Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm Got the Jeep. They actually did a really nice job. Looks like they detailed the outside of it, refurbished all the plastic fenders and everything, inside is nice and shiny. Steering wheel is ever so slightly cocked clockwise, but it drives straight so :aintcare:

I actually really like the new bumper. Detroit, I may need some help finding part numbers for the fog lamps/lenses.
:angry: As expected... but fairly easy fix. Any vibrations or other issues ? check all the lights etc make sure they work.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

Looks clean, I like the bumper!
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

max225 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:24 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm Got the Jeep. They actually did a really nice job. Looks like they detailed the outside of it, refurbished all the plastic fenders and everything, inside is nice and shiny. Steering wheel is ever so slightly cocked clockwise, but it drives straight so :aintcare:

I actually really like the new bumper. Detroit, I may need some help finding part numbers for the fog lamps/lenses.
:angry: As expected... but fairly easy fix. Any vibrations or other issues ? check all the lights etc make sure they work.
Nope, everything else working as it should. They largely did excellent work, just the shitty customer service aspect knocks them down a bit. Nobody offered an apology or explanation for missing delivery dates and not calling to communicate.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Glad everything worked out well in the end, but holy :balls: that was some shitty customer service. :rage:
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

wap wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 pm Glad everything worked out well in the end, but holy :balls: that was some shitty customer service. :rage:
Yeah. They did such a good job on the actual work, minus the slight turn in the steering wheel, that I won’t leave as bad of a review as I was planning on.

Their work is guaranteed for as long as I own the vehicle, so I’m going to drive for a week or two and see if the steering wheel bothers me and if it does I’ll bring it in for them to fix.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 pm
wap wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:22 pm Glad everything worked out well in the end, but holy :balls: that was some shitty customer service. :rage:
Yeah. They did such a good job on the actual work, minus the slight turn in the steering wheel, that I won’t leave as bad of a review as I was planning on.

Their work is guaranteed for as long as I own the vehicle, so I’m going to drive for a week or two and see if the steering wheel bothers me and if it does I’ll bring it in for them to fix.
Check this vid out, it explains fairly well how the shop can correct the steering wheel turn.

I'd probably do it after some settle time, maybe they'll redo the alignment after fixing the wheel turn which will play in your favor down the road.
wap
Drives: Blue Meanie

Also, check your tar pressures. They may be uneven which can also knock your wheel a it off true.
:wap: Where are these mangos?
Detroit wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:19 pm I don't understand anything anymore.
SAWCE

Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:23 pm
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:08 pm

Check this vid out, it explains fairly well how the shop can correct the steering wheel turn.

I'd probably do it after some settle time, maybe they'll redo the alignment after fixing the wheel turn which will play in your favor down the road.
Thanks! I was actually wondering if it’d settle a bit, so that’s good to know.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:54 pm
Tarspin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:23 pm

Thanks! I was actually wondering if it’d settle a bit, so that’s good to know.
It did on my MK6, and probably the :gorf: after I bonked a rock. You might as well take advantage of kinked wheel and get it tuned in.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

Honestly, I'd look to the aftermarket for "fog lights". You might be able to find some plug and play off road light pods that would work and look way better.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Hit up Diode Dynamics or Baja Designs for some baller fogs.
ChrisoftheNorth

[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 am
SAWCE wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:06 pm Image

The bull bar has to be purchased separately from the bumper and mounted, and they didn’t have that listed when they sent me the part number for the bumper so I was surprised to see that they ended up ordering and installing it.
Bumper looks fantastic. :like:
It really does. Nice upgrade there IMO.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:27 am

Honestly, I'd look to the aftermarket for "fog lights". You might be able to find some plug and play off road light pods that would work and look way better.
Yeah I’m gonna measure the hole diameter, I think it’s 3”, and try to find some nice LED like Apex’s suggested Diode Dynamics.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:28 am
[user not found] wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:19 am

Bumper looks fantastic. :like:
Yeah I’m pretty happy. I wish there was a matching style for a rear bumper.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:52 am
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:28 am
Really? I feel like that bumper matches the look of the rear plastic decently. There's really no other benefit to a metal rear bumper other than looks.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:52 am

Really? I feel like that bumper matches the look of the rear plastic decently. There's really no other benefit to a metal rear bumper other than looks.
Just for the looks mostly. I like how they look, and the Willy’s rear bumper has a glossy finish in the middle that doesn’t quite match anything else now. The plastic end caps match fine.
SAWCE

Driving the Jeep last night and this morning it was definitely noticeable how much road noise there is compared to that SUV I was in.. I guess I’d gotten used to it before. I’ll probably grab a headliner and do some sound deadening stuff up on the roof before I put that in to help quiet it down. I’d also like to rip out the carpet and beeline the tub at some point which I think would help as well.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:45 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:26 pm
Just for the looks mostly. I like how they look, and the Willy’s rear bumper has a glossy finish in the middle that doesn’t quite match anything else now. The plastic end caps match fine.
Oh, that's right! I forgot about that gloss black piece.

