Jeeponomics 201: Toledo Griff

Brothers of brub and brap, this is your safe space.
ChrisoftheNorth
Drives: 4R

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:27 am
:notbad:

I do think Mojave is likely the way to go, but I need to drive one.
:dillerman: around me at least are treating them differently... Showroom floor + no (reduced) discounts...
Mojave is new and also really intended for the west coast where there's plenty of open offroad space to blast on. I suspect you'll get better deals on Rubicons for a while.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225
Chief Master Sirloin of the Wasteful Steak
Drives: Taco+ Bavarian lemon

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:34 am
:dillerman: around me at least are treating them differently... Showroom floor + no (reduced) discounts...
Mojave is new and also really intended for the west coast where there's plenty of open offroad space to blast on. I suspect you'll get better deals on Rubicons for a while.
Yea... but i mean I paid 48k for my taco, and I fail to see what a mojave does better for an extra 10-15k :iono:
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:39 am
Yea... but i mean I paid 48k for my taco, and I fail to see what a mojave does better for an extra 10-15k :iono:
It'll hammer off-road faster and longer than the Taco...and the roof comes off. That's about it.

I have a hard time justifying it myself, but I really like the roof removal aspect, and use it constantly.
Desertbreh wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:40 pm My guess would be that Chris took some time off because he has read the dialogue on this page 1,345 times and decided to spend some of his free time doing something besides beating a horse to death.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:46 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:42 am

It'll hammer off-road faster and longer than the Taco...and the roof comes off. That's about it.

I have a hard time justifying it myself, but I really like the roof removal aspect, and use it constantly.
I hear ya... but rear smol window 4 windows and moon roof open. Good enough for me. And it’s only fun sub 35mph, where I apparently spend almost no time :-/
ChrisoftheNorth

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:53 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:46 am

I hear ya... but rear smol window 4 windows and moon roof open. Good enough for me. And it’s only fun sub 35mph, where I apparently spend almost no time :-/
Roof off is subjective for sure.

But man...bombing the desert at 50mph is a riot. Takes serious suspension to handle it, which the Taco can...but the Mojave really excels at it.

Worthless for most people that will never do that stuff, so it is largely a :butwhy: It is better on road :doe: , but I doubt it's significantly better than the Taco.
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

Desertbreh wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:46 am
Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:28 am
Digging back for this one eh?
I've been gone for a while. Is this Pre V6 Ram material?
:dat:

Welcome back, now we just need JohnnyP, :waxer: , 'Pecs, probably more.
max225

Detroit wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:56 am
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:53 am

Roof off is subjective for sure.

But man...bombing the desert at 50mph is a riot. Takes serious suspension to handle it, which the Taco can...but the Mojave really excels at it.

Worthless for most people that will never do that stuff, so it is largely a :butwhy: It is better on road :doe: , but I doubt it's significantly better than the Taco.
Very curious... wonder if there is any way to find out... hydraulic bump stops and remote fronts are the two major differences. I think that's a fairly limited use application.
SAWCE
Command Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Ebombtra

Welp. :jeep: took a beating last night. My dumbass was in a hurry trying to get to the gym and didn’t come to a full stop at a stop sign and missed the dude coming on the cross street with no stop sign. Shitty. Rude awakening for me needing to break that bad habit.

Steel bumper took the impact like a champ and really saved the body from getting worse damage.

Dropped her off at a body shop this morning and cruising in a Dodge Journey in the meantime.
SAWCE

Front passenger wheel is a little out of alignment, was getting some mild vibrations on the freeway this morning taking it to the shop once I got up to 60mph. Steering wheel is cocked about 45° clockwise, and the cruise control buttons don’t work.

Passenger fender will need to be replaced for sure. Assuming those body panels will as well.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 pm Front passenger wheel is a little out of alignment, was getting some mild vibrations on the freeway this morning taking it to the shop once I got up to 60mph. Steering wheel is cocked about 45° clockwise, and the cruise control buttons don’t work.

Passenger fender will need to be replaced for sure. Assuming those body panels will as well.
Oof. Sorry this was added to your day, nothing fun about breaking expensive stuff. :(
SAWCE

Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:32 pm Front passenger wheel is a little out of alignment, was getting some mild vibrations on the freeway this morning taking it to the shop once I got up to 60mph. Steering wheel is cocked about 45° clockwise, and the cruise control buttons don’t work.

Oof. Sorry this was added to your day, nothing fun about breaking expensive stuff. :(
Yeah.. shitty. $500 deductible, so not too terrible, but definitely $500 I’d rather not be spending.
Tar
Chief Master Sirloin
Chief Master Sirloin
Drives: Beige Family Sedan sans Dent

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:57 pm
Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Yeah.. shitty. $500 deductible, so not too terrible, but definitely $500 I’d rather not be spending.
Did you get dinged with an "at fault" for it? I have a policy add-on that lets me get away with one at fault accident without an increase in my rates. Tickets on the other hand are not covered so I'm better off smashing into someone then I am speeding or getting nailed with a distracted driving charge.
SAWCE

Tarspin wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:03 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:57 pm

Did you get dinged with an "at fault" for it? I have a policy add-on that lets me get away with one at fault accident without an increase in my rates. Tickets on the other hand are not covered so I'm better off smashing into someone then I am speeding or getting nailed with a distracted driving charge.
I filed everything through the Geico app, but there wasn’t a spot for a narrative for me to explain what happened, and I haven’t been contacted by anyone over there yet.. I’m sure I’ll be counted as the one who’s at fault, and don’t mind fessing up to that since I should have come to a complete stop. I’m
Not sure if Geico has a first time accident forgiveness program or not..
D Griff
Trollistrator
Trollistrator
Drives: Bicycles/Two Feet

:disappoint: sorry man, that is a real drag.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm Welp. :jeep: took a beating last night. My dumbass was in a hurry trying to get to the gym and didn’t come to a full stop at a stop sign and missed the dude coming on the cross street with no stop sign. Shitty. Rude awakening for me needing to break that bad habit.

