Android Auto/ACP Discussion Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

wap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:16 pm
3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm ITT: Old men yelling at clouds.

AA/CP is the bees knees. I see no issue with the size of that direction panel As while you're driving at highway speed the map will zoom out to let you see more roads and as you get closer to your destination it will zoom in.
Do you use AA or ACP?
Exactly how do you use it that makes it the knees of bees?

My problem with that direction panel is that it's MUCH bigger than it needs to be, making the rest of the screen that's actually devoted to the map no bigger than my phone screen so I'm all :butwhy:
I think it's just a matter of how you're thinking about AA/CP; it's not supposed to be some mind blowing feature rather than a seamless mirroring app. The panel is not much bigger than what shows up when using google maps on the phone, and the font sizes and speech prompts are all adequately sized to be glanced at and read/understood quickly.

I paid for the built in navigation on the Colorado and ended up only using the Android Auto feature because GMaps was far superior than the garbage that GM ships with their vehicles.
troyguitar
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 pm :notwrong:

I thought you were a capitalist :doe:
:dat: but for some odd reason capitalistic principles haven’t truly applied to amazon for years. They kept getting held to a different standard for “disrupting” retail
Huh? They have the capital so they kick the little guy in the teeth. That's how it works.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:26 pm
max225 wrote:
:dat: but for some odd reason capitalistic principles haven’t truly applied to amazon for years. They kept getting held to a different standard for “disrupting” retail
Huh? They have the capital so they kick the little guy in the teeth. That's how it works.
Sort of, it’s quite a bit more complicated than that but overall yea. Just like Uber “has the capital” to disrupt taxi cab industry, yet they have never made a dime.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:25 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Do you use AA or ACP?
Exactly how do you use it that makes it the knees of bees?

My problem with that direction panel is that it's MUCH bigger than it needs to be, making the rest of the screen that's actually devoted to the map no bigger than my phone screen so I'm all :butwhy:
I think it's just a matter of how you're thinking about AA/CP; it's not supposed to be some mind blowing feature rather than a seamless mirroring app. The panel is not much bigger than what shows up when using google maps on the phone, and the font sizes and speech prompts are all adequately sized to be glanced at and read/understood quickly.

I paid for the built in navigation on the Colorado and ended up only using the Android Auto feature because GMaps was far superior than the garbage that GM ships with their vehicles.
I think that's my problem with it. So many people (not just on here) rave about it that I suspect my expectations were raised to unrealistic heights. I suppose I should just be happy that mine works as intended since I often have :mahtroy: luck with tech. I'm also not much of a fan of a lot of tech, either. Good point on the Fisher Price font sizes being designed to be used at a glance.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Max, do you feel similarly about Walmart, since they also killed a lot of smaller retail shops?
Honest question.
max225

wap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:35 pm Max, do you feel similarly about Walmart, since they also killed a lot of smaller retail shops?
Honest question.
Yes. I used to avoid them for that very reason. But now I’d much rather Walmart than amazon, if I had to pick a poison between the two
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:35 pm Max, do you feel similarly about Walmart, since they also killed a lot of smaller retail shops?
Honest question.
Yes. I used to avoid them for that very reason. But now I’d much rather Walmart than amazon, if I had to pick a poison between the two
It's funny that Walmart is now the "underdog".

I know several people who have worked for Walmart, one dude at corp. in Arkansas, my sister here in NC in an office setting, and my niece in a store and all three actually loved the company and said great things about working there. Obviously it doesn't change the fact that they hurt many other businesses, but interesting to hear IMO.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:34 am
max225 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:10 pm

It's funny that Walmart is now the "underdog".

I know several people who have worked for Walmart, one dude at corp. in Arkansas, my sister here in NC in an office setting, and my niece in a store and all three actually loved the company and said great things about working there. Obviously it doesn't change the fact that they hurt many other businesses, but interesting to hear IMO.
They have a really odd company culture, I.e save every penny everywhere. Corp offices are lame af etc etc etc they know their customers well doe.

What I like about Walmart is the fact that you know going in that whatever price you pay for anything is 9/10 times or more cheaper than anywhere else.
Gberg2119
First Sirloin
First Sirloin
Drives: W///

Don't forget about the Amazon Basics line too. While already having a monopoly on sales, they pretty much make their own knockoffs of popular products.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:59 am Don't forget about the Amazon Basics line too. While already having a monopoly on sales, they pretty much make their own knockoffs of popular products.

:dat: My company makes/sells a lot of shit, a lot of it is commodity products like cables, mounts, etc. Those :bs: Amazon Basics are a major point of :rolleyes: for me.
max225

D Griff wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:11 pm
Gberg2119 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:59 am Don't forget about the Amazon Basics line too. While already having a monopoly on sales, they pretty much make their own knockoffs of popular products.

:dat: My company makes/sells a lot of shit, a lot of it is commodity products like cables, mounts, etc. Those :bs: Amazon Basics are a major point of :rolleyes: for me.
Same ... some of the amazon shit is being sold at what it costs us to manufacture it ... before amazon takes their margin etc
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Used CarPlay a lot this week on our road trip. All in all... I am with :wap: . Just :aintcare: over having a vent mount. I don't love that it has to be plugged in. Also, I was trying to use a different route than fastest (back roads rather than interstate) and Google was constantly trying to get me to change back to the interstate route. When just using the phone it's a lot easier to select the route you want and to exit the route you don't want when Google knows best.

:iono: I do like having the map on the car's screen but I'd never choose a car based on having ACP or not.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm Used CarPlay a lot this week on our road trip. All in all... I am with :wap: . Just :aintcare: over having a vent mount. I don't love that it has to be plugged in. Also, I was trying to use a different route than fastest (back roads rather than interstate) and Google was constantly trying to get me to change back to the interstate route. When just using the phone it's a lot easier to select the route you want and to exit the route you don't want when Google knows best.

:iono: I do like having the map on the car's screen but I'd never choose a car based on having ACP or not.
Agreed on all counts. I'd rather have a fucking compass in my cluster than AA/ACP.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

wap wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm
D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:25 pm Used CarPlay a lot this week on our road trip. All in all... I am with :wap: . Just :aintcare: over having a vent mount. I don't love that it has to be plugged in. Also, I was trying to use a different route than fastest (back roads rather than interstate) and Google was constantly trying to get me to change back to the interstate route. When just using the phone it's a lot easier to select the route you want and to exit the route you don't want when Google knows best.

Agreed on all counts. I'd rather have a fucking compass in my cluster than AA/ACP.
:lolol: :mahman: I think I agree. Fortunately the :jeep: does have ze compass feature.
max225

The compass complaint may actually surpass my :225: complaint :lolgasm:
max225

Ritchie Navigation Explorer Compass, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY3WA/re ... -EbNQSVFN6

Solution for $58

Delaman Car Compass Electronic Adjustable Military Marine Ball Night Vision Compass for Boat Vehicle Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6PV12G/re ... -EbXYJ9H08

Solution for $12.99
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm
wap wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 pm

:lolol: :mahman: I think I agree. Fortunately the :jeep: does have ze compass feature.
:mahman:
I would think it would be critical in a vehicle designed to go waaaaay off any road, for sure.

There were many, many times on our recent little road trip a couple weeks ago where it would have come in extremely handy.
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:31 pm The compass complaint may actually surpass my :225: complaint :lolgasm:
:lolol:
:notsure: , but you may be :notwrong:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm Ritchie Navigation Explorer Compass, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY3WA/re ... -EbNQSVFN6

Solution for $58

Delaman Car Compass Electronic Adjustable Military Marine Ball Night Vision Compass for Boat Vehicle Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P6PV12G/re ... -EbXYJ9H08

Solution for $12.99
Or... hang this from the rear view mirror on a gold chain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KN9FBZL/re ... NrPXRydWU=
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:32 pm Ritchie Navigation Explorer Compass, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AY3WA/re ... -EbNQSVFN6

Solution for $58

Solution for $12.99
I saw those. :notsure: how/where I'd mount those. I'm not drilling or screwing into my dash, that's for sure.
wap

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Solution for $58

Solution for $12.99
Or... hang this from the rear view mirror on a gold chain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KN9FBZL/re ... NrPXRydWU=
Can't really look at that while driving, :doe: , especially at night.
max225

D Griff wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:37 pm

Solution for $58

Solution for $12.99
:lolgasm: epic
max225

Ok phone mount with compass app ?!
wap

max225 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 pm Ok phone mount with compass app ?!
That's probably the least bad solution so far.

Fucking cheap-ass VW :rage:
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

I only know of one single time that the compass was actually useful in my MK6.

Does veedub sell a rear view mirror with a digital compass built in?