The :scrooge: option would be to find a all matte black plastic JK bumper, I bet you could find one for free.99
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:51 pm Driving the Jeep last night and this morning it was definitely noticeable how much road noise there is compared to that SUV I was in.. I guess I’d gotten used to it before. I’ll probably grab a headliner and do some sound deadening stuff up on the roof before I put that in to help quiet it down. I’d also like to rip out the carpet and beeline the tub at some point which I think would help as well.
A few things...

First of all, make sure the body shop didn't remove a drain plug from the floor and forgot to put it back. I had an engineering JT last year where the drain plugs were removed for reasons and the road noise increase was incredible. Not sure if they did work in that area, but it's worth peeling back the carpet under in the front footwells to check.

Headliners make a massive difference in road/wind noise, at least in the JL. I suspect the JK is similar, so that's where I'd start if I were you.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:51 pm Driving the Jeep last night and this morning it was definitely noticeable how much road noise there is compared to that SUV I was in.. I guess I’d gotten used to it before. I’ll probably grab a headliner and do some sound deadening stuff up on the roof before I put that in to help quiet it down. I’d also like to rip out the carpet and beeline the tub at some point which I think would help as well.
I wouldn't fuck with it... that's the name of the game in these things. Also you're on worn tires correct ?

You won't ever have the same road characteristics in a portapotty on tank thread vs a minivan on tires designed to make you hear you child throwing up cheetos with pixie dust in the third row.
SAWCE

Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm
A few things...

First of all, make sure the body shop didn't remove a drain plug from the floor and forgot to put it back. I had an engineering JT last year where the drain plugs were removed for reasons and the road noise increase was incredible. Not sure if they did work in that area, but it's worth peeling back the carpet under in the front footwells to check.

Headliners make a massive difference in road/wind noise, at least in the JL. I suspect the JK is similar, so that's where I'd start if I were you.
Thanks for the plug tip!

I like that hotheads brand out in Texas. They get great reviews and I have some military buddies that will hook me up with their discount.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:58 pm
I wouldn't fuck with it... that's the name of the game in these things. Also you're on worn tires correct ?

You won't ever have the same road characteristics in a portapotty on tank thread vs a minivan on tires designed to make you hear you child throwing up cheetos with pixie dust in the third row.
I thought you liked the one in your buddy’s Jeep? Same brand I’m planning on getting. A few hundred bucks to lower the noise level and keep it a little cooler inside during the summer when I have the top on isn’t the worst way to spend money..
max225

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:26 pm
max225 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:58 pm

I thought you liked the one in your buddy’s Jeep? Same brand I’m planning on getting. A few hundred bucks to lower the noise level and keep it a little cooler inside during the summer when I have the top on isn’t the worst way to spend money..
I have no direct experience with the headliner... my buddy has a ST. I have about 5k miles under various HD under my belt, none with the headliner. I was just letting you know that "making a jeep quieter" is a pretty futile exercise, especially considering you run topless a bit.
ChrisoftheNorth

SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:24 pm
Detroit wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:55 pm
A few things...

Thanks for the plug tip!

I like that hotheads brand out in Texas. They get great reviews and I have some military buddies that will hook me up with their discount.
Yep, I'd buy from hotheads. Like max said, it won't be like a traditional vehicle, but the headliner should help quiet it down nicely. I'm surprised by how much quieter our JL with the headliner is compared to my JT without. There's also tires and whatnot, but the wind noise is quite dampened by the headliner.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:30 pm
SAWCE wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:26 pm

I have no direct experience with the headliner... my buddy has a ST. I have about 5k miles under various HD under my belt, none with the headliner. I was just letting you know that "making a jeep quieter" is a pretty futile exercise, especially considering you run topless a bit.
Oh yeah I’m not expecting to feel like I’m in a modern car, it’s just after spending two weeks in one I’m not used to the noise of the Jeep anymore. I’m sure in a week or two it’ll seem normal again, but it’s still be a decent upgrade to throw the liner in there at some point.