Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
Apex
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Abominable

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 am I’ve never done anything with towing before.. will they or I need to wire anything up?
Only if you need lights or brakes on a trailer.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:10 am I’ve never done anything with towing before.. will they or I need to wire anything up?
Not to install the hitch. Hitch install is stupid easy on a JK. BUT it won't have wiring to go with it, so you really can't tow anything legally. If you wanted to, adding the tow wiring harness is really easy, it just plugs in behind the driver tail light, all plug and play if you buy a mopar harness.

I installed the hitch and wiring on my JK...there was a mopar kit I used with both the hitch and wiring. VERY easy.

I then towed my MK6 GTI on a dolly behind the JK from CA to MI. Stupid in hindsight, but it made it...

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
Apex
Drives: Abominable

Detroit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:45 am
Not to install the hitch. Hitch install is stupid easy on a JK. BUT it won't have wiring to go with it, so you really can't tow anything legally. If you wanted to, adding the tow wiring harness is really easy, it just plugs in behind the driver tail light, all plug and play if you buy a mopar harness.

I installed the hitch and wiring on my JK...there was a mopar kit I used with both the hitch and wiring. VERY easy.

I then towed my MK6 GTI on a dolly behind the JK from CA to MI. Stupid in hindsight, but it made it...

Orange :wub:
Half doors :jimp:
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Sweet! Since it’s so easy, if they ask about doing it I’ll tell them “no” and just do it myself whenever I’ll finally need to tow something.

Thank you all!
ChrisoftheNorth

Apex wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 am

AND :manuel:

It was simultaneously the worst vehicle I had and the best because of the half doors.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 am
Apex wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:46 am

It was simultaneously the worst vehicle I had and the best because of the half doors.
Worth more now than 10 years ago when you bought it lol.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:21 am
Detroit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 am

I actually got what I paid for it when I traded it on the Saab a few years after I bought the JK. But yea, I could have driven it all this time and not lost a dime. :ohwell: that thing was miserable in MI.
max225

Detroit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm
max225 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:21 am

I actually got what I paid for it when I traded it on the Saab a few years after I bought the JK. But yea, I could have driven it all this time and not lost a dime. :ohwell: that thing was miserable in MI.
Yea while I get the whole Scene points for the half doors.
That’s frigging miserable to be sitting in a tent on the freeway and having to unzip to pay a bridge toll …
Desertbreh
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin

What was the top speed of this setup?
Detroit wrote:Buy 911s instead of diamonds.
Johnny_P wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:21 pm Earn it and burn it, Val.
max225 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:35 pm Yes it's a cool car. But prepare the lube/sawdust.
max225

Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:38 pm

65 miseries per mile
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:36 pm
Detroit wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 pm
Yea while I get the whole Scene points for the half doors.
That’s frigging miserable to be sitting in a tent on the freeway and having to unzip to pay a bridge toll …
Half doors are epic when the weather is nice and the uppers are off. Miserable the rest of the time. loud AF, annoying zippers, just terrible overall. Bronco nailed it with frameless doors.
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:39 pm
Desertbreh wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:38 pm

65 miseries per mile
TOPS

Most of the journey was around 60. It was overloaded more than I care to admit, so speed had to be kept in check because the brakes were not up to snuff.
SAWCE

