Android Auto/ACP Discussion Thread

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
MrH42
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: '23 Lightning + '23 BRZ

I'm surprised by the answers in this thread.

I run Carplay 100% of the time I'm in a car that has it. I use Waze everywhere I go. It's like having a much more accurate, built in radar detector that integrates into the screen. All my texts are read to be, I can take phone calls, listen to podcasts, etc.

Outback I use carplay. The S2000 has a phone mount up near my hand, waze running the whole time, all sound Bluetoothing to the headunit hidden behind the door.
wap
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Blue Meanie

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:04 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:58 pm
It seems to this :wap: that a connected :haus: just leaves you so exposed to hackers and eavesdroppers that it's a hard :nope: for me until it becomes so ubiquitous that I can't avoid it.

I agree with you as well about using AA/CP. With that big green square taking up 40% of the screen, and my screen being the :jalepenis: 6.5" version, it's really not much better, if ANY better, than my phone screen. Also BT-quality audio is perfectly :fine: for audiobooks, and the Maps prompts come through the stereo and pause the book
as well. And if I want to listen to music I just switch to my on-board SD card - so glad that VW didn't delete this capability from their :poverty: HU. I suppose if I had enough monthly data to allow me to stream then I'd use some AA-supported radio or music ap but I don't so :aintcare:
The SD card is actually :neat:

In the car most of my listening is just BT streaming podcasts or streaming music. Quality be damned.

Also, I feel like the smart house paranoia is somewhat :caspian: but I feel the exact same way. I't sjust :butwhy: have more stuff listening in on you 24/7? Does it matter? Not really, but I just don't care for it. It's also just more stuff to :dealwithit: as there are glitches, things to update software on, blah. Fuck tech, I don't like it.
So much :dat:
Plus, hasn't Amazon already admitted that their Alexa thing listens in the background even when you're not directly talking to it (by starting sentences with, "Alexa, xxx") and the only way to keep it from eavesdropping on you is to turn it off or remove it from the room? Fuck that.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
wap

Apex wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:05 pm

In the car most of my listening is just BT streaming podcasts or streaming music. Quality be damned.

Also, I feel like the smart house paranoia is somewhat :caspian: but I feel the exact same way. I't sjust :butwhy: have more stuff listening in on you 24/7? Does it matter? Not really, but I just don't care for it. It's also just more stuff to :dealwithit: as there are glitches, things to update software on, blah. Fuck tech, I don't like it.
I don’t need my fridge or stove to know when I’m :fap:
Exactly! And I also usually :fap: in my kitchen. :lol:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:39 pm
Apex wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:05 pm

I don’t need my fridge or stove to know when I’m :fap:
I :fap: wherever I damn please. :gtfo: Alexa, no one wants you here.
wap

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:40 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:39 pm

I :fap: wherever I damn please. :gtfo: Alexa, no one wants you here.
:dat:
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:58 pm
It seems to this :wap: that a connected :haus: just leaves you so exposed to hackers and eavesdroppers that it's a hard :nope: for me until it becomes so ubiquitous that I can't avoid it.

I agree with you as well about using AA/CP. With that big green square taking up 40% of the screen, and my screen being the :jalepenis: 6.5" version, it's really not much better, if ANY better, than my phone screen. Also BT-quality audio is perfectly :fine: for audiobooks, and the Maps prompts come through the stereo and pause the book
as well. And if I want to listen to music I just switch to my on-board SD card - so glad that VW didn't delete this capability from their :poverty: HU. I suppose if I had enough monthly data to allow me to stream then I'd use some AA-supported radio or music ap but I don't so :aintcare:

IDGAF if people listen to me. They're going to be pretty bored. :iono:

Overall, I too hate tech. I'm surprised by how much use I get out of the smart home tech...it's about the only tech I utilize. Shockingly free of glitches and more useful than I ever expected.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

I refuse to support Bezos and I have cancelled amazon crime. Fuck em.
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm I refuse to support Bezos and I have cancelled amazon crime. Fuck em.
I like the TV programming. If it wasn't for that I'd cancel Prime for sure.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:49 pm I refuse to support Bezos and I have cancelled amazon crime. Fuck em.
:ohmy:
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 pm
Did you watch Upload?
Johnny_P
Drives: Blue short bus

wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:00 pm

Did you watch Upload?
Yeah. Interesting show. Hope they do another season. The actual uplink process had me :shock: :lolol:
ChrisoftheNorth

I need to do this.

The value just isn't there now that the supply chain takes forever. I don't even watch any content really...
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
wap

Johnny_P wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:54 pm
wap wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm

Did you watch Upload?
Yeah. Interesting show. Hope they do another season. The actual uplink process had me :shock: :lolol:
:lol: It was certainly a good show, pretty original, imo.
Just read an article in our local paper this week about the main character's friend at Horizen. I forget his name. The dude who lost his legs in the army or whatever. He was profiled because he's from here and went to high school nearby. Anyway, he said that the show was renewed but production is currently suspended because of Covfefe-19. But it was renewed, so that's :fuckyeah:
3rdgenfan
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Meat Patty 2nd Class
Drives: Frontier, Rabbit TDI, G8 GXP

ITT: Old men yelling at clouds.

AA/CP is the bees knees. I see no issue with the size of that direction panel As while you're driving at highway speed the map will zoom out to let you see more roads and as you get closer to your destination it will zoom in.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 pm CP is good, especially now with the split-screen functionality that just came out.

AA, last time I experimented with it, I was not quite as enamored with.
Split screen?

I must be missing something. This hasn't been presented to me.

I have the dashboard thing, but that's it.
wap

3rdgenfan wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm ITT: Old men yelling at clouds.

AA/CP is the bees knees. I see no issue with the size of that direction panel As while you're driving at highway speed the map will zoom out to let you see more roads and as you get closer to your destination it will zoom in.
Do you use AA or ACP?
Exactly how do you use it that makes it the knees of bees?

My problem with that direction panel is that it's MUCH bigger than it needs to be, making the rest of the screen that's actually devoted to the map no bigger than my phone screen so I'm all :butwhy:
ChrisoftheNorth

Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm
[user not found] wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:36 pm CP is good, especially now with the split-screen functionality that just came out.

Split screen?

No split screen. The map behind the green direction box will automatically zoom in and out depending on how far you are from the next direction change.
razr390
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: MK7.5 on 87

Split screen?

iOS 13 introduced CarPlay updates that allows you to have split screen map and then other functions on the other half such as audio, calendar, quick routing to home/work. Right now split screen only works with Apple Maps but will work with GMaps and Waze as soon as they add the update
:doughnut: :narc: :doughnut:
Desertbreh wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:05 pm DFD. The forum where everybody makes the same choices and then tells anybody trying to join the club that they are the stupidest motherfucker to ever walk the earth.
Wocka Wocka
Meat Patty 1st Class
Meat Patty 1st Class
Drives: Nothing Good

razr390 wrote:
Wocka Wocka wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:38 pm Split screen?

iOS 13 introduced CarPlay updates that allows you to have split screen map and then other functions on the other half such as audio, calendar, quick routing to home/work. Right now split screen only works with Apple Maps but will work with GMaps and Waze as soon as they add the update
Ah. Yes. I did read about that.

Google and Waze seem to be taking their good ol’ time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wap

razr390 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:14 pm

Split screen?

:notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

Out of curiosity, why do you consider Amazon so evil?
max225

D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:33 pm
Because they are essentially a Monopoly that has destroyed all competition by going below cost to lure consumers, and using funds from their then profitable "cloud" business to fund the money losing retail business, while driving every brick and mortar into the ground. And no they didn't get driven into the ground because they "refused to adopt".

Now that they have eliminated nearly every competitor, they have started to raise prices. It is a shit ass corporate strategy, and it exposes us all as consumers to an unstoppable force, that controls the entire ONLINE marketplace, it is way too much power to have within 1 entity.

Not one company can compete with amazon at this point and stay competitive online.

I have a lot more to say on this, as they used to be my competitor and are now my customer. But overall it is a whole lotta :disgust:
troyguitar
Drives: Trek Domane

max225 wrote:
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:33 pm Out of curiosity, why do you consider Amazon so evil?
Because they are essentially a Monopoly that has destroyed all competition by going below cost to lure consumers, and using funds from their then profitable "cloud" business to fund the money losing retail business, while driving every brick and mortar into the ground. And no they didn't get driven into the ground because they "refused to adopt".

Now that they have eliminated nearly every competitor, they have started to raise prices. It is a shit ass corporate strategy, and it exposes us all as consumers to an unstoppable force, that controls the entire ONLINE marketplace, it is way too much power to have within 1 entity.

Not one company can compete with amazon at this point and stay competitive online.

I have a lot more to say on this, as they used to be my competitor and are now my customer. But overall it is a whole lotta :disgust:
:notwrong:

I thought you were a capitalist :doe:
max225

troyguitar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:51 pm
max225 wrote:

:notwrong:

I thought you were a capitalist :doe:
:dat: but for some odd reason capitalistic principles haven’t truly applied to amazon for years. They kept getting held to a different standard for “disrupting” retail
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator

max225 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:42 pm
D Griff wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:33 pm

Interesting/ :notwrong:

Funny story: so my company is a distributor, we sell directly to custom install/design companies ONLY. A lot of our products we manufacture and sell under our own brands, but we also distribute 3rd party brands. One line we carry is Logitech Harmony. I don't do much residential business but from time to time I have my customers call me bitching about how the Harmony line is cheaper on Amazon than our "wholesale" pricing. I basically site your reasons above and am like :bruh: Amazon is selling it for less than we pay for it, we make very low margins on that stuff as-is due to :impressive: bean counting at Logitech ( :trollface: ).

But it is a pain in my ass as someone competing against them in many areas. My customer's customers are always like "I can get this display mount, surveillance system, etc. on Amazon for 1/2 of what you're charging" but in many cases they're selling sub standard trash product.

:ohwell:

Pre COVID they did a good job with shipping. Maybe I should sever ties. Check out WIKIBuy if you use Amazon, it's a Chrome extension that will find better pricing on everything you're looking at at Amazon.