Steel bumper took the impact like a champ and really saved the body from getting worse damage.

Dropped her off at a body shop this morning and cruising in a Dodge Journey in the meantime.
:yikes: that's a pretty solid hit. Your fender looks tweaked... I hope it didn't get the frame because the bumper didn't absorb the energy and passed it straight through :yikes: Hope you're ok... same with the other guy :doe:
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:30 pm Welp. :jeep: took a beating last night. My dumbass was in a hurry trying to get to the gym and didn’t come to a full stop at a stop sign and missed the dude coming on the cross street with no stop sign. Shitty. Rude awakening for me needing to break that bad habit.

:yikes: that's a pretty solid hit. Your fender looks tweaked... I hope it didn't get the frame because the bumper didn't absorb the energy and passed it straight through :yikes: Hope you're ok... same with the other guy :doe:
Yeah the fender is barely hanging on. Was flapping in the wind driving to the body shop this morning. It’ll get replaced for sure.

A little worried about the frame because of that too, but the bumper did roll up a fair amount and absorbed quite a bit of the blow.

Both parties are okay. He was a little shaken up (don’t think he was paying super close attention either as he should have easily avoided me once I came to a stop in the intersection), but unharmed. I doubt he was going faster than 30mph before hitting the brakes if he even had time to hit them.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:09 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:25 pm
Yeah the fender is barely hanging on. Was flapping in the wind driving to the body shop this morning. It’ll get replaced for sure.

A little worried about the frame because of that too, but the bumper did roll up a fair amount and absorbed quite a bit of the blow.

Both parties are okay. He was a little shaken up (don’t think he was paying super close attention either as he should have easily avoided me once I came to a stop in the intersection), but unharmed. I doubt he was going faster than 30mph before hitting the brakes if he even had time to hit them.
So what exactly happened two :derp: s didn’t see each other in a stop sign ? Did you admit guilt and or call the popo
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:09 pm

So what exactly happened two :derp: s didn’t see each other in a stop sign ? Did you admit guilt and or call the popo
He didn’t have a stop sign. I did, but I did a Cali stop and must have missed him when I checked that side briefly before rolling on. It was for sure my fault. No cops called. I haven’t been contacted officially by either of our insurance companies yet to talk about what happened doe.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:18 pm
max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:14 pm

He didn’t have a stop sign. I did, but I did a Cali stop and must have missed him when I checked that side briefly before rolling on. It was for sure my fault. No cops called. I haven’t been contacted officially by either of our insurance companies yet to talk about what happened doe.
10/4z man that ranger was pretty clean too 😳. Rare to see them that nice. Surprised to see him have that little damage
SAWCE

Yeah I feel bad. Looks like he takes good care of it even though it’s his work truck. Hopefully whatever shop he takes it too gets him taken care of nicely.
max225

SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:41 pm Yeah I feel bad. Looks like he takes good care of it even though it’s his work truck. Hopefully whatever shop he takes it too gets him taken care of nicely.

So here is what I think needs doing...

Fender flare+light
Wheel resurface
Fender
New Grille
Straightening of hood
New bumper
Tie rod ends/possibly spindle/axle/wheel bearing
a few hrs on the frame machine to "straighten" it out. (possibly)

All in all probably about 6-7k is my guesstimate.
SAWCE

max225 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:48 pm
SAWCE wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:41 pm Yeah I feel bad. Looks like he takes good care of it even though it’s his work truck. Hopefully whatever shop he takes it too gets him taken care of nicely.

So here is what I think needs doing...

Fender flare+light
Wheel resurface
Fender
New Grille
Straightening of hood
New bumper
Tie rod ends/possibly spindle/axle/wheel bearing
a few hrs on the frame machine to "straighten" it out. (possibly)

All in all probably about 6-7k is my guesstimate.
Probably pretty spot on. Wheel might not need refinishing, I think it’s just dirty lol. I didn’t look too closely afterwards since I was bummed out.

I’ll post up what I get from the shop to compare to your list.
max225

Right around the "terrain" font there are some major scratches. Also given that you mentioned you steering etc is off it looks like the wheel/axle took the brunt of that hit. Which explains the somewhat limited damage
max225

Are they going to get to it today ? or "trying times everyone has covid we gotta wait a week" type bs? Is this shop affiliated with your insurance ? Make sure you chose a reputable shop, it can make or break a repair.
SAWCE

Oh yeah, I see what you’re talking about now.

Shop is affiliated with my insurance. I scrolled through their list of shops and chose the one with the highest rating. It sounded like they were going to get started on it today, but I wasn’t given any sort of a timeline at all... I’ll call tomorrow and see what they think.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fix+aut ... _id:kgCKee