Damn.. shop just called, Jeep is ready to pick up in a few hours.. they were supposed to call to verify the part number for the hitch receiver and what he read me over the phone when I asked is different than what I’d found for that bumper. They said they got it directly from Jeep, so I’m sure it’s fine, but it ended up being like $280 when everything I was seeing for the one I found was $180ish. :derp: guessing it won’t be worth it to fight them and have them buy/install the other one since this is already on now. I guess I technically did give him authorization to proceed yesterday, I just thought he’d reach out today with the cost/part number before actually buying and installing... We’ll see how it looks when I go pick it up in a bit.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:32 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:20 pm Damn.. shop just called, Jeep is ready to pick up in a few hours.. they were supposed to call to verify the part number for the hitch receiver and what he read me over the phone when I asked is different than what I’d found for that bumper. They said they got it directly from Jeep, so I’m sure it’s fine, but it ended up being like $280 when everything I was seeing for the one I found was $180ish. :derp: guessing it won’t be worth it to fight them and have them buy/install the other one since this is already on now. I guess I technically did give him authorization to proceed yesterday, I just thought he’d reach out today with the cost/part number before actually buying and installing... We’ll see how it looks when I go pick it up in a bit.
Internet price vs. :dillerman: parts price? :iono:
Probably. But it was also a totally different part number than what I put here, unless they were using some internal p/n. We’ll see what the invoice says. Gonna head out to fuel up the rental and return that in a few minutes then walk over to the service place.
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 8:29 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 7:45 pm

Probably. But it was also a totally different part number than what I put here, unless they were using some internal p/n. We’ll see what the invoice says. Gonna head out to fuel up the rental and return that in a few minutes then walk over to the service place.
in4pics
It turned out really nice looking. The bumper matches really well. I’ll snag some in a second.
SAWCE

SAWCE

So this is confusing... looked up the part number they used for the receiver and the Quadratec site says it’s not compatible with this bumper:

SAWCE

Should I call and request they use that other part number? Don’t want to actually go to tow something one day and have some sort of failure and lose a trailer or something..
SAWCE

[user not found] wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 am
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:18 pm Should I call and request they use that other part number? Don’t want to actually go to tow something one day and have some sort of failure and lose a trailer or something..
Call quadratec and ask why it’s not compatible.

I would think it’s due to fitment/clearances, not the bumper itself.

Visually, it seems to be compatible to me.
Good call. I saw it listed as not compatible on a few other Mopar parts sites too, but they were listing it as being incompatible with the actual Rubicon not just the bumper :iono:
max225

SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm Image

Welcome back ! New bumper looks good. do you happen to know the final tally?
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:01 pm
SAWCE wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm Image

With the upgraded bumper and hitch receiver it was like $3700.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:45 pm
max225 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:01 pm

With the upgraded bumper and hitch receiver it was like $3700.
:notbad:
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

SAWCE wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:58 am
[user not found] wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:32 am

Call quadratec and ask why it’s not compatible.

I would think it’s due to fitment/clearances, not the bumper itself.

Visually, it seems to be compatible to me.
Good call. I saw it listed as not compatible on a few other Mopar parts sites too, but they were listing it as being incompatible with the actual Rubicon not just the bumper :iono:
If the receiver is compatible with a Wrangler in general I wouldn’t really sweat it. The install is four large bolts that are pre drilled (assuming it’s the same as the JLU), not much that could really go wrong if it clears the bumper which it looks to do fine.

The cost is a bit annoying but they’ve gotta make their margin/San Diego rent I guess.

I didn’t do the wiring on ours either, I’ve just used it for the bike rack so far. I’ll DIY it should we need to actually tow at any point.
Irish
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Senior Chief Patty Officer
Drives: '12 GIT (190K!)- 2011 Outie A5

I have gotten a few kits over the years

https://www.etrailer.com/
SAWCE

D Griff wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:48 am
SAWCE wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:58 am

If the receiver is compatible with a Wrangler in general I wouldn’t really sweat it. The install is four large bolts that are pre drilled (assuming it’s the same as the JLU), not much that could really go wrong if it clears the bumper which it looks to do fine.

The cost is a bit annoying but they’ve gotta make their margin/San Diego rent I guess.

I didn’t do the wiring on ours either, I’ve just used it for the bike rack so far. I’ll DIY it should we need to actually tow at any point.
Yeah I’m not going to worry about it.

A) I doubt I ever tow anything
B) they guarantee all their work for the life of the vehicle, so if I ever do tow something and it fucks up, that’s on them :aintcare: