issues to you?
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:09 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:05 pm

:dolphin:
Same ol... Grables
Chris with the slippy ol clutch
That one dude with the S3 (Chicago) that overheated his DSGAY
Popped PCV valves
Popped coils ets

all those things are side effects of TUNEZ. Are they not real issues to you?
The S3 also had a turbo upgrade and $10K plus in mods with like 400 hp. Clutch was aforementioned, I really don't recall anyone on these forums ever having an issue with just a tune. Yes, pushing 2X stock powah will result in quite a bit of reduced longevity, but as Coog's mentioned, in many cases, the tuned version exists from the factory already (MINI S to GCW, GTI to R). Often times companies like Ford also sell them direct. My Unitronic GTI tune was done at the :dillerman: where I bought my car and they promised to honor the warranty post tune, they wouldn't do this if issues were really that common. That place tunes cars every day, I spoke with the tech at length about it.
SAWCE
Drives: Ebombtra

I had probably $5k in modzzz on the GTI and don’t regret lighting that money on fire. Made the car unique to me and fun to drive. If I could have done something different I would have spent more when doing the coil overs instead of cheaping out with some used KW V1s.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:20 pm I had probably $5k in modzzz on the GTI and don’t regret lighting that money on fire. Made the car unique to me and fun to drive. If I could have done something different I would have spent more when doing the coil overs instead of cheaping out with some used KW V1s.
Yeah, if you keep long haul, $5K isn't much money amortized over 100K-200K miles.
ChrisoftheNorth

My MKV with a stage 1 tune was fine. I really liked that car, should have kept it.

My MKVI clutch slipped on stage 1. That's absolutely an issue because now you're paying to do a clutch when pretty much all aftermarket clutch options were compromises in some way (mostly drivability and NVH). I got lucky that there was a TSB out there for faulty clutches and mine was part of it, I put it in stock mode and the :dillerman: replaced. The replacement clutch was fine, but so was the original one when it wasn't tuned...dillerman only replaced the clutch because I brought a print-out of the TSB and told him the car was experiencing these issues and he performed the work ZFG.

I'm not sure if I'd tune a turbo car again, but I've lost most interest in modding and car stuff anyway, so I'm not a good reference point. I can agree that certain things are absolutely upgrades and worth doing, it's just a slippery slope. My C5 project was a prime example of that. I went from changing the clutch that failed to heads, cam, gears, etc, etc and still sold the car after a year taking a bath on all those parts. What a waste.
ChrisoftheNorth

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:20 pm I had probably $5k in modzzz on the GTI and don’t regret lighting that money on fire. Made the car unique to me and fun to drive. If I could have done something different I would have spent more when doing the coil overs instead of cheaping out with some used KW V1s.
Yeah, if you keep long haul, $5K isn't much money amortized over 100K-200K miles.
I don't actually think it matters how much you spend as long as you enjoy the vehicle long-term and it's worth it to you. I just think it's folly to assume you can dump money into something you already want to sell and magically want to keep it for significantly longer.
max225

Detroit wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:13 pm

I don't actually think it matters how much you spend as long as you enjoy the vehicle long-term and it's worth it to you. I just think it's folly to assume you can dump money into something you already want to sell and magically want to keep it for significantly longer.
:muah: exactly my point. Not one person here kept a car longer because of MODZ they kept it because they wanted to. Modding will not result in longer ownership.
coogles
First Sirloin
First Sirloin

max225 wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:17 pm
:muah: exactly my point. Not one person here kept a car longer because of MODZ they kept it because they wanted to. Modding will not result in longer ownership.
Would've sold my MK6 way sooner if I hadn't done the Uni 1+ tune. Did it at the 4 year mark and it made the car so much more enjoyable to drive, ended up keeping it for another 2.5 years. No way I would've made it that long without a tune.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Yeah, if you're already 100% over the car, sure. But just an ongoing occasional wrenching session/upgrade really keeps it fun/interesting long haul. A few upgrades to my C5 that have really made me fall in love again:

-Exhaust - so fun and worth $700, this makes every drive more enjoyable
-Steering wheel - already had it laying around from the Miata but that + alignment/tires really make the steering feel great
-Seat - GAME CHANGER on track or canyon roads
-$100 Kenwood headunit - added Bluetooth/USB which, IMO, is all that's really needed infotainment-wise. Having CD/FM only sucked, now I can listen to music/podcasts in a modern way
-Square setup - tires are actually cheaper now so the wheels paid for themselves and it handles completely differently
-DRM Bilstiens - for $300 more than moran OEM units, the car can actually ride like a normal car AND perform better in turns (that combined with raised ride height and it works just fine as a DD)

I could go on. Sure, I have dumped some Gs into it, but if I never did any of that I would've :plac: long ago, I'm currently at over six years. It has also been a fun thing to do that has been, to me, more rewarding than blowing money at bars or something. I mean, I work M-F every week, I really don't care that it's money I won't get back, contrary to DFD logic, not everything needs to be an "investment".
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:wrong:
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:25 pm
:wrong:
time to K09 the 4R only way it'll get kept.