Do I dare sell the 4Runner?!

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Acid666
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: 02 Z06/95 Meowta/05 SilveraDOE

I haven't been able to completely dig thru this whole thread, but I read pieces of the original post.
I will say this, my good friend has what I think is a 98 4runner. I just looked up the generations and I think his matches the 3rd gen pictures. He's replaced all the parts as needed with OEM Denso parts, and done his regular maintenance since he's owned it. He's about to push 300K miles on that bad boy. They're made to last, so if you just keep up with your routine maintenance and stick to good quality Denso replacement parts, you'll get a ton of life out of it.

If you're looking to have a quality daily that's paid off and lasts till nearly the end of eternity, I wouldn't sell it. If you're looking to get into something newer, well prices for used ones is sky high right now so now is the time. All depends on what your budget and what you need out of an SUV are right now. For me, I'm all about the cheapness and best bang for the buck. My Silverado is pushing 235K miles and I spent $3K on it. So I plan to ride it to the ground because it runs solid, tows, has cargo space with the crew cab, the ac works... It's a functioning vehicle that works for me. Some people like nice and new and better interiors etc. I don't really care about that kinda stuff, so I'm in the camp of keep and maintain it till it's dead and save a ton of money in the mean time. But you might not feel the same, and that's ok :)
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:57 am
Tarspin wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:28 am I think that the 4runner is the kind of vehicle that best serves to be repaired when need be and driven into the next century. The majority of parts are designed to last and the nagging little things that wear out are cheap, like clock springs. I'd keep it personally and plan to do so with a highly strung out blue egg with hopes that it can serve me well. Cars and trucks just haven't gotten that much better in the last five years so there's personally no appeal for me to want to :troywax: on new things, plus the COL keeps going up and is :gag:

I'm also really happy driving around in depreciated metal that can take dings and dents like a champ without me going internally :rage: each time that I see a new thing.

I would however tackle rust issues and stone chips if it were my rig.

One of the things I struggle with is the mentality that it’s designed to last forever. Everyone says it but it’s all anecdotal evidence “I know a guy who had a different platform vehicle from that brand that had 400K on it”... great but that’s not really relevant. There’s a local dude who harps on about the longevity of the 5th gen because he wheels with 220,000 miles, however he’s fails to mention he bought from an older lady who out 200,000 miles on it driving the highway between Denver and Wyoming for work, that’s thing has about as easy of a life as you could imagine this far.

It *should* last a long time, however all claims that it **WILL** seem to be anecdotal, and I don’t partially like to deal in hypotheticals. If it doesn’t last another 15-20 years I will have missed my chance to buy new and over maintain and care for it from day 1.

At the same time the money saved would cover all the mods I want to do, refresh the T4R a bit, and still cover a trailer with some money left over.
You know what you gotta do then. Nothing is more reliable then a new car.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Built 4Runner & Pontiac Vibe

D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:02 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:20 am
:bruh:

You're going to have to re-dial in the exact same vehicle when you get it for what...piece of mind? This isn't a BMW M car with an engine made of glass, these things are popular because of their proven reliability/durability.

You've done way too much to this thing to start over again and end up basically in the same place with the same vehicle a bit newer. I say keep it, set aside some funds for maintenance and have more fun modding or buying a trailer (like you hinted to) or something.

To help the case, make a list of what could possibly fail? These are simple vehicles. Engine should last forever, how's the transmission and t-case in these? The axles should be pretty stout, but maybe plan to replace/upgrade eventually if things start to so wear.
:notwrong: It sounds like he made up his mind prior to posting and is looking for some validation.

:iono: man it's not what I would do, but if it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it! Either way you'll have a :nice: rig for all of the fun stuff you're doing.
My mind is far from made up, but at this point I’m more leaning towards keeping it.
www.aguyagirlandatrail.com
instagram.com/aguyagirlandatrail
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

DP
Last edited by Tar on Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 am How's the rust/corrosion situ on this nasty bitch? To me that's the one thing that cannot be fixed. Ain't nobody with a job driving around a Bondo'd rig. I have zero problems with your plan.
How many man hours is it going to take to move all of your mods from this truck to the new one?
Surface rust in places but it’s minimal. I would replace it in a heart beat of rust was issue on this one. There’s a spot on the leading edge of the roof that’s starting to rust where it get a big rock chip and 2 spots on the rear hatch where there are dings. I’d fix those if I kept it. There would be a lot of time spent swapping everything. Realistically I’d spend like 2 weeks on it having to take both vehicles apart.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:56 am How's the rust/corrosion situ on this nasty bitch? To me that's the one thing that cannot be fixed. Ain't nobody with a job driving around a Bondo'd rig. I have zero problems with your plan.
How many man hours is it going to take to move all of your mods from this truck to the new one?
This is a valid concern, but I don't think there's much to worry about in Colorado.
:really: How do you figure?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:47 pm
D Griff wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:02 pm

:notwrong: It sounds like he made up his mind prior to posting and is looking for some validation.

:iono: man it's not what I would do, but if it makes you happy and you can afford it, go for it! Either way you'll have a :nice: rig for all of the fun stuff you're doing.
My mind is far from made up, but at this point I’m more leaning towards keeping it.
:word:

I just see soo many gen 2/3 4Runners running around here still that are clearly neglected dailies and still look/run fine, these things are built to last. With your skills and attention to detail with maintenance, I don't see why it couldn't be a 400K :truk: My only concern is rust with all the snow y'all get, maybe use whatever other car y'all have for winter duty when you can.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:53 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm
This is a valid concern, but I don't think there's much to worry about in Colorado.
Using Sand instead of salt on the road. Salt is what rusts vehicles, and Colorado doesn't use nearly as much as midwest/east costs states.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:58 pm

Using Sand instead of salt on the road. Salt is what rusts vehicles, and Colorado doesn't use nearly as much as midwest/east costs states.
I was unaware of this.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

max225 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:47 am

There are some nice Fox shocks on the new TuRD Pro, however I’d immediately pull them off and sell them. My current setup is custom length, extended travel, 2.5” bodied remote reservoir Kings that are custom valved to my specific setup on my specific vehicle. That are valved to be a perfect match for the springs I run, the weight of my vehicle, the amount of unsparing weight per corner, and how I use it. Out of the box generically setup Fox would not be an upgrade.

My timeline doesn’t require me to buy right now. Things are hard to find and expensive because of COVID shutting down factories and affecting supply. I’m in no hurry to make a change, I just want to determine if I’m going to plan to or not because that’s the difference in new mods now or waiting for a new runner to happen.
I don't understand this. If you're going this custom there is no point in getting a TRD pro period. Get a TRD off road and do the same. It is far easier to get and will not be subject to Dealer fuckery and mark up.

The Pro used to be a bullshit money grab, it was a TRD Off Road with port installed grill, shocks, skid plate, and black accents.

That’s not the case anymore. The new Pro has a few things you can’t get with Off Road Premium (not including the regular Pro stuff) like auto headlights, LED high beams, premium JBL audio with the factory sub, dual zone climate control, heated side mirror glass, and smart key. Those are things I currently have (minus OEM LEDs) that I don’t want to give up and is only available in a Limited or PRO. Holding out for a pro without a markup would get me all those things, plus the exclusive Lunar color I’m really liking, and TRD Pro specific skid plate, Fox suspension, roof rack, and new for 2021 wheels are all stuff I’d take off and sell narrow the price gap between a Pro and an Off Road Premium.
Last edited by Dbest on Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm

I don't understand this. If you're going this custom there is no point in getting a TRD pro period. Get a TRD off road and do the same. It is far easier to get and will not be subject to Dealer fuckery and mark up.

The Pro used to be a bullshit money grab, it was a TRD Off Road with port installed grill, shocks, skid plate, and black accents.

That’s not the case anymore. The new Pro has a few things you can’t get with Off Road Premium (not including the regular Pro stuff) like auto headlights, LED high beams, premium JBL audio with the factory sub, dual zone climate control, heated side mirror glass, and smart key. Those are things I currently have (minus OEM LEDs) that I don’t want to give up and is only available in a Limited or PRO. Holding out for a pro without a markup would get me all those things, plus the exclusive Lunar color I’m really liking, and TRD Pro specific skid plate, Fox suspension, roof rack, and new for 2021 wheels are all stuff I’d take off and sell narrow the price gap between a Pro and an Off Road Premium.

The TRD skid plate
Send Fledonfoot a PM with questions as he is at one of the big east coast Toyota dealers and could
Probably answer inventory allocation etc. he’s helping Max out in his Tacoma search
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm
I was unaware of this.
Northern MI is the same. Cars that live their entire lives up here don't rust nearly as bad as cars down state. They usually just plow the roads up here and don't even bother with salt/sand because there aren't that many people who live here and those that do know how to drive fine in snow. Downtown will have some salt, but that's it. Whereas downstate, all roads everywhere are driving on liquid salt, which is the main culprit for corrosion.

Also why I should really buy JP's STI and rally the peninsula all winter. Would be an epic riot.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm

The TRD skid plate
:dat: $400 skid plate of flex.

If you're that particular about options then you corner yourself into the PRO only. The spread between a PRO and OFF road is 7k at MSRP, but probably closer to 10k when you figure in the fact that PROs simply have no money on the hood.

It is a bit different from the tacoma differences, as equally equipped off roads cost the same as pro so the delta is dillerman discounts only.
I would have a really hard time with the 5 figure upcharge to be honest. As you know toyota tends to trickle the prior year PRO colors into current year, so army green is available now on certain trims. The issue is if you want a COLOR and a select set of options you're f'ked at toyota.
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:07 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:02 pm

I was unaware of this.
Northern MI is the same. Cars that live their entire lives up here don't rust nearly as bad as cars down state. They usually just plow the roads up here and don't even bother with salt/sand because there aren't that many people who live here and those that do know how to drive fine in snow. Downtown will have some salt, but that's it. Whereas downstate, all roads everywhere are driving on liquid salt, which is the main culprit for corrosion.

Also why I should really buy JP's STI and rally the peninsula all winter. Would be an epic riot.
In my Utopian Kingdom, salt would be banned.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:15 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:07 pm

In my Utopian Kingdom, salt would be banned.
Salt tastes good :hubba:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

:science: :themoreyouknow: :mindblown: :impressive:
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

Colorado is not the land of rust... back in Chicago on the other hand, holy shit they were bad.
fledonfoot
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: Taco Truk | Power Wheels Heep

Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 am
razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:04 am Hey man! Honestly it’s a tough choice. If you say the AWD Highlander will be the new family/snow/ski hauler, I honestly don’t think you should get a new one unless $30k is worth whatever last year 5th gen upgrades would be. Could you retrofit CarPlay head unit into yours? 130k miles is a lot but your car is so well maintained it might as well be 1/4 of that.

I think you’ve built a ton of memories with this 4Runner and gone on a lot of adventures, and I am not usually one for sappy perspectives but I’d imagine it’s probably worth a bit more to you sentimentally than just what a KBB offer book says.

If there’s any way to keep this one as a fun/project/crawler, have the Highlander for family duties and then maybe (if you want to stay with Toyota) get the new Supra instead, that would be a total power play.

However, I don’t know your work sitch and last we ever heard you were doing CIA level stuff with an undisclosed manufacturer. So you probably have access to pre-production/test mules/etc that you probably have to put miles on (spirited ones at that).

:notsure:

Can’t go wrong either way to be honest, it’s a familiar platform and mostly a lateral move like you mentioned. If $15k wasn’t an issue at this point in time I would probably keep the silver one for sentimental value and/or passing it down to the kiddo or something.
The “upgrades” in the new ones are more updates. OEM LED high and low beams is nice, CarPlay is nice, air injection for emissions and standard driver assist systems I could do without. As a whole the changes over time bring more negatives than positives, but’s it’s never been about updated stuff on the vehicle, it’s just strictly about erasing a decade of wear and tear and hard use.

There’s definitely something to be said for sentimental value. I have less than zero interest in a Supra or a sports car of any kind, I still get more than my fair share of time behind the wheel of 7-8-900 hp prototypes. That’s scratches that itch for sure
Keep it. Spend $2k on a nice stereo, and throw a few bucks at freshening up the suspension. It’s the same truck.

Or hold out for the 4Runner Prime late next year.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

fledonfoot wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:41 pm
Dbest wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:38 am

The “upgrades” in the new ones are more updates. OEM LED high and low beams is nice, CarPlay is nice, air injection for emissions and standard driver assist systems I could do without. As a whole the changes over time bring more negatives than positives, but’s it’s never been about updated stuff on the vehicle, it’s just strictly about erasing a decade of wear and tear and hard use.

There’s definitely something to be said for sentimental value. I have less than zero interest in a Supra or a sports car of any kind, I still get more than my fair share of time behind the wheel of 7-8-900 hp prototypes. That’s scratches that itch for sure
Keep it. Spend $2k on a nice stereo, and throw a few bucks at freshening up the suspension. It’s the same truck.

Or hold out for the 4Runner Prime late next year.
:micdrop:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
razr390

BUT WHAT SHOULD HE DO
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

razr390 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:47 pm BUT WHAT SHOULD HE DO
This will be me when my extended warranty runs out.
Dbest
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class

I make up my mind like everyday, then the next day I change it... then repeat and repeat and repeat.

I should just do something stupid like buy a snorkel so I have to cut a big ass hole in the fender and commit.
razr390

Dbest wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am I make up my mind like everyday, then the next day I change it... then repeat and repeat and repeat.

I should just do something stupid like buy a snorkel so I have to cut a big ass hole in the fender and commit.
Send it.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Dbest wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:22 am I make up my mind like everyday, then the next day I change it... then repeat and repeat and repeat.

I like this idea.

Usually when the :plac: desire hits, a modification of some kind keeps it at bay, that is why I am constantly, slowly adding things to my Corvette, as I know it is really the ideal vehicle for my uses but I find myself wanting to do other things, just to mix it up.
max225

D Griff wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:43 pm

I like this idea.

Usually when the :plac: desire hits, a modification of some kind keeps it at bay, that is why I am constantly, slowly adding things to my Corvette, as I know it is really the ideal vehicle for my uses but I find myself wanting to do other things, just to mix it up.
Counter point. I got CCW wheels for the vette for that very reason and then I hated myself for wasting money on a car I didn’t want there to begin with

Mods are not the answer imo. Also the 4R is way more modded than a “desert air